Have you driven your classic today?

Dave@Moon

Beautiful Labor Day Weekend here in New Orleans - just a bit on the warm side, but not really hot & humid --

For the first time since the Moline, Illinois AACA Grand National Meet, we finally had a chance to get the 1934 Buick out and take her for a nice drive. She was thirsty for a tank of Non-Ethanol,

But WOW !!!!

Does she ever run beautifully....

and the admiring looks she got from so many people...

one guy was telling his wife that that the "B" on the hubcap meant that it is a "Bentley", and I discretely told them that it was one of our favorite Buicks...

post-54863-143142171863_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171874_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171884_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171894_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171904_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171914_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171924_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171933_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171943_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171953_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171962_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142171972_thumb.jpg

I took the Vette out for a spin. I drove The Plymouth almost every day last week home for lunch. I just wanted to give the Vette a little exercise. I took my usual 8 mile loop drive and got behind someone doing 35 MPH half the way. Figures the day I drive the Vette that happens. When I drive the Plymouth it seems everyone is flying. I think I would have even caught up to them in the Plymouth. I give everybody space no matter what I'm driving. I know what it's like to look in the mirror and have the car behind you so close you can't see the front end and you can read the driver's lips in your mirror all while you're doing 55.

Guest Dodge1939D11

Drove my 1939 Dodge D11 to work today. Got some waves and smiles driving through the Capital City. Here is a shot of it at my office. My Boss' Mini Cooper is in the back ground, she tried to talk me into trading cars.

post-96120-143142176994_thumb.jpg

Drove my 1939 Dodge D11 to work today. Got some waves and smiles driving through the Capital City. Here is a shot of it at my office. My Boss' Mini Cooper is in the back ground, she tried to talk me into trading cars.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]212451[/ATTACH]

I think it's great that you were able to drive your old car to work! I like to do that also, whenever possible. Best wishes for continued Happy Motoring with that cool '39 Dodge!

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

My brother in law, who is an experienced set-designer for high school dramatics productions, created a "disguise" for our '70 Bug that was completely non-harmful to the car, for use in a fun little very informal "village" parade, on Monday, September 1, 2013, in the Short Beach section of Branford, CT. I think he did a pretty nice job! And the spectators seemed to like it too!

Also kind of makes you think back to the old VW "folklore" about Beetles being able to float...

post-34222-143142177124_thumb.jpg

I heard a comment from a family member who was at the staging location for the various floats, where, apparently the village "judging team" review and decide on "best of" awards for the various home-made floats. Apparently one of the judges remarked that this VW was the only float in the entire parade to display an American flag. Interesting, for whatever it's worth...

Mrs. Stock Steve was out and about with her '63 Karmann Ghia that morning also (she is at the wheel of the '70 in the above parade action shot--I was behind the camera), supporting the parade group effort by her family...

post-34222-143142177132_thumb.jpg

Not technically "driving" (at least not in this blurry indoor picture), but on the previous day I replaced the clutch in my gnarly but beloved '69 Bug (and I did take it on a local neighborhood test drive to check/verify clutch adjustment)...

post-34222-143142177142_thumb.jpg

Sure is nice to have that car driveable again! One the most fun cars to drive in our very humble fleet...

post-34222-143142177098_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142177114_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Guest Dodge1939D11

I have driven the 39 Dodge for the last three days to the office. Last night I tossed a reproduction gas rationing sticker on the car and this morning as I was pumping gas an elderly gentleman walked by and said "Only four gallons young man" and kept on walking to his Subaru and drove off. Love the smiles, waves and thumbs up that the car gets. Guess folks on the street enjoy the car as much as I do!

Here it is at the office this morning with the aforementioned sticker:

post-96120-143142178766_thumb.jpg

After trailering the 1930 Packard from New Orleans to Chattanooga, Tennessee this morning in preparation for the Glidden Tour, we unloaded and

Drove from our motel to the COKER CRUISE-IN

post-54863-143142181118_thumb.jpg

Corky Coker and all his Staff were on hand to serve as hosts. There were hundreds of vehicles of every type, as well as a good band.

The collection of cars, trucks, bikes, and anything else automotive is varied and excellent, and they even managed perfect weather. Running into friends, old and new was an added bonus.

