Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

After changing the old stale gas in the tank, took her out around the neighbourhood and ended up at my old home. Went inside and told Mom (just like a kid - haha) come see what I have!

59228065c5a50_1958BuickSpecial-May2017-pic1.thumb.JPG.fb7aa7de0f85f1d6aeab76359126fffc.JPG

• Like 6

Yesterday the Long Island Chapter of the BCA visited the Waterfront Garage in Roslyn, long island, NY to see the collection of Howard Kroplick. The last time we visited was in Nov. 2014.

It was a very warm and sunny day, perfect blue skys and many people got a bit of a tan! A dozen Buicks were there and the oldest was a 1937 sedan. Howard was very gracious host and we were able to view his 1909 Alco race car, 1937 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron town car (built for Mrs. W.P. Chrysler), 1963 Mustang pre production experimental car , as well as his latest acquisition a 1948 Tucker. The great grandsons of Preston Tucker drove in from Pa. to be there with us; and several members of the Minute Man Chapter of BCA drove the 5 plus hours down from Mass. to be there as well. The local VW Club also attended, as did a beautifully restored 1941 Cadillac coupe, 1979(?) Cadillac station wagon and 1940 Chevy resto rod. Photos of the event will be posted on the Long Island Buick Club website in a few days as well on Howard Kroplick's Vanderbilt Cup Races website as well. I got my 1940 Roadmaster convertible sedan out and drove it to its first event of the season.

• Like 6

Just returned from a 700-mile three-day cruise with the "Cars of the Jet Age" group.  Our silver '59 Electra is shown here with a few of the other cars at a retired Atlas Missile silo from the early 1960's.  We were in a rural area of Washington state.

atlas missile 2.jpg

atlas missile.jpg

• Like 11

Drove her to a weekly car cruise-in night for the first time in 12 years. 

Not a big drive but didn't disappoint me with her performance. 

Drew a bit of interest because it hasn't been seen for awhile let alone being a 1958 Buick.

IMG_1319.thumb.JPG.21c5a173fc4af5cb7813c79bbda039e8.JPG

• Like 4

No long drive for me, but I did finally get the wagon out of storage, changed all the fluids and then a quick wash.  Was able to cruise around town to complete some errands... feels like a modern car compared to the 67... not bad for a 40 year old car!  The Electra is patiently waiting it's time in the sun, but I was able to polish it up and get her ready after winter a few weeks ago.  We had a very snowy winter and a very wet spring up in the Pacific NW, so the cars are coming out a little later... it was very nice to work on the cars in a t-shirt and shorts.

IMG_2491.thumb.JPG.fd7ba35b6ba7948a3bfb6d04cf1c43b5.JPG

• Like 7

Put her out on the open road for the first time after tooting around town a bit this past two weeks to go to another Cruise-in 15 miles away...

Great night, low 60's and she seemed to love the fresh tank of high test!

• Like 3

I drove my Buick to the local drive in tonight, the last one before she goes under the knife. No pictures of my Buick, but there was a 53 Skylark with a McCulloch Supercharger...

18664178_10156135843670830_2965483217590

18671241_10156135809765830_2190504450710

18700244_10156135807785830_1694858225283

18699853_10156135807100830_3289164568810

18700082_10156135668795830_4121050551927

The install looked really clean, some people were even commenting that it may have been installed like that, but I don't think so. Still, wouldn't mind this type of mod myself ;) Also found out today I'm the only one in the valley with a 56 2DR HT Century.

• Like 10

The photos of the visit to Howard Kropick's Waterfront Garage in Roslyn, NY have now been posted on the Long Island Buick Club web page under Spring Dust off 2017

as I first mentioned in my comment #1406. It was an amazing time, wonderful weather and my 40 Roadmaster never ran better. Howard is a very gracious host and has some wonderful cars.

Tomorrow is the annual All Buick Show in Wantagh, long island , NY and another great day is expected. DRIVE YOUR BUICKS, drive any of your old cars, its what we do!

• Like 1

Making up for years off the road, decided to drive it across town (Not a huge metropolis) to a friend of my son who was having a Jack & Jill (Stag & Doe).

Weather was perfect. Naturally had to take a picture.

IMG_1364.thumb.JPG.e7c07847c333a7154dfdd49a57a8b971.JPG

• Like 7

We took the Electra to a friend's place where he was hosting a number of his car club friends from both the McLaughlin Buick Club, Rolls Royce Club, and others. It turned out to be a large gathering, maybe 75-80 cars, so 150 or so people. Only guessing, really, but that's what it looked like. Needless to say, he has a very large property, as the visiting cars, plus a dozen of his own, plus his 30 tractors didn't fill the parking lawn up.

It took quite a few pictures, but I still have to get them off my camera.

For us the drive was about 50 miles each way, and the Electra ran great. The weather, though gloomy all day, no rain where we were.

Keith

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Looks really nice, Doug! Must be a great feeling to be able to get in your car and go again.

Keith

Thanks Keith.

