Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Just got back from a car show supporting Veterans at the American Legion in Laurel Maryland. Fantastic time for a worthy cause. I am definitely going to starting to look into getting a 1 1/8 inch Performance Front Sway Bar for the Buick, she felt like she was swimming going around some corners today

Red Dawn at Am Leg Laurel 1.JPG

Red Dawn at Am Leg Laurel 2.JPG

Red Dawn at Am Leg Laurel 3.JPG

• Like 5

@cjp69 That is one sweet  Riviera!  Love the blackwall tires!  just screams performance!

Meanwhile, drove the GS approximately 140 miles yesterday.  Just local touring after a late breakfast run.  This car is my favorite!

1495621170_2018819funrun0005.thumb.JPG.04022688054097495706f544e14d32d9.JPG

918067809_2018819funrun0006.thumb.JPG.24489e042b4bcb1fd32849166833e702.JPG

The picture below is one of the dirt roads in that area.  It may look like the driveway to this farm home,  but it's on the maps and just passed by the property. 

344587039_2018819funrun0007.thumb.JPG.fed054f768292541dc471b513631fded.JPG

330137452_2018819funrun0008.thumb.JPG.ff68ac129ecfc96162f8ab7cb49b848d.JPG

2018 8 19  fun run0010.JPG

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Red Dawn said:

Just got back from a car show supporting Veterans at the American Legion in Laurel Maryland. Fantastic time for a worthy cause. I am definitely going to starting to look into getting a 1 1/8 inch Performance Front Sway Bar for the Buick, she felt like she was swimming going around some corners today

Red Dawn at Am Leg Laurel 1.JPG

Red Dawn at Am Leg Laurel 2.JPG

Red Dawn at Am Leg Laurel 3.JPG

• Like 1

Last Friday, we drove the '41 Roadmaster from our home in Southwestern Ontario, to an area near our Capital, Ottawa, a distance of of 380 miles, for a weekend meet of pre WWII cars. The Buick ran good, despite the terrible weather we had that day. Much like about two years ago when we drove to an area close to this in the '56.

The day started out gloomy, then light rain, then heavier and heavier. One town we traveled through had roads somewhat flooded, with the road completely covered from sidewalk to sidewalk. Not too deep, so I just took it easy and the car went through it with no problems. There was some other traffic going through the same spot so I was confident that the water was not excessively deep. I had the wiper motor rebuilt during the final part of the restoration, and the vacuum booster on the fuel pump works well, so the wipers performed well.

Many of the our usual friends attended, about 30 cars including cars ranging from a pair of '13 Model T's, a few Ford model A's, a '32 Desoto, and a few other vintage Chrysler products, and others, of course.

The next day, Sat., we visited a racetrack, and they have days where you can pay a fee and drive your car for a couple of laps. Not that day though, it was motorcycle racing. But some others had their cars out for display, including a new Ford GT, which I got to sit in! Very neat, but certainly not for the infirm! A short tour on Sunday, then off to spend the night with friends in a small town in Northern Ontario, then home on Monday. Total mileage was about 900. Never so much driving in this car in one weekend!

Pictures are tough to upload right now, as our internet is not working properly, its' kind of like dial up right now.

I will upload pictures later on, when I'm back to high speed!

Keith

• Like 6

On 8/21/2018 at 5:16 PM, jackofalltrades70 said:

Sunday I drove the ole girl to a show at the Moffat Estate.  Benefiting the William Kramer Scholarship foundation.  Had a good time.  All the kids really liked the car. She won her first trophy!  The kids choice award.  I usually don’t register when I go to events.  Also won a free alignment.  

384583F1-EEA2-402E-8CAA-B3CB5253EBEB.jpeg

Not surprised you received an award , great car, 

• Like 3

Not exactly me, and not exactly the weekend, but unknown to me when I left the house this morning is that others had plans and we would have a shortage of vehicles.  I wound up getting a text asking which vehicle the middle child should drive, the Skyhawk or the new Reatta.  My response was what about the truck?  Luke didn’t want the hassle of parking the truck back at home, so he took the Skyhawk.  He’s driven it a couple times now and seems to be getting comfortable.  It’s a happy little car (as Buicks go...it isn’t that much different in size than a Reatta, although it seats four).

