JohnD1956

Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

I drove George to Arlington, TX  Saturday. Chapter meeting.  Good food! Good time. Car performed well. Total drive was 281 miles. I had topped up the tank as I left town. At 250 miles, at a pit stop, topped him up again. Only held 13 gal!  That, friends, is 19 mpg!  Did not baby it. 65 and 70 most of the time. Miles and miles of metro driving. Makes me happy.

This was the longest trip I have been on with the 263. Continues to please me with the performance. I can't say if this good or not, but felt good.  62 mph to 80 mph in just under 5 sec. I do not have to hesitate passing .

Ben

• Like 7

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, dei said:

Since the weather was unusually warm and dry today (50 degrees) brought her out for a couple of hours around town ending up at my friends.

IMG_2421.thumb.JPG.81b4fc84b13a0c171690871551fcbc01.JPG

OK Doug you need to quit driving that car so much. You are making a lot of us look BAD!  Said with sincere envy :(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

OK Doug you need to quit driving that car so much. You are making a lot of us look BAD!  Said with sincere envy :(

:D Believe me when I say I'm not trying make anyone here look bad. 

It's just that with having been off the road for the past 12 years (yes not a typo) I had fun making up for lost time.

And by no way an excuse but funny how "Life just gets in the way sometimes".

I did keep track of things this year though and did put 1,070 miles on her. 

Will be doing a few minor things over the winter so next year should be smooth sailing. :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

Yes Doug , your making me very jealous , Ruby tucked up for winter in Cyprus and even if the weather Ok some days , I’m back in Uk ☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Yes Doug , your making me very jealous , Ruby tucked up for winter in Cyprus and even if the weather Ok some days , I’m back in Uk ☹️

Pilgrim, that's why you get two - one for the UK and one for Cyprus! :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Happy Holidays from the Pacific Northwest!  Drove both my 49 Super and my 39 Roadmaster this weekend.  No rain or snow.  Just cool weather.  Heaters help.  Still working on the Trippe lights. 

IMG_20171217_163540909.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,

I have just arrived back from a cruise around New Zealand. A highlight for me was visiting the Art Deco town of Napier on the east coast of the North Island. I am quite the fan of Art Deco architecture and carry a camera everywhere I go for work and overseas just in case something pops up. The other highlight was meeting up with local Neville Smith, whose 1936 Buick has featured on the cover of Buick Bugle in the past. I have driven my own '36 many miles but have never sat in the back seat of one so here are a few highlights of a very special day. Enjoy!!!  Picture 1: the '36 and '38 down by the water front. 2. My wife and I outside one of the fabulous Art Deco buildings. 3. Neville's fabulous '36 Phaeton. 4. My wife eyeing off Neville's "shoe trailer". 5. Neville's "man cave" with his 90L in the foreground. 6. The '38 as seen out of the back of the phaeton. 7. An Auburn in the man cave, original, not a reproduction! 8. The mighty 320 in Neville's 90L. 9. Neville and his mate Kevin. 10. A bit of Art Deco style to finish off.  Cheers Paul 

DSC04555.JPG

DSC04560.JPG

DSC04565.JPG

DSC04584.JPG

DSC04592.JPG

DSC04576.JPG

DSC04586.JPG

DSC04585.JPG

DSC04603.JPG

DSC04486.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Out for a drive, and still dealing with carburetor problems - didn't have a chance to clean the '37, but at least had time for a few pics before nightfall with the fog closing in here in the New Orleans area.

1937 Buick 2018-12-17 Front.jpg

1937 Buick 2018-12-18 Left side.jpg

1937 Buick 2018-12-18 Rear.jpg

• Like 7

We took a long drive amongst the ranches of this beautiful Texas Hill Country.  The car is parked at one of the low water crossing on the upper Guadalupe river. We ended up downriver a ways and had a steak for dinner. While we were sitting on the patio, the sun went down on the same river.

IMG_1276.thumb.jpg.5828092d74928a2eb148e2bd35ac2228.jpgIMG_1285.thumb.jpg.24b0ab94e931ad01e001016948009b8b.jpg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

We took a long drive amongst the ranches of this beautiful Texas Hill Country.  The car is parked at one of the low water crossing on the upper Guadalupe river. We ended up downriver a ways and had a steak for dinner. While we were sitting on the patio, the sun went down on the same river.

