2007 Hershey Show Sat.10/13

Paul Falabella

Based on all the complaints it is about time Hershey show went for 2 days. Pre-war (up to 1942) and Post-war. Shorter lines, more room for the cars. When I joined the AACA in 1964 the judging stopped at 1929, still more than 25 years old like today. Past 1929 were considered production cars. I think they had something going then.

It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to go almost nowhere. I started in the green field flea market and exited the field at Hockerville Road and had to make a big circle around the Giant Center to enter the show field, just to get my dash plaque. One of the biggest problems I saw was necking everyone down to one lane through the crowded Car Corral and spectators not letting Show cars move through. I was told "feel free to run over anyone in the way if it wouldn't hurt my car" by one of the officials, which I know he didn't mean, but he was upset that people were in front of the yellow caution tape. I think that the dash plaques should be put in the registration packets, and make Hockerville Road two lanes in, entering both from Hershey Park Drive and from 39 through the Car Corral.

Hershey is a HUGE undertaking and I commend all those who work to make it what it is. To work with Herco and the grounds that are available take a lot of planning and cooperations from both partys. Everyone must remember that Hershey Region only uses the grounds that are available to them, paved or grassy.

Looking forward to next year's show - I can enter my '83 MB - one of my daily drivers - and drive right onto the show field and get cheap parking for the day! Only problem may be the old girl boiling over at crawl speed on line. Beats walking for miles through the "flea market" past rows of parked campers and mobile homes, passing one or two tables with parts for sale along the way. I would never enter one of my early brass cars in the show because I want to save them from the kind of abuse I saw inflicted on all the cars on Saturday morning.

I have been going to Hershey since 1970 and only missed a few years due to overseas military service. This year was the first time I was diappointed by the event. I do recognize it is a huge event that requires tremendous time and energy to plan, but since it is so huge more professional talent is needed to help the Region with organization, traffic flow, etc, all the points raised by other members' comments. Also, I am getting older and starting to feel the pain of walking for miles for 3 days, most of it past parked cars and campers, although the exercise is a positive aspect of going to Hershey! One commentator had a great idea - to organize the vendors in specialty areas.

Thanks to all those volunteers who help make the event possible - but it is time to hire proven professionals as well.

Don

Guest Leonard Shepherd

As a spectator, I really like the grass field and the long hill that the cars have to climb. I get there real early just to hear the sounds of the early engines pulling that hill. It is music to my ears. At car shows you never hear cars run. But I know it is tough on the drivers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hwellens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on all the complaints it is about time Hershey show went for 2 days. Pre-war (up to 1942) and Post-war. Shorter lines, more room for the cars. When I joined the AACA in 1964 the judging stopped at 1929, still more than 25 years old like today. Past 1929 were considered production cars. I think they had something going then. </div></div>

I hope someone pays attention to that sugestion! My first year at Hershey was 1969 and the cutoff year was 1940. This 25 years and its an "Antique" has to stop.

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hwellens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on all the complaints it is about time Hershey show went for 2 days. Pre-war (up to 1942) and Post-war. Shorter lines, more room for the cars. When I joined the AACA in 1964 the judging stopped at 1929, still more than 25 years old like today. Past 1929 were considered production cars. I think they had something going then. </div></div>

I hope someone pays attention to that sugestion! My first year at Hershey was 1969 and the cutoff year was 1940. This 25 years and its an "Antique" has to stop. </div></div>

That would sure be a great way to promote new members - have them working on their restoration and then tell them, by the way, we changed the cutoff, your no longer welcome in your 25 year old car.

No matter how old the car is , it will never be old enough for some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MR_TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing that was missed last year and this year was a small sign in the middle of Hershey Park Drive to show the entrance to the Red Field. They used to have such a sign. Last year we drove right past the entrance, as did others, resulting in having to make a turn into another street, turn around and try again. Obviously this adds to the traffic congestion. Such a simple thing, but easily overlooked (it was overlooked). In spite of some glitches, Hershey is still the biggest and the best.Fred </div></div>

We arrived Weds 7AM during the heavy fog and we saw no signs near the Giant stadium.

Yes, it's too bad that some of the planning was not as it should have been and many car show entrants waiting longer than they should have to enter the field, but it wouldn't be Hershey if there wasn't something to be concerned about!

We arrived just after the downpour on Thursday and enjoyed every minute of our all too short visit. The swap fields were well manintained and vendors said that they did well. The car corral had it's share of overpriced iron, but heck, I was only window shopping anyway!

