JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

Ok, I hope you guys don't think that I'm just trying to fill up this thread, but I decided to turn those two pictures to B&W, and post them. I could of done some other stuff to artificially age them, but I like to make vintage images look as good as possible. This is what I used to do for a living not so long ago.

Keith

11Buick3SmlGrey.jpg

GunfighterDudeSmlGrey.jpg

• Like 2

Took the Electra to the first Hemmings Cruise in of 2016 tonight.  Little over 100 miles round trip, and the Queen was awarded the "Favorite GM" trophy.  Naturally I grin from ear to ear when thinking between 2015 and now, all three of my cars have won separate awards at these cruise in's.  In fact, the ride over and back is award enough.  But it is just a little more pleasurable when the vehicle is given this recognition.  

• Like 9

I got to park next to one at a car show today... He is a great guy.. I will post for him

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend...

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I had the '41 Roadmaster out Fri evening for a 20 mile or so drive after some carb adjustments. It was running very nicely (again).

Keith

• Like 1

Attended the open car show at Saratoga yesterday. Parked with my good friends Pete and Vince Riggi and Dick and Barb Andrews.  It's a short ride, probably no more than 20 miles round trip.  In preparation for this event I decided to replace my torn blanket on the front seat.  We had bought a new mattress pad for the bed but did not like it so it became my new front seat cover.  In the process of installation I discovered three broken springs in my seat back, which had made it very uncomfortable for long drives.  I managed to use some zip ties and patch the broken springs, and it's almost like new.  But looks like I may just invest in a re upholstery job in the near future. 

DSC02419.JPG

• Like 1

John,

Good to see the Buicks.  I had the show on my calendar but other commitments to me in another direction.  Glad you had a good day. 

John

• Like 1

I didn't drive today, but went to the local annual swap meet. A fellow from North Dakota brought up a headlight lens for the '29 for me. I spent no other money, but there were two Buicks for sale - a 1972 Electra four door HT that is occupying too many cycles in my brain right now, and a '52 Canadian small series four door sedan. I believe it was called the Custom in Canada (equivalent of Special). I'd consider that one myself, then I could pass our '52 Roadmaster to another steward who might actually do something with it. 

Actually, thinking about it, I did drive the Rainier to that event. If I'd had the truck, the temptation would have been greater to bring home big stuff. I briefly considered one fellow had the turbo and assorted other plumbing together as a unit from a '78 Regal. 

I could not drive anything or go out too much as it SNOWED last night.  Could not even work outside because it was so cold outside. 

Here is a pictures of snow this morning on my wife's car.

20160515_085214[1].jpg

On 5/9/2016 at 6:37 PM, Buicknutty said:

Ok, I hope you guys don't think that I'm just trying to fill up this thread, but I decided to turn those two pictures to B&W, and post them. I could of done some other stuff to artificially age them, but I like to make vintage images look as good as possible. This is what I used to do for a living not so long ago.

Keith

11Buick3SmlGrey.jpg

Is this even more sacrilegious?

Old  Buick roadster-crop.jpg

• Like 4

Tonight was the first cruise night in my area, so I took the Electra, and it garnered quite a bit of attention.

Here's a couple of pictures.

Keith

ElectraCruise16_1.jpg

ElectraCruise16_2.jpg

• Like 3

Took the '41 Roadmaster out to a cruise night tonight, and then a rear tire went down on me. So, I have a good spare, but the jack and tools were in another car. What's guy to do?

Call his wife, of course. So my lovely lady brought the portable tire pump, and I filled it up, and got home without further incident.

Still don't what's wrong, but I will investigate tomorrow.

Keith

My wife knows that when I'm out in an old car by myself, she's on emergency stand-by! Fortunately, I've only needed her once in all these years. Let's hope it stays that way!

• Like 1

My wife got me a AAA Premier Membership, and wishes me good luck.

• Like 2

I was at the McLaughlin Estate again, only this time in the Electra, so here's a picture of it in the front, plus two '37's and I as well.

Keith

3BuicksParkwoodSml.jpg

ElectraParkwood1Sml.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Put a dozen miles on the 56 tonight.  Along the way I caught a work of art.

IMG_20160520_202313.jpg

• Like 5

I drove the Reatta most of the way home this afternoon. It completed its journey following a tow truck to the mechanic...after closing time...long weekend here so it won't be looked at before Tuesday. The way it behave and wouldn't restart while electrical seemed ok leads me to suspect timing chain. 

Sigh. 

I had the Electra out tonight to gas it up, as we are off on another tour tomorrow. I am leading a group of 10 cars or so on a very scenic drive through the rolling hills of the countryside East of Toronto. There are lots of lovely roads that are lightly travelled. Rough at times, but all paved.

Nad news is that I think that one of my beautiful wide whites on the '41 ir ruined. It has a small cut in the sidewall. I will get a professional opinion, but my experience tells me that damage like this is not repairable.

Keith

Hope you can patch it together Keith.  If it's a rear tire, can you reinforce on the inside and then use a tube?  I still have three of the tubes I bought in 2003, on the 56.  My tire guy says, "drive em"..

The tire flexes in the side wall.  Flexing will just exacerbate the situation.  Time to look for a replacement.  

That's a shame Keith. 

I moved we'd the pace car out of the garage to wash it...stupid wind and elm seeds...then put it back away. I was thinking of going to a cruise tonight but clouds have built up and we've had a tiring (but productive) day. 

The he local club heads to a diner for lunch tomorrow. Perhaps that will work out. 

We just got back from a nearly 200 mile drive through some great countryside. I took a few pictures, the one of the three cars, a '66 Caddy Fleetwood, a '41 Buick Special 4 door, dual carbs, plus a '75 Lesabre that is just on the edge of the frame. One of the places we stopped at were selling thatched huts, so we didn't leave the Great White North for the tropics!

At the end of the tour we were quite close to our storage, so we went in and took the '56 out for a nice drive. It started up great, and took it for about a 15 mile drive, then put her back to bed for a few more weeks. We have a pre war tour to do at the end of June, then I will bring the '41 out to storage and bring the '56 home to drive for a while.

Keith

Buicksat WhtFeatherSml.jpg

BuickAtPrimSml.jpg

TwoBuicksatStorageSml.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 3