Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

7 hours ago, PWB said:

Apparently - the wife took her out while I was out of town! 1/4 tank missing

Uh oh -- if she keeps that up it won't be long before you're both fighting for the keys!  (Maybe you shouldn't have been so quick to sell Goldie...  :unsure:)

10 hours ago, PWB said:

I've never seen the Reatta tail at night. Impressive!    ^_^   Hats off, thanks

- maybe this finally explains the quadruple Reatta threads as to ROA....

The Reatta forum has been going since 2000; the ROA forum since 2006. But there's still a huge difference between the two.  It's either a popularity issue or a technical difficulty issue.  You can decide.

• Like 2

I finally got the '41 Roadmaster out for a short cruise after supper tonight. I've been doing a few small improvements to it lately. A rebuilt distributor seems to have helped, and also there is an air weighted butterfly valve under the back carb, and the shaft was sticking open at times. The way the induction system is designed on these dual carb engines is that they idle off of both the front and rear carbs, then when the revs go up, vacuum opens the lower valve so that the rear carb feeds my hungry 320 more gas. So when it sticks open, the idle is bad due to too much air being drawn through the rear carb. So I took the back carb and the bottom unit off, and took it all apart. The shaft was worn in an odd manner, kind of like curved ridges worn into it. So I bored the housing very slightly oversize, and made up a new shaft and carefully fit it into the housing, with new holes tapped for the butterflies themselves. Hopefully it will now work properly! Then some careful re tuning was needed.

I used to build model steam engines and set up a small machine shop in my basement many years ago, so I have the tools to do a small job like this.

I also had the carpet out to put modern insulation on the floor, and under the firewall insulator, so it is also noticeably quieter on the road.

All in all a very nice test drive, it was running well, pulling well from about 8 MPH in third, and though I didn't have it out to the highway, I ran it to nearly 40 in second on full power, and it pulled strong all the way.

Thanks for listening guys!

Keith

• Like 6

Well today we went out to bring the Electra home from storage, as we have a tour next weekend which we plan to it take on. A rather cold and gloomy day here in Toronto, with rain here and there, but we were able to miss it. It is a nice drive to and from the storage facility, but I took the highway for most of the way, rather than the scenic route, as I wanted to get home before the rain hit.

The car ran great, about a 60 mile trip, one way.

Keith

• Like 2

Saturday was the first car show of the season in the Boston area (Needham) for me and a buddy of mine.  Both '92's, his a Caddy Coupe Deville and mine a Riviera.

IMG_2599_edit-607x226.jpg

• Like 7

I am heading off to the Australian Riviera Nationals event this weekend, well its being held 10 miles from my home so I can't complain and wouldn't miss it, others are driving 600 miles to attend. We even have a couple from Kansas attending. A fellow club member has lent me his '78 Riv. Bit of a change from the '36 and I can't wait! Pictures will follow...  

• Like 7

ROA Australia Nationals started today with a trip to Gosford Car Museum, which is located 65 miles north of Sydney, 400 cars on site. Have a look at their website for pictures of the collection. Followed by a drive up into the country side and lunch at an historic pub. Sunny, warm autumn day with Buick, who could ask for more??MAH03692.MP4

DSC03697.JPG

DSC03706.JPG

DSC03708.JPG

DSC03710.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

The Riv's are so beautiful.  I think the 66/67 is just an awesome design...

I do not wish offend, but I too like the 66, 7 &8's too the best.

Though I'm known as a "stock guy" I have this idea and a mental image of a mild custom Riv that I'd like to do, using one of those years. Dark blue, and I like a late model GM colour, Imperial Blue, {but its' not like I have to choose a colour yet!} with shaved door handles, silver or pale silvery blue leather seats, and a few other touches.

Anyway, I hope you guys don't hate me for this!

Keith

• Like 1

Today we had the first day of the McLaughlin Buick Club Spring Tour. We traveled in the Electra, and covered about 180 miles. Dull and rainy all day here, though we didn't have the volume of rain falling as yesterday, thankfully. We visited Legendary Motor Car and had a personal tour of the restoration facilities. They do all manner of cars there, but their specialty are muscle cars. They had quite a few Mustang Cobra's from the 60's, and at least 6 of AC Cobra's, one of which was owned and used by Carroll Shelby himself for a couple of years.

