Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

About 80 miles down to The Lumberyard, in Perry, NY, and back for the Cadillac Club buffet breakfast...... in a Buick.

New York, land of concrete, steel, and glass. That's what I heard. I can share the view, but I couldn't capture the deep breaths of dairy air.

IMG_9952.thumb.JPG.c41946a2f7602e569942887c7862ff11.JPG

IMG_9953.thumb.JPG.f318bf3f9f171ec47a0957871987d82f.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Drove my 39 Special 80 miles round trip last Saturday to Sauder Village Museum in Archbold,OH for their annual Antique Car Festival. Cars must be 1942 or earlier and stock or restored to stock. NO rods or modifieds. My kind of show!!  80 ish cars displayed throughout the village either under or near many shady trees. No entry fee or trophies. They give you $20 "Sauder Bucks" to spend anywhere in the Village. The show usually is held in mid May. Lovers of prewar cars within a roughly 50 mile radius of Archbold (NW Ohio) should make this a yearly place to be.

Edited by Glassesguy (see edit history)
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Looking over George's hood at miles and miles of west texas. 

Gotta wonder if George smiles while you drive a road like that?  I know I would! 

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2019 at 9:44 PM, JohnD1956 said:

So I asked if he wanted me to try my GS trunk key, just in case it would work.  He thought it was different as his was the small round head while the '69's was the larger oval style head.  So I inserted the key easily to avoid jamming the cylinder and it went in no problem.  I then twisted my key and the trunk opened.

This happened to me at the first Buick National I went to, near Cleveland in '77, I think. I was talking to a nice gent about my car, then locked the door with the keys in the ignition. I had a spare set, but they were in my hotel room, and I wasn't staying at the host hotel.

Then another fellow walks by, and seeing what was going on, offers to try some keys he had. Turns out he had quite a few, but it only was the second or third one he tried, that opened my door! Wow, I was greatfull, but scary how easy it was.

I am sure that the fellow who came to my rescue was the late Bob James, who often attended BCA events, and was well known by many. Didn't know him at the time, but got to know him later on.

Keith

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 6:32 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

888515679_BuicksandBlueBonnets2011123.thumb.jpg.e77fe3ebbad70bb7bc925ebb6137b465.jpg

Looking over George's hood at miles and miles of west texas.  About 50 of them to the next town west, very forgettable  BBQ and back.  Enjoyed George.

Ben

Hey Ben, I heard on the radio way up here that potentially dangerous heavy weather is headed your way. Just checked the MyRadar Pro app on my iPad, and see it is West and North of you so far. Sure hope the worst of this hits in unpopulated areas there. 

Man ! Sorry to remind you of "very forgettable BBQ". Didn't think the Lone Star State would tolerate that ! Pleased to have enjoyed the Fredericksburg /Luckenbach area several times. From there I ran up to Cooper's in Llano at the recommendation of the pickers I was hanging with. Toted a substantial load of "to go" back to Luckenbach, and doubled-up on the previous friends I had made. Where is the best BBQ in the Wichita Falls area ?      

Back when I could still concentrate well enough to drive fast, I loved the high speed limits and light patrol in West Texas. Many, if not most of us, know the thrill of heeding the call of the open road.  Terrified to drive at night------------------ Yo !!!!!!!!! A phone call came in, and after a call to duty, hours have passed. Therefore I checked the 'Pro again (9:00 PDT), and see that things could be tense 'round your parts now and later. For all I know, you could be without power, hunkered down in the twister cellar. Let us know you are OK when things clear outta there.------------------------ Anyway I was going to comment about the "slaughterhouse" 290 is around and West of Dripping Springs at night with the deer density there. Seriously, I slow down to 25 on the blood red highway there. In and out of Luckenbach at night,10-15 is advised. I am hoping to drive Texas again late Winter, early Spring of 2024. According to predictions, there will be a total solar eclipse happening there early April, and I would like to see it if I am still able. But I don't need to hit another deer. I have only ever hit one, scarcely 15 miles from home on the way back from a trip to California. Oh, bla, bla, bla.    Stay safe Ben,     -   Carl 

• Like 2

Hi all,

Just arrived back from a 6 day combined Buick Club trip to the country music capital of Australia, Tamworth a 450 mile round trip (for me) where we also were a feature display at a local automobile show, please enjoy

Cheers

Paul

DSC06032.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Drove my 1941 Buick Series A Special Coupe 322 miles (518km) to a car event in the country here in South Australia. The car ran like a dream. Nothing like getting out on the open road. Since getting the car on the road, I've covered 2,700 miles (4345km) in 7 months. Many more miles to come!

