Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

I drove my 64 Wildcat about 120 miles this weekend.

Check out the post in general discussion to check out our outing Saturday.

This was a mini tour put on by Lagnaippe from Houma,La

If you "uplanders"every wondered where your rain and snow ends up ,check out the spillway pictures.

Ken

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

I like how it’s the guys from Ontario posting updates when it’s still winter...I’ve probably got a month before things clear enough to consider getting the old iron moving...sigh.

Well, geographically you are really up there compared to us here in Southern Ontario.

An interesting point not well known is that Pointe Pelee National Park, the southern most part of Ontario (besides Pelee Island out in Lake Erie) is along the same latitude as the Northern Border of California.

Yes we get the minus degree temps and snow but the duration swing in temperature are frequent so occasionally get those chances to go for a ride. That helps to break up the monotony of a long winter.

On the other hand, I admire your dedication (effort and costs) to join the Buick fun at Nationals etc. in the lower 48. I think it takes hardy people to live where you are!

Best regards.

• Like 3

Our local AACA group had our Spring Tune-Up Tour Sunday, 19 cars and 43 people.  Met at Texas Motor Speedway and then toured back roads toward Decatur, where we stopped at the NRS (National Ropers Supply) for lunch and a brief business meeting.  Logged about 130 miles on the '39 Buick. 

IMG_0962.thumb.JPG.44bdde9a84107e25460b8f09289edaa7.JPGIMG_0979.thumb.JPG.75b48997059d19aea8ecc3b3a522f7b4.JPGIMG_0980.thumb.JPG.886fc32652734bc732eeae00484fcc68.JPG

• Like 6

Jeeze @ted sweet,   you got to move out of those hills!  We had those flurries after you sent them our way yesterday, but no additional salt. There's enough out there still from the last storm!   Actually I cannot even believe that I have not started the Super or the GS all winter!  Not even this past Friday when it hit 70* around here.  Of course yesterday and today it's back to the mid 30's with strong winds making it feel like it's in the 20's.  I've had just a little too much of winter this year.  Come-on Spring!  

We got out of my '60 Electra on the town square over in the next county and my Wife asked if I brought my camera for the "Did you drive your old Buick" forum.

I had been out in the garage Brand Xing before we left and didn't think of it. Just came in from more Brand Xing. Nice to have a Buick that you just stick the key in and go.

No picture today, but parked in the same spot, ordered the same thing from the same waitress, and she went out for groceries when we got home.

This could be today's picture. Like the old guy said "Sonny, nuthin' changes but the date.

001.thumb.JPG.3fd265b7fa2a922f7611d04be74c34e3.JPG

• Like 6

Large Marge just took Linda and I and our grandson on a 949 mile round trip down to the Boston Mountains and Ouachita Mountains in Northern Arkansas.  Left Thursday AM and got back this afternoon.  Took in Crystal Bridges museum in Bentonville, the Daisy BB gun museum in Rogers,  lunch in Eureka Springs, a Razorback baseball game in Fayetteville, and dinner with family in Alma.  Base of operations was a cabin in Lake Fort Smith on the Scenic old 71 highway. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Large Marge just took Linda and I and our grandson on a 949 mile round trip down to the Boston Mountains and Ouachita Mountains in Northern Arkansas.  Left Thursday AM and got back this afternoon.  Took in Crystal Bridges museum in Bentonville, the Daisy BB gun museum in Rogers,  lunch in Eureka Springs, a Razorback baseball game in Fayetteville, and dinner with family in Alma.  Base of operations was a cabin in Lake Fort Smith on the Scenic old 71 highway. 

My family lived in Green Forest area, which is 30 min east of Eureka Springs. All my old stomping grounds. Dad,mom, one brother and a sister buried there.  Sure you had a nice time and the trip through that area is very scenic in any season.

• Like 2

Just to add to my previous posts.  I forgot that we also took the auto tours of Pea Ridge National Park and Prairie Grove State Park, both Civil War battlefields.

I just filled up and calculated my round trip mileage.  When I got to the station the odometer read exactly 48,000.5 miles.  So it was 960 miles between fill-ups.  I used 47.1 gallons of gas for an average of 20.4 mpg. 

Not bad for a 4600 pound car fully loaded; especially considering the time you spend at idle while waiting on the light to turn red in NW Arkansas cities.  (Really bad infrastructure)  The area is growing exponentially, and there are no new roads being built.  I-49 will get you down the road but once you get off the interstate it's slow going. 

