Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Does taking Toby out of the garage for the first time to test drive counts? If so... went around the Cul-de-sac and back to the garage. So far All systems working!

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Left turns?...who won?

Ring around the rosi..... I drove it and it is a Buick. The engine sounds good and the Dyna is shifting properly, brakes properly adjusted. Getting closer to strip, paint, glass, interior and tires. Give it about 1/2 year time wise. $ wise..... lots of overtime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I want to SEE that

Ben

Remember I have not taken it over the road yet but what I can feel is jut working properly.Just come down for a road test. 

Well it finally happened, I ran out of gas.... ugh.  ? luckily I was only about a mile and a half from home and someone who recognized me and my car pulled over gave me a ride to get fuel. Guess its time to fix the fuel gauge. 

20180722_103405.jpg

• Haha 2

It's a good reason to fuel up by the odometer, not the gas gauge. 

Ben: I cannot imagine the inconvenience that must have been for everybody!

Meanwhile got the '56 out for a nice 40 mile cruise in the evening yesterday.  No where special to go, just going... and going...  That car is really my favorite!

• Like 2

Do good intentions count ? Had the '25 all ready to go to a local Optimist car show. Show ran from 9 till 3. Rained from 8 till 2:45. About 10 newer and restomod types showed up.Usually they have 100+ cars.

Jim

1925 Buick ready for show 001.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5:20 and I just pulled the door down for the weekend. The '60 Electra and the convertible both got nice drives. 80 degrees with top down or all four windows feels better than air conditioning any day.

002.thumb.JPG.18ce97de9157a25e2b02c723eb8f0d1c.JPG

Also took that Brand X car for a good run at lunch. No kidding, that ZF 6 speed feels like a Dynaflow in sedate driving conditions.

Bernie

A BMW guy said the Buick made the 7 look like a 3.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Since the monsoons headed west of my area, I got another chance to go for an unscripted 36 mile ride. 

Devils Lane.  Not so scary, but a great ride!

312106706_CruiseIntoSummer100001.thumb.JPG.7e1ea4d480e0102b2979e6dca065d6d8.JPG

Sunset on the road less traveled!

2024594828_CruiseIntoSummer100003.thumb.JPG.47b8b10f7e532f20985fd5a17c1c4b82.JPG1290125857_CruiseIntoSummer100005.thumb.JPG.d0c2fd0ef0f20923ba6e648e1ecf0e2d.JPG

And a corner store a little past its prime

564539914_CruiseIntoSummer100006.thumb.JPG.bac25ed14d64827cec4ad73fafb7b0cd.JPG

A last shot at the sunset

811132971_CruiseIntoSummer100002.thumb.JPG.1f9ea33581cdf0f66a2adb1e8cd57705.JPG

Gonna rain the rest of this week..

• Like 8

Drove the blue car (Suzybelle) to the Caladium Festival in Lake Placid, FL today.  Desperate to go somewhere with my old cars here in "Hot Rod Land".  She was one of three cars out of over 100 with the original engine, or type of engine.  Ten years ago this show had not been taken over by hotrods and late model Corvettes and Mustangs.  Anyway she won a first against a 47 Ford that had hopped up flathead in it....at least it was a flathead...so I guess that mad 4 cars.  The other two were a very nice 1955 Chevrolet Belair and a 1964 Ford convertible with a factory 390 in it.

The main thing is that it was not too hot this morning and the old '39 straight 8 got up to 70+ while I was day dreaming about something....maybe that 41 Buick Limited...ha.  Coming back it was hotter than three shades of Hadees and I had no vapor lock because I had paid $3.79 a gallon for real gas at the only station for many miles around that has it.  The temperatue gauge was reasonable too, as I held it down to 55, but I did get caught at one long winded light and the temp went up past 3/4....maybe 200-205 that quick.  But when we got going again I drove about 50 and she came back down to 185-190....no pressure cap on a '39....and God was riding in the passenger seat I think because I hit all the lights green the rest of the way.  Then the daily thunder storm hit just before I got home and the temp went down to about 175 and I got caught at the last light.  All in all Suzybelle didn't miss a beat, and hasn't since I went back to points & condenser.  She just would not run on that electronic ignition kit when the engine warmed up good.  I threw it, box and all into the trash the other day.  One wiper blade was stuck but worked fine when I got home in the garage and got out and unstuck it.  Dang, I hated to wipe the car down before coming into the A/C though. ?

39 Buick highschooler 2.JPG

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, BuickBob49 said:

$3.79/gallon for real fuel would be a bargain for me.  I am paying $4.79/gallon for it in Portland, OR, for my 39 Roadmaster. I'm paying $3.59/gallon for premium E10 for my daily driver.

