2007 Hershey Show Sat.10/13

Paul Falabella

I was extremely disappointed in this years outing. At 10 o'clock a great number of vehicle were not yet in position. Pedestrians and vehicles shared the same route to enter the showfield.A narrow road a mile from most parking. The showfield was a dusty, hilly,cow pasture(this ain't 1960!).I heard several owners still trying to find their spot say,"Never again"at noon. Show field should be on paved surface as in recent past.

New topic. Proliferation of personal transports. Golf carts and handicapped type transports need to be resticted to those in actual need.If you display a handicap card on your vehicle then use shoud be permitted. And only electric personal transports should be allowed. Some of these vehicled emit more pollutants than the the cars!

New topic. Thought should be given to putting a cap on year of manufacture. Come on a K-car! '81 Skylark! AMC Concord. 1975 would be a good year to quit at. And maybe some thought shoud be given to displaying vehicles chronologically and alphabetically to make ones favorite era and make easier to find.

Just venting here,never in 25 years have I had a non weather related bad outing. Some issues do need to be addressed. Thanks for listening

Paulk F. Garden City, NY

Guest imported_Packards1

I had a great time at the show. The entry and exit to the vending fields was very well done by friendly people directing us. Did you have trouble with entry to the judging field with your car or were you a spectator to the event that the club members registered for. Most concours and judging events are on grass and there was more space between the cars than when they were on asphalt. That made for better pictures and less chance for damage to vehicles parked like they used to be on the parking lot. This event is sponsored by the AACA for their members to display their cars and vend their parts. The public is invited to view the entire event. The hundreds of volunteers at the event worked very hard and I am sure there will be feedback from registered participants for improvement for next year. Thanks to all the club member volunteers who worked so hard to put this event on.

Guest windjamer

Excause me packards, did you attend the same show as I? The previous coments where vary generous. NEVER again will eather of my cars grace the fields of hershey untill its back on the event center where it belongs. The narrow road was a cow path about a mile long. it took me an hr. and twentw min. to get almost to my class befor my buick got so hot it quit. A few min. latter a pretty t/bird blew a rad. across th path from me.Coolent flew steam gushed and I wondered was I back in Nam??We where not the only ones to have this problem, as I saw several including a beautiful 70 Chevelle gran nat. that was screaming at the vol. I did feel sorry for the vol., it wasnt there fault. One owner told me it took longer to enter the show pasture than it took to drive from Scranton. I dare Hershey to dispute what I say.No, I did not win after all that and Im not supprised, but to be cheated out of an award by two vech. with Radial tires in the trunk and add on duel master cyls.is pretty sad. I must say both cars where vary pretty with all the powdere coat on the inner fenders and chrome under the hood. To bad one didnt take the time to plug the holes in the inner fender. Must be they where so shiny they blinded the judges.Mine wher only simi closs as they came from the fac. I wanted to write this yesterday but in truth I was so upset I felt I might not be fair. Thanks for leting me vent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul Falabella</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

New topic. Proliferation of personal transports. Golf carts and handicapped type transports need to be resticted to those in actual need.If you display a handicap card on your vehicle then use shoud be permitted. And only electric personal transports should be allowed. Some of these vehicled emit more pollutants than the the cars!</div></div>

Two guys in a loud 1956 Ford Fairlane musical 'golf cart' with a disabled tag prominently displayed in the windshield argued with a traffic volunteer who denied them access to the show car route. (Good for her)

We observed these two ample bodied characters walk over 1/4 mile one way on foot until they were out of sight, then they returned all smiles with a permission slip and were waved through. Later we saw them cruising the flea market with their noise maker blaring bee-bop tunes.

There were problems. That is a fact! The Fall Meet Chairman apologized to everyone at the banquet and told them that they would begin to work on a fix right away. This year again there was a new footprint for the meet and the professional advice on the traffic flow was wrong pure and simple.

The national club recognized those problems and a few more and will be offering assistance to the region if needed.

The rules state that golf carts, etc. must be electric. However, if any of you have ever read the American Disabilities Act you will quickly understand that we are regulated by Federal Law. Secondly, while it may appear that some people do not seem handicapped that they have conditions that are not easily be detected. Then you have the unscrupulous people who get a handicapped permit under false circumstances.

Personally, I like cars on grass versus blacktop and would never hesitate to enter a show under those conditions. The site was on a former golf course that was open just three years ago and it was not THAT hilly. Again, some people prefer a flat antiseptic parking lot but I don't. The plan is for the area that the show was on to be paved some day but that is still awaiting approval. In the future it will be just another parking lot.

The fact is that the show requires thousands and thousands of hours all year around by a dedicated region who do this for free for all of us to enjoy. It is hard to please everyone but hopefully they will get the problems of 2007 fixed.

In the meantime, Tuesday through Friday were pretty great (even with the little rain)!

Guest my3buicks

I have to agree with many of the above comments - as a 28 year verteran of Hershey, I can state that this was the worst that I have been to for the "car show" itself(non weather realted). Winding the cars down thru the "car corral" was in itself poor planning, the backup and the ensueing overheating issues had by many was inexcusable. There were more pedestrans walking on the "

parade route" than cars driving on it. I observed more modern cars and trucks and trailers driving on the same "path" than I have ever observed before. That also made for backups as the volunteers tried to get them out of the way.