I’m thinking it may be worth cleaning up a bit and, in spite of no A/C, have it driven down to OK next summer.

Oh, I should get going on hub caps for it.  I got a casting call for it last week...I’m waiting to hear back, but the car coordinator for a film shoot would like to see it as the hero car.

• Like 2

I should probably change the title of this thread to raise your hand when you drive an old Buick.  :lol:  But since we treat it that way already, here's a few shots at familiar surroundings, but with the new shoes, on the way to the last Hemmings Cruise in for the 2018 season... Where has this summer gone? 

633297974_2018823hemmings0001.thumb.JPG.f811b00492c66a84d9ebaf0c23d5361f.JPG835217191_2018823hemmings0003.thumb.JPG.014de6b1fbe01f8519d5fbef878a2a4c.JPG342114718_2018823hemmings0004.thumb.JPG.807e516024296a21f69bc4ad5d28b699.JPG1816533472_2018823hemmings0005.thumb.JPG.05f23040f3350e7b5cd28dff8a9ca974.JPG343749107_2018823hemmings0006.thumb.JPG.4bd70af58308ff68552ed19ed0f0120c.JPGAn

• Like 11

50 miles round trip ride for the ice cream social in Batavia with the Western New York Chapter of the Cadillac LaSalle Club. Went with a Buick Club friend, left early so we could stop and look at a '38 Olds and '51 DeSoto another friend just bought. Showed up in my '60 Electra, what's that saying about bringing a knife to a gunfight?, and let my friend try his skills at shifting my DynaFlow the last 10 miles home.

Perfect day.

006.thumb.JPG.fb9ea32ff0a76ecd6dad664578f557d1.JPG

008.thumb.JPG.5e7f3d1abf0b7ab40d16b50bc66628bd.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Being nice was the least I could do. After seeing DeSoto he went on and on about the three variations of Fluid Drive in great detail until I reached over, grabbed the back of his hair, and smacked his head on the dash three or four times.

I had to be nice.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

How do you shift a dynaflow?

The owner, and only the owner, puts the DynaFlow in low range and power brakes the car. The coil springs and torque tube distribute the power so the car rises vertically about 6". quite intimidating at a stoplight. The brakes will creak and a rear wheel will scuff and scratch like a cat paw. Release the brake and go to wide open throttle. At 60-65 just a nudge will drop it in drive and you should be right about 80 and a quarter mile from where you started.

If your motor mount is not broken the torque above 60 MPH will ease off and you have control of the throttle. If you delaminate the motor mount and are under 40 MPH..... well, you have your hands full.

Having that kind of power at 17 years old helps one prepare for adulthood. "Its mine, I broke it, and I will fix it- whenever I want."

I have always liked raising the car at stoplights.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

The owner, and only the owner, puts the DynaFlow in low range and power brakes the car. The coil springs and torque tube distribute the power so the car rises vertically about 6". quite intimidating at a stoplight. The brakes will creak and a rear wheel will scuff and scratch like a cat paw. Release the brake and go to wide open throttle. At 60-65 just a nudge will drop it in drive and you should be right about 80 and a quarter mile from where you started.

If your motor mount is not broken the torque above 60 MPH will ease off and you have control of the throttle. If you delaminate the motor mount and are under 40 MPH..... well, you have your hands full.

Having that kind of power at 17 years old helps one prepare for adulthood. "Its mine, I broke it, and I will fix it- whenever I want."

I have always liked raising the car at stoplights.

Bernie

For a minute there I thought you had been watching me!:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not much of a drive, but the Wildcat saw the light of day today...it had to move in order to move two pace cars to the other shop...it’s all part of a plan to shift things around...I really am out of space...I need to get my act together and get serious about moving a couple of things out of my life.

69CBAD10-D63E-4BD4-9B1D-8AC65C13E97C.jpeg

E9EF1574-39B8-4FDC-B421-DDD89D427986.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, dei said:

Managed more than a few trips across town this weekend due to the fact I have the reconditioned gas tank on.