I will agree that the car show entry needed some help. I read where professional advice was given around how to get cars onto the field and I hope the AACA seeks other assistance next year. I like cars on grass...treeless blacktop is just too sterile. And, remember folks, they ARE car and were MEANT to be driven. I know, you've got a pile of money in it's restoration and want to maintain it, but this IS Hershey, THE show of shows so once a year, bring your vintage iron out and share it with the thousands who attend. That's why we come to the show...to admire your work. Don't worry, we can see thru the dust!

I can't wait for next year!

Paul,

I have had the pleasure of bringing a vehicle to Hershey for the last four years, and over that time I have even gotten to know some of the members of the local region.

The Hershey Region has hosted this headache every year since 1955, and every year they keep putting themselves through that mental and physical abuse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The showfield was a dusty, hilly,cow pasture</div></div>

I'll take that showfield any day of that week. If you thought the showfield was bad, try going over where they make everyone park the car trailers. THAT IS TERRIBLE!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Proliferation of personal transports. Golf carts and handicapped type transports need to be resticted to those in actual need.If you display a handicap card on your vehicle then use shoud be permitted. And only electric personal transports should be allowed</div></div>

You think that is bad?? On Tuesday there was a gentleman driving through the flea market with a black Mercury Marquis who had a chocolate field vender sticker on his windshield driving through the red and chocolate fields. The problem is, when you have a group that is already maxed out for tasks, how and who is going to police everyone??

My dad and I ended up paying a Hershey Region member a few bucks to park our two car trailers on his property around the corner from the showfield. During this time, we got to see and talk to him on a daily basis, and got to learn a lot.

Saturday night this gentleman was talking about the car corrall bottleknecking the entrance into the showfield. I liked the set-up of the car corral very much, but in order to solve the problems of spectators blocking traffic, I suggested of only having cars in the car corral on one side of the driveway where the showcars enter.

I am also aware that this year they had a new chairman in charge of setting up the showfield, it was their first time, this person was going to try something different and found out on it was a learning experience, so bear with this person. I knew about this on Wednesday, most of you probably didn't know.

The bottom root of the problem is that Hershey is AACA's version of the superbowl, and everyone wants to be there. Because of this, the show has outgrown the real estate that it needs to keep up with the space.

What do you recommend??

1. Put a limit of how many cars can come into the meet??

2. Limit the number of spectators??

3. Limit the number of vendors that are selling parts that some of us are looking for??

4. Split the showfield up to where half of it is one place, while the other half is someplace else (which would be a judging and administrative nightmare)

Bear in mind that there are people who get turned away from Hershey due to early registration deadlines and they still get that crowd. If there wasn't so many people who wanted to bring their cars to Hershey, you wouldn't have the issues of people not being able to get into their cars. Hershey Region does a good job, but bear in mind that they are at the mercy of HERCO. Many of the things that have happened are in part of both HERCO and the local governement.

Are things perfect?? Nope, and they never will be, but every year they do their best to put on a good show for us, and I feel that they do a good job for the hand that gets dealt to them.

The one complaint that I had was with the idiot who was parking fire trucks. instead of having us park the trucks at the end of the row and filling it up as they came in, these guys were forced to try to squeeze the trucks in past a truck already parked and then have to jockey them around between other trucks in a very small space with a truck with no power steering and small mirrors. Needless to say I got in okay, but it was a real bear with the guys who had the bigger trucks who showed up late.

What a bunch of cry babies!! The Car show was wonderful,parking on the grass was fine. It amazes me how people lose sight of the fact that this show is a tremendous undertaking to pull off the way the Herschey team does. Remember boys this is a car show not a life & death situation. You guys are way too wrapped up in negativity IMO.

I tried to find the "split day" judging post to attach this too.

At any rate, a friend of mine has suggested that Hershey/Eastern Fall Meet become a second Grand National or, in my mind, the one and only Grand National to finish off the year of meets across the country. It would become something like the last Nascar Race to see who wins the gold or cup, if you like.

Since it's a Grand National, you'd have only invited automobiles without the <span style="font-weight: bold">"register-drive my beater to the big show guys". </span>The show field would be smaller, with more room between cars to allow spectators more room to maneuver around the show field.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Wish I had thought of it.

Wayne

This was my first year as a car show participant, but I have been a specatator for a few years so knew to expect a long delay in "the gauntlet" getting in, so brought a good runner, but even it stalled and I had to keep my foot in it in order to make it in there. I do think the value of having a route cars drive in for spectators to hang out and watch is enjoyable for everyone, car owners as well.