Yes, concours shows are on grass, but this was far from a concours type area. It was a mowed up field, period. My spot was an area that the grass had been reapired, so I sat on a slightly muddy area that is still embedded in my tires after the 4 hour drive home. How about the fire department coming thru screaming at car owners to move there cars from the graveled access lane, and at the same time screaming, "we told the AACA not to park cars here" These poor car owners that had set up and cleaned and detailed for judging were forced to move their car to wherever they could find a spot to squeeze. The dust was horrific, I felt bad for many of the owners of fine classics sitting by the front of the field by the "porta-johns" where the dust was THICK!!!! To think that while all these fine show vehicles sat in the dust, the venders and car corral sat on the pavement. Kinda is ironic to see a vender with his beat up old bus, 2 old axles, a couple hubcaps, and a peddle bike sitting pretty on the pavement while the cars got trashed.

The show also seemed to be an afterthought, even the location seemed like an afterthought. Could it be any further away from the center of activities?

I heard MANY car owners say this was the last time they would bring a car to Hershey.

This WAS NOT the organized Hershey of past.

The Hershey region needs to realize that the cas make Hershey, if it wasn't for the cars, there would be no need for the venders, or any other aspect.

Another issue that bothered me personally. I drove in on Friday with the car I was showing (luckily not a high point show car) but very nice non-the-less. It would be nice to have a designated area for cars that are REGISTERED for the show to park prior to the Saturday show. I had to park out in the middle of the hayfield with daily drivers, trucks, etc.

I realize this is a monumental task to perform each year, I urge the Hershey Region to take care of the show cars before they take car of anything else.

I will also thank the Hershey Region for again giving us the best car event in the world.

Got to go out now and find my car under it's thick layer of brown dust.

Well, I'm home still hurting from the over exercised feet, thankfully, it was a grass field. Like Steve, the grass is very appealing to me. It's never actually rained on this show field, so whether we're lucky or what, we still don't know how it would hold up under bad weather.

I felt very sorry for those show cars that arrived late. Other Dfer's and I were speaking of actually using the 2 driveways to bring the show cars in. They did that last year with some of the commercial vehicles. The spectator traffic caused real problems for the show cars trying to get on the field, maybe more restrictive walkways? About that, let me say, this year had more spectators than I've ever seen at my few years on the show field. And for the most part they were all respectful of each other.

As is always expected at a large successful show, the more successful it is, the more people you have viewing everything. I haven't heard a single person complain about too many flea vendors, so why complain about too many cars. The more, the merrier I always say.

Wayne

Keith, I respect the role all of our Fire Departments play in guarding the public safety. It will be interesting to find out who "in AACA" they ever consulted in planning the show field. Very interesting! My guess it will be no one in the Region or no one at HERCO as the showfield map was done quite sometime ago. The region consciously moved away from using the gravel road as a entrance and exit to avoid stone chips, etc.

The fact is that the complaints are legitimate and when you have problems or mistakes all you can do is try and fix them. I know by my emails and calls that we have a lot of work to do to repair the unhappiness of Saturday. I can only hope people are generous in their spirit and give the Region and AACA another chance.

Guest windjamer

Steve, you sir are a master of the understatement.Problems, PROBLEMS!!!!!? You are in the wrong field. You should have been a politian maby evan anouther bush. Only problem there is you are a man of your word and a person that keeps his word. Believe me your dedication. hard work and (small maricals) you know what Im talking about, are appreciated. The question was asked in anouther post if the flea mkt. was more importiant than the show.I say follow the money.Im told there about 10,000 vendor spots at hershey. I have 5. At 70 bucks a pop.I cant evan total that amount weith my free aarp calulator. Now take maby twelve - fifteen hundred clasics at thirty bucks a pop wellll, just follow the money.I do owe I think it was the chefe judje I expressed my frustrations to an appoligy, evan though he agreed with me that the show should have been at the event center. HMMMM cant have that, it was the green field look at all those hundreds of 70$ spots we would loose. Want the show on grass??? How about the large flat level field where we parked the hundreds of spectator cars andf thje large field next to it where the judges parking was 3 or 4 years ago. Mow it nice and make it the show field.Gosh once again my stupid side is showing. I plum forgot about all those 10 doller bills we get from the spectators cars. One last topic,and this is ment only I say again only for the gentelman with the burnt orange vett. that was sreaming at the lady in the blue chevelle,if you are reading this you owe her and the 2 spectators that stoped me a big thankyou.I was 3 cars behind her when you through your childish temper tantrum she is my wife,as a former military instructor of hand to hand and a combat vett of nam, I ment to XXX XXX all the way back to the starting gate.

My impression is that this year's Hershey was a mixed bag, with more good than bad.

Positive: Beautiful weather except Thursday morning. Lots of activity around the HCCA tent in the flea market, including a wonderful send-off for Harold Sharon. My son sold his Model A. I bought four new all-grays and an '11 Stanley (no, not the one in the flea market). The show area was beautiful; I much prefer seeing cars on grass than in a parking lot (contingent on good weather, which we were fortunate to have). As I threatened we would do in a prior post, my son and I drove up from Lititz (28 miles) in just over an hour in his 1909 EMF and my 1906 Buick, and had a beautiful ride up and back. Since my car wasn't being judged and I don't walk as well as I once did, I spent a lot of time sitting in my Buick with the top down, and got a lot of interested spectators asking (mostly) good questions.

