Did anyone get any snow.. ??

nick8086

I didn't on Long Island, but may good friends in western New York have 5', thats feet not inches, on the ground and it's still snowing. I would be calling a moving company!

Woke up to -4 F this morning (a record low here) and a prediction of another 2-3 inches total coming overnight.

This is on top of our recent snow fall of 10 inches over Xmas Holidays which hasn't melted with the freezer  temps we are having...

Realise I'm not alone so everyone STAY SAFE & WARM! :)

Send it our way.  High today was 4 with an overnight low of -13.  It wasn't too bad plasticing up the rest of the windows I the garage,  but it was on the sunny side.  A little breeze picked up so I'm glad I did the shady side yesterday. Photos were taken before that.  It's suppose to be about -10 every night here for the next week.  Some nights down to -15 with highs of single digits. 

Good thing the regular shop has heat.  

IMG_8792.JPG

IMG_8783.JPG

We spent 15 Winters in North East Iowa.  In December of 1989 we had three nights in a row where the actual air temperature was between 30 and 33 degrees below zero.  We had a Buick station wagon that we locked up on the driveway and left it running all night long so that I could get to work in the mornings.  Would have never gotten the car started if I hadn't done that.  Later in that week there was a heat wave and the temperature got up to -5 degrees.  We saw wind chills of 65 to 80 below zero many a time.  Living down in Doo Dah now and do not miss that one little bit.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas  aka  Doo Dah

15 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Send it our way.  High today was 4 with an overnight low of -13.  It wasn't too bad plasticing up the rest of the windows I the garage,  but it was on the sunny side.  A little breeze picked up so I'm glad I did the shady side yesterday. Photos were taken before that.  It's suppose to be about -10 every night here for the next week.  Some nights down to -15 with highs of single digits. 

Good thing the regular shop has heat.  

IMG_8792.JPG

IMG_8783.JPG

Now that's a decent size toy box.

What made the large tire tracks in the snow? They look like turf tires on a tractor.

I just put a  $400 set of chains on my tractor, haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

My tractor has chains on all 4.  3rd,  year and I finally figured out the easy way to get them over the AG tires.  The big marks are the tractor tires.  Good thing for the chains,  as right before this snow storm about 8 inches,  We had 1/4 inch of ice after it rained at 22-28 degrees all day.  I could even feel the tractor spinning once in a while,  Mostly sliding sideways on it even with the chains. 

The smaller tracks were from the wife's truck.  Being so Cold I parked,  my diesel till it warms up a bit.  I had to get her Christmas present out of my truck.  A shiny new pair of 100 lb Propane cylinders.   Her expression wasn't quite the same as a nice sparkly something in a little box.  

Last year it was a new set of snow tires.  

Boy do I know how to treat the women. ;)

• Haha 2

I had similar snow to what Stude Light was referring to, plus a few more inches today. I had to shuffle cars around for maintenance. Both started surprisingly well for roughly 15degF temps. (WOOO HEAT WAVE!) The Chevy did really well traction wise, whilst the Buick slid the tires a bit more. Probably something to do with the Buick having a 4.9 to 1 rear axle ratio with skinnier tires.

20171229_172113.jpg

• Like 1

It's -18 right now according to Accuweather which also has the projected low at -9.  I find it interesting that they never change the projected low,  even when the current temp is way above or below it.  

Should also set a record as the old one was -8 for what is now yesterday and -11 for today.   They are saying it's going to get colder as well.  -23.  We seem to be running 30 + degrees colder than last year. 

No pictures, but I do have an issue.

I'll take the cold winter's over areas with extreme summer heat any time.  I am not sure if my body needs a new water pump or radiator, but it runs hot and wants to boil over in the heat of the summer.  Tends to run fine in the fall, winter, and spring,

Any ideas on how to fix my summer over heating issue?  Should I look at my radiator or water pump first?  My neighbor told me I need a new Head.

Seriously, 3 inches of snow.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, Vila said:

No pictures, but I do have an issue.

I'll take the cold winter's over areas with extreme summer heat any time.  I am not sure if my body needs a new water pump or radiator, but it runs hot and wants to boil over in the heat of the summer.  Tends to run fine in the fall, winter, and spring,

Any ideas on how to fix my summer over heating issue?  Should I look at my radiator or water pump first?  My neighbor told me I need a new Head.

Seriously, 3 inches of snow.

I actually have the same issue. For over 12yrs I’ve been getting ill during the summer. I get extreme fatigue, muscle/joint pain, loss of concentration, chills, and other smaller things but no fevers or weight loss. After many years of testing, this year after my latest episode, my wife and I decided to go all in and pursue it fully hoping we might finally get an answer. After $5k worth of blood work, a brain MRI, and visit with both a rheumatologist and infectious disease doctor, they finally feel they have an idea what it might be. A common health issue with many happens with the warm to cold temperatures. The cold causes the make up of people’s blood to change which results with many arthritic symptoms. They believe I am one of the much less common who gets ill from a warm temperature condition. They told me they believe the antibodies and cells in my blood “morph” and cause my ills. The doctor told me that they are currently not studying my issues in Boston as it’s just not common enough. They told me I wasn’t crazy nor was I alone with my symptoms.  Just so you know, this started when I was in my early 40’s and I’m 56 now. I’m in otherwise great health also. It’s been a very confusing and aggravating past decade.

I've been trying to make the best of the cold.  -10 last night and the day time high of 6.  Because we got freezing rain right before the cold,  the driveway is a solid sheet of ice,  but with just a tad of texture to it. We got snow on top of that and I plowed it.   Being so cold you actually have traction in the snow and you can drive up our drive in 2 wheel drive without spinning.  I usually keep the 600 foot driveway clean,  with no ice or snow,  but since it hasn't thawed since,  we have gone the other route and have been using the 300 foot hill at the top with the 300 foot flat at the bottom before the road as a sledding trail.  I even dug out an old runner sled and filed the rust off the runners.  That thing is pretty darn fast and tricky to steer with your feet to keep it in it's path.  (its a pretty good hill) with a 9 degree corner in the middle.  As a bonus it's an older drive so it has 2 rutts from years of traffic and this year, dump and cement trucks.  It gives you 2 pretty dedicated runs to race on.  I have been out with the kids the last few days giving them a little exercise.  I even grabbed it and took it down to get the mail yesterday.  

What else are you going to do.  I have been working on the garage outside a little at a time.  

Another week of -5 to -20 and then we are suppose to get balmy.  in 12 days we might see 34. 

On 12/28/2017 at 11:22 AM, capngrog said:

Nick,

Where is HOA?

Cheers,

Grog

P.S.  Not a flake (of snow:D) has been seen here in Paisley this month.

Hey Grog you may have spoken too soon.  I heard a report of a few flakes in Titusville today and a freeze for you by Thursday.  A low of 39 in Palm Bay also!!!.

3 hours ago, DAVE A said:

Hey Grog you may have spoken too soon.  I heard a report of a few flakes in Titusville today and a freeze for you by Thursday.  A low of 39 in Palm Bay also!!!.

What I said  was last year, so you can't hold me responsible for something I said that long ago:P.  As to the flakes reported in Titusville, that's not unusual 'cause we already have more than enough flakes here in Florida:o.  The current temperature at the Paisley Intranational Airport is +42° Fahrenheit, and that is FREEZING (as far as I'm concerned). 

Cheers,

Grog