They also have a number of cars for sale, perhaps 60-70. One of them was a 1953 Muntz Jet. I've read about them, but had never seen one till today. Mostly they have muscle cars for sale too, but they also had a 20's Rolls Royce roadster, a 30's V12 Packard, and a 1946 Hudson convert. Everything in the showroom was done to a very high standard, with pricing to match!

After lunch we visited a private collection of about 12 cars and trucks, mainly Chevies, but thousands of items of gas station memorabilia, pumps, toys, maps, trucks. You name it and he had it, plus other household products, tabacco cans, etc. All displayed in a museum like setting, must be 20-30,000 sq feet or so. A whole room full of Supertest stuff, a couple of trucks, plus gas pumps from the tall clear vision ones, to more modern ones. An amazing collection, all of which is due to be auctioned off in about a month's time. Hard to believe a man would sell off such a collection, but its' true.

I will post pictures  when I get them off of my camera. We had restrictions on photography at Legendary, so I didn't take many there, but not at Allan Bray's place.

Tomorrow we have a short tour and then we're off to lunch at a theatre, and a show afterwards.

Keith

• Like 4

Thought it was time the old girl got out for a shakedown.  It was a glorious sunny Autumn day here and the car drove beautifully as usual with the top down.

Picture shows my 1929 tourer and son's 1962 Wildcat parked up at the coffee stop car park.

IMG_7182.JPG

IMG_7183.JPG

• Like 4

26 Rivieras on the road with a few other Buick models along for the ride. "Lost in the "50s" was amazing, not only for the cars but the huge  collection of '50s paraphernalia. Just a few photos of to give you all and idea of what was on show and one of my loan Riv and the newest Buick convert, my daughter. 

DSC03737.JPG

DSC03747.JPG

DSC03727.JPG

• Like 4

Then I get home and the neighbors new, to him, car from florida is delivered by this guy.

0507171610.thumb.jpg.50297210d0d25adcf914ee15ebf6bb2c.jpg

Yes, those are 55 Buick portholes. In addition the roof is chopped and the doors are reversed as suicide doors.  Lol

• Like 2

Today was the second day of the tour, but it was close to home so we drove home, instead of staying at the hotel, which also gave me the chance to change cars. So we took the '41 Roadmaster to the dinner (lunch really) theatre. I was the by far the oldest car there, a few 60's cars, most of the others were driving modern iron, due to the bad weather at the end of the week. So I got lots of comments about the car from various people. It got us there and back, but was not happy much above 50-55 mph, it was bogging, and generally not responding well. At lower speeds it ran well, pulling steady from about 10 mph in third, and the idle was the smoothest I've ever had it, and quite consistent, and we had quite a number of stops through the city portion of the run. So perhaps progress has been made, but I have to get running well at high speeds as well. Not too far today, about 50 miles or so round trip. The weather was improved a lot over yesterday, so it was even sunny for a while!

Keith

41BuickHerongateA.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Beemon said:

I don't recall there being goats in the 50s... :P

I'm pretty sure there have always been goats...

Finally worked myself up to go out to the carriage house and fire the limo yesterday. The last time we had it out last autumn, it started to stumble and stutter on the way to an event, so I took it home and parked it. Replaced the shocks over the winter but didn't have weather good enough to take it out and test it. I'll also admit that I've been hesitant to try--I get frustrated when the cars are broken and the limo's ailment was so mysterious that I wasn't even sure where to start. Nevertheless, I got in, turned the key, and punched it and the sucker fired up just like it always does. Five minutes later it was idling almost silently in my driveway. I took it for a few shakedown runs up and down the street, let it idle to get it hot (the big guy refuses to go over 160 degrees) and there's no sign of the mysterious aliment that curbed it last fall. No idea--maybe a carbful of bad gas?

Anyway, here it is dirty but mechanically healthy sitting in my driveway last night after dinner. We'll get it cleaned up and ready to tour and show this summer. I have to admit that I love driving this car. I love looking at it. Mechanically, it's as powerful as a locomotive and I'm always happy to see it in the garage. It was a good decision to keep this one, it brings me a great deal of pleasure to own it. More upgrades are in store in the coming months, all with the goal of making it a bulletproof high-speed tour car for my family. I have a trick dual carb setup on the shelf with a pair of 2-barrel Rochesters running in parallel and a guy is making me a set of headers to replace my cracked manifolds. We'll see what happens, but right now it's running so well I don't want to touch anything.