Negative: Getting into the judging field. We easily drove west on Hershey Park Drive to within about 20 car-lengths of the entrance to the park. It took 15 minutes to go those 20 car-lengths, and another half-hour-plus to get parked. We had to detour past several stalled trailer queens, in addition to the pedestrians and corral cars mentioned in prior posts. Two-cylinder cars with total-loss oil systems don't like long idles, so from time to time I had to rev up a bit (a bit being all the revs it's got) to clear the engine. This belched oily smoke all over some very nice show cars, for which I apologize to the owners - they didn't like being there any more than I did! Much as I like having show cars on grass, I'd much rather have them on pavement if it would avoid the delay. The really annoying thing, to me, was that last year there was a similar interminable delay. I remember announcements that the mandatory 10 a.m. arrival time cut-off would be waived. Did no one learn from a year ago?

This is in no way intended to denigrate the hard work of the Hershey volunteers. I've often said I was glad I didn't live near Hershey - I'd have to spend all year working on the show instead of enjoying my cars, as I'm sure many Hershey Region members must. And I thank them!

Thanks to the volunteers and those that put on this show. It is a major international classic that would not happen without them and I appreciate their considerable effort.

Thursday was cold and miserable and the first time I ever attended on a non car show day and although I thought I'd die of hypothermia, I was able to relax, hike in the rain in my poncho and enjoy the flea market and visit with old friends. Thursday turned out to be a great day. I brought a car Saturday, enjoyed the show, and expect to come back next year with a car. Based on the fact that the purpose of AACA is the preservation of old cars, here are my comments on Saturday.

1. Parking cars close together (long rant)

I showed cars in more than a dozen shows this summer between Gilmores and Larz Andersons and only one time, this last weekend, did I have to park so close the doors could bang on the car next to you. (even Macungie was acceptable this year) I understand its a long tradition and a part of Hershey that cars are so close that a judge can not do an interior inspection without someone holding the door and that spectators can not pass between cars and that there is no room for a wheel chair to pass between cars, and you only have so much room for cars, and "I need to pack them in to have room for everyone comming", blah blah blah... Its a tradition Hershey should do away with. All I'm asking for is 42 inches between cars or increase from an eight foot wide space to a ten feet wide. I saw plenty of open space around the show to make up that 25%.

2. Getting cars on the show field. You need to park about 1200 cars in two hours or one every six seconds. I did not study the bottleneck getting into the show, but I'll bet a contributor was the density of cars. Cars were held up by the car ahead of them backing up and pulling ahead and getting a little closer so you can be sure your doors bang because "I need to pack them in to have room for everyone comming".

3. The placement of cars. Splitting the classes up by the so called main street on the map looked good, but turns the show layout into a hodge podge. Keep the classes together so the show field does not look like a Walmart parking lot with people taking pictures.

4. Placement of vendors Instead of putting the soda fountain and hot dog vendors in the middle and the cars to the edges, move the vendors to the edges and keep the cars the focus.

5. Coffee. Although the food lines were long and slow, I enjoyed my hot dog with the toasted bun and the crab sandwich was great, but the one vendor selling coffee lost the technology on how to make it and could not give a time for having coffee done. I'll bring a thermos next year.

6. Grass. I liked the grass and understand there may be people that debate me on this one but the car show was probably a better use of the grass than golf. smile.gif If it had rained we could have set up chairs watching the guys in the halftrack tow antiques through the mud. That would have been as entertaining as watching farm tractors tow Surburbans and car trailers a few years ago. Grass is fine for small shows with multiple ways in and out, but may not be right in the long term for Hershey. I think Hershey has been lucky for the last two years.

7. Problems with dust. Like a lot of people, I don't run my car much and work hard keeping it looking good, but I got no problems with a little dust. And believe me, it was a little dust. The ground got soaked Thursday. Imagine the dust if it had been dry. Its a car. Take it home and give it a bath.

8. Leaving. When I left the field I was sent to the right, to a road block manned by a cop asleep in his car and no signs. It was a chance to ride around Hershey a bit in my old car and as long as I kept within view of the roller coaster I knew I'd find my trailer. Hershey was lovely. See you next year.

Bill

I've been lucky enough to attend this terrific show for 35 consecutive years and have seen many changes - some good and some not so good - (and I'm only 43 years old). Before I say my thoughts, I must commend the Hershey Region for doing an overall great job once again!

I agree there were some serious issues with the location of the car corral and the show entrance/location but this is what happens when the show gets bigger and bigger every year. Cutting the car age might be a good idea to allow for more older cars. I don't know what else to suggest other than to reduce the number of flea market vendors - (or relocate them somewhere) to make room for the car corral and show cars, which really do make the event special.

"jammer" it was an understatement but by my nature I do not like to spend a significant time on the past which cannot be changed. The measure of a person or organization is what they do when presented with a problem. I think the letters to the region and national will be substantial and that is sad but we cannot change anything! I just took a few minutes off for lunch and saw the region leadership. They have already met this morning to start the process of fixing the negative issues of this year.

As far as the math of the meet is concerned, make sure you factor in the COST of holding the meet! It is monumental. The customers of the region (fleas and corral folks) are on the grounds in many cases from Tuesday thru Saturday. They deserve consideration as well.

I will beg off for awhile since all of us are pretty exhausted. I hope that people will just temper their anger. Remember, many of these volunteers never get to go to the flea market, corral or car show since they have to WORK! Oh yea, they are highly compensated with a hat and a meal ticket! Even my staff (bless them) work from BEFORE sun up to 5:30 or so and are on their feet non-stop. One of our ladies has worked for us over 20 years, handles our judging program yet has never been to the show before until this year.