Cars on Coast Jan 13 2019 (2).jpg

Buick April 13 2019 #2.jpg

Buick Wallaroo May 2019.jpg

Edited by Grant Z (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, C Carl said:

Hey Ben, I heard on the radio way up here that potentially dangerous heavy weather is headed your way. Just checked the MyRadar Pro app on my iPad, and see it is West and North of you so far. Sure hope the worst of this hits in unpopulated areas there. 

Man ! Sorry to remind you of "very forgettable BBQ". Didn't think the Lone Star State would tolerate that ! Pleased to have enjoyed the Fredericksburg /Luckenbach area several times. From there I ran up to Cooper's in Llano at the recommendation of the pickers I was hanging with. Toted a substantial load of "to go" back to Luckenbach, and doubled-up on the previous friends I had made. Where is the best BBQ in the Wichita Falls area ?      

Back when I could still concentrate well enough to drive fast, I loved the high speed limits and light patrol in West Texas. Many, if not most of us, know the thrill of heeding the call of the open road.  Terrified to drive at night------------------ Yo !!!!!!!!! A phone call came in, and after a call to duty, hours have passed. Therefore I checked the 'Pro again (9:00 PDT), and see that things could be tense 'round your parts now and later. For all I know, you could be without power, hunkered down in the twister cellar. Let us know you are OK when things clear outta there.------------------------ Anyway I was going to comment about the "slaughterhouse" 290 is around and West of Dripping Springs at night with the deer density there. Seriously, I slow down to 25 on the blood red highway there. In and out of Luckenbach at night,10-15 is advised. I am hoping to drive Texas again late Winter, early Spring of 2024. According to predictions, there will be a total solar eclipse happening there early April, and I would like to see it if I am still able. But I don't need to hit another deer. I have only ever hit one, scarcely 15 miles from home on the way back from a trip to California. Oh, bla, bla, bla.    Stay safe Ben,     -   Carl 

Thanks for asking, Carl!  Storms missed us . Lot of rain.

Ben

• Like 2

Glad you are OK. That system looked (still looks), pretty mean on the screen. I hope it had mercy on people who are getting the worst of it. Must be particularly hard when tornadoes /hurricanes hit at night.   -   Carl 

Thanks to JD, I learned something.  Detroit Electrics were built until 1939 and modern ones are being built under that name, according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Electric

I picked up the Skyhawk this morning from the mechanic and went to the office, then home (maybe 6 miles).  The new tires are on it and the speedo is pretty accurate comparing to the Garmin GPS.  The rear end oild and valve cover gaskets were changed and a door lock repaired, so things are looking pretty good for the drive south.  Now, it’s time to get out and enjoy some shakedown miles.

A little less joy with the 1959 as the battery was weak, so it wouldn’t start this morning.  I was so looking forward to driving both cars today with sport coat and dress shirt.  I put the charger on it and should have it to the mechanic for a few odds and ends tomorrow.  I hope I beat the predicted rain as there are weatherstripping issues and I still have bare floor in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

I still have bare floor in it.

I hope you can get something on those floors before driving it to OKC!  Those floors will get hot and you'll be cooked inside if you try to drive there with bare floors. 

Well, haven't had time to get the pictures off of my camera, but I have about 700 miles on the new engine in the Electra. It's starting to run much cooler now, since it passed around the 500 mile mark.

We did a vintage car tour on Sat., and that put about 120 miles on it, then another bunch on Sun., as we had to go to my daughter's to do some yard work for them. Then the rest of the family showed up, so we had a weeding party!

Keith

• Like 4

16 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I hope you can get something on those floors before driving it to OKC!  Those floors will get hot and you'll be cooked inside if you try to drive there with bare floors. 

We are driving the Skyhawk down, not the 1959 LeSabre.  I guess I’m typing about too many cars....

I drove the 1959 to the mechanic this morning for some odds and ends.  It’s only money....

Here's a few pictures from the weekend. We visited this gent's place, who is something of a car guy, but also is quite a sculptor, in wood and metal. He had perhaps 25 scattered about his property, and most of them built within the last 2-3 years. I've posted a shot of a mermaid which was in front of his shop, with a few of the cars, with my Electra there as well. A sharp looking 48(?) Pontiac coupe parked a couple of cars behind mine, and a nice Crysler Newport in front. The samll car behind mine is a later model Jag.

Keith

Lineup.jpg

Merm.jpg

Pont.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 5/22/2019 at 7:39 PM, Buicknutty said:

That was of course, since its' Canada, not a "Weed" party, but "Weeding" party, like thistles and danelions!

Keith

Well, since last October, it could be a weed party in Canada....

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, Thriller said:

I drove the 1959 to the mechanic this morning for some odds and ends.  It’s only money....