$2.68 regaular ethanol for the modern car will run that junk just as well as high test.  I have to drive 8 miles each way to get real gasoline here.  I think it illegal for the airport to sell it to cars here, but that's further away from me anyway.  If I was younger I'd sell this Florida place and move back to Virginia full time in a NY minute.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Drove the blue car (Suzybelle) to the Caladium Festival in Lake Placid, FL today.  Desperate to go somewhere with my old cars here in "Hot Rod Land".  She was one of three cars out of over 100 with the original engine, or type of engine.  Ten years ago this show had not been taken over by hotrods and late model Corvettes and Mustangs.  Anyway she won a first against a 47 Ford that had hopped up flathead in it....at least it was a flathead...so I guess that mad 4 cars.  The other two were a very nice 1955 Chevrolet Belair and a 1964 Ford convertible with a factory 390 in it.

The main thing is that it was not too hot this morning and the old '39 straight 8 got up to 70+ while I was day dreaming about something....maybe that 41 Buick Limited...ha.  Coming back it was hotter than three shades of Hadees and I had no vapor lock because I had paid $3.79 a gallon for real gas at the only station for many miles around that has it.  The temperatue gauge was reasonable too, as I held it down to 55, but I did get caught at one long winded light and the temp went up past 3/4....maybe 200-205 that quick.  But when we got going again I drove about 50 and she came back down to 185-190....no pressure cap on a '39....and God was riding in the passenger seat I think because I hit all the lights green the rest of the way.  Then the daily thunder storm hit just before I got home and the temp went down to about 175 and I got caught at the last light.  All in all Suzybelle didn't miss a beat, and hasn't since I went back to points & condenser.  She just would not run on that electronic ignition kit when the engine warmed up good.  I threw it, box and all into the trash the other day.  One wiper blade was stuck but worked fine when I got home in the garage and got out and unstuck it.  Dang, I hated to wipe the car down before coming into the A/C though. ?

39 Buick highschooler 2.JPG

Like name ,Suzybelle  , pretty car suits it 

As promised 

firstly I may add he took over 100  photos and some are very artistic , he has promised me some , which I shall post on relevant post 

However , as I was a bystander mine are not posed and often some distance away , mostly for modesty’s sake ! As the some wouldn’t be allowed and dont want to reprimanded again .

8FCCD7BA-79B2-4A50-9FB5-4159AA0F214A.jpeg

6FE42B56-AE2A-4013-A255-D242E39C5349.jpeg

BB5788B5-9F8B-44A0-A35F-718C1E37BBCA.jpeg

DE4AA2EA-48DC-4BE9-AFB4-D43E2B668362.jpeg

AC634E26-0E81-46D2-9D1F-412C21E50FB5.jpeg

43B28189-DC60-4410-AA73-51E73FFF6987.jpeg

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 9

It was a good weekend for driving some Buicks. Not too hot, but the price was the rather unsettled weather we've had the last couple of days. Yesterday, (Sat) we drove the Reatta about 200 miles, but unfortunately only about 40 or so with the top down, due to the aforementioned weather.

This morning, we took the '41 out for about a 50 mile run to do some exploring through another part of our new area. Stopped at an interesting town called "Otterville", named after the Otter Creek which runs through it. There is an old mill built in the early part of the 19th century, which has been turned into a park, though the building wasn't open when we were there.

A couple of pictures are of that, and the other is of my 17 year old son driving the '41 for the first time up our driveway. The driveway is about 300 ft or so long, and he did fine, didn't stall it, or grind gears! Due to insurance, he won't be able to drive it on the road for a few more years, but its' good for him to get a bit of experience.

A couple of other sightings, a decent looking '66 Wildcat four door sedan, and then another place we went past had a '59 Caddy, a Nash Metropolian, and a '55 Special Wagon, all quite original looking, meaning a bit tired, but not wrecks. Too far onto private property to get pictures though.

Keith

41Buickat Millsml.jpg

41Buick atMill2sml.jpg

41BuickDrive.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, dei said:

John,

With that cornfield background, the darkening shadows in the tree line and that black top she looks, well ... just SUPER!

Thanks Dei.  I am really having a good time driving the lady around.  But I need to get more than 20 to 40 miles at a shot. I need a road trip. Really missed driving to the National this year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Thanks Dei.  I am really having a good time driving the lady around.  But I need to get more than 20 to 40 miles at a shot. I need a road trip. Really missed driving to the National this year. 

Can't say as I feel sorry for you there John. LOL!

