Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

My wife and I trailered the '25 4 passenger coupe to a small town car show sponsored by the Lions Club.There  were about 125 cars there,mostly hot rods,restomods,and performance cars.The '25 got a lot of attention, so much so that when the trophies were handed out,the old girl won "Fan Favourite". It does my heart good to see that what fans really appreciate seeing are the oldies, unmolested and as built.

This was the '25's first public showing in at least 35 years.

Jim

St.Mary's lions car show 009.JPG

St.Mary's lions car show 010.JPG

St.Mary's lions car show 011.JPG

• Like 10

I attended our local Cars and Coffee today. This photo shows my 1937 Century with a fellow AACA Chapter member's 1968 Skylark Convertible behind it. 

DSC_0183.JPG

• Like 5

My wife and I went to an evening car show 3 to 8 at the Food and Fun deli nice show sponsored by the local Caddy club. We took the 91 Reatta for a nice 35 miles felt great. The only Reatta at the show with just one other Buick, check out the pic with the Allante, GM cousins

IMG_20180707_184608123_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180707_184539177_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180707_192638141.jpg

IMG_20180707_192647407_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Beautiful weather today;  low 80s and low humidity!  Looked up the Nort Durham County Scenic byway, packed a sandwhich, and hit the road.  48 miles round trip. Found this 1940s hunting lodge that's now a park. Cool place,  surprised to be the only one there! 

20180708_132920.jpg

20180708_132510.jpg

Screenshot_20180708-151439.png

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

On 7/7/2018 at 7:48 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Jack, I bet your voltage was a little low. When the temp raised a little, the battery became warmer and the voltage increased slightly. Pertronix is sensitive to voltage.

Ben

Could have been, Ben, but i had driven two hundred miles to get there, the day before , i have I have a good charging system and battery. Not quite sure what it was, but with points, I can always get it running , no matter what.

Jack

18 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Got the '39 out today to move the fluids around..........cleaned it up and snapped some pictures,  going to put it up for sale.

39 luggage.jpg

Barney, that looks like a Century? If so nd you do decided to sell it and I have found a taker for my 40 Limited, maybe we can chat.

• Like 1

I left the house for a Cadillac meet in Buffalo this morning about 9. I headed south out of town up the eastern end of the Niagara escarpment. Then westerly through the Muckland, the black bottom of and ancient glacial lake. Leaving the Muckland I crossed the headwaters of the Oak Orchard River. Then through Indian territory and on to Buffalo.

Every time I go somewhere it just seems like a big adventure.

010.thumb.JPG.d3b7429423f2ef30b9b96c85c761a80c.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/5/2018 at 1:40 PM, cxgvd said:

Eighth day of the current heat and humidity wave but when a task needs doing I answer.  A fellow car enthusiast passed away and his family asked for old cars to attend the funeral procession today.  He and his wife were familiar tourists in Southern Ontario and were often seen in their shoebox Ford convertible.  That is their car in the background of my photo with my 1939 Buick sedan at the funeral home.

His widow, Judy. was my fifth grade teacher.  I'm not kidding, honest, it was her first year of teaching and my first year of being in grade five.

Buick performed well, hot but satisfied.  Gary

DSC_4877.JPG

Beautiful car.  I assume it to be a Century because of the window trim.  However, that was an accessory available on a Special as well.

• Like 1

Took the Electra out for a memorial drive and lunch for Cancer research, about 120 miles total.. Lots of Sports cars and some American Iron. Will clean her up and have it all checked out tomorrow. Driving down to Gettysburgh Tuesday for the Saturday AACA National plus 3 days of touring.

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Beautiful weather today;  low 80s and low humidity!  Looked up the Nort Durham County Scenic byway, packed a sandwhich, and hit the road.  48 miles round trip. Found this 1940s hunting lodge that's now a park. Cool place,  surprised to be the only one there! 

Scenic byway...is the only way to travel! 

• Like 2

As we are unpacking the seemingly million boxes that we recently packed up madly. So we needed a break and took advantage of the beautiful weather and took a drive to Port Dover, a town on the shore of Lake Erie, and saw signs for a cruise, so we stopped in for a while.

About 100 cars, or so, and here are a few that I took pictures of, another, newer Electra, and an original looking '64 Wildcat, and my own, of course.

Keith

Cruise2.jpg

CruiseCat5.jpg

CruiseChev6.jpg

CruiseJag3.jpg

CruiseLectra1.jpg

CruiseVanti4.jpg

• Like 6

Last night we took a drive to the small resort town of Turkey Point, maybe there's turkeys, though we didn't see any. We were able to park quite close to the beach, so here's a shot of the Reatta with a very calm Lake Erie in the background.

It was a lovely night for a top down drive, though a bit chilly on the way home.

Keith

ReattaTurkeyPt.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Last night we took a drive to the small resort town of Turkey Point, maybe there's turkeys, though we didn't see any. We were able to park quite close to the beach, so here's a shot of the Reatta with a very calm Lake Erie in the background.

It was a lovely night for a top down drive, though a bit chilly on the way home.

Keith

ReattaTurkeyPt.jpg

There are indeed some great sandy beaches on the North Shore of Lake Erie, especially when the water is calm like that!

Conversely, I love areas around Lake Simcoe (your region) with the rocky shores and waterways too!

Nice shot Keith.

On 6/11/2018 at 5:10 AM, JohnD1956 said:

Our chapter's 10th annual cruise in was a pleasing success,  and the 56 was the poster child ( and T shirt captain) this year.