I try not to be a apologist nor a fault finder. I think in order to make YOUR club better we need to always be moving forward. Negative comments are constructive and they will be addressed. We are all a bit shocked by the problems that occurred.

FJD, cutting the show car age will not happen!

The AACA is trying it's best to bring in new young car hobbists. I even saw a Chevy Vega yesterday, and immediately thought of DaveMoon warning members that these types of cars will be on the show field at some point in time. So, here they are! They may not appeal to all, but then this is not a marque club. We're open to all and every vehicle 25 Years and older! smile.gif

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remember, many of these volunteers never get to go to the flea market, corral or car show since they have to WORK! Oh yea, they are highly compensated with a hat and a meal ticket! Even my staff (bless them) work from BEFORE sun up to 5:30 or so and are on their feet non-stop. One of our ladies has worked for us over 20 years, handles our judging program yet has never been to the show before until this year. </div></div>

This year, every time I saw a volunteer, I tried to consider that these folks give up their Hershey every year so we can have a good time. Amazing ! It is appreciated !

Dear Wayno,Seeing those Packards and Zephyr 3 window under a layer of dust enough to make you cry YES.Woodchuck holes and uneven ground trying to turn your ankle YES.SEEING that Rolls Royce convertible coupe and telling the owner that i had never seen one before and him responding that it's the ONLY one in the world,PRICELESS.THIS show is without any question in my mind simply the BEST.diz

Steve, hats off to you and your group, I think this is one of those things that is easy to kvetch about but would be daunting if the shoe were on the other foot. From a flea market vendor's viewpoint the AACA has made great strides in making the process easier for vendors to get on the lots, get set up and get out at the end. My friends and I talked about how much more accomodating the officials are for vendors, how the meet doesn't turn into a mud pit after a rain like we had on Thursday (I don't even pack my mudders any more), how we get on the field earlier on Tuesday AM, no more mysterious "all clear to go" wait.

I do miss the chronology of the past car show arrangement where you could see all of the cars from the distance and see the brass buggies flow into the sea of model-T black metal flow into the multi-colored 20's cars and so on--I haven't really figured out the lay of the new grass field, some is chronological, maybe I should look at a map from an eagle-eye perspective.

Thanks, Hershey region for a big job well done.

Guest South_paw

Would this idea be possible?

I noticed lots of vendors packing up and leaving on Friday afternoon. How about having one vendor field (pick one) that must be vacated by Friday evening? This way, a field will be empty and available for the car show. I was walking the Chocolate field on Friday afternoon. I couldn't believe the traffic jam of vendors heading out. By Saturday morning there was wide open spaces in every field. If all of the vendors that left on friday where in one field, there would have been plenty of room to have the show. I realize this is easier said than done crazy.gif

I do want to thank the AACA & the Hershey Region for the hard work it take to put on such a huge event smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1. Parking cars close together (long rant)

I showed cars in more than a dozen shows this summer between Gilmores and Larz Andersons and only one time, this last weekend, did I have to park so close the doors could bang on the car next to you. (even Macungie was acceptable this year) I understand its a long tradition and a part of Hershey that cars are so close that a judge can not do an interior inspection without someone holding the door and that spectators can not pass between cars and that there is no room for a wheel chair to pass between cars, and you only have so much room for cars, and "I need to pack them in to have room for everyone comming", blah blah blah... Its a tradition Hershey should do away with. All I'm asking for is 42 inches between cars or increase from an eight foot wide space to a ten feet wide. I saw plenty of open space around the show to make up that 25%.

</div></div>

It's been this way for as long as I can remember. Most friends I have refuse to bring cars to this show for that reason. However, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of others willing to bring cars. To label Saturday a "fiasco" would be generous.

As for the golf carts, it was always my perception that having one had more to do with who you knew then any disability.

A.J.

Guest windjamer

Wayne you are right and I must admit that evan as upsit as I was Sat. I took the time to recrut anouther member I just hope he sends in the form I gave him.

The only thing that was missed last year and this year was a small sign in the middle of Hershey Park Drive to show the entrance to the Red Field. They used to have such a sign. Last year we drove right past the entrance, as did others, resulting in having to make a turn into another street, turn around and try again. Obviously this adds to the traffic congestion. Such a simple thing, but easily overlooked (it was overlooked). In spite of some glitches, Hershey is still the biggest and the best.

Fred

exactly, i drive my car, this is why i dont show it a Hershey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my3buicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Another issue that bothered me personally. I drove in on Friday with the car I was showing (luckily not a high point show car) but very nice non-the-less. It would be nice to have a designated area for cars that are REGISTERED for the show to park prior to the Saturday show. I had to park out in the middle of the hayfield with daily drivers, trucks, etc.

</div></div>

Guest my3buicks
exactly, i drive my car, this is why i dont show it a Hershey.

Ted, if that comment was elluding that you can't have a show car and drive it also, that's full of beans. I know of many national winning show cars that have been driven to every meet they have entered and consistantly score with the best of them. My 67 included.

I think the problem that is being addressed here is what to do with a show car on Thursday or Friday while you are at the flea market. Unless you have an enclosed trailer, I know of nothing to do with a show car while you are walking the flea market. Life is heck. I drove 186 miles one way and did the flea market on Thursday and came back with a car on Saturday. I do not expect, with all the other problems this show has to deal with, that they would have day care for my car.

