Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Took the GS to last nights Hemmings Cruise In.  I decided to drive around the reservoir this time and was about half way into the trip when there was a road block due to the closure of the road.  It put me on a road less traveled, but so worthy of the ride.  Considering it was the detour I could not stop for pictures but I plan to run that route again, Meanwhile here are a few from the ride over. 

870416023_Hemmingscruiseinmtns0002.JPG.7f70001787e289f0382efb14d90f2665.JPG372735945_Hemmingscruiseinmtns0004.JPG.4bfc7ac4ef97b5211e4fb50ddc69aaee.JPG1273489899_Hemmingscruiseinmtns0006.JPG.d3a55195a7d6071bb74e91426d338980.JPG1697275547_Hemmingscruiseinmtns0007.JPG.3ae9695537b182704ff3b4abfc9d53ea.JPG

• Like 4

Technically it wasn't quite the weekend, but I took Goldie over to my father's house yesterday (about 30 miles round-trip).  I hadn't had her out for about 3 weeks because of other activities getting in the way...  It felt good to be behind the wheel again!  ;)

• Like 4

Last weekend, I drove my newest 1938 Buick Century project car onto a car hauler trailer in Pennsylvania. On the way home, my friend's 2012 Dodge 3500 truck had some mechanical problems in Virginia. I left the truck, trailer, and 1938 Buick at a repair shop and caught a ride home with some local AACA friends who were returning home from the AACA Grand National in Pennsylvania. 

Today, I went back to Virginia and retrieved the repaired truck. I brought the 1938 Buick home without any further problems. I backed it off of the trailer and drove it into the back yard for temporarily storage until I can play some musical chairs with a few cars.

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

• Like 5

66 degrees and sunny. Perfect convertible day for thick blooded Yankees.

I took this picture in honor of John Utz. We were in his basement office sorting through his old Flying Lady Magazine articles. He said "Grilles, grilles, grilles; everyone knows what the radiator looks like. Why can't they send me pictures of the rear."

009.JPG.ac0aebc54915c28dc8c6d494ccfe8dde.JPG

The falls is the Holley, New York spillway for the Erie Canal.

And the car goes back, top down, and ready for another "warm" day.

003.JPG.f4a5ef1dddb1345f3464a918962d9bd8.JPG

• Like 3

Went to the Long Island BCA show today. A few sprinkles in the early morning and then overcast and comfortable for the rest of the day. Took the '75 Electra and drove  for a total of 165 miles roundtrip. We left a little early to try and avoid the traffic getting off Long Island to get home. Didn't matter too much as there always seems to be traffic on a Sunday afternoon. We had a great time and caravaned with different friends coming and going. I just called Marty Jablonski who I wanted to thank for the great show and see how the car did. The Electra took another First in class! 

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

• Like 7

I started buying fairly new cars around 1972 and I can't remember cars looking that good on the lots. My Mom and Dad and ME, too, always wanted the black car with a red interior AND red pinstripe. Two black cars now (but no red insides) and I like polishing them the best, except for the peaks of the '64 Riviera front febders, never tire of that.

image.png.c6e705e524e2371347f9d28a3a8db68e.png

• Like 1

Our chapter's 10th annual cruise in was a pleasing success,  and the 56 was the poster child ( and T shirt captain) this year.

DSC00899.JPG.14e7c0a02d81bb44b82ce7f4935fb461.JPG

Of course, no good deed goes unpunished.  Friday I worked some fingerprints out of the trunk with some  Meguliar's  cleaner /polish. But then that patch made the rest of the trunk lid look bad.  So I wound up spreading out the polish and eventually did the whole lower body.  I keep forgetting how much paint surface there is.  Then Saturday before the event I did the roof.  I thought it was looking rather spiffy! 

Then, at the event the poster child car parks right up in front of the Pavillion at the park.  When I got back in the car to leave at first I thought it had rained, then realized the tree had dropped sap all over the damn thing.  Since the event was a PM cruise in I didn't get home till 10 PM and then I had to break out the wash bucket and clean her up again, before the sap had a chance to set up. But it looked pretty good again today, and drove so nice as well, so I think I'll keep it a while longer. :wub:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, philip roitman said:

Went to the Long Island BCA show today. A few sprinkles in the early morning and then overcast and comfortable for the rest of the day. Took the '75 Electra and drove  for a total of 165 miles roundtrip. We left a little early to try and avoid the traffic getting off Long Island to get home. Didn't matter too much as there always seems to be traffic on a Sunday afternoon. We had a great time and caravaned with different friends coming and going. I just called Marty Jablonski who I wanted to thank for the great show and see how the car did. The Electra took another First in class! 