Then there are the mountains.  Steep up and down.  They're not high but they're there. Not too many places are flat or straight.  I'm pretty happy with the performance and economy that "Large Marge" has been giving me.  

Ed

• Like 1

The Buick Club of New South Wales took a trip to the township of Molong, 170 miles west of Sydney. We had a great roll-up for a 3 day event with approximately 25 Buicks ranging from 1920 to 1980 in attendance. The drought was rather obvious with the landscape brown and dusty with trees beginning to die. At my home on the coast north of Sydney we had flooding! Picture is a member's 1934 Holden bodied barn find.

DSC05914.JPG

• Like 3

I saw most of my old Buicks today...and cut through the drift in front of the shop with the tractor.  It’ll be a while before anything gets on the road...I’ve got a lot to do to get ready and make some decisions about the driving season and Oklahoma.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 1:44 PM, jvelde said:

Our local AACA group had our Spring Tune-Up Tour Sunday, 19 cars and 43 people.  Met at Texas Motor Speedway and then toured back roads toward Decatur, where we stopped at the NRS (National Ropers Supply) for lunch and a brief business meeting.  Logged about 130 miles on the '39 Buick. 

IMG_0962.thumb.JPG.44bdde9a84107e25460b8f09289edaa7.JPGIMG_0979.thumb.JPG.75b48997059d19aea8ecc3b3a522f7b4.JPGIMG_0980.thumb.JPG.886fc32652734bc732eeae00484fcc68.JPG

I did not know there is a north TX AACA group.  I live 23 miles NW of Fort Worth

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Next week will make 6 months since I drove an old Buick....  😞

33 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Know how you feel , was  4 months for me , end of October till today , was getting withdrawal symptoms 😊

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

That is a sad turn of events!  But for discussion, how do you define an "old" Buick?    

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Lol. Or any buick in my case

It may not be "old" to many but I feel like that 92 Wagon I bought, almost fills this niche every time I drive it.  Felt the same way about the 78 Wagon I had too.  Modern by most standards but both more than 26 years old already.  And both Buicks with Buick engines!   I recommend you find something similar. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnD1956 said:

It may not be "old" to many but I feel like that 92 Wagon I bought, almost fills this niche every time I drive it.  Felt the same way about the 78 Wagon I had too.  Modern by most standards but both more than 26 years old already.  And both Buicks with Buick engines!   I recommend you find something similar. 

I'm loving my recent 78 purchase (sorry not buick) modern enough to have some amenities, highway driveability, and reliability, old enough to get attention.

1 minute ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I'm loving my recent 78 purchase (sorry not buick) modern enough to have some amenities, highway driveability, and reliability, old enough to get attention.

What did you buy?

6 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

That is a sad turn of events!  But for discussion, how do you define an "old" Buick?    

In my case it goes without saying I’m a 47 , Ruby’s a 53 , no doubt both in general opinion old!

Ruby has advantage been restored and looks great , me unfortunately plenty  signs of wear  , think my wife would like me to have the makeover,  but restoration costs big bucks , so she will have make do with good quality daily driver !

but feel Ruby and I  have quite a few years fun left in both of us  😁

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

I'm in a similar situation with me being a "double nickle baby" and my Buick's are '58's so what does that make me? 😝

Fortunately I have much older cars that makes me the youngin' I guess. 😁

Planning a ride tomorrow out to the Car Cub for some fun.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

In my case it goes without saying I’m a 47 , Ruby’s a 53 , no doubt both in general opinion old!

About the same as you Pilgrim65.  I'm a '51, and the oldest car is a '56.  It was around 1960 or so that I remember getting the car bug.  That's the waning years of dad's 55 Buick. And I remember that one plus the two neighbors with 56's, a Roadmaster 4 dr hardtop and a Special convertible.  When Dad got the 60 Olds in 61 or so, he gave the 55 to my aunt.  I didn't miss it much then, but when she gave it back in 64 and my older brother began to beat it up, I took a much greater interest.   But Dad sold it in '66 before I got my license and bought the '65 Electra.  I was upset when he sold the '55 as I really wanted to drive it more than I had already done numerous times around the block.  But I was smitten when he came home with the Electra.  

A few years later the one neighbor gave me his '56 Roadmaster which had been all cracked up!  But at that point anything 20 years old, or older, was an old car to me.  I saw value in a lot of 20+ year old cars through my years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1