Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

This evening my son and I took the '41 Roadmaster out for about a 25 mile drive. A bit chilly, around 35 F, but otherwise clear and sunny, and the heater and defroster keep us warm.

Just a nice drive around our countryside, no destination. No pictures enroute, but here's a couple taken right after I parked in the garage.

Keith

41BuickGar1.jpg

41BuickGar2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

B F Goodrich Silvertown (coker) Bias ply.  The ones on it had almost no wear but were in the least 12-15 years old and as stiff as driving concrete blocks. Those were also bias ply and would follow even the smallest of ridge in the road so I had my doubts of going back with bias ply. But after talking with people I was told any bias ply that is as old as mine would track the same way being so stiff. Newer bias ply would be more pliable and not act the same. They were right. The road to my house (45 mph) has 2 extremely pronounced ridges and valleys from a crappy top coating done 3 years ago. With the old tires once you got in it, it was like being on train tracks. I noticed right away with the new ones that the old girl didn't get pulled in instantly and it was very easy getting out of it. (Normally drive in middle of road unless a car coming to avoid it) Also I don't feel every pebble in the road.  But one odd thing did occur when getting the rear tires on.  Going with factory spec tires, the rears had to be deflated to give clearance to fit in the wheel well and then inflated once mounted. Could not squeeze them between the brake drum and the upper well lip. We were about ready to remove the shocks and hopefully drop the rear some to see if we could get more room. Seems the new ones are a little wider then the old when inflated to 32 pounds.

Very nice 55 degree day here in central PA. I did 110 mile round trip to our Mason-Dixon Chapter meeting at Mechanicsburg. "Lucy" had not been out since November.

DSCF7405.thumb.jpg.1e01ebb68768f6ea5c775242b82a6919.jpg

New member Chris with his GS.                                                                       Senior member Dick with my 1937 Lucy.

• Like 3

Nice Sunday drive out and back to my Car Club Museum and Heritage Village.

IMG_4614.thumb.JPG.35576901a9185b21f999e6d5f51f0fcd.JPG

Grounds were a little wet so will have to clean up the tires but it was worth the trip!

Membership has it's privileges so drove inside the Village for some shots.

This is one of the last few two storey log cabins moved here and slowly being restored for public viewing. It is a big hit with the kids that come through for the Education Program.

IMG_4594.thumb.JPG.5787e083694ee1571919ccd2fd1c6e1f.JPG

Went on further to stop at the 1800's General Store and found a group of camera bugs taking pictures.

IMG_4598.thumb.JPG.c70cc0b4e84ead2a15ed5c28903949fc.JPG

To my surprise one of the ladies was from my neighbourhood whose boys went to school with mine. Naturally they just had to take pictures of the Special and said they would forward me some of their work. Looking to see what a more professional camera might do versus my Canon point and shoot...

IMG_4599.thumb.JPG.933ec3a5515ae126af42ae9ab9393c8b.JPG

Just as I pulled into my driveway doesn't two friends pull in behind me in Joe's '55 Cadillac!

IMG_4615.thumb.JPG.297a88d963f8e3c93486621e43fc43ee.JPG

It was a NICE Sunday for a ride! 😎

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Nice Doug.  I spent the weekend in Niagara Falls for training, stopped for supper in Burlington with cousins and my brother from Guelph joined us.  By the time I left for the airport it was nearly dark as I was supposed to fly out of Pearson at 22:15...delayed half an hour or so.

Closest thing I saw to any old cars was the Studebaker truck used as a billboard for an Italian eatery on Stanley in Niagara Falls.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2019 at 5:15 PM, Thriller said:

Nice Doug.  I spent the weekend in Niagara Falls for training, stopped for supper in Burlington with cousins and my brother from Guelph joined us.  By the time I left for the airport it was nearly dark as I was supposed to fly out of Pearson at 22:15...delayed half an hour or so.

Closest thing I saw to any old cars was the Studebaker truck used as a billboard for an Italian eatery on Stanley in Niagara Falls.

Like Keith I would have been pleased if you had time to stretch your visit to come another hour and a half more down my way! I'm sure between the two of us you could have spent an extra two days (or more) seeing and talking cars though! 😁

4 hours ago, dei said:

Like Keith I would have been pleased if you had time to stretch your visit to come another hour and a half more down my way! I'm sure between the two of us you could have spent an extra two days (or more) seeing and talking cars though! 😁

Thanks guys...next time.  My flight was delayed coming in Friday, so landed at YYZ just after 9, then got the rental and drove to NF.  Tied up all day Saturday, then wrapped up shortly after 4 Sunday and supper in Burlington was supposed to be ready for 5:30.  It’s always interesting striking a balance on business travel in terms of a bit of play time.  She Who Must Be Obeyed would like to get there someday in warmer temperatures, so we may very well be back that way in the future...winery visits would be pretty high on the list.  I did notice how many signs there were versus how relatively few of those wineries products are available in Manitoba liquor stores.