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

Phillip I see what appears to be a black '58 in that line up.

Difficult to see but what model was is?

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 3:39 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Middletown MD car show.  First show for this little town.  It as fun! 

eYFnoMh.jpg

Not taking anything away from this beautiful looking 60, but that Pontiac ambulance sure looks cool a 64 i think?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MRJBUICK said:

Not taking anything away from this beautiful looking 60, but that Pontiac ambulance sure looks cool a 64 i think?

The Pontiac I believe is a 64-65.  The owner,  who is an EMT, purchased the car from a city in NJ where it was put into service.   He had all the medical devices (paddles, gurney, etc) for the time period.  Overall it was in great shape with all the original equipment, medical or otherwise.   Being a EMT he also had a retired fire truck and two police cars.   A lot of spectators got a kick out of the car.   Much talk of Adam 12 and Emergency  that featured these types of ambulances.   He also wore his EMT uniform to make the scene.   Super nice guy.      

Take a close look at the red emergency lights on the top.  They look like the taillights of a 59 Caddy!   Only bigger! 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I drove the Reatta the 100 miles today to the country house, for the last time. As the time has come to get the fleet out there, as we are just over 3 weeks away from our final move to the country house. I'm going a bit nuts trying to make sure all of our ducks lined up, and I still have a lot of packing to do!

Tomorrow is expected to be a fine Buick day. My wife is driving myself and a friend out to the storage unit that I've been using for the last 10+ years or so in her Envision, and there we are going to pick up the '56 Roadmaster, the '69 Electra then we will drive all three back to the city.

You might wonder about this, as the storage is in the countryside as well, but in a different part. Storage is about 60-65 miles East, and our new place is 100 miles West from our city house. My friend hasn't any issue driving my car through the fairly light traffic from storage to the city, but driving to the country house is often extremely busy, congested and hectic, and there is no easy route. So over the next couple of weeks I will ferry the '41 and '56 Roadmasters, and the Electra out to their new home from the city, and return with my wife in the Envision.

This will certainly fill up the nice new garage when they are all there!

I will try to get a few pictures of our little convoy.

Here's a shot of the Reatta taken at last night's cruise in.

Keith

ReattaTues.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Well, things didn't quite go as planned today, as my buddy had a load of tires to bring out. So, we piled into his old Suburban and drove out in that, and my wife and I drove the two Buicks home. Her in the Electra, and I drove the '56 Roadmaster. They both started up without problems, and drove fine all the way home. Driving the '56 felt rather like visiting an old friend one hasn't seen for a while.

Keith

Buick56&69B.jpg

• Like 8

It wasn't the weekend, but I finally took the Skylark out on the road yesterday for the first time since parking it in the garage last fall. It had been leaking oil pretty badly from the rocker covers and the intake seals, and I finally got around to replacing them. I still have the oil pan gasket to deal with, but things are vastly improved and the car will see a lot of road time this weekend.

• Like 1

I ran my '86 Park Ave convertible up for the annual New York State inspection this morning, top down in the sunshine. I was real happy to see I had put about 700 miles on it over the year. Not a lot, but much better than the year I had 45 miles between inspections. 55,485 on it now.

Bernie

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Drive it on up to Denver to the BCA National Meet next week.  

Ben

Man I wish. The car still isn't home in Carlsbad from Grants Pass, Oregon yet. Maybe 10 days or so. And believe me when I tell you it's KILLING me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I drove the '56 Roadmaster the 100 miles out to the new house, and parked it with its' Buick Brethren, my wife's '68 Wildcat, and my '02 Rendezvous, which is taking up a classic car spot due to it not having brakes, and a leaky trans line.

The '56 ran like a champ through the slow traffic and hotish (85-90 F). Didn't get very high up the temp gauge. If only the factory A/C was working!

Keith

56BuickatHouse1Sml.jpg

56BuickGarage.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Nope. Not Father's Day. With an invitation for breakfast in a small town 10 miles straight south on a smooth lightly traveled road, the V12, 6 liter, 48 valve, 438 HP, 4900 pound car with RWD and a 6 speed as smooth as a Dynaflow won out.

FathersDay.jpg.821574cca4ae4514afe08a2598a7ee2c.jpg

I was driven to it by forces beyond my control.

• Like 1

Took the Electra to a show in Norwalk Ct. by the North East Auto Museum. A lovely location right by a Mansion and next to a Childrens Museum. It was a hot nice day with a good turnout. Drove the car 44 miles total. It was a pleasure to have A/C for the ride home. Only shut it once for 5 minutes when stuck in some traffic just to be safe.

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

• Like 8