IMG_3646.thumb.JPG.c9654ac1ae5881ff3616a982d28f7a65.JPG

What a treat to not be restricted to 38 miles on a portable gas can!!!!

I surely hope that the portable tank is not a 10 gallon one. That would be only 3.8 miles per gallon.  Even a 5 gallon can would only be giving you a little over 7 mpg's.  You either need a tune up of you own stock in an oil company.  ?

• Haha 1

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, we had a nice weekend away driving the '41 Roadmaster, but my internet was not working well at the time, so here are a few pictures, now that I'm back to high speed.

At the Calabogie Motor Sports park, there were a trio of cars which one could rent for $149., {Canadian} and take out for a few laps of the track. Also, a shot of me sitting in the new Ford GT, and my friend's '14 D-55, six cylinder Buick out for its' first tour. It ran well the whole weekend, after sitting for many decades, fortunately in good storage. He took a year or so to bring it back to life. These are such rare cars, but there is a McLaughlin version of the same model in the area as well. Still under restoration though.

A couple of pictures my wife took of the worst part of the rainstorm we drove though on our way to the meeting place. Fortunately it was worth the drive!

Good friends, great fellowship, and a nice bunch of cars!

Keith

CalaRacers1.jpg

KeithGTsml.jpg

CalaRenters1.jpg

Buick_14A.jpg

41BuickWind2.jpg

41BuickWind.jpg

41Buick1.jpg

• Like 6

I took my 1908 Model F Buick for a test run yesterday morning.  The transmission had something stuck between the gears that prevented me from starting it for the last one & two cylinder tour last month.  So I removed the transmission and found a stray stud that caused the problem.  While I had the car apart, I found the bands were beginning to wear down to the rivets.  So, I had the bands relined with oil resistant friction material bonded to the bands with epoxy.  The test run went well and I re-adjusted the bands upon returning home.  I ran the carburetor dry, & now it goes back on the jack stands and gets covered for the winter as there are no more one & two cylinder tours this year.

Model F Top Down.JPG

• Like 10

On 9/3/2018 at 8:51 PM, Buicknutty said:

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, we had a nice weekend away driving the '41 Roadmaster, but my internet was not working well at the time, so here are a few pictures, now that I'm back to high speed.

At the Calabogie Motor Sports park, there were a trio of cars which one could rent for $149., {Canadian} and take out for a few laps of the track. Also, a shot of me sitting in the new Ford GT, and my friend's '14 D-55, six cylinder Buick out for its' first tour. It ran well the whole weekend, after sitting for many decades, fortunately in good storage. He took a year or so to bring it back to life. These are such rare cars, but there is a McLaughlin version of the same model in the area as well. Still under restoration though.

A couple of pictures my wife took of the worst part of the rainstorm we drove though on our way to the meeting place. Fortunately it was worth the drive!

Good friends, great fellowship, and a nice bunch of cars!

Keith

CalaRacers1.jpg

KeithGTsml.jpg

CalaRenters1.jpg

Buick_14A.jpg

41BuickWind2.jpg

41BuickWind.jpg

41Buick1.jpg

Looks like Arnold & Gail’s beautiful red 1918 Buick Roadster. 

We want to thank them for the fantastic time we had as they organized this year’s London-to-Brighton (Ontario, Canada) week-long tour. The sites, collections, and roads were exceptional, and we felt welcome the entire week as we visited Alliston, Kincardine, and the shores of Lake Huron. The members of the AACA ONTARIO REGION went out of their way to make a couple of Louisiana tour-drivers feel right at home, enjoying Ontario hospitality.

3A3CBC74-93B0-4AA1-AA34-70E47624C566.jpeg

85FCD0C0-DE53-4039-B7FA-F6818BEB2E41.jpeg

49EC6039-0179-4CB7-A9EE-C63258AF090F.jpeg

323D8BE3-C78A-482B-8EE0-455181DFE532.jpeg

E45D58A7-5565-4C54-9F26-4B200217B6A7.jpeg

5E9D25F7-A147-4C27-853D-9E345A660344.jpeg

• Like 6