Yes it feels great! :D There a a few minor things showing up naturally and need to sort them out "IF" there is any possibility of driving her to the National this year so taking every opportunity to be out on the road.

At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Like 3

First week end had Ruby back on the road and went on a classic car rally , as it was our second time took it seriously and teamed with my friends as co drivers , given 1 slot ( problem no one to follow! ) so lost way and had to retrace on first trial, arrived late at check in and not knowing rules , when waved on thought we had to go ,  so drove on, but they actually wanted me to go to front of queue. Consequently arrived at finish early! Never mind great fun, and Ruby was faultless . few photos of day below .

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_1784.JPG

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

First week end had Ruby back on the road and went on a classic car rally , as it was our second time took it seriously and teamed with my friends as co drivers , given 1 slot ( problem no one to follow! ) so lost way and had to retrace on first trial, arrived late at check in and not knowing rules , when waved on thought we had to go ,  so drove on, but they actually wanted me to go to front of queue. Consequently arrived at finish early! Never mind great fun, and Ruby was faultless . About 30 cars turned up out of 50 , holiday here so lost a few, due to that and apparently some owners wouldn't risk their cars on mountain roads. Shook Ruby quite a bit so I may abstain from future rough courses . However came through ok and few photos of day below .

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

Team Buick ?

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

So here are a bunch of pictures from yesterday. Our host was Roger Hadfield, the father of noted Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, who was there giving rides around the property with his faithful companion, the dog Albert. My wife and daughter took a ride, and I took a couple of pictures of them. Chris was a gracious and interesting gentleman to talk to.

After lunch he and his brothers and sisters put on a show doing some music, some songs well known, other their own compositions. All very well done!

As mentioned before, our host invited his friends from the Rolls Royce Club as well, so there were quite a few Rolls and Bentleys there too, vintage, and fairly late model, as well as a Ferrari 348. So the field ranged from an 1898(or 9), to nearly new cars. Several pre 1910 cars too, a Northern, a couple of Cadillacs, a Columbus, and a Buick. I am not sure of the year, as it wasn't indicated, but I'm thinking '08 or '09? I'm sure one of you gents will know the year! Plus a few of his 30+ tractors.

Keith

Had14_CadColb_Sml.jpg

Had15_Atlas1_Sml.jpg

Had16_Atlas2_Sml.jpg

Had18_Northern_Sml.jpg

Had20_McL_Sml.jpg

Had21_BuicksSml.jpg

Had22_Buicks_Sml.jpg

Had1Elect_CatSml.jpg

Had2_Cat2_Sml.jpg

Had3_Tract1_Sml.jpg

Had4_Tract2_Sml.jpg

Had5_Bent1_Sml.jpg

Had6_Buick1_Sml.jpg

Had7_Loco1_Snl.jpg

Had8_Loco2_Sml.jpg

Had9_Loco3_Sml.jpg

Had10_BeccChris1_Sml.jpg

Had11_BeccaChris2_Sml.jpg

Had12BeccChris3_Sml.jpg

Had13_Mcint_Sml.jpg

Had14_CadColb_Sml.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Attended a Fund Raising Car Show as it was close.

This is # 3 for me and hoping to attend more when I can.

IMG_1375.thumb.JPG.906ffe54c413ff9ac966b97fc4bcb458.JPG

Just like my car, every car has a story and noticed this beautiful Skylark convertible.

IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.19f252e8f1d7f017e1689f5bf7665f30.JPG

IMG_1373.thumb.JPG.cabaaef06087781a7d2d5b1efa94113a.JPG

I'm raising a hand for him as after owning it for many years, fixing things as he was driving it, last year he and his wife completed the Route 66 trip covering 8,310 miles round trip! B)

Talk about a bucket wish list success!

Ron is a member of the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada, organising some of their tours and expects to be at the National this year.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

592b73f1145b7_DSC05774(1).thumb.JPG.6d5d1c15d85f6291eac64f43db225634.JPG

I was pleased to put a few dozen miles on the 56 this weekend.   But didn't do any car shows or cruise in's. 

Nice photo John!

Just love this time of year.

• Like 1

In the past 24 hours no one has bothered to Identified the blue 1905 Buick model C pictured above by Keith.  A two cylinder engine , built by Walter Marr and David Dunbar Buick, before General Motors.  It happens to be the fifth oldest Buick known to exist, he and his family drove it on the recent Brass in Berks County tour this spring as well as sixty miles to this open house.  Well done to the owner.  Gary

• Like 5

Drove 85 miles on the highway in high 90's heat as a 'stress test'.  Engine temps stayed at 190* on the road and 210* in town.  The factory a/c cooling performance was mostly adequate even driving into west sun.  The car is ready to head north to Milwaukee  as long as temps stay below 100* for most of the trip.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Drove 85 miles on the highway in high 90's heat as a 'stress test'.  Engine temps stayed at 190* on the road and 210* in town.  The factory a/c cooling performance was mostly adequate even driving into west sun.  The car is ready to head north to Milwaukee  as long as temps stay below 100* for most of the trip.