Maybe they save 50 spots at the end of the car corral for cars that are registered for Saturday and give them a place to park Thursday and Friday.

And yes, although I seldom do it, I saw two guys that drove from the Northeast to Denver for a Grand National show and did fine. You can drive, but you have to be prepared for a couple days of detailing.

Bill

It took me an hour and 15 minutes to get into the show. I agree with most of the people that have posted on here.

My complaint is that when we left the car show on Saturday the exit route was great which I really liked. However, I did not know where I was going and where the road lead to. I think a sign at the end of the road showing whether to go left or right to the main roads would have helped quite a bit. Never having been in that part of the area I was a little lost but obviously found my way (despite having to drive through Baltimore before I found route 39).

We hear constant complaints that "the early cars don't come out anymore". Is it any wonder? I can not imagine a worse scenario facing anyone with a real early vehicle than long, slow lines with a final hill to climb into the show field. Geeze! Please give a little consideration to those cars with cone clutches and rudimentary cooling systems. Certainly something can be done? I heard at least one very well heeled exhibitor of high dollar early show cars declare under oath that he would not return to Hershey if the show field remains as it is. We are restoring a very rare, very early and very crude vehicle. Likely we would not have been able to drive it onto the field under the conditions Saturday. Also seems pretty basic that there should have been signs directing folks to the various fields as well as to the show. First time I've ever actually seen show cars being pushed onto the show field. Anyone else attend the Judges Breakfast? We had the whole Giant Center to play with yet all of the tables were crammed together at one end of the ice rink with less than minimum room between tables. The Pledge of Allegiance had to be dispensed with. There just was not enough room at the tables for everyone to stand at the same time. Ridiculous! One last gripe then I'll shut up. The guy with the whistle...he needs Ritalin in the worst way! Like everyone else I commend the Hershey Region for ther dedication and hard work but the fact remains, someone dropped the ball on some pretty basic matters.

Since I did not bring my car this year, and was sort of busy judging, I did not notice the path into the showfield. Now I understand why so many cars came onto the showfield late, and why so many were overheating. I do agree that whoever designed the judges breakfast seating arrangements was not thinking. There was also enough room inside the building, that the line could have been inside instead of standing out in the cold for 30 minutes waiting to be let inside the building. I am very happy that it was not raining.

With all of that said, I also would like to thank the Hershey Region for all of its hard work. It is much easier to complain than it is to plan an event of this magnitude.

I have faith that the powers to be will do their best to improve on all of the issues that have been raised.

The following are my observations relating to Hershey 2007.

First, a big <span style="font-weight: bold">thank you </span>to all the volunteers who put in countless hours each year over many months to ensure that Hershey stands as it has been more many years, the premier event of its kind on the east coast and the world. Even with the problems this year it still is, in my opinion.

Second, as has been stated in other posts, the parade route to the show field took way too long and was choked with people milling around the car corral cars. I drove up from Rockville, MD the morning of the show and it took me half as long as the drive up to get in to the show field. Fortunately, I use my '57 T-Bird in parades and it is used to sitting in traffic, so I didn't have any overheading problems. I can surely understand that you might, especially if you have an old or marginal cooling system. It would have been a whole lot worse if the temperature had been 15 degrees warmer.

Third, the DPC cars (the class I was in) were stuck in the corner of the field and saw very little spectator traffic.

Fourth, I liked that the car corral cars were closer to the show field this year and that I was actually able to see them. That said, it seemed to me that there was a paucity of cars compared to prior years. It may be that a lot of cars changed hands in the days prior to Saturday. I also thought a number of cars being offered were under restored and over priced.

Fifth, because of the location of the show field, I was not able to see any of the flea market area. The friend I drove up with and I just didn't feel like making the long hike that would have been required just to do some browsing.

I agree with other posts that the layout of everything needs to be rethought. I think the show field needs to be more centrally located and in close proximity to the car corral. The actual flea market vendors should should be closer to this area and let the far away spots go to those people that are renting spaces for the motor homes. I will admit to a personal bias here since I don't usually come up before Saturday and I like to see as much as I can on that day. The current location of the show field really limits how much of Hershey I can take in on one day.

Finally, I think AACA should do a survey of people who have showed their cars in the past and have not brought them back. I love to see true classic cars like Duesenbergs and their ilk. When they are missing it is a loss for all of us. (Although, the Ruxton with the outrageous 4 tone paint job was really something to behold. I would have loved to see that car on the road when it was new.)

Once again, thank you for putting on such a great meet and here's hoping that steps are taken to make it even better next year.

I've only been going to Hershey for about 8 years and in just that time I've noticed a deterioration. I realize the logistics must be overwhelming and the volunteers are to be saluted for their efforts but some of problems seem so blatently bad that it makes a person wonder. I would think adequate signage would be an easy no brainer but there never seems to be even the most basic of signs saying where to go. The traffic cops don't seem to be briefed since every time I've asked for directions they don't seem to have a clue. The HUGE motor homes on the field problem is getting out of hand and needs to be addressed. I wasn't able to attend the show on Saturday and was disappointed until I got home on Sunday and read the posts. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

I live close enough to Hershey to just drop by a day or two at the flea market and as for the show, unless the problems are rectified I'll just do the regionals........Bob

The following post is not mean to hurt anyone's feelings be they individuals, Hershey Region members or their officers or National Club officers. My apologies for the length of this post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There were problems. That is a fact! The Fall Meet Chairman apologized to everyone at the banquet and told them that they would begin to work on a fix right away. This year again there was a new footprint for the meet and the professional advice on the traffic flow was wrong pure and simple.</div></div>

The first step to dealing with a problem is admitting it. Glad to see the Hershey Region and National AACA have done that.