The ACD festival Parade of Classics used to be a gauntlet, but they have made it very easy by holding cars at the beginning of the route and spacing them out so they just drive on by slowly.

Maybe if you come up with a place everyone can go and park, get their registration packets (who waits until Sat to get this anyway?), space assignments and dash plaques, and then be released onto the parade route at a certain interval this would eliminate the back ups.

I had a great time and will definitely bring a car again next year. I thought the show was great and love the grass versus pavement. Thanks for all your hard work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32[quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Pledge of Allegiance had to be dispensed with. There just was not enough room at the tables for everyone to stand at the same time. Ridiculous! </div></div>

I want to go on record with you on this point. The first show that I attended where they had added OUR Pledge of Allegiance to the pre-breakfast activities I was so proud.

I am fifty-six years old and I grew up saying that Pledge and the Lord's Prayer every day at the beginning of our school day.

Our soldiers are fighting a war and we can't stand shoulder to shoulder at show our support? <span style="font-weight: bold">Shame on whomever decided there was not enough room. </span>

I agree there were some trouble spots with the meet but that is to be expected with a meet of this size. You cant make everybody happy! Hats off to a whole bunch of people that I will list below.

1 AACA

2 Hershey Region

3 HERCO

4 the vendors

5 all the members for bringing their beautiful automobiles

and a long list of others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried to find the "split day" judging post to attach this too.

At any rate, a friend of mine has suggested that Hershey/Eastern Fall Meet become a second Grand National or, in my mind, the one and only Grand National to finish off the year of meets across the country. It would become something like the last Nascar Race to see who wins the gold or cup, if you like.

Since it's a Grand National, you'd have only invited automobiles without the <span style="font-weight: bold">"register-drive my beater to the big show guys". </span>The show field would be smaller, with more room between cars to allow spectators more room to maneuver around the show field.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Wish I had thought of it.

Wayne </div></div>

An awesome idea if there ever was one. Two thumbs way up.

It would cut some judges out of judging there as they would not have enough credits. But with less cars to judge that should not be a problem.

Problem is, if you spaced 1200 cars out in even 30 second intervals it would take 10 hours to get all the cars onto the field. Maybe, instead of starting judging at 10 it could be moved back to 12? Would be nice if the judges breakfast was a bit later as well. We had spaces in the flea market and drove back and forth each day, living only 45 minutes from the show. Saturday morn I left the house at 5:15 intending to park on my spaces and hike over to the judges breakfast at 7:00. Lo and behold the Red Field entrance was not open at 6:00. I managed to convince a guard to let me park in the judges parking area even though I did not have a pass. I have a suggestion. Do away with the car corral. I think this feature only began in the '70s anyway. Put the cars for sale back into the flea market. I'm not even sure what this "used car lot" adds to the event anyway, other than greater traffic and congestion. By necessity Hershey will have to stop trying to be "all things to all people" or the meet is going to collapse under its own weight. Just my opinion of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Maybe, instead of starting judging at 10 it could be moved back to 12? Would be nice if the judges breakfast was a bit later as well. </div></div>

At all other meets judging starts at 11 AM. It is due to the size of the meet and the fact that sometimes judging teams will have 20 to 25 cars to judge. Be there done that. Start judging at 10AM and finished about 2PM. If we started at noon, that would have been 4PM when turning in paperwork. There would be no way judge's admin could get everything compiled in time for the banquet and if you push that back too, someone(s) getting thier award Sunday every early morning.

Most of the judges I've discussed breakfast time with would like to see it moved earlier like 6am. Not so much that we'd get out earlier but can get the eating part out of the way instead of trying to assign judging jobs and handling paper while trying to eat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it becomes a grand national they wont be an open event any where in the east. </div></div>

Yes there will be. There is the eastern spring meet, if Herhsy becomes a Gand national meet that would open up the eastern fall meet to another club to host. There is also the Southeastern spring and fall meet.

I'll have to complete this list this evening but I do know there is a AACA National Meet in Maryland. And the Southeastern Spring Meet in Charlotte, NC in erly April.

Guest my3buicks

While I actually like this idea, I can't see it ever flying as it would signifacantly cut into the overall attendence of Hershey which would cut way to far into the $$$ earned by all involved. I think in the long run it would no longer be a mecca to car collectors all over the world if this change took place.

