JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

On 12/19/2017 at 2:55 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

We took a long drive amongst the ranches of this beautiful Texas Hill Country.  The car is parked at one of the low water crossing on the upper Guadalupe river. We ended up downriver a ways and had a steak for dinner. While we were sitting on the patio, the sun went down on the same river.

IMG_1276.thumb.jpg.5828092d74928a2eb148e2bd35ac2228.jpgIMG_1285.thumb.jpg.24b0ab94e931ad01e001016948009b8b.jpg

Love Texas Hill country, went to school in Kerville

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elpad said:

There is a wonderful private collection there, containing several magnificent restored Marmons -  which we have visited a few times.

I'd like to say that about the 11 degrees here today but... too much road salt laying there!!!

• Like 3

Just to kinda copy Doug, here in Toronto most of the roads are white with salt. We had a lot of rain the other day, and I thought that maybe I'd take the '41 out for a spin, but it has got very cold again and the salters have been out in full force!

Though in a few days I'll have to run the gaunlet in few days, as I have to pick up the Reatta I bought before Christmas this week.

Keith

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buicknutty said:

Though in a few days I'll have to run the gaunlet in few days, as I have to pick up the Reatta I bought before Christmas this week

Congrats on the Reatta Keith! Convert I hope?

You and Glenda will look great cruising around TO with the top down. :)

Trust this doesn't mean her other convert is on the back burner?

Drove the '39 to our BCA chapter meeting yesterday in Arlington, about 60 miles round trip.  The temp was in the 30's and sunny, so nice driving weather.  Had a nice group in attendance and discussed the Denver National Meet and there were a number of folks planning to go.

Edited by jvelde (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My nearly daily drive was interrupted because the highway department was spraying bridges and intersections with brine in anticipation of the ice storms coming next week. :(

I wish you ol' nawthr'n boys would quit sending that nasty stuff down here!:angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have had a bit of rain to wash away the remains of the recent road salt treatments from our recent unusual winter storm, so on Saturday I drove the 1937 Century to lunch. We also took it to the gas station for a tank of Non-Ethanol fuel and took about a 10 mile or so drive around town just because I had not had a chance to drive it in a few weeks.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2017 at 2:55 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

We took a long drive amongst the ranches of this beautiful Texas Hill Country.  The car is parked at one of the low water crossing on the upper Guadalupe river. We ended up downriver a ways and had a steak for dinner. While we were sitting on the patio, the sun went down on the same river.

IMG_1276.thumb.jpg.5828092d74928a2eb148e2bd35ac2228.jpgIMG_1285.thumb.jpg.24b0ab94e931ad01e001016948009b8b.jpg

Almendrón was extensively exercised this week on Thursday and Saturday when it took part in a movie shoot to be release in 2019. Thursday he ran in a country highway setting and on Saturday it participated in a street scene with various classics in Miami Beach. You can note the license plate prop depicting the period setting for the movie ? 

83C79135-88C9-4C01-BAE7-EDF62B9804F1.jpeg

0C4CD7DE-B22B-4516-80FD-114787001494.jpeg

• Like 11

The second photo brought back memories of when I stayed at the Deauville in 1965 with my parents. I'm surprised it's still there.

6 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

The second photo brought back memories of when I stayed at the Deauville in 1965 with my parents. I'm surprised it's still there.

The Hotel was running until Summer of 2017 when they suffered some AC electrical fire and it was evacuated. Still closed until today for renovations but the curb appeal was refurbished for the movie

I always wondered why the East side still use corrosive salt. Over here we have formulated de-icer that they spray all over the place. Granted it doesn't snow as hard over here but it seems to do a pretty decent job in the worst conditions and it keeps the pass clear for the most part. 

The story I've been given is that its' cheap and effective. The gov't doesn't care about the damage that is inflicted on machinery of all kinds. Further west, they use a mixture of salt and sand as it gets too cold for sodium chloride to work well. The more modern cars certainly stand up to the poor weather much better, and I get my daily drivers oil sprayed every fall as well.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Finally, after many weeks, I was able to drive the Reatta to the new place on Wed. I drove it about 80 miles or so, and it ran well the whole way. The car came with all of the factory owners material, which is nice to have.

Got the license registration changed over today and new plates. Of course I cannot really drive it for a couple of months, so in the meantime I'll do some basic maint on the car. The radio speakers are a bit flaky, as is the radio itself. It has a cassette player, not a CD, but I don't know if the tape deck works or not. 

The bad news happened when I went in the house to discover a water had opened up and was spurting like a fountain up into the attic area above the kitchen living room. The water supply is very good at the this place, and it was pumping away to beat the band for many hours. I quickly turned off the water pump. The water had of course gone through the floor and taken down a lot of ceiling tiles. The basement is fully finished. The only good news, is that all of our stuff had not been moved in yet, so not too much of our stuff was damaged.

I called the insurance company and they sent a crew to assist with the cleanup. Then yesterday they started ripping up the flooring. The source was also identified. It seems a previous renovator had left a live water line sticking up into an unheated part of the attic, and the extreme cold weather had eventually broke the cap off of the pipe.

Keith

ReattaGarage1.jpg

ReattaHouse2.jpg

Reatta Book2Sml.jpg

• Like 6

Love the car Keith! :)

Too bad about pipe in the house...:blink:

Looks like a great lot, garage with room to grow.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:36 PM, Buicknutty said:

Yes!

ReattaSide3Sml.jpg

ReattaInt2Sml.jpg

Reatta1Int.jpg

My 15 year old daughter has asked me for Reatta as her first car, have to keep an eye out at the Denver meet.Paul

• Like 2

I am toying with the idea of driving it to the Denver meet. Its' not the best timing for us, as my son will be having exams that week for his last year of high school, and we don't want him to screw up, but it won't take the two of us to get him to class on time. Also, he usually likes to come to the BCA shows as well, but of course I'd have to take one of the bigger cars.

I am not so fussy about driving such long distances solo any more, but I've started thinking that perhaps I could drive the Reatta down for the show.

The other real issue, is that our final move to the new place is the end of the first week of July, so I don't know if I should take the week or so to go to Denver.

Keith

I've notice there is another Buick event in Oklahoma City the week before the Nationals....wonder if my wife will notice me being away another week???

17 minutes ago, Paul White said:

I've notice there is another Buick event in Oklahoma City the week before the Nationals....wonder if my wife will notice me being away another week???

Start spending more and more time in the garage until you're out there 24/7.  Pretty soon she'll be so used to not seeing you, she won't notice that you've slipped away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2018 at 5:49 PM, Buicknutty said:

I am toying with the idea of driving it to the Denver meet. Its' not the best timing for us, as my son will be having exams that week for his last year of high school, and we don't want him to screw up, but it won't take the two of us to get him to class on time. Also, he usually likes to come to the BCA shows as well, but of course I'd have to take one of the bigger cars.

I am not so fussy about driving such long distances solo any more, but I've started thinking that perhaps I could drive the Reatta down for the show.

The other real issue, is that our final move to the new place is the end of the first week of July, so I don't know if I should take the week or so to go to Denver.

Keith

Go for it! In the '41.

Ben

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

Start spending more and more time in the garage until you're out there 24/7.  Pretty soon she'll be so used to not seeing you, she won't notice that you've slipped away.

Sounds like a plan but she has more tools than I have as well as a Toyota GT86 that takes up what could be more Buick space...no man cave at my place!!!

• Haha 1