You can say that again.  I had the engine for the '15 truck completely rebuilt last winter.  Went on a tour last Friday at the Gilmore Museum. Put about 85 miles on the truck and it worked great.  Saturday took the truck up to my daughters house and put on about another 30 miles.  Worked great.  About 125 miles on this new engine.

Sunday AM we were taking the truck to church and unknown to me while driving an oil line came loose and dumped 4 quarts of oil on the ground. You know what happened next.  I could not turn the engine off quick enough.  Engine apart again and new bearings poured and machined.  Over $400.00 later for rod work, I am now trying to get the engine back together this weekend.

"It's only money....."

Larry;  I am so sorry to learn of your engine problem.  Looking for a silver lining, the problem serves to remind me to "get out and get under" and put a wrench on various fasteners to seek out issues which can be repaired at home instead of on tour.  A few years ago a different friend of ours had a brass headlamp come loose, fall on the road and he ran over it.  Ouch.  That occurrence was my first reminder to crawl underneath and check antique, truck and trailer.

All the best in Oklahoma,  Gary and Bev

Drove Almendrón to a local car show held at Tamiami Executive Airport in South Miami- Dade County, FL. Summer Temperatures over 80 degrees.They also had  a mini vintage airplane show. Only three Buicks at the venue, my Roadmaster and two Grand Nationals. I posted some show pics under Gallery 

DB815140-A6F3-4878-A5DF-37E5F16D7E5F.jpeg

026597B3-AC57-4812-8576-29E5DABD8B5E.png

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Larry;  I am so sorry to learn of your engine problem.  Looking for a silver lining, the problem serves to remind me to "get out and get under" and put a wrench on various fasteners to seek out issues which can be repaired at home instead of on tour.  A few years ago a different friend of ours had a brass headlamp come loose, fall on the road and he ran over it.  Ouch.  That occurrence was my first reminder to crawl underneath and check antique, truck and trailer.

All the best in Oklahoma,  Gary and Bev

This was a part that tight.  It was the pressure side of the oil line that goes to the oil sight gauge.  The nut was tight because it was a connection that was needed to be removed for the engine work.  What happened was the packing wore loose and allowed the line to back out of the connection.  I will try to put up some pictures up when I get a chance.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

More pictures of the car show. I put about 25 miles in the car. Took second place due to a nice 57 Chevy Belaire even thought it was a resto mode. Sometime even participant judges do not appreciate a restored to original car.

08D83C4F-180F-456E-A5E2-D44922611995.jpeg

226714C9-B265-43E5-9DF0-357FB39AC82B.jpeg

1E6C3CD9-250C-431B-8A39-4874813EF3FB.jpeg

• Like 6

Took the Wagon 236 miles yesterday.  Went to a U Pull It yard in Binghamton, NY. Young son was after a set of chrome rims for his 2000 Regal. Being a U Pull It place they said the car was there,  but they dont inventory parts,  so did not know if the wheels still were.  So we took the chance and used the wagon in case he could get all 4 rims. 

The rims were there but we soon found they had wheel locks and the key was missing. So came home empty handed. Today I took the Regal GS 262 miles for a family picnic.  Two great Buick drives! Not one picture!

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great weather (it was HOT) and great cars at the 30th Annual Piedmont Classic Chevy Club Car Show at Lake Wheeler Park in Garner, NC. 

They give show participants a plaque with a picture of your car and the current year dash plaque affixed. 

20190525_183359.thumb.jpg.8f3b7becb38575e63d2b8ae32d07f337.jpg

20190525_104041.thumb.jpg.12d8db18bd207dd577d1e52a49e5bc70.jpg

20190525_141924.thumb.jpg.99b7ca4bf66e8fea131856fbb690fd5a.jpg

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Elpad said:

More pictures of the car show. I put about 25 miles in the car. Took second place due to a nice 57 Chevy Belaire even thought it was a resto mode. Sometime even participant judges do not appreciate a restored to original car.

Working A/C?

9 hours ago, old-tank said:

Working A/C?

Willie. Need to fabricate the return bellow type ducts from the evaporator outlet to the bottom of the package tray return grilles and need to connect electrical wires to the under-dash fan control switch. An in line drier (the one that goes underneath the passenger side frame) has to be replaced as well. I have the new part from an AC shop that they match from a GM motorcoach. Go figure! Remember 53 and 54 were commercial Frigidaire type “after-market” factory systems. Then I must charge the system, check for leaks and proper operation of other components. The compressor and the condenser were previously checked before installation. As you know this system operates with now illegal and expensive Freon 12. I would think if I convert to 134 I would loose originality as the cooper braided pressure hose. My dilemma at this point is why to expend money and effort on a car that I only use once in a blue 🌚 ! Willie I guess I could of answer you as simple as 

No, it’s not working. but thank you for reminding me of the task ahead. Simply, I forgot where I left of more than two years ago. I still think I can live w/o AC for few hours!