I think the next step should be to FIRE the "professional" who advised Hershey Region concerning running the show cars through the car corral. This person OBVIOUSLY did not consider all aspects of the situation before making a recommendation.

While the region is at it, they should demand their money back if this "professional advice" was PAID for. wink.gif

Next, it would appear a letter of apology from the Fall Meet Chairman to each and every show vehicle owner that was on the show field is in order. The Fall Meet Chairman needs to do this to demonstrate, in a tangible way, that he and the region recognized just how serious the problems that occurred at the 2007 show were and how serious they are about fixing them. I know of a LOT of show car owners that do not go to the banquet and do not read this forum. Along with that apology letter the Fall Meet Chairman should include a survey that show car owners should fill out and return. That survey should include all aspects of the show from the field to entrance and exits, food vendors, bathroom facilities, how the field was laid out, how the field was marked, parking, trailer parking, etc., etc, etc. The MOST IMPORTANT question on the survey should be the type of show field surface used. During the show there was a VERY LARGE NUMBER of show car owners that voiced their opinion regarding the show field surface. It would appear that Hershey Region and the National Club are SERIOUSLY mistaken regarding the consensus about the show field surface. If this survey comes back with a majority of people wanting a particular show field surface the Hershey Region should make any necessary change IMMEDIATELY, not in X number of years. Waiting until that happens sends a very LOUD and CLEAR message from Hershey Region to show car owners. (ie we do not care what the majority wants, the surface you get is what you get). Hershey Region needs to begin accepting feedback and suggestions about the event in a more structured way. A survey would be one such way. The National Club should also encourage ALL other Regions and Chapters to use such a survey following an event. After all, why shouldn't the show car owners be able to grade the event on how well it did or did not do when it comes to satisfying the needs and wants of the owners?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I like cars on grass versus blacktop and would never hesitate to enter a show under those conditions. The site was on a former golf course that was open just three years ago and it was not THAT hilly. Again, some people prefer a flat antiseptic parking lot but I don't. The plan is for the area that the show was on to be paved some day but that is still awaiting approval. In the future it will be just another parking lot.</div></div>

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that is true. It seems however that Hershey Region does not care about nor solicit the opinion of the show car owners in a structured way when it comes to the location/surface for the show. With all due respect Steve, I and some other show car owners find the whole golf course, drains well reasoning to be as flawed as this year's route through the car corral. So the ground may drain well, so what? Last time I checked the heaviest vehicle a golf course had to contend with is a golf cart with a few people and their golf clubs when it comes to weight. Compare that weight to the weight of a single show vehicle weighing 2,000 to 5-6,000 pounds. Then take that one vehicle and multiple by 500-1300 vehicles. In the case of a wet (all be it not flooded) golf course, those vehicles will tear up that grass surface in short order. What happens when those show vehicles get STUCK on the golf course field? Wouldn't you think some show vehicles might get damaged when they were being pulled out? What about a show vehicle simply sliding into it's neighbor when trying to park or exit the field? (Think Fall Carlisle and the mess they had this year when that happened.) Hershey Region and the National Club need to start thinking about the potential consequences of how things are done at an event.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact is that the show requires thousands and thousands of hours all year around by a dedicated region who do this for free for all of us to enjoy. It is hard to please everyone but hopefully they will get the problems of 2007 fixed.

In the meantime, Tuesday through Friday were pretty great (even with the little rain)! </div></div>

Yes, events like Fall Hershey do require a LOT of WORK by many dedicated people. We should not lose sight of that and we should thank those people for their efforts. I have personally worked at many, many manufacturer specific car show events over the years which are close to the same size as Fall Hershey's Car Show. Getting to the show site before dawn and leaving after dark. I have attended numerous marathon meetings (6, 8, 10 hours in length) for shows. All that work for nothing more than a "Thank You" or a dinner every once in a while. Volunteers have a tough job and they deserve a BIG "THANK YOU".

Now on to my observations & suggestions:

- Do not run the show cars through the car corral ever again. People looking at the car corral vehicles held up the show vehicles

and on several occasions nearly became live, bleeding, hood ornaments. The legal ramifications for the show car owners, the Hershey

Region and the National Club could be HUGE in the event of an injury or death and the lawsuit that would certainly come about.

- Consider changing the way dash plaques are distributed at the show. Making each vehicle stop to get a dash plaque takes valuable time.

Next year put a ticket/card in the show car packet. Then instruct the show car owner to turn that ticket/card into a booth on the show

to receive their Dash Plaque. Doing this will keep the show cars moving and further cut down on the wait to get into the field.

Maybe this same booth where the Dash Plaques are given out could also sell coffee, juice and/or donuts/pastry to the show car owners?

If this booth idea is not workable then have the dash plaques given out on the show field when the cars are stopped to be directed to

their proper rows in the car show or by the people parking the cars in their individual spots.

