Sign in to follow this  
Paul Falabella

2007 Hershey Show Sat.10/13

I was extremely disappointed in this years outing. At 10 o'clock a great number of vehicle were not yet in position. Pedestrians and vehicles shared the same route to enter the showfield.A narrow road a mile from most parking. The showfield was a dusty, hilly,cow pasture(this ain't 1960!).I heard several owners still trying to find their spot say,"Never again"at noon. Show field should be on paved surface as in recent past.

New topic. Proliferation of personal transports. Golf carts and handicapped type transports need to be resticted to those in actual need.If you display a handicap card on your vehicle then use shoud be permitted. And only electric personal transports should be allowed. Some of these vehicled emit more pollutants than the the cars!

New topic. Thought should be given to putting a cap on year of manufacture. Come on a K-car! '81 Skylark! AMC Concord. 1975 would be a good year to quit at. And maybe some thought shoud be given to displaying vehicles chronologically and alphabetically to make ones favorite era and make easier to find.

Just venting here,never in 25 years have I had a non weather related bad outing. Some issues do need to be addressed. Thanks for listening

Paulk F. Garden City, NY

I had a great time at the show. The entry and exit to the vending fields was very well done by friendly people directing us. Did you have trouble with entry to the judging field with your car or were you a spectator to the event that the club members registered for. Most concours and judging events are on grass and there was more space between the cars than when they were on asphalt. That made for better pictures and less chance for damage to vehicles parked like they used to be on the parking lot. This event is sponsored by the AACA for their members to display their cars and vend their parts. The public is invited to view the entire event. The hundreds of volunteers at the event worked very hard and I am sure there will be feedback from registered participants for improvement for next year. Thanks to all the club member volunteers who worked so hard to put this event on.

Excause me packards, did you attend the same show as I? The previous coments where vary generous. NEVER again will eather of my cars grace the fields of hershey untill its back on the event center where it belongs. The narrow road was a cow path about a mile long. it took me an hr. and twentw min. to get almost to my class befor my buick got so hot it quit. A few min. latter a pretty t/bird blew a rad. across th path from me.Coolent flew steam gushed and I wondered was I back in Nam??We where not the only ones to have this problem, as I saw several including a beautiful 70 Chevelle gran nat. that was screaming at the vol. I did feel sorry for the vol., it wasnt there fault. One owner told me it took longer to enter the show pasture than it took to drive from Scranton. I dare Hershey to dispute what I say.No, I did not win after all that and Im not supprised, but to be cheated out of an award by two vech. with Radial tires in the trunk and add on duel master cyls.is pretty sad. I must say both cars where vary pretty with all the powdere coat on the inner fenders and chrome under the hood. To bad one didnt take the time to plug the holes in the inner fender. Must be they where so shiny they blinded the judges.Mine wher only simi closs as they came from the fac. I wanted to write this yesterday but in truth I was so upset I felt I might not be fair. Thanks for leting me vent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul Falabella</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

New topic. Proliferation of personal transports. Golf carts and handicapped type transports need to be resticted to those in actual need.If you display a handicap card on your vehicle then use shoud be permitted. And only electric personal transports should be allowed. Some of these vehicled emit more pollutants than the the cars!</div></div>

Two guys in a loud 1956 Ford Fairlane musical 'golf cart' with a disabled tag prominently displayed in the windshield argued with a traffic volunteer who denied them access to the show car route. (Good for her)

We observed these two ample bodied characters walk over 1/4 mile one way on foot until they were out of sight, then they returned all smiles with a permission slip and were waved through. Later we saw them cruising the flea market with their noise maker blaring bee-bop tunes.

There were problems. That is a fact! The Fall Meet Chairman apologized to everyone at the banquet and told them that they would begin to work on a fix right away. This year again there was a new footprint for the meet and the professional advice on the traffic flow was wrong pure and simple.

The national club recognized those problems and a few more and will be offering assistance to the region if needed.

The rules state that golf carts, etc. must be electric. However, if any of you have ever read the American Disabilities Act you will quickly understand that we are regulated by Federal Law. Secondly, while it may appear that some people do not seem handicapped that they have conditions that are not easily be detected. Then you have the unscrupulous people who get a handicapped permit under false circumstances.

Personally, I like cars on grass versus blacktop and would never hesitate to enter a show under those conditions. The site was on a former golf course that was open just three years ago and it was not THAT hilly. Again, some people prefer a flat antiseptic parking lot but I don't. The plan is for the area that the show was on to be paved some day but that is still awaiting approval. In the future it will be just another parking lot.

The fact is that the show requires thousands and thousands of hours all year around by a dedicated region who do this for free for all of us to enjoy. It is hard to please everyone but hopefully they will get the problems of 2007 fixed.

In the meantime, Tuesday through Friday were pretty great (even with the little rain)!

Guest my3buicks

I have to agree with many of the above comments - as a 28 year verteran of Hershey, I can state that this was the worst that I have been to for the "car show" itself(non weather realted). Winding the cars down thru the "car corