Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I don see no Buick...

I really did not take many photos of the car. It was more about fun with local car club friends. I did take the Interstate for part of the trip home. I could not resist taking a quick photo of the speedometer on the interstate. (And my smart phone app tells me that the speedometer is about 4 mph slow at 80 mph... actual speed 84. I was tempted to see if the Century will actually do the advertised 100 mph, but I did not want to have to explain it to a Trooper if I happened to find one.)

Here is one photo that shows the Century parked at Sid's BBQ. Can you find the three Buicks in this photo?

DSC_0581.JPG

IMG_20170218_133959100.jpg

• Like 5

I just got back from a ride down Main St. and a loop around a country block with my '60. It was 63 degrees yesterday and mid 50's today. No way I was missing this. And I had two cars blocking the doorway of the garage not running. It took about 20 minutes to pop a new condenser in the '60 and get it going. That old one had been in there since a tune up in 2003 when I bought the car. I had made an attempt at due diligence by putting points and condenser in after the first 9 years. One week later it came home on a flatbed to find the new condenser had its lead wire fall out. I put the known good one back in.

Late this fall I started having idle problems. And then crapped out completely. After checking all the "usual suspects" (I like that movie, lots) I picked up an Echlin condenser a little before Christmas. Echlin is all I buy for over the counter ignition parts anymore, unless I see some old stock NOS Delco online.

Anyway that did it and the ride was good.

How long does it take to change a condenser? About 60 days and 20 minutes around here.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Had an AACA Meeting today in Euless - about 22 miles from home.  There are storms in the area so not many drove their old cars today.  We got sprinkled on driving home, but nothing heavy has arrived yet.  I took photos of some of the cars that were there.

Trying to keep MrEarl happy!  Mine was the only Buick. 

Hate it when the photos won't load the way you want....Sorry!IMG_0041.JPG.506aadfd1675d6ae7e232abb6298b508.JPGIMG_0042.thumb.JPG.aa26a71c53d27f7385b8ed251389818f.JPGIMG_0044.thumb.JPG.34db30b6556215a8bd5a8e5120529db3.JPGIMG_0045.thumb.JPG.413153d7556c5be7f98568e5342a627b.JPGIMG_0048.thumb.JPG.7ef5052b07d00a9cef51ad0d1ea77529.JPGIMG_0049.thumb.JPG.9b9f99e733a971f6237cc849d6c4a1e3.JPG

Edited by jvelde (see edit history)
  • Like 3

No driving but I ran the Queen and the 56 for a half hour or so today.   Way too much salt here for a joy ride.  But maybe later this week.  I am so envious of you guys who can get the Buicks out for a ride this time of the year!  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

All my earlier bragging about the year round driving season we enjoy in Australia has come back to bite me on the arse. Tore my Achilles Tendon pushing my son's flat battery '89 Toyota out of the way when I was planning to get my '36 out of the garage for a weekend away, now I cannot drive for at least 8 weeks,......damn!

37 minutes ago, Paul White said:

All my earlier bragging about the year round driving season we enjoy in Australia has come back to bite me on the arse. Tore my Achilles Tendon pushing my son's flat battery '89 Toyota out of the way when I was planning to get my '36 out of the garage for a weekend away, now I cannot drive for at least 8 weeks,......damn!

My condolences Paul!!! I was so looking forward to all your posts too...Hope you heal faster!

17159320_10155833085995830_3357095198070

Saturday was my grandmother's birthday, so I took the car out to visit her. She supposedly drove it off the assembly line in Flint, Michigan. The car was ordered from the Kessler dealership in Detroit, and she went to go pick it up while my grandpa as on base. The odd thing is that it came with aftermarket mirrors, which I suppose were an afterthought by my grandfather. They later took the car and drove out west where they settled in 1958 and started their family. This is the first time I've driven the car out. Never thought about it before until now, so I made sure to thank her for not getting rid of it after all those years.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Paul White said:

Ouch!!

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Paul White said:

Times like this calls for a Buick Snow-Master. Drags Scrap metal out of the way as easy as moving piles of snow. Dandy Dave!

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:57 AM, Caballero2 said:

Seventy degree day Friday, Feb. 17, 2017 in Northern Colorado.  Warmed up the old Roadmaster with the top down and had lunch at A & W.  We just might survive until Spring.

Dan

Took a mulligan Mr. Earl.  Another 70 degree day in Colorado, top down, lunch at A & W.

004.JPG

Spring Day at A&W.jpg

Edited by Caballero2
Add a photo (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Took Irene out today for the bi-monthly Buick club meet down by the river.  Drove very well as always.   From here we ventured to an aircraft museum for a look through.

The drive home was spectacular with a lightning and thunderstorm show and a few drops of rain.   Got home just in time before the big downpour.

IMG_7160.JPG

Irene001.JPG

Edited by Rooster
too many photos (see edit history)
  • Like 10

Took "Almendron" to a car show in Palmetto Bay, FL from Miami about 20 minutes ride. Left from wheel grease cap came loose inside the hub cap on the last turn and boy what a rattle. Other than that.... a magic carpet ride. Have a 1 minute video but can't upload 

IMG_0964.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend was my college orientation. I wish we had gotten more photos, given it was a 5 and a half hour drive to the campus from where I live, over the mountain pass and through the Eastern Washington plains.

