JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

I took the 52 out to a local show Saturday. We stopped at Sonic for burgers on the way.

Mary went along and was patient with me for about 3 hours.  The car ran fine about 10 miles each way. 

Chuck

May-21-2016.jpg

• Like 6

Left in the Buick on Thursday for Weatherford, Texas to meet up with a number of club members (7 vehicles) to caravan to the 63rd Annual Texas Tour.  This year the tour was in Abilene and surrounding areas with attendance of about 150 people and 65 vehicles from the 5 participating Texas clubs (4 AACA Regions/Chapters and 1 HCCA) . There were several tours, Friday to Dyess AFB that included lunch on the base and getting to see the B-1 bombers they have, as well as their collection of historic planes.  Saturday was a tour of the Buffalo Gap wind farm owned and operated by AES and lots of information about wind turbines and their operation and maintenance. Following the AES tour we went on to Fort Chadbourne for lunch and a tour of the museum and the remains of the Fort. Friday night there was a style show of antique clothing worn by tour participants and a buffet dinner.  Saturday evening was the awards banquet - the '39 Buick Special Business Coupe tied for First in Class with a '42 Lincoln Zephyr 3 Window Coupe.  We arrived home mid afternoon Sunday having put another 567 miles on the Buick and had a bunch of fun in the process.

• Like 3

418 miles in the Electra today, to meet up with Keith Corby in Rochester NY.  I had a bunch of extra parts for the 69 Electra and , well, I though Keith would get more use from them than me, so they are now his.  Had a great ride out.  Estimated MPG is 17-18, w/out A/c running.

Had a few issues on the way back.  Rough ride over 70 MPH and the cruise control would not keep a steady speed.  Could not tell if it was ignition or tire balance, or poor condition of road surface.  In the end, I think its a little bit of all three.  Definitely have some leaky spark plug boots on the drivers side of the engine.  Those 7 mm wires just do not seem to last long.

Anyway, had a great lunch with Keith, my son J.R., his girlfriend Stephanie and Stephanie's dad, Tim.  And snapped a few photos. at the meeting of the Queens!

DSC02477.JPG

DSC02482.JPG

DSC02485.JPG

• Like 6

Great shots, John. Thanks so much for all of the stuff! Much enjoyed the lunch with everyone too.

I had a good ride home, got about 17 MPG, US, used the A/C only for a while. Total mileage for the day was about 390. FYI, Canadian gallons are bigger than US, referred to as Imperial, that is when we used to use gallons, that is. Us old timers still like to use MPG, instead of the new system!

I had changed the rad to a fresh high density core the day before my trip to visit John, and it is cooling much better. I had put an under dash temp gauge to better monitor engine temps. I have a 185 themostat, and it settled in about that, no matter what speed, and whether or not the A/C was on.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 3

55 miles round trip in the 56 today, for breakfast at Gibby's.

First time I've had it on the Thruway @ 65 MPH in a long time, possibly 10 years or so.  Ran great!  I believe it likes those longer hauls at higher speeds.  Temp stayed normal and it was a nice smooth /quiet ride, even when I headed back and got into some stop & go traffic, while headed to the store to pick up a few things.

DSC02508.JPG

DSC02502.JPG

DSC02498.JPG

• Like 4

Ok, I won't tell you, but they handle just great.

Each year during my state inspection, the garage allows me to inspect the underside of the cars.  Each year I go over these tires  looking for signs of any deterioration. So far I have not found any. no drywall rot on the sides or inbetween the treads.  No bulges,  no splits, nothing!  They run straight, stop straight, run smooth, no vibrations, not even at 80 + MPH today for a short period.  Just as soon as I see any of these problems the tires will go, but till then I'm going to let them go the distance.

The funny thing is, when I got them, they were the economy tire! 

Got the truck almost completely together today.  Just a few boards to paint and install tomorrow so...........for our 38th anniversary today we took the truck out to dinner and an ice cream.  Great having it out today for the first ride of the season.   And.........that brand new re-cored radiator did not leak and the temp never came up to the caution zone on the Moto-Meter.  Put about 15 miles on it tonight.