I agree with most of what you said, except the cutoff year. The '81 Skylark was nice, (I bought one for my daughter for her first car!) and insulting owners of these newer cars as your post did, will only serve to lose members and AACA needs all the members it can get. frown.gif

10 second intervals would be more than enough if the cars weren't going to be stopped by 5 people on the way to their spot. if cars were alternated by class you wouldnt have people getting in each others way when parking. As it is it takes 3 hours or more to get everyone in, and cars are getting damaged by the grueling idling. start the process earlier, say 6:30

Just a thought from a newbie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemiragtop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a bunch of cry babies!!</div></div>

Wonder what the guy with the boiled-over/dramatically steaming (but otherwise gorgeous-looking) red 2-seat Thunderbird in the middle of the show field main aisle on Saturday might have to say...

According to the program there were 11 region members assigned to be police liaisons and 1 or 2 in charge of the show field flow itself. Maybe a few more people experienced in large shows assigned to the show field flow, along with a different route, cars being doubled up (no single lanes) and utilizing both show field road entrances would shorten the procession up substantially?

Guest Stonefish

I got over to the show EARLY for I had predicted gridlock...I felt really bad for those folks that got in the jam.

I enjoyed the show...the weather was great, the cars were great and I thought the crowds were great! The addition of the food vendors and the johns on the show field was a true positive.

I had a friend in for his first Hershey show...he'll be back and I'll always be there!

Guest my3buicks

they probably said the same thing in 1980 when they left those darn old 55 Chevies in, just more old grocery getters. Every owners car is as special to them as the Duesenberg owners is to him. If you don't like a particular era of car, close your eyes and walk past them. If you don't like a particular make, keep your mouth shut and walk past it without insulting the proud owner. Isn't this supposed to be fun? There has been some very good criticism, some good idea's, etc, it's all for the betterment of Hershey and the hobby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think the AACA is losing other members who don't really want to have to walk past 10 cars you can see in a super market parking lot to get to the one nice pre-1960 car.

</div></div>

There's an '81 Skylark in my neighborhood in mint conditon. It never leaves the garage. In 5 years I've seen it on the road twice. I haven't seen another one, mint or otherwise, in at least those 5 years.

I don't know what super-market you're shopping at, but where I come from 25 year old cars worth seeing are hard to come by, and the people who own them are proud of them and take great care of them. If they didn't, we all can guess what they'd look like in short order.

If it wasn't for people in the past like today's Skylark owner there'd be nothing to look at at Hershey. Diversity of interest is the greatest strength of the AACA. Stifling it will, in a few <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> short decades, will stifle the club. For every narrow-minded old foggie leaving the AACA because it's beneath him to be in the presence of an antique Corolla we gain a dozen people who are open-minded enough to want to associate with both Bricklins and Bugattis. smile.gif

I have no use for an '81 Skylark myself either, but thank goodness someone does and I'm glad they want to be around my cars. It means the hobby isn't quite dead yet. Here's to the '81 Skylark owner! grin.gif

Even though I own a prewar car, I agree with my3buicks on this one. If the hobby is to survive, (and it is) it must embrace the different eras. I laughed the first time I saw a Chevette on the showfield, but I still enjoyed taking a look at it.

Hopefully, valid constructive criticism will be well received and used to improve next year's Hershey experience. Hopefully everybody will keep their cool when they have disagreements about the best thing to do to continue improving Hershey. Hopefully, everybody will also remember to recognize all of the good things that have been done by Hershey Region, National AACA, and HERCO to put on this great event for all of these years.

I can hardly wait for next year!

Guest Debby Soucia

We love to look at all the cars. I tryed to start with the oldest first but they were packed so we walked all the way to the back and walked back to the old ones. We saw and talked to the Bricklin owner (1974, we have a 1975) asking all kinds of questions about the car as we have only had ours for two weeks.

Then at the trucks we taked to the owner of the milk truck and we have a laundry truck. We did this all through the field until the old ones looking for a Hupmobile, only 1936 (I think it was) nothing in 1926-27.

I think if you try to close it off to just the old cars under 1950 or so your going to lose to many people.

I can't wait until next year, Spring can't come to soon!

Hoping some day to bring our 1967 Ranchero, we did not see any of those eather.

Deby

Every car is special to it's owner - that's not my point. Also, I can appreciate any car if it is nice enough so don't paint me as a car snob. The point I'm making is that you can't have a club open to literally every car without side effects. One of those side effects is that lots (and LOTS) of people with nice teens, 20s,30s,40s, etc cars will not bring them to Hershey. There were lots of cool cars at the show and I think there would have been a lot more if there were some reasonable limits on what gets in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think if you try to close it off to just the old cars under 1950 or so your going to lose to many people.</div></div>

You're right Debby. The funny thing about it is how the memory runs short. Some of the 'old farts' who are speaking out against the "used cars" seem to forget that at one time the shoe was on the other foot back when they were the young bucks, and the "old farts" in their younger days were against their cars. If the current "old farts" didn't stand their ground back then, the club would've been dead today.