59107193c9985_2016-04-1519_32_06a.jpg.8bdf3b48f922ff243ce35dd14b3c6d9d.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Today was the second day of the tour, but it was close to home so we drove home, instead of staying at the hotel, which also gave me the chance to change cars. So we took the '41 Roadmaster to the dinner (lunch really) theatre. I was the by far the oldest car there, a few 60's cars, most of the others were driving modern iron, due to the bad weather at the end of the week. So I got lots of comments about the car from various people. It got us there and back, but was not happy much above 50-55 mph, it was bogging, and generally not responding well. At lower speeds it ran well, pulling steady from about 10 mph in third, and the idle was the smoothest I've ever had it, and quite consistent, and we had quite a number of stops through the city portion of the run. So perhaps progress has been made, but I have to get running well at high speeds as well. Not too far today, about 50 miles or so round trip. The weather was improved a lot over yesterday, so it was even sunny for a while!

Keith

Keith, I've had more than one car where I could tune it to have either a nice idle or good road manners, but not both. Two of those cars have been early '60s Thunderbirds, so not really relevant, but my '41 Limited is the same way. It doesn't have a perfect idle and I've resigned myself to it just because everything else is dialed-in just right. Yes, theoretically, it should be luxury car smooth, but you also have to realize that these were hot rod motors for their time and maybe they weren't glass-smooth even when they were new. I bet you're running a little lean at high speeds, which is causing the lack of power and stumbling. Adding some fuel will make the idle get a little stumbly (a little) but I think you'll like the way it runs on the road. I'd also think about advancing the timing a bit. I'm running mine about four degrees ahead of factory spec, which it seems to love. Remember that our high-octane gas will withstand that much advance and the compression is still relatively low. I toyed with the idle a bit yesterday and just decided to live with a little roughness simply because it runs so well on the road. It'll pull that bulky giant car from about 5 MPH to 65 MPH in high gear. Can't complain about that.

You switched to Carters, correct? I'm not as familiar with those and it looks like the tuning is a bit more complex in the manual. I also have a tune-up training manual that has fantastic details on this kind of stuff. I'll try to remember to scan some pages and send them to you. It's been very helpful to me, but I have Strombergs. The Carter section is about three times longer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beemon said:

There's a GTO by the Cadillac in the right side of the photo

I know, I saw it right after I saw your comment. I just can't resist being a Wisenheimer. Sorry.

Hey, Matt, thanks for your thoughts. I have had mine set so that I run out of courage before it runs out of speed, and had a rough idle. Like I said, the idle now seems to be as nice as the single carb cars, but its' running poor at higher speeds. I can run it up in second and it seems to rev decent, but the extra load in third might be an issue. I have been wondering about the coils, I have one original, and a old American Bosch in the same style, that is with a bottom terminal, and it seems very similar with either. So, I don't know if that means both are weak, or the problem lies elsewhere.

I also was wondering about trying some more timing advance and seeing what happens. It is a rebuilt distributor from Bob's, installed at the very end of the season last year.

If you do scan those pages, I would love to see them.

Thanks again.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

Here are a few pictures from Saturday. The Muntz Jet, and a few of the Cobras, the Rolls, plus a couple of hot Chevies, the Hudson convert.

Then our next stop, Brayhill Farms Museum. Just a few of many items that he has. I think that the Buick sign is a repro of some kind. He has a lot of original items, but some are reproductions.

Keith

Ledg1Hudsml.jpg

Ledg2Rolls_sml.jpg

Ledg3Muntzsml.jpg

Ledg5_sml.jpg

Ledg5Cobras_sml.jpg

Bray1sml.jpg

Bray2sml.jpg

Bray3SuperSml.jpg

Bray4Supersml.jpg

Bray5Supersml.jpg

Bray6Diasml.jpg

Bray7sml.jpg

Bray8_sml.jpg

• Like 8

It is the kind of place which would take a few visits to properly see everything. I find it rather sad that the whole collection is being sold off in about a month.

Though I must find something very urgent to do during the four days of the auction, or else I might go up and buy something!

Keith