We had a great time

After trailering the 1930 Packard from New Orleans to Chattanooga, Tennessee this morning in preparation for the Glidden Tour, we unloaded and

Drove from our motel to the COKER CRUISE-IN

[ATTACH=CONFIG]212877[/ATTACH]

Corky Coker and all his Staff were on hand to serve as hosts. There were hundreds of vehicles of every type, as well as a good band.

The collection of cars, trucks, bikes, and anything else automotive is varied and excellent, and they even managed perfect weather. Running into friends, old and new was an added bonus.

We had a great time

Say Marty, Was Uncle Bob hanging around? Dandy Dave!

Took the Chrysler out for a quick spin around the neighborhood. I think it still has last years gas in it. I haven't had a chance to drive it much. I'm usually running around in the plymouth or Vette so this bay always gets blocked by my work truck. It was a really warm night. I grabbed a few dusk Photos with the lights on before putting it back away.

post-43003-143142184584_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142184574_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142184577_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14314218458_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142184582_thumb.jpg

Put a new fuel pressure regulator in my Stanley and cleaned the carbon deposit out of the pilot light. Went for a test drive. Picked up a neighbor who was out for a walk, and took him for his first steam car ride. Need to tighten the oil pump packing, and maybe put in some more. That's tomorrow's job.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Sure! Ours is the only known surviving Argonne of 24 produced. For many years it was thought to be a Biddle because of the similarities in Otto Bieler’s designs. It first came to light when it was purchased from an estate in or near Red Bank, NJ; it then passed through several hands before reaching the collection of Cameron Peck. Its next owner was E.S. Hansen, who used it extensively and drove it in the first Anglo-American tour. William Harrah was its next owner, and it was his crew that carefully determined that the car was an Argonne. J. Parker Wickham purchased it and several other cars from Harrah's auctions, and we in turn purchased a number of Wickham's cars to start our museum.

The first 22 Argonnes built were powered by a 3,710cc 4-cylinder Buda engine, while the last two produced in 1920 carried the more powerful 5,579cc Rochester-Duesenberg engine. Ours is one of the last two. There's a video of it

, but you really need to come see it in person :)

No driving today. I have been down since August 4, 2013. Trans went out. I have started the ball rolling to effect the necessary repairs. I went from driving my antique car everyday to no driving. Lucky my brother let me drive the 1941 Buick Series 90 Limited Model 91 6P Touring the other day. I gave my friend TomS. (on the right) and his wife a ride in the 1941 Limited.

post-75225-143142185721_thumb.jpg

post-75225-143142185759_thumb.jpg

My daily driver is a 1978 VW bus. (35 years old)

Not a "classic" exactly... but certainly an antique by AACA standards. (older than 25 years).

The photo was taken by one of my kids friends. They send it to my daughter saying something about "hey, I saw your dad!" And you can see i dont mind driving it in the rain.

post-31494-1431421861_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peter Gariepy (see edit history)

Driving our 1930 Packard 733 Touring on the 2013 AACA Glidden Tour, based in Chattanooga, Tennessee, hosted by the Chickamauga Region, AACA.

Today, in addition to fantastic scenery and back roads, we were invited to visit the Brass Car collection of Lill & Harold Coker, two of the most delightful and generous folks I've had the pleasure to meet. Their collection is amazing, including several Thomas cars - those Flyers are incredible.

Late in the day I parked my Touring to visit another great collection of muscle cars, and found James Bartlett's beautiful Packard alongside.

post-54863-14314218662_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142186632_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Driving our 1930 Packard 733 Touring on the 2013 AACA Glidden Tour, based in Chattanooga, Tennessee, hosted by the Chickamauga Region, AACA.

We too were on that Glidden Tour in our 1934 Ford Fordor V8. How can a guy guy (person) find

a better car show than 233 Pre-WWII vehicles in action? We had about 6 cars that were 100 years old or older and another 6 brass cars, 2 Yellowstone White Tour Busses, plus about every other make, known or unknown up to 1942. (You don't ever see that at a show!)

We had hills, mountains, rivers, city streets and country roads. We rode a train, a river boat, an incline railroad, a shuttle tram and golf carts. We laughed, worried, danced and prayed. We had the only week of hot summer that Chatanooga got this year, without rain.