I put the top down on my convertible for the first time yesterday, even took a couple pictures of the lid going down. Promptly deleted them from my camera.

If I didn't have a little paintwork to do it would probably be down until September or October.

Since I lost the new pictures:

car31.jpg.362b024899a67db59c7e9c0a1117c87d.jpg

• Like 2

We had a busy weekend with the Buicks, as we hosted a tour for the McLaughlin Buick Club. It started with a BBQ dinner Fri evening for everyone at our place, then the next day (Sat) I led a tour to two museums. The first is called Dowler-Karn, they are a long time supplier of all kinds of fuels to many consumers in this area. The owners had been collecting all kinds of gas and oil realted items for 30 years or so, then decided to build a museum to house and display the collection. There is no charge for admittance, but they ask for a donation which goes to the local Shriner's group. They had about 6 trucks on display, mostly vintage, but there was also a race truck which is currently run in drag racing from time to time. Then a huge propane truck from the 50's, some other tankers and a great looking Supertest tanker. Supertest is long gone, but the graphics used to promote themselves were first rate, and  much in demand by collectors of late.

Then we drove the scenic route to a tourist town on the North Shore of Lake Erie, Port Dover, which has a long history as a commercial fishing port, as well as boat building. Many artifacts have been brought together and are displayed, and run by the local county government. I took only a few pictures here, but they have the wheelhouse (bridge) from a large lake boat (ship, really, but they often call them boats on the Great Lakes) which was saved when it was scrapped years ago.

On Sat, I drove the '41, and it worked out to be about 160 miles, and my daughter drove the Reatta. It was nice that there was another white one, a coupe there. Then Sun., I took everyone for a nice brunch in a restored 19th century building, this time leading with the Electra.

Keith

Propane.jpg

RaceTruck.jpg

Supertest.jpg

WhiteCloseup.jpg

WhiteCOE.jpg

WheelHouseIn.jpg

WheelhouseOut.jpg

ThreeBuicks.jpg

TwoReattas.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Went to the Can-Am Nationals Saturday.

Started out like this parking in the middle of the show.

IMG_4874.thumb.JPG.ecf838a7c92fef6823459e6a4b99683d.JPG 

It's a fund raiser that's well attended, had a good band with lots to see. It had to be moved to a car dealership as the grounds where it usually is held on the Detroit River has risen so much the grass would have been ruined!

IMG_4891.thumb.JPG.00df490749a4c0c774aa0cd414b27299.JPG

Just like most of the country this year we kept our eyes on the skies with dark clouds looming off in the south west.

Sadly just about noon it started to rain and basically the show ended.

I had to put the top up before she got washed inside!

Turned the heat on during the drive home to dry things a bit before parking in the garage.

No harm, no foul and it didn't melt!

IMG_4893.thumb.JPG.7fb336a8df36f6cf848742b5ca3079d6.JPG

• Like 7

Took my '73 GS 455 to Lebanon Valley Dragway for a NE Buick race. Only did 3 runs. So I drove it 3/4 of a mile.

It went very well. Car got its fastest ET and 60 ft. 12.475 ET and a 7.57 6o Ft. I lost in 1st round because I knew it was a good run and did not want to let off, so I broke out on a dial of 12.56 that ended up being the 12.475 run!

Not bad with factory Buick intake, Carburetor, and exhaust manifolds. 😉

IMG_7578.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Conscious of the devastation in the Midwest,  and hoping that the weather changes before anyone else is hurt, I did spend some time behind the wheel of the '56  yesterday and today.  Roughly 60 miles, with only one place in particular to go,  and I found another back road I never traveled before

IMG_2237.thumb.JPG.23dd6eb45836d9bdcb8905c05be33de3.JPG

And on the way I crossed this stream

519322305_IMG_22331.thumb.jpg.bde410f74a4d9efe6a5c92ea47cb08c9.jpg

And passed this coral

IMG_2235.thumb.JPG.3b6bd624b09cc6ecd5683bae3e51a3c6.JPG

But missed another photogenic sunset. 

And today I paid my respects to the fallen military during the town's small memorial day service!

65543080_IMG_2239(1).thumb.JPG.8cdd8f7696497dbd84b8da3ca785e8dc.JPG

IMG_2254.thumb.JPG.5de19986a438e943175c2a01f9804fd1.JPG

IMG_2262.thumb.JPG.ce5442d574ae787d74318a36c26dc8f8.JPG

IMG_2249.thumb.JPG.617c2eded1fecc51cedc4d5d20d2a7fc.JPG

For all those who have served, and currently serve, I offer my deepest gratitude!  Thank you! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2