Safe travels buddy!

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Raise my hand? I raised my Buick.

004.thumb.JPG.b436c134f9b8365b108ba4ea423cddba.JPG

It was whitewall cleaning day and the first time any real work was done using the midrise lift I got myself for a birthday present in September. I usually jack the car up. This was fast.

I remembered those 1/4" hooks we had in the old gas stations. I guess I'll make one of those.

And I discovered the lift and the torque tube rods must be matter. I can't occupy the same space at the same time. 4" rubber blocks came with the lift, but it looks like 6" blocks will be better with the lift swing arms all the way to the rear. Oh, and the lift lowers a lot faster with a Buick on it than those times I was checking and lubing it empty. Like really fast.

Aren't new toys fun!

Bernie

• Like 5

Hi All, I have received an email from an Australian Club member who provided the following information about the 1905 Buick:

"The Model B (1904) and the early production of Model C (1905) both had the radiator in front of the axle.  Mid year production 1905 moved the radiator into the hood cowling. These cars had 2 cylinder horizontally opposed engines located in the chassis below the seat and were epicycle transmission with chain drive. My guess is the car pictured is 1905 but it is difficult to tell the difference between B & C early production."

• Like 2

We had a Memorial Day weekend with 80 degree weather, first time in over 20 years. 

I drove my 55, and cleaned it up a bit as it had been down since last year with a bad fuel pump that was finally rebuilt. 

Also took my 70 out a few times.  :>)

image1[1].JPG

IMG_7632.JPG

• Like 11

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:06 PM, dmfconsult said:

No long drive for me, but I did finally get the wagon out of storage, changed all the fluids and then a quick wash.  Was able to cruise around town to complete some errands... feels like a modern car compared to the 67... not bad for a 40 year old car!  The Electra is patiently waiting it's time in the sun, but I was able to polish it up and get her ready after winter a few weeks ago.  We had a very snowy winter and a very wet spring up in the Pacific NW, so the cars are coming out a little later... it was very nice to work on the cars in a t-shirt and shorts.

IMG_2491.thumb.JPG.fd7ba35b6ba7948a3bfb6d04cf1c43b5.JPG

Hopefully we will see you and one of the Buicks at the Puyallup WA All Buick Open on Saturday June 17?

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, Beemon said:

I drove my Buick to the local drive in tonight, the last one before she goes under the knife. No pictures of my Buick, but there was a 53 Skylark with a McCulloch Supercharger...

18664178_10156135843670830_2965483217590

18671241_10156135809765830_2190504450710

18700244_10156135807785830_1694858225283

18699853_10156135807100830_3289164568810

18700082_10156135668795830_4121050551927

The install looked really clean, some people were even commenting that it may have been installed like that, but I don't think so. Still, wouldn't mind this type of mod myself ;) Also found out today I'm the only one in the valley with a 56 2DR HT Century.

I believe I saw you driving through looking for a parking spot right before I left! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjp69 said:

We had a Memorial Day weekend with 80 degree weather, first time in over 20 years. 

I drove my 55, and cleaned it up a bit as it had been down since last year with a bad fuel pump that was finally rebuilt. 

Also took my 70 out a few times.  :>)

image1[1].JPG

IMG_7632.JPG

two beauty's Chris!   And awesome pictures too! 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, cjp69 said:

Hopefully we will see you and one of the Buicks at the Puyallup WA All Buick Open on Saturday June 17?

Hi Chris!  the Puyallup show is definitely on my radar, but I've been asked to be available for an open house on the same day for a new project I'm starting work on.  If I can go, it will be a last minute decision unfortunately. 

• Like 1

I had some time to work on the '41 today, and then I took it out for a test drive. But first, this is what I did. I took the top off of the front carb and found quite a bit of dirt and stuff in the bowl, so I took it right off, disassembled it, cleaned it and put it back together. This was puzzling as I have a an inline fuel filter installed, so I changed it too.

I also checked the distributor, which was rebuilt by Bob's very late last year. The only thing I found odd was that the alignment of the points was not very good, only a tiny bit on one corner was contacting, so I filed them down to fit better.

The test drive was partly successful, it was running better but not right. More power, like it should have, and slow speed driving was not bad, nearly perfect, but at cruise speeds 30- 45 mph, it was not smooth, cutting up/bucking a bit. Definitely not right. However, at and near full throttle, it smoothed out and pulled strong. So, I adjusted the metering rods a bit, and it was better, but by then the rush hour traffic was building and I could not drive as well.

Its' back in the garage for till tomorrow!

If the thunderstorms hold off, we're taking the Electra to a local cruise night. My companion will be the latest retiree that I know, my wife! Last Friday was her last day at work!

Keith

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

My companion will be the latest retiree that I know, my wife! Last Friday was her last day at work!

How awesome!  Congratulations to Glenda!  Now you can drive two Buicks to the cruise in's. 

• Like 3