At least you are stretching her legs and with my gas tank issues holding things up for me I can't keep up with you right now so will live vicariously through your wonderful shots. 

Keep it going!

The Electra did you proud at last years National and so sorry we didn't connect while there.

The trip to this years would have been a test for the Super had you taken her. 

Guessing you might be planning to attend the National in 2020 in Ohio being so close?

I just might have all the bugs worked out of the Special before then to be able to go...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

As promised 

firstly I may add he took over 100  photos and some are very artistic , he has promised me some , which I shall post on relevant post 

However , as I was a bystander mine are not posed and often some distance away , mostly for modesty’s sake ! As the some wouldn’t be allowed and dont want to reprimanded again .

8FCCD7BA-79B2-4A50-9FB5-4159AA0F214A.jpeg

6FE42B56-AE2A-4013-A255-D242E39C5349.jpeg

BB5788B5-9F8B-44A0-A35F-718C1E37BBCA.jpeg

DE4AA2EA-48DC-4BE9-AFB4-D43E2B668362.jpeg

AC634E26-0E81-46D2-9D1F-412C21E50FB5.jpeg

43B28189-DC60-4410-AA73-51E73FFF6987.jpeg

Sounds like Russian collusion to me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, dei said:

The trip to this years would have been a test for the Super had you taken her. 

Guessing you might be planning to attend the National in 2020 in Ohio being so close?

Thinking of driving the GS to Oklahoma next year and then, if the stars align, the Super to Ohio in 2020.  Haven't had the  Super to a National since 2003.  But maintenance tasks are lining up now.  So if I get pressed, then hopefully the Electra will still be ready to go. 

No matter what, I'll not regret taking any one of the three.  Well, maybe the Super to Oklahoma. I imagine that would be a hot ride.

• Like 2

We drove to the Port Dover cruise night, on Monday evening. We were here a couple of weeks ago, but this time we were able to stay for a bit longer. Quite a nice group of cars, and of course everything's new to us here.

This time it I took the '56 Roadmaster, as it hasn't been driven since I brought it out to the new place many weeks ago.

Like John says about his '56, it is a great driving car, and it was nice to get out and drive it the 50 miles or so round trip.

A few Buicks were there, including the '82 Riv convert that was parked beside me. A really neat '62 Wildcat, with an interesting custom paint job, lots of metal flake. It looked nice, and not too over the top. The rest of the car appeared stock. A nicely restored '32 Buick, and a couple of Datsun/Nissan Z cars, an early 240, and a later 300 2+2. I owned a '77 280Z for a long time, and it was one of my favourite cars. One of the few that I'd lke to "buy back".

Quite an unusual one was a 2 door hardtop '64 "Cuda" station wagon. This was custom creation, and it started out life as a 4 door sedan, and 2 body shops later, countless hours, and I'm sure dollars spent, I think that it really looks like something Chysler should of built. All done to a very high standard.

Keith

Datsun1.jpg

Cruise56Buick.jpg

Wildcat62A.jpg

Wildcat62B.jpg

Zed300.jpg

Buick32.jpg

• Like 4

We have had very unusual weather lately. We have had rain 16 of the last 16 days. I have not had much opportunity to dirve my 1937 Buick Century recently. We had some nice weather after early morning rains and before afternoon thunderstorms, so I was able to drive to our local Cars and Coffee this morning. 

DSC_0237.JPG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

We have had very unusual weather lately. We have had rain 16 of the last 16 days. I have not had much opportunity to dirve my 1937 Buick Century recently. We had some nice weather after early morning rains and before afternoon thunderstorms, so I was able to drive to our local Cars and Coffee this morning. 

DSC_0237.JPG

Looks good!  Buckle up, I hear August is gonna be soggy here too!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Looks good!  Buckle up, I hear August is gonna be soggy here too!  

Last week we passed our average ANNUAL rainfall total. If we get a Hurricane this year we are going to be in trouble. The ground is saturated.  

Picked up Almendrón from storage to install a new battery I ordered 6 months ago. Approximately 24 miles round trip. When I stored back it was already nighttime, took some pictures on the building rooftop. When I turned the engine (322) off, I smelled as overheating and soon discovered a coolant leak from what it looks like an overflow hose around the right front fender. I lifted the passenger side carpet to see if it was the heater core leaking inside the car but it was dry. Puzzle since I got a recored radiator, rebuilt water pump and a new heater core. If the engine was overheating the coolant never came out from the radiator overflow hose. Any ideas?

347B4455-D24C-46D2-887B-48DC7E428EBB.jpeg

1F5DEAB5-73E9-4C6A-9892-A10F78BC0141.jpeg

• Like 2