Did we drive our classic cars? You bet we did, I logged over 500 miles for the week, then treated myself to a new set of tires to be ready to do it again. Driving the cars on these tours is the best part of the hobby.

I can tell from the size of this thread, the Internet part of AACA is the driving part.

................... You bet we did, I logged over 500 miles for the week, then treated myself to a new set of tires to be ready to do it again. Driving the cars on these tours is the best part of the hobby..............

You tell them Paul! You're a veteran tourer if there ever was one! :)

Saturday - Drove the 1911 Stanley 20 miles round trip to the annual planning meeting of the Antique Steam Touring Club. This group mainly meets to talk about meetings. I'm the only guy in recent years who has driven an antique steam touring car to a meeting of the club. But it's an excuse to set fire to the beast and go for a ride in it.

Sunday - Drove the 1913 Model T 70 miles round trip to a Cars and Croissants get-together. This one was generously hosted by a Mercedes dealer in Newton, NJ and featured real croissants in three flavors. There were a couple of very nice 190SLs, and the usual gaggle of 'Vettes, Porsches, Italian goodies and modern vroomies, plus a Volt, a Tesla, and an electric motorcycle. And my brass car buddies Tricia and Andy Wallace showed up in a 1911 Packard to give the thing some elegance.

interesting mounting on the driving lights. How do they hold up to the vibration as I have never seen them mounted on the axle like that. Or I suppose they are mounted to the bumper brackets which in turn is bolted to the front axle, I just think they would see a lot of vibration but they do look nice.

Saturday we drove the 50 F1 a little over hundred miles roundtrip to visit a Tin Can Tourist Gathering's open house. Lots of fun looking at vintage campers, several towed by vintage iron.

For the first time since the Moline, Illinois AACA Grand National Meet, we finally had a chance to get the 1934 Buick out and take her for a nice drive. She was thirsty for a tank of Non-Ethanol.

WOW ! What a beeeaaaahhhuutiful piece of American history ! That thing is gorgeous Marty .....

Just trying to see,,,, what kind of carb is that, just curious ?

I bet that cruises...:D. My goodness that's beautiful....

I had some fun this past Sunday (9/15/2013) with some local-area driving in my '60 Bug, on which I just finished up installing a "hot rodder" header exhaust system wth "glasspack" muffler. Sounded sweet as we wound through the gears! Gorgeous afternoon to be out and about on the CT Shoreline...

post-34222-143142194583_thumb.jpg

Couple shots from the previous day's "installation party," below, also.

I also had to do some fiddling with one of the axle boots that I had installed a few months ago, and which had created an "Exxon Valdez" situation on my garage floor over time. Hoping I got it right this time.

post-34222-143142194603_thumb.jpg

post-34222-14314219457_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142194593_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gross and Disgusting Post of the Day - I had been noticing a funky smell in my garage the last few days but didn't think too much of it, it is a garage after all. I took the Packard out for a ride this morning to beat the rain heading our way and when I came back I noticed something on the floor so I left the car in the driveway. The "something" was a large mouse or small rat, dead from the poison bait that is always set out. Unfortunately it had chosen to die right under one of the Packard's wheels so when I backed out... just what I wanted to be doing right before breakfast!

post-54863-14314221102_thumb.jpg

Finished installing the Starter-Generator on the 1914 Buick (after minor repair to bracket, and had to tap for re-sized bolt).

post-54863-143142211023_thumb.jpg

Drove about 10 miles, came home and properly secured floorboard - took another shoprt drive, and then got a better adjustment for brakes - even better than before.

post-54863-143142211026_thumb.jpg

Hope to drive it again next weekend, maybe to local show, prior to leaving for Hershey !!

Took the model 41 out for a ride today with the family and dog to Thompson, CT for ice cream. It was a beautiful Fall day in New England. Our best time of year. Too bad I could not have driven the 71C, it is in for an engine rebuild. Don't think I will be driving it again this year.

Edited by Den41Buick (see edit history)

Came home today, after weekend long tour driving '41 McLaughlin Buick Roadmaster coupe along with some other vintage Buicks. We drove a bit North of into the Muckoka region of Ontario, nice roads, lots of beautiful lakes, and nice paved back roads to drive on. We did nearly 400 miles, and it ran nice the whole weekend!

Keith