DSC00899.JPG.14e7c0a02d81bb44b82ce7f4935fb461.JPG

Of course, no good deed goes unpunished.  Friday I worked some fingerprints out of the trunk with some  Meguliar's  cleaner /polish. But then that patch made the rest of the trunk lid look bad.  So I wound up spreading out the polish and eventually did the whole lower body.  I keep forgetting how much paint surface there is.  Then Saturday before the event I did the roof.  I thought it was looking rather spiffy! 

Then, at the event the poster child car parks right up in front of the Pavillion at the park.  When I got back in the car to leave at first I thought it had rained, then realized the tree had dropped sap all over the damn thing.  Since the event was a PM cruise in I didn't get home till 10 PM and then I had to break out the wash bucket and clean her up again, before the sap had a chance to set up. But it looked pretty good again today, and drove so nice as well, so I think I'll keep it a while longer. :wub:

With you John  on a couple of issues . When you have a pretty car common problem , greasy finger prints always on front wings and doors as folks stand alongside for must have photo, have pepper trees here in Cyprus overhanging my drive , so sap a regular problem to, so always cleaning . Worst problem for me was the seams on my car cover left fine scratches in gloss finish , till I realised what they where , now place cover inside out , doesn’t look so good, seems to work. ?

keep up the good work .

cheers

pilgrim

6D28543E-F276-4B26-85D6-42C13F0B223F.jpeg

81F33D59-44F7-4C2A-A170-34252370410B.jpeg

Edited by Pilgrim65
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Andrew;  Congrats for purchasing the Model 31, it is beautiful and a correct looking car.  In my opinion this Buick is the best of the mid sized cars of this era though I may be prejudiced since I have one as well.  Apart from the total loss oil system the engineering is sound, nothing very odd.  You have the acetylene starter still intact, very nice.  What carburetor are you using?  I am have some success with the Schebler Model O.  Also with the center mount of the speedometer head does it not make for tight bends in  the cable?  All the best, we are attending the Old Car Fest perhaps we will see you there?  Gary

DSC_3626.JPG

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, Brass is Best said:

This great 1913 Model 31 Touring followed us home the other day. Now we are finishing it up and getting it ready for touring!

Andrew,

I am sure you will enjoy touring with your new acquisition.  Let me know if you have any questions about your car.  My Buick Model 31 has been my primary touring car for many years. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Andrew,

I am sure you will enjoy touring with your new acquisition.  Let me know if you have any questions about your car.  My Buick Model 31 has been my primary touring car for many years. 

Enjoy!

Mark,

Thank you for the offer.

Andy

7 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Andrew;  Congrats for purchasing the Model 31, it is beautiful and a correct looking car.  In my opinion this Buick is the best of the mid sized cars of this era though I may be prejudiced since I have one as well.  Apart from the total loss oil system the engineering is sound, nothing very odd.  You have the acetylene starter still intact, very nice.  What carburetor are you using?  I am have some success with the Schebler Model O.  Also with the center mount of the speedometer head does it not make for tight bends in  the cable?  All the best, we are attending the Old Car Fest perhaps we will see you there?  Gary

DSC_3626.JPG

Gary, Great looking Buick! I believe the carb is a Stromberg I will have to look at the model number.  The speedometer cable smoothly travels down between the bell housing and number 4 cylinder and then continues under the car. No tight bends at all. Working well. I will be at old car fest with my 12 Mitchell. Thanks for the comments. Andy

12mitch100hold.jpg

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)

"Welcome to our scenic and historic community. Don't miss our roadside farmer's markets and bounteous produce. Please maintain speeds greater that 60 MPH on all secondary roads and do not slow your vehicle when making turns." I think the sign said.

"He's pulling a trainer and can't see ahead!" my Wife exclaimed.

"I saw him coming in my mirror. It was a Dodge."

"You always say that."

"If he hadn't had the trainer you would have seen his tailgate."

Yeah, we went out for a ride.

Another big thanks to the tourism board of Genesee County. Or was that Urgensee.

Bernie

• Like 1

Drove the Special for the first time in awhile!

Unfortunately it wasn't too far as I have FINALLY committed to dropping the gas tank to clean it out and replacing the old fuel line (with the help of my son)!

IMG_3404_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.9f1a7cabaede9ef1a0c063afbbe9f109.jpg

• Like 3

Just got home a few hours ago from the AACA North East National Meet in Gettysburg. We left Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday we did the car tours, a Friday bus tour and then showed the '75 Electra Saturday. It was a fantastic event, extremely well organized and run. I was totally surprised and very happy last night at the Awards banquet when the car won it's First Place Jr. Award. The car drove flawlessly and we ended up visiting a friend in Pa. on the way home today. Total mileage for the trip was 767 miles and the car now has 22197 miles. I bought her last July with 18500 original miles and have enjoyed every mile since then.

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2920.JPG

• Like 9

It was one of those too few, at least here in Southern Ontario, perfect summer afternoon and evenings, so we took the '41 Roadmaster to a cruise night at a town about 15 miles away. Got to know a few more folks, and we sat chatted with a gent that fled the big city over 20 years ago, who owns a very interesting '58 Pontiac. In Canada the models were a bit different at times. Our top line Pontiac was called a Parisienne, instead of Bonneville, though I believe that they were trimmed out much the same. He has this one that was custom ordered, and built in Oshawa, which was the main assembly plant in Canada, and incidentally where my '41 was also made. This car was ordered with the beautiful top line trim, but a 6 cylinder, and no power assists.

Plus a few others which caught my fancy!

Keith 

BuickandTruck.jpg

BobsPont.jpg

Bettle1.jpg

IntTruck.jpg

• Like 9