Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

It's like cruising at 80 mph on your leather living room sofa.

That's exactly how my wife described the '67 Lincoln Continental I owned 30 years ago.  We drove cross country in it in 1982 and never worried about not finding a hotel!  ^_^

Last weekend we took the two big ones, the '56 Roadmaster and the '69 Electra out to storage. A nice Fall day, and a sad one to be putting them away for another year!

I finally got the new, rebuilt master cylinder installed on the '41 Roadmaster, which is staying in the home garage again this year. So I took it out for a cruise on this great Fall day. Unbelievable weather for Nov 2!

Keith

41BuickatCudia.jpg

41BuickatCudia2.jpg

ElectraatStorage.jpg

TwoBuicks.jpg

• Like 8

It looks like its' me again to post. After a bit more bleeding and some adjustments to the brakes and they are very good again, as I wasn't entirely satisfied with them on my first test drive. After supper Glenda and I took it out for what turned out to be a 20 mile drive. I had been doing some adjustments on the right side vent window, as it had quite a bit of wind noise, so I took it out on the highway for a quick run at 60 MPH and it was very quiet, also I had found a couple of gaps around the firewall, which I plugged, so a bit less engine noise as well.

Once I do, or maybe I should say, if I ever get the 3.4 gears installed, it will make the engine less obtrusive as well.

Extremely pleasant weather again here in Toronto for Nov. I've shoveled snow at this time of year, never mind having a vintage car out for a drive.

I hope that everyone is having a great weekend.

Keith

• Like 4

Took the Skylark to an event in Egg Harbor Township NJ known as Fleming's Pumpkin Run. Acres and acres of cars (antiques, classics, stock cars, you name it), farm equipment, tractors (as in tractor-trailers) and various other things. Buick was represented by a few examples that included a '64 Skylark convertible, a '64 LeSabre, an early '80s Regal, and a '57 Caballero. There were others here and there but I didn't have time to walk the whole thing, and it was one of those venues in the woods that's not arranged in an easily recognizable pattern where you can easily determine where you've been. The place used to be a junkyard, and several rotting carcasses remain among the trees. It's an annual event that I will most likely return to.

The car gave a flawless performance on the six hour round trip, if you don't count the broken cigarette lighter socket that I will attend to this afternoon.

Jim

Edited by Machine Gun
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Although I've been driving the 56 every day this week, it's been short rides.  Today I had the Electra out for Church and usual Sunday AM errands.  Just a few minutes ago I got back from a spirited ride in a 50 Special Sedanette, 3 speed car. An entry level car with not many options.  But wow!  It can really go!  Climbing hills in 3rd gear and picking up speed!  Now, I want one!

• Like 5

Friday afternoon was the end of the "old" Buick driving season as I drove a manual brake Reatta to the country for the winter. We need to completely deal with the brakes in the spring. I still have a few things that need dealing with for winterization. I did manage to put the snow blower on the tractor...that's always a bit of a bear. 

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

Friday afternoon was the end of the "old" Buick driving season as I drove a manual brake Reatta to the country for the winter. We need to completely deal with the brakes in the spring. I still have a few things that need dealing with for winterization. I did manage to put the snow blower on the tractor...that's always a bit of a bear. 

I got the New Holland tractor at the house for snow removal.  Brought it down a couple of weeks ago.    Snow :(

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Well, I had the '41 Roadmaster out the last couple of days for a few miles each day. Yesterday I met one my friends, a real Ford/Mercury guy for lunch, and then took him for a cruise in it. He was quite impressed by its' comfort and power! No surprise for us Buick guys.

Then tonight my wife and I went for an after supper cruise, through the East end of the city and circled back home, gassed it up, but not too full, then put it away in the garage.

The areas North of the city are expecting 5-10  inches of snow during the weekend! Zowie! Glad that Toronto is in what we call the "Banana Belt". Most of the snow goes either North of us, or South through upper New York state.

Anyway, forgive me the weather report! I hope that I will be able to get the car out for some more driving this year, but we will have to wait and see.

Keith

• Like 1

We had snow flurries here yesterday in Detroit area.  Nothing on the ground yet except leaves from the high winds the night before last.

Time to start tearing apart the truck to fix the torque ball / joint. 

Then on to work on the Flint Wagon Works wagon in preparation of the dedication of GM Factory 1 in the spring.

• Like 2

I was able to take out all 3 Buicks out this weekend before the winter weather came in to central PA. I did errands with the 1937 Friday evening. Then on Saturday took the 1925-25 Standard out for a couple of trips around town. While I have been sorting out the "new" Buick, I thought I would put down the top and see if the boot I had made for the 1925 Standard would fit. The boot fits the 1924-45 Master perfectly! I took her for a drive of several miles and she seems to run better each time out. Still have a lot of sorting out to do yet. But, this car wants to roll!

DSCF2456.JPGDSCF5628.JPGDSCF5684.JPG1DSCF5685.JPGDSCF5686.JPG

• Like 8

The last time I posted here, I had parked my car at a farm on the coast. There was this big scare that the winds were going to be as strong as some gust storm in the early 1960s that blew down the original barn, so I went to go get the car. It was only natural that the storm wasn't nearly as big as everyone thought it was going to be so now the car has been sitting out in the rain at home with me. That being said, my grandpa and I went out tonight and the only photo I snapped was at the bank at the end of our ride.