• Like 2

We had the Electra out for a shortish drive tonight,10 miles or so in the cooler evening air. Nice driving around with the windows down!

Keith

• Like 1

An '89 LeSabre named Ruby followed dad home yesterday, so the wife drove it tonight. The Reatta is Chuck Kerls', and dad's '56 is in the background...

image.jpeg

• Like 2

An Electra from a few blocks north showed up a bit later, as well as an '80s Regal. 

I think we have the Electra owner on the hook for our October show. Had never met the Regal owner before, but he seemed excited about the opportunity to join the BCA and help our chapter put on the show. Dad lost a copy of the Bugle to the guy, but that's ok. 

After dinner we took Ruby home and put about 20 miles on the '56 driving up & down the river...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Drove my old 1932 Buick coupe to Church this morning with the family.

Probably won't drive again until late September, too HOT!

Fires right up and runs great!

32 Buick at show.jpg

• Like 5

400 round trip in the GS today.  Attended a Memorial day weekend car show in my Uncles home town of Hacketstown, NJ, with my Uncle Phil and his 31 Model A pickup, my brother, with his(my former) 64 Corvair,  and my nephew with his 86 Ford 3/4 ton Pickup.  Also my cousins and their husbands, children, and grand kids. We did this last year too but this year my older brother and Sister in Law could not attend.  It was a hot one in Northern NJ.  Left home around 5 AM and returned around 8 PM. Did 80% topless. The last 20 I put the top up and ran the A/C.  The GS is now my  "happy" car.  It just loves to run, no matter what the weather , and it seems to never miss a beat! 

DSC02516.JPG

• Like 2

We took the Electra out to check Glenda's Mom's place, and then for a cruise, 15-20 miles total. A nice warm evening here in Toronto, like summer, but its' still May!

Keith

• Like 1

The local Memorial Day parade goes right past our house each year. We put the Buick at the end of our driveway and answered questions about it all morning. Not really a drive, but everyone seemed to like seeing the big guy out there. These photos were taken about an hour before the parade started--there were about 10 times as many people there by the time they started marching.

IMG_20160530_102939726[1]a.jpg

IMG_20160530_103017295_HDR[1]a.jpg

IMG_20160530_103007455[1]a.jpg

• Like 8

This was one of those rare days when I drove four of our five Buicks. The Rendezvous, the Electra, the '41 Roadmaster, and my wife's Wildcat, but just from one garage on the property to another.

Keith

Wildcat3Buicks1.jpg

• Like 2

Matt, I like your home, is the path to the garage NARROW, or was it put up later for wider cars?

I know how then dare Limited cars attract attention.  I hear, DID YOU STRETCH THAT CAR?  I say YES, and smile, well, I did stretch the wheel base 3 inches, hehe.

Some say, DALE, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CUT UP A LIMITED, I say,'believe' it.  Other than no door handles, side trim gone, trunk emblem gone, tail light trim gone, well, it looks normal.  Of course the 17" wheels demand questions.  Oh, and it does carry a 1946 bomb site hood ornament, the one WITHOUT the cross bar, and the one that was suppose to be on the car, but the war prevented.  It bolted right up, holes matched, as did contour.

No visor though, Ben won't loan me his, he just won't share,

Dale in Indy

We had the Electra out to a local cruise night last night (Sat). It was a very nice night here, perfect really,  the temp was just right, low humidity, and a few clouds in the sky.

Today is quite rainy, so I guess I'll be working in the garage!

Keith

Last weekend I traveled to pick up this "67" Skylark. 50,000 miles.

unbelievable! 

Stored since 1989 shortly after the owners husband died.

Some real neat stuff is still in the trunk and glovebox. 

I have just been driving it around the block several times. 

I'm real happy to own her. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Ben, I could, it's DOWN HILL all the way, YOU, are such a nice fellow.

I have family in Dallas, Dad is buried in Smithville, Tx.  He lived in Austin for years.

I'm trying to envision how a Limited would look with a VISOR.  Might not be to bad huh?

Dale in Indy