17523377_1332162383496941_15995961051931

My buddy is the photographer. Everyone told us not to take the Buick. I was determined to take it with me and prove to them that it is as reliable as any other car I've ever driven. So this is the point of no return. The on-ramp to the pass.

17499350_10155903436120830_9475159202330

We got in around 8 PM but the offered spaces for transfer students was already booked, so luckily there was a really cheap motel 5 minutes from campus. I parked her under the neon sign. The old girl worked hard that day.

17545237_10155904836750830_2666670603628

Here she is parked on campus. I wish there was more college flair, but I suppose you can spot the WSU Cougar in the background there...

17426318_1333567663356413_69829782567420

And the same day with us getting ready to go back to the motel... Funny story here. My gas gauge only ever went to half full, despite being filled up. Yet in the photo, it's at Full. The roads in and out of the campus were so beaten by all the agricultural shipping trucks that they must have jarred something in the gas gauge and it started working properly... I couldn't believe it!

What I learned on this trip? My electric wiper kit arrived after I left, so it reinforced the idea of getting rid of the vacuum wipers - especially if I plan to make the trip to and from school a couple times a year. There isn't a NAPA on campus, rather an old mom and pop store that is no better than a cheap Autozone (which is unfortunate) - however, there is a NAPA 15 minutes from campus in the nearby town and they are all very nice a knowledgeable folks. They came out and the first thing out of their mouths was 322 Nailhead. A PCV system is better than no PCV system. On the way in I had it hooked up and we averaged 18 MPG. On the way out I took it off and swapped breather caps and at best got 14 MPG. Also if the engine wasn't broken in before, it sure got a run for it's money when I pushed 90 MPH at 4000 RPM in our voyage home convoy.

• Like 14

Nothing very exciting, but I took the '64 Skylark out for a road test on Saturday when I put it back together after changing out a leaking timing cover gasket. First time on the road since November when I discovered the leak after returning from a car show. I'm ready for Spring to start feeling like Spring out here in NJ. 

• Like 3

Had just enough rain here in eastern MA the last couple of days to wash away the snow and road salt.  So, I took the '91 Reatta out and about for a half hour or so.  With April just around the corner, the Reatta and the '92 Riviera will be out for oil changes & radiator flushes (do rad flushes every 2 yrs) and annual state safety inspections (state can't live without their $29/ car). 

• Like 3

Ruby back on the road after sorting few small problems , great weather here for top down 26 c, running great , just in time for cruising and sightseeing with couple of your compatriots arriving on 23rd for a couple of weeks, should be fun , mind you he's a muscle car fan!

cheers

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65
mistake (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I had my '60 Electra out yesterday. It had been sitting in the garage since December. A ride up to the edge of the muck land and back is about 15 miles. It had a half a tank of last year's gas in it. I put 7 or 8 gallons in on top of that to slosh around a bit. I'll burn that up quick. The Cadillac Club lunch is in Batavia on Saturday. That will get me into fuel rotation and good weather again.

Bernie

• Like 2

Well, this must be the quiet season.

We ended up riding a modern vehicle to the Caddy meeting yesterday. Today was much better. I noticed my state inspection sticker expired in November. So I shot up to town for a lick 'em stick 'em. The '60 Electra had 84,505 miles on it this morning. It had 67000 and change on it in ought two so I'm doing pretty good. I got back from the inspection and my Wife asked "Where'd you go?" "To get the car inspected. It ran out in November." "That was fast. Did you have an appointment?" "Nope". She just gave me one of those looks.

So I took her for the ride and out to lunch. I was telling her some stories from the forum like the one about what you carry in the car. I told her if she slams the door again she will lose her place on that list.

While we were in the restaurant she told me about a guy who uses computers in her library to gives mechanic's advice to online forums. That got around to the topics containing the words "my mechanic".

She said "Well, you could call **** your mechanic." I said "No, I wouldn't say the "my" would be defined quite the same way." Wow! What a look I got from that! They just had a rerun of The Godfather and I saw the same look on one of the wives in the movie.

Then we left for a ride in the country. I only nudged her leg a little when I closed the door for her.

Bernie

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I only nudged her leg a little when I closed the door for her.

Yikes -- you better be careful, lest the Electra not break 85K before this November...  :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBloomberg said:

This is my Mary by our "52 Special in front of our local Cracker Barrel. 

CrackerBarrel.jpg

You're a lucky guy!  You have two lovely "Special" girls!!! 

• Like 4

On 3/17/2017 at 0:14 AM, Elpad said:

Took "Almendron" to a car show in Palmetto Bay, FL from Miami about 20 minutes ride. Left from wheel grease cap came loose inside the hub cap on the last turn and boy what a rattle. Other than that.... a magic carpet ride. Have a 1 minute video but can't upload 

IMG_0964.JPG

Just found this post. I think it was never posted

• Like 2