15085484_10155411040305830_6307182126766

I feel more connected to this car than the car I used to call "daily driver." I'm not sure if it's because of all the pain I've endured during its reconstruction or the sentimental value it holds to both myself and my grandfather, but the car has become an experience for me rather than a mode of transportation and I just feel out of place if I'm not driving it. On the plus side, it gets comparable gas mileage around town to my 2002 Jeep Liberty so no harm done I guess.

• Like 10

Just had the 56 out for a short drive.  Actually, I rode, and Justin ( my son ) drove.  I am so bummed that it is the end of the driving season in this area, and chances to drive it are slim and few, if any at all.  It began snowing as we put it away.  But it was even a thrill in the passengers seat!

• Like 3

John, I'm not sure that I can give you a like, as I too am very sad that it looks like the driving season could be over. We have had tons and tons of salt on our roads over the last few days, and only a couple of inches of snow, but today it rained, and if we get rain instead of snow I will get the '41 out for a bit more driving.

Cool that you rode in your own car!

Keith

• Like 2

I hear you Keith.  It's been snowing and freezing rain here since this afternoon.  Hard to put a like to that and road salt.  But I'll still like that we can share these experiences no matter the season.

• Like 2

Having great weather here the last couple of days, so today we took the '39 to the Plano Nature Preserve hiking and bicycle park.  Drove about 20 miles and walked about 2 miles.  Home for some lunch, then might drive down to the Farmers Branch Historical Park for another walk - that is about 5 miles from home.  Will see how strongly a nap calls me after lunch.

• Like 3

A very pleasant weekend here in Toronto after a couple of days of rain to wash away the salt. So I had the '41 out for a short drive yesterday to our favourite coffee shop. Only 18-20 miles in total, but it was great to get it out for a nice drive. Today was even nicer, but unfortunately too much other stuff going on to today to get the car out.

Keith

• Like 3

So, had the 56' all cleaned up and ready to be put in storage for the winter.  Woke up this morning and the diesel in my truck was jelled up (20 deg f).  So, the 56' took me to work and stretched her legs all

afternoon.  Drove her around until around 8:30 while running errands.  We are expecting rain for the next two days.  Will probably go into storage on Thursday.

• Like 4

It was cool (mid 30's F) but sunny and dry, so I took both Goldie & my GP out for a spin.  Stopped at the local ethanol-free pub and topped off the Riviera.  Hopefully this winter will be similar to last year and I'll get a chance to take them out at least once a month before spring...

• Like 2

Had to shuffle them to get the 57 "75" in position for a brake master cylinder and booster replacement.  It barely stops at this point.  I'll also be doing some other things to it and the 76C over the winter in preparation for the national meet in 2017!  So, it was a very short drive!

• Like 2

I could not resist taking my 1937 Century out today to pick up our Christmas Tree. It might not be the most practical car for this job but it certainly got some good comments locally.

DSC_0313.JPG

• Like 8

5 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I could not resist taking my 1937 Century out today to pick up our Christmas Tree. It might not be the most practical car for this job but it certainly got some good comments locally.

You're not afraid of scratches? I mean I drive my car without a care whether or not it gets scuffed, and probably will continue to do so after it gets painted to an extent, but I'm just really surprised - I would have thought that most collectors would shy away from such a thing.

It is a survivor. It is a driver. I drive it. It is not a show car. It has a very old repaint. The enjoyment of the trip was worth the time that I had to spend cleaning the tree needles off of it after the trip. A little bit of rubbing compound will take care of any minor scuffs that I might find on the roof. They made them to drive. 

• Like 10

21 hours ago, MCHinson said:

It is a survivor. It is a driver. I drive it. It is not a show car. It has a very old repaint. The enjoyment of the trip was worth the time that I had to spend cleaning the tree needles off of it after the trip. A little bit of rubbing compound will take care of any minor scuffs that I might find on the roof. They made them to drive. 

I feel the same about mine. That's really awesome! My mother always tells me that classic cars are not meant to be driven by today's standards, even before I had pulled the engine so that's all I've ever really known until I became a bigger part of this community. Even if I had the money to do a "400 point restoration", it would always still be a driver.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

190 miles yesterday in the blue/white 55:  temps in mid 80's so the A/C got some action as did the electric fuel pump to correct vapor lock.  Went to see Bill Stoneberg and play with this toys.  Finally got a ride in his 65 Riviera...HOL-EEE SCHNOT, that thing is a beast!  From a well mannered cruiser to a raging bull when romped.  That recently rebuild 425 really woke up that car.  The last one I remember running that good was 65 Wildcat that spanked a 409.

Fun day!

• Like 4

I took a little test drive in my 12 Roadster to verify the fix for my replacement universal and torque tube.  All went well, but I need to smooth out the shifting on this car.  Most older cars have their own best shifting routine & I need more driving time with this one to make it shift better.

Rachael_&_Sabrina_in_12_roadster_3.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3