- PLEASE, OH PLEASE, limit the number of times a show car is stopped by people working the show. I was stopped no less than FOUR TIMES

on my way into the show field. That is 2-3 TIMES TOO MANY. Doing that to even one-half the show cars means the show stands No Chance

at All of getting all the cars in and parked on time.

- Signs on the show field MUST be upgraded for future shows. All signs along "main street" at the end of the isles need to be LARGER and mounted on TALLER poles. These signs should also be mounted on 4-5 foot tall poles driven securely into the ground. The signs on these poles should use

numbers and letters 2-3 INCHES TALL. Having BETTER, more READABLE signs would allow the event to stop using so many people

that were stopping cars to direct them and holding up traffic. Also ALL SIGNS SHOULD BE PLACED ON THE LEFT OR RIGHT SIDE OF Main Street.

Someone SCREWED UP ROYALLY and placed some of the signs that belonged on main street on the gravel road instead. That added to the

confusion and traffic on the show field. If you want to re-use the signs year after year then mount the letters and numbers using

velcro onto the sign board. Small, hand written signs mounted on small wooden stakes that are easily hidden by cars and people walking

on the show field is a GREAT EXAMPLE of how not to utilize signs at an event especially one like Hershey.

- It has been said before that the show cars are TOO CLOSE together. This is an even larger concern when the cars are parked on a

sloped field. The class I was in was parked on a slope. When the car owners were cleaning their cars they had to "spot" each other's

doors so that they could clean the car and not have their door bang into the car next to them. The car owner also had to hold their

door while the car was being judged so the interior judge could do their job and not have doors banging into eachother.

The cars are also to close together for spectators as well. I witnessed any number of times when a spectator or another car owner

brushed up against a show car with their backpack, camera or coat. One has to wonder how many show car owners found scratches on their

cars after the show or when they got home. Yes, I know the show field does not have a lot of extra space however I do have a thought

for Hershey Region to consider. How about looking at the number of "Do Not Judge" cars on the show field and how they might be managed

differently??? Some in this thread have suggested cutting off the show cars at a certain year. What about simply not allowing the

"Do Not Judge" cars onto the show field? These cars are taking up spaces in many of the show classes. Over the last three years (2005- 2007)the DNJ cars have averaged 103 cars per show. That is more than just a few spaces on the show field and more than a few cars waiting

in line to get into/out of the show. An alternative to not allowing the DNJ cars on the field at all might be to park them all together

on another section of the field where they can be parked close together as they are now. This might free up some additional space in

the individual classes although I doubt it since the total number of cars will not be reduced, simply moved around.

- Traffic after the show being forced to turn right out of the show field was a problem again this year from what show car owners have

said. It is time for Hershey Region to just deal with this problem by making up signs to direct show cars back to Hershey Park Blvd.

and Route 39. Obviously, the new HERCO signs were useless to the many show car owners that are unfamiliar with the Hershey area.

- GOOD JOB as far as moving food vendors onto the show field perimeter. This year I was able to spend more time looking at vehicles

on the show field instead of walking over to the Giant Center for food and a port-a-pot.

Also a pat on the back for increasing the number of port-a-potties on the show field.

Finally, Hershey Region REALLY, REALLY needs to start thinking Long Term as far as the show field is concerned.

The current show site has produced traffic problems for TWO YEARS IN A ROW. This year, the car corral contributed in a LARGE part

to the back up of cars but is not the only cause of the problem.

Personally, I believe that the location and access to the current show field is the LARGER

and UNDERLYING problem that Hershey Region is failing to REALIZE or ADMIT is the root of the problem.

The eventual black topping of the current field will certainly prevent a muddy disaster when it rains which is good.

Unfortunately, it will not solve the access problem that the show field now suffers from.

With that in mind, I think it is time for the show to move back to the blacktop in front of the Giant Center.

YES, that would mean moving vendors off of that field and over to the current show field. Will that upset some/most of those vendors?

PROBABLY. Will it solve the access and backup problems getting to the show field? YES. Will it bring the car show to a more central location and make show car owners feel less like 2nd class citizens? YES. Will it prevent a muddy disaster the next time it rains ar Fall Hershey?? YES.

According to the number of show car participants as published in the Fall Meet Program the number of cars on the show field

is declining:

2003 to 2004 = DOWN 91

2004 to 2005 = UP 33

2005 to 2006 = DOWN 169 (1st year show was on grass)

2006 to 2007 = DOWN 17

Some could argue that the decline in show cars over the last two years (12.67%) may be due to the change in the show field

surface and/or it's location. Without a survey from the car owners who did not return after 2005 it is difficult to know for sure.

That is why the survey I mentioned earlier in this post REALLY NEEDS TO BE DONE by Hershey Region. They REALLY need to find out

what their "customers" (ie show car owners) like or dislike about the event so they can fix the problems (including the show surface and location if that is an issue). While Hershey region is at it they should include a SASE for the survey to be returned in.

Yes that could cost the region a little over $1000 in postage but I have a feeling they can afford such an expense for such an important, fact gathering endeavor.

My apologies for the length of this post but some of the items here have not been discussed in prior posts in this thread.

It is my sincere hope that Hershey Region and the National Club reads these thoughts and views them as constructive suggestions from a concerned AACA member who attends Fall Hershey and wants to see it grow and prosper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nearchoclatetown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is just a thought, but would ANY of you as business owners put up signs if you were selling a program with VERY GOOD maps in them? They give space number and more info then anyone can remember. Should all that be on a sign too? As was said in another post, you guys need a life! </div></div>

On the surface the maps in the program might be a partial solution however I think you may not have considered some draw-backs to such a solution.