6 hours ago, dei said:

Derek, I understand the tight schedule that these work trips often involve, but if time were to permit sometime, Doug could come to my place, and you came in from the other way, we'd meet up in the middle, and at least see you'd see a few old cars!

Keith

• Like 1

@dei @Buicknutty @Thriller  While you guys are planning a gathering around Niagara Falls I went for a dustoff drive in the GS today.  Just the 40 mile loop.  Only put 600 miles on this car last year while trying to get to 2500 in the '56.  Can't let that happen again this year!  I would be interested in meeting all ya-all,  ifn you are going to get together in NF. 

0327191432.thumb.jpg.b13da76f7bc5889e243178f3f5dad1ec.jpg

0327191436.thumb.jpg.68ea5e71b77473aa760e2e959828c881.jpg

• Like 6

It was such a nice day here in Southern Ontario, and I was planning to take the '41 out for a cruise, and then I got a call from the gent who has had my Strombergs for a rebuild telling me that they are ready. So I jumped in the '41 and drove out to get them. A 60 mile round trip, I took a couple of pictures, but something went wonky, and there're not good. So no pictures this time. You guys will have to trust me!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2019 at 6:05 PM, Buicknutty said:

That would be neat for a few of us to meet up for lunch, or something similar.

I would be interested in this trip, if the schedule works out...  ;)

• Like 2

Finally!!!  My first post-winter Buick drive!  During under-dash work a couple'3 of months ago the '37 had an electrical melt down. The 12v wire feeding the dash got caught in the cowl vent mechanism and shorted. Luckily I was  able pull the glowing wire out with only minor burns to my hand. Now the dash is fully rewired and fused. The directionals work once  more. The heater works.  And the car runs!  Now I'm off to the bank and some other shopping in my still filthy '37 Buick. Washing is secondary to driving.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

No pictures but the '60 Electra made a 120 mile round trip to Buffalo for the monthly Western New York Cadillac Club lunch meeting. What a beautiful day. Eyeballing the fuel gauge, I figure I used about 10 gallons of gas. I love pushing that stuff through the system.

Bernie

• Like 1

Was looking for any reason to take out the 49 and was "granted" the reason when the 39 year old heater core decided to puke out and fill the passenger side of my 80 Z-28 yesterday morning.  So off to get the replacement !  A race against the rain but 70 degree's made for a nice 25 mile run out and back.

• Like 4

We had the '41 out for about a 25 mile drive this morning. Since it was so nice, I was able to wear the Buick jacket that my wife bought me for Christmas. Here's a shot me and the car just as I was getting out of it, plus one of the current mileage.

Keith

Buick41_me.jpg

MileageApr7.jpg

• Like 10

Well the temp went up to 60 today so I took the '15 truck out for it's maiden voyage after the engine rebuild last winter. 

Great to have it back on the road.   Now to work on the shakedown to dialing in the engine for the little things after having the engine in and out like readjusting the valves, etc..

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 8

37 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Thanks.  We hope to drive it a lot this summer. If you are in the area, call and I will give you a ride.

Thanks for the offer. The closest we will be this year is Gettysburg for the Riviera Owners Assn. Meet in June.

Finally was able to get the Queen out for a ride!  It is a great day when one can just take a car out of storage and go 30 miles without any hiccups!

Town Park by the Mohawk River!

1768715192_IMG_20421(1).thumb.JPG.a49353cfe0a61d5000e65537f22d3f52.JPG

That is the abandoned Adirondack Power generating station in the background.  Great architecture, but in terrible condition!

537761377_IMG_2044(1).thumb.JPG.9a24067780b16ec2ad291cb5bb541a3d.JPG

No leaves on the trees yet, but some green in the hills!  

75183888_IMG_2046(1).thumb.JPG.aed3237e6c179542a9e87d6e9b33bd1b.JPG

This car is truly awesome!  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

After a year and a half "Beulah" has been liberated from the garage. Since having the engine re built and installed last September I had to re do the water pump. New stainless shaft, bearings and seals.  Plus doing a few other chores that had to wait for better weather. I did about 4 laps around the neighborhood. I still have to work out a few more bugs and get the front fenders back on.

DSCF7439.thumb.JPG.f674b0d661f54402a143935bc9f5c020.JPG

DSCF7440.thumb.JPG.3449786b189720b80a21a7f15b2eb2ee.JPG

• Like 9