In 4 short years, the Yugo will be eligible for AACA. Do I want to see them on the showfield?? NO!! But in four years, those cars will be 25 years old, and someone will want to see one. The cars on the fields have been changing with the generations. Despite how anyone feels about it, that's what will need to continue if we want AACA to continue. The mentality of "what was good for me back then is okay, but what is good for you now is not" doesn't work.

Guest Stonefish

geez...and I'm prepping a 1983 VW Rabbit for the AACA show scene next year!

It is all relative to what cars you grew up with and first drove...sure I like to look at all the old cars...but the first car I drove was a 1980 Datsun 310 GX...would love to find one now! I would also appreciate to see someone's nice original or restored Yugo...what a task that would be!!

cars from the 80's is not an issue with AACA or the Hershey show this year...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsancle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The supermarket crack was incendiary and not what I was trying to say so I deleted it. I think what I'm trying to say is that it might not be bad idea to stop the 25 year window now and make 1982 the cut-off. It's impossible to be everything to everybody. </div></div>

It's a lost cause trying to explain anything to the owner of a Wal-Mart lot car no matter how old the owner is. They have taken over the hobby, and every year there is another wave of cars pushing the PreWarCars and their owners out. I wonder if the Hershey Region has members that just stoped working on the meet because of the Wal-Mart era car owners attitudes. Me Me Me My car is 25 years old serve me.

It seemed to me that there were way more spectators at Hershey this year than last year. I don't know how that compares to years past, as I started going last year.

Forgive me for the following sentence structure and taking this discussion out into left field, but....

I was born in 1960, so I qualify as among the last of the Baby Boom generation. As most of my peers are now coming around to the peak potential years for AACA involvement (As a group they now have enough maturity, time and money to get very active...even though I started way earlier than normal), I wonder what impact that my peer group has had recently and is going to have on the hobby.

The baby boom generation has caused... shall I say... problems... everywhere we have gone. We overcrowded schools as kids, we caused massive headaches in about every other thing we got involved in due to our sheer numbers.

I think AACA is about to see a massive growth of membership. The old car hobby is growing in my area and I suspect that it will grow elsewhere as well. As long as we recognize the problems (or shall I say potential) that we could see in large increases in attendance and membership in the coming years, we will see the hobby get better and better. As a group, we do have to work harder to be accomodating, receptive, and well prepared. My generation will have the interest and money to get involved in the old car hobby. Yes, I know that some of them are into the street rod scene, but if given the proper reception, I think you will see more of them enjoying a future with AACA. We have to continue to accept the concept of the rolling 25 year old rule. That is important to continue to be receptive to new membership.

I think the answer to problems at Hershey are to do the best with the real estate available for the event. Plan well, work the plan, admit problems when they happen, work to correct them, and always be receptive to new ideas. Somebody will have a good idea every now and then. Keep listening, and keep working together to better the hobby.

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsancle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The supermarket crack was incendiary and not what I was trying to say so I deleted it. I think what I'm trying to say is that it might not be bad idea to stop the 25 year window now and make 1982 the cut-off. It's impossible to be everything to everybody. </div></div>

It's a lost cause trying to explain anything to the owner of a Wal-Mart lot car no matter how old the owner is. They have taken over the hobby, and every year there is another wave of cars pushing the PreWarCars and their owners out. I wonder if the Hershey Region has members that just stoped working on the meet because of the Wal-Mart era car owners attitudes. Me Me Me My car is 25 years old serve me. </div></div>

AND EXACTLY WHAT IS KEEPING YOU AWAY FROM THE SHOWS?????????

Why is it pushing the old car owner out?? Do your old cars still run? if so, I can't see any reason that they can't be on the showfield other than the narrowminded attitude of the owner. Oh, I forgot, your car was ALWAYS old, right.

I spent more time looking at the old ones pre-war than I did the newer ones. I have never owned anything older than a 53, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to, but if my mind narrows the older I get, or is it the older the car I own gets, then maybe I will stick to the Wal-mart parking lot ones. Top down driving home from Hershey at 75 MPH completed a spectacular weekend. There is something to be said for modern iron ; )

post-30591-143137951996_thumb.jpg

post-30591-1431379520_thumb.jpg