You might not realize that the so-called "VERY GOOD map" in the program and where some classes were on the show field DID NOT MATCH. Someone either made a mistake positioning the signs within the classes, changes were made to the show's layout after the program was printed or people parking the cars made mistakes. A least a few classes were NOT PARKED WHERE THEY WERE INDICATED ON THE MAP. Just ask the class that was physically parked behind my class instead of next to it where the "Very Good Map" indicated they should be. Poor signage, changes to the layout or a parking staff that may have been poorly briefed may have contributed to that situation.

Also, how many people buy the program? Not everyone does. How many show car owners come on the morning of the show and do not have the opportunity to buy a program? Not sure, but I would image some do. How many show car owners have internet access and can view the map on-line? Given the age demographic of many show car owners I would suspect that not many have internet access. Does the map printed in the program reflect the actual layout of the show or have last minuted changes to the layout been made? Only Hershey Region can answer that question.

FYI, I have worked at auto events that have nearly as many cars on the field as Fall Hershey. Some of those events have EXCELLENT signage, have LESS staff parking the cars on the field, stop the cars LESS often than Hershey and do not have NEARLY the traffic problems Hershey had this year. So maybe, just maybe, Hershey might benefit from some suggestions. wink.gif

Thanks to you and others for being concerned about my life.

I know there are a lot of caring people within the AACA and here on the forums. smile.gif

I took the time out of my EXTREMELY BUSY life to post what I did because of the extremely SERIOUS nature of some mistakes and the REPETITVE nature of other mistakes made at this years show. I heard so many show car owners on the field on Saturday say "this is my Last Hershey Show, I am not coming back next year". If that turns out to be true come next year, the decline in show attendance may comtinue to grow due to people being dissatisfied with the car show.

I have seen, First Hand, how serious problems have impacted other automotive events. Some of those events have spent YEARS try to rebuild their reputations and attract show car owners once again. Other events never recovered from their mistakes and are just a faint memory. While the Hershey Car Show is FAR, FAR from that point, it can ill afford to make light of the problems in 2007 or ignore input that is constructive. AACA members should do the same.

After last year's unfortunate "getting lost in Hershey" experience (i.e. being directed to take a right out of the car show field and having no idea how to get back to the car show trailer parking field on Route 39), I did take the time to ask a show field parking volunteer how to get there, and received very good advice, which thankfully enabled me to get back to where I needed to go, no muss, no fuss. I don't feel I need to reiterate any of the car show field entrance horror stories that have been related in previous posts--I'll just say that it was a stressful situation for me--and thankfully we got thru it ok. I can only imagine the unbelievable amount of work by dedicated volunteers that it takes to produce an event of this magnitude, and I sincerely applaud everyone who did their best to put it together once again for 2007.

P.S.: I can't believe they allow VW Rabbits, of all things, onto the show field. Sheesh!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- Consider changing the way dash plaques are distributed at the show. Making each vehicle stop to get a dash plaque takes valuable time.</div></div>

Dash plaques? There were dash plaques? I didn't get a dash plaque in the whole six times my car was stopped to direct me where to go (including that guy on the power trip with the stupid, irritating whistle). I thought they just did away with them. My buddy behind me didn't get one, either.

Here's another thing I saw that I thought needed addressing - bicycles. I saw a group of three people walking around with bicycles. These bicycles had no place being walked around on the field. Not only was there the chance that one of them could have damaged a vehicle, but they really interfered with foot traffic, which is difficult to begin with. Baby strollers are bad enough, and you're not going to be able to avoid them, but bicycles should be banned. There is just no reason for them to be there.

Also, there was a kid around my car with a skate board-looking thing with a steering tiller on it. The woman with the car next to me asked him sweetly to be careful - I was a little more direct and told him to get away from the car with it. He was less than 6 inches away from my irreplacable aluminum panels, all the while twirling and fooling with that contraption, all while the father was over gawkling/taking pictures of another car.

If you've got a field with limited access such as this one, then someone should be manning the gates and stopping items such as this from entering the field.

I've seen many comparisons to concours events. Never been to one - but I'll bet they don't allow bicycles, baby strollers and other such objects on the show field.

Paul

Interesting thread and definitely some good ideas for someone to consider for next year.

Some of the miscues does make one wonder how they could of possibly happened, like running out of space (many) in classes even though the car counts have been in for months and why the police didn't let anyone make a right in our lane for 30 minutes at the red-light only just the other lanes. There were a lot of cars that overheated before they even started the long loop to the show field.

A+ for food vendors and additional porta-potty's though those in the clear back should of had some potty's like last year as those with canes, walkers and crutches had issues with the long walk.

The Hershey Region overall does a good job but one needs to wonder what the thought process was with going through a operational car coral with 1100 show cars, signs pointing the wrong way (if you could see them), one entrance for all vehicles onto the show field even though there are 2 entrances and double lane road, etc. Time for a lesson's learned meeting to make improvements / tweaks.

I like the grass field for showing even though I will have between 8 and 10 hours of getting the dust off and out of everything. I was lucky as I could set with my car this year (end spot) but many couldn't in my class (large cars). Probably explains why I was so busy all day as many of the spectators just could not walk between to see the other cars in my class.