Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

little more than 500 miles round trip to Lehighton  PA for the NE regional meet.  Kinda feels like cheating in this car, but then again, it is 46 years old.  Will try to get more pics posted later but I kinda like this one.

DSC00160.thumb.JPG.ed1ab4560d6e9e2071781aaa53fdb4b3.JPG

• Like 7

Here are a few pictures from our trip last week. My friend's '37 McLaughlin Limited, and another's '39 Special sedan. You can see the back end of a '38 McLaughlin Special, though I'm sorry I don't have any better pictures of that car. A nice backdrop for a very old car, as its' very vintage looking setup in front of the old barn, which is now an art studio. The gentleman paints with melted beeswax, tinited to various colours. Very interesting technique that I'd never heard of before, but it apparently dates back to ancient Greece. The 37, 38, and 39 are all driven long distances quite a bit too.

Keith

Tour37.jpg

TourRe.jpg

Dave's39_1.jpg

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Here are a few pictures from our trip last week. My friend's '37 McLaughlin Limited, and another's '39 Special sedan. You can see the back end of a '38 McLaughlin Special, though I'm sorry I don't have any better pictures of that car. A nice backdrop for a very old car, as its' very vintage looking setup in front of the old barn, which is now an art studio. The gentleman paints with melted beeswax, tinited to various colours. Very interesting technique that I'd never heard of before, but it apparently dates back to ancient Greece. The 37, 38, and 39 are all driven long distances quite a bit too.

Keith

Tour37.jpg

Keith,

I think you will recognize the 1938 McLaughlin Coupe better in this photo...  I guess it is a small world when a guy from North Carolina can provide a better photo of a car from Canada to help illustrate your post.

DSC_0386.JPG

• Like 1

If I remember correctly that would be Bill and Rosalee Hamilton's car. I also recognize Bob  and Doreen Ward's Limited. I think we have some friends in common, although we certainly live a long way from each other. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MCHinson said:

If I remember correctly that would be Bill and Rosalee Hamilton's car. I also recognize Bob  and Doreen Ward's Limited. I think we have some friends in common, although we certainly live a long way from each other. :)

You are correct on both counts. Like the old saying, "Small World"! Those folks have been friends of mine for many years.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Had my latest, and probably last, restoration out today for a picture taking trip and to get some real gas (non-ethanol) which was $3.799 here in beautiful downtown Sebring, FL at our ONLY gas station with it.  Enjoy two of the pictures here.

41 Buick finished 2.JPG

41 Buick Finished 3.JPG

That is one BEAUTIFUL BUICK!

That year really speaks to me.

If I had not gotten hooked on the 58's early as I did I would have one like it in my garage.

Many happy travels!

9 hours ago, dei said:

That is one BEAUTIFUL BUICK!

That year really speaks to me.

If I had not gotten hooked on the 58's early as I did I would have one like it in my garage.

Many happy travels!

My wife and I owned two different 1958 Buicks back in the day.  My parents bought a baby blue/white Special sedan new and when they traded for a 1967 LeSabre we got that car.  At that time, we had just finished using up a 1958 all white Special with factory air, which I sold for $100. The blue car lasted until about 1969 or 1970 when we gave it to my father-in-law.  It ended up ingloriously in the woods on a farm in Upperville, VA.  Both cars gave me lots of trouble, but after all these years when I see one, it speaks to me, as you say.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Perhaps we are mixed up. My friends own a '38 McLaughlin (not a Buck) coupe just like the one in the picture MCHinson posted, and his caption lead me to believe that it was the same car and the same owners that is only partly shown in my post, but which shows the '37 (McLaughlin) Limited clearly. These cars have been in long term ownership of those folks, Bill and Rosalea('38), and Bob and Doreen ('37). There may very well be two '38's with the same combo.

I'll also note, that unlike earlier years, there was little difference between the Canadian built McLaughlin Buicks, and the US built Buicks.

Hope this helps to clear up any misunderstanding.

Keith

Earl,

His small world comment was a response to my response to his earlier post. He posted a photo that included Bob Ward's car with a small portion of Bill Hamilton's coupe. I posted a complete photo of Bill's coupe. The small world comment is a reflection that a guy from NC could provide a better photo of his Canadian friend's car for him. I know both Bob and Bill through the 36-38 Buick Club. I have many photos of both of their cars from the 2018 36-38 Buick Club tour in Indiana.

It is not the weekend yet, but yesterday was my birthday, so I am figuring Wednesday through Sunday is an appropriate block of time to celebrate. 1948-2018- there are a few people whom would be amazed I made it. The first image that comes to mind is the guy in the cloud of dust in the lighted bar parking lot angrily waving his crutch as I sped away in my '71 LTD convertible. I picked up a used windshield the next day for $30 and things were back to normal. An image that has always made me smile.

(Edit: the image in the rear view mirror was the second time I buzzed him.)

Yesterday was spotty rain and overcast. We took my '60 Electra along the Ontario Beach Parkway about 25 miles to a favorite spot, Nick's Seabreeze Inn, and had a late lunch of goodies from the anti pasta bar. Then home the long way, weaving along between the Lake and a series of ponds. Maybe a ride through the muckland today to another little place for lunch near Batavia. Over the past few years I have taken an interest in the glacial geology of the area. It fits in pretty well with back road rides in old cars.