IMG_1285.thumb.jpg.24b0ab94e931ad01e001016948009b8b.jpg

Magnificent setting, and awesome picture too!  Wish I could have been there to see it in person!

That drive along the Guadalupe River in Texas Hill Country is among the most scenic -

We've driven it several times in both directions, and it never ceases to amaze.

Thank you for the photos, and the memories

Like TX Hill Country, went to school at Kerville. Used to drive a 66 Opel Kadet station wagon back then but used to sneak into the Bolero Drive In in the trunk of a 64 Impala! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A visit to the exotic animals at the Y-O Ranch, and then driving our '37 Roadmaster (and another time with the '41 Caddy cabriolet), and then visiting Comfort, Medina's Apple Store for pie, and along the Medina River over the pass to Kerrville, spend some more time honoring Admiral Hyman Rickover at Fredericksburg's Museum of the Pacific War - shopping in Bandera - another drive along the South Fork of the Guadalupe River with the river on one side and the canyon walls on the other - you just want to drive back in the other direction for the sheer beauty of it.

By the way, the Texoma Region of VMCCA is doing a Spring Tour in that area April 5-7 

I haven't posted here for a while, as the only Buicks I've been driving is my '02 Rendezvous, and my wife's Envision (when she lets me), but last night I took the '41 Roadmaster to the gas station to fill it up, just the latest snowstorm hit Toronto. No salt on the roads yet, and the previous salt had been washed away. It still had only an eighth of a tank or so, from when I put the gas tank back in, and wanted to get it filled up before all the salt was dumped on the roads again.

She was quite a grumpy lady for a few minutes, and for the first mile or so, which was nearly to the gas station anyway. Ran nice on the way home though. Now she has a full tank! No extra driving, just the 2-3 miles to and from.

No pictures, but I kind of wish I'd taken one under the gas station lights with the snow covering the hood to show you folks.

Keith

• Like 3

Can't say I drove anywhere (besides, too much salt) but fired the Special up to move her out of the garage during our last snow fall (which you probably got too Keith) to have room to work on a broken down snowblower.:(

IMG_2458.thumb.JPG.6b79f49b30a20a373f6e33df1d81e0ea.JPG

Left her running enough to heat everything up and ensure the battery was charged while I struggled with the snowblower.

Car.... just fine! Snowblower..... TOAST! 

Hmmmm, wonder if I should adapt a Buick V8 on my snowblower for some dependability?? :rolleyes: 

IMG_2466.thumb.JPG.394125b68557e53ca48a52be5b5f51fb.JPG

• Like 1

Would be just as interesting as the Nailhead margarita mixer on YouTube, or the Buick powered chainsaw. 

• Haha 1

We got snow a few days ago, so I drove my daughter's 2009 Enclave.  I figure that counts, as it was my "old Buick", since I bought it in 2012, then I bought a Chrysler 300S and gave it to my wife in 2016, and we just got her a 2017 Enclave and we gave the 09 to my daughter two months ago.  :>)

• Like 2

CJP, I just checked your profile (sorry)  and saw you're from Kent, as well. Small world! You must be on the lower end because I was tearing up the upper end from Benson to Petrovitsky during the initial snow fall in my 56 Buick. It was kind of nice, I was shielded by two car lengths on each side! :P

I started the GS and the Electra to warm them up and recharge the batteries. Sure do miss the nice weather! 

• Like 2

35* and cloudy here, but dry, so took the '39 out for some errands.  Put about 18 miles on it and had it up to 50 mph a couple of times.  First time I have run the heater since probably March (after turning the shut-off valve back on).  Always nice to get out in this temperature and not have to worry about any possibility of overheating - ran at about 170-175* the entire trip.  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Sure do miss the nice weather! 

Ya John, we really were spoiled this Fall !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2017 at 12:45 PM, Beemon said:

CJP, I just checked your profile (sorry)  and saw you're from Kent, as well. Small world! You must be on the lower end because I was tearing up the upper end from Benson to Petrovitsky during the initial snow fall in my 56 Buick. It was kind of nice, I was shielded by two car lengths on each side! :P

lol, sounds like fun!  

I am on the west side of Lake Youngs, off of 148th by 212th.  

• Like 1

Crazy, I live right off the Benson S- curve just after the bridge if you're coming from 212th. 

• Like 1