012.thumb.JPG.5531fb9124a3ae28ca341822653d5171.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 9

A cool and dreary day here, a bit of rain here and there, but my son and I took a bit of time in between doing work around the place for a couple of cruises in the '41 Roadmaster. The last one, after supper was to the local DQ for some desert. Only 35-40 miles all together.

An exhaust gasket had blown out on our trip in August, and I had got it replaced, and also used some goopy material to help to seal it. I have had trouble with this spot before. It is the connection from the front exhaust manifold to the short connecting pipe. I think that the flange is not quite right. It is of course a repro one, though otherwise I have no complaints with system. Now the car is quiet like a Buick should be!

So nice to get out and drive it, as our driving season is wrapping up.

Keith

41Garage.jpg

41BuickDQ.jpg

• Like 7

Went to a local all make car show with some chapter members today. 

It was a charity event for the  John Theissen Children's Foundation.

Got quite exciting when the Football player signing autographs

was Ottis Anderson, Superbowl MVP in 1991 who received a 1991 red Reatta conv. from Buick.

He came over to my car and was thrilled to see one just like the one he received in '91.

Pretty cool day   

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

• Like 5

It was kind of a bittersweet day today as I drove the Skyhawk out to the country property to get ready for winter.  To put it in its winter location I also had to drive the Wildcat a bit...it has a leak at the power steering pump, so the exhaust manifold was wet and things got a bit smoky...another thing on the list for next year.  We had previously rearranged the shop a bit, moving two of the pace car replicas to the old shop.  The 1959 should be ready any day, so I needed to make space for it as well.  Here are things parked...I will have to pull batteries next time I’m out there.  I have a bit more driving left in the season as my new Reatta will also need to move out to the country.  

854E4A5A-5807-44C1-94EF-4AB1AB9AAE8D.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Thriller said:

It was kind of a bittersweet day today

Same for me Derek.  

I drove the 38 from the barn to the gas station for a fill-up in preparation for a Sunday memorial cruise for loved ones lost in prior years.  I had to jump start it and it was not charging properly as I drove to the gas station.  I barely made it back to the barn on the low charged battery.  So, we drove the GMC Caballero (currently for sale) on the cruise and actually got a nibble to sell it.  

I will try polarizing the generator after recharging the battery to see if it fixes the problem.  

'38 Buick.jpg

1986 Caballero.jpg

• Like 1

Finally stopped raining after a month and we had 2 sunny days. Still not dry enough to do any painting on the 1925. We put on about 80 miles on the 1937 yesterday. Also I installed the re-built radio Dave's 40 Buick did for me. I do not have it hooked up yet as I have to re-cover the antenna lead in wires. Rubber coated with a shielding layer. Most of the rubber coating is gone. Also I have to mold a new lead in grommet as well as one for the power lead.

810942960_DSCF6163(2).thumb.JPG.f4476f4d79873b3dda075d8afaee4ee3.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Same for me Derek.  

I drove the 38 from the barn to the gas station for a fill-up in preparation for a Sunday memorial cruise for loved ones lost in prior years.  I had to jump start it and it was not charging properly as I drove to the gas station.  I barely made it back to the barn on the low charged battery.  So, we drove the GMC Caballero (currently for sale) on the cruise and actually got a nibble to sell it.  

I will try polarizing the generator after recharging the battery to see if it fixes the problem.   

'38 Buick.jpg

1986 Caballero.jpg

10 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Same for me Derek.  

'38 Buick.jpg

1986 Caballero.jpg

Regrettably, I have only driven my '71 LeSabre 9 miles this year. I took it out once prior to the registration expiring in July to a local cruise in. I didn't bother to register it but I may yet so I can take it out once more before putting it up for the winter. It's perfectly driveable but needs work to make it more enjoyable to drive.  

49 minutes ago, John_Maine said:

Regrettably, I have only driven my '71 LeSabre 9 miles this year.

That's too bad. That generation Buick just begs to be driven.  This summer I racked up 890 delightful miles in the 72 Electra without even trying.  What does your 71 need?

On 10/1/2018 at 8:25 PM, jscheib said:

Mark,

I have to figure out how to add a quote.  Funny, perhaps the sale of the car was because you had the problem with the  '38.

John

John - add a quote? 

just click on the word "quote", and continue to ba informative, funny, pithy, or observatory - but please continue as you have in the past - thanks

• Like 1

I drove my 1937 Century to the local Cars and Coffee this morning. I will be driving it to lunch shortly, and then out to dinner later this evening. It is nice to have some lower humidity levels now here, although it will be even better when the temperatures get a little bit lower in the next month or so. 

DSC_0412.JPG

• Like 1

240 miles on the Electra today, attending the LHV Chapter picnic.  Always a great time. Thanks to Paul , Steve, Roddy,  and the numerous chapter volunteers for a nice time!

Filled up when I got back and recorded 17.1 mpg.  That's running 65 mph with the cruise and w/out the AC, although I did use it a few times to cool the ducts and reduce humidity.

2105442248_DSC00303(1).thumb.JPG.d6f386dee83d2e441d288517e80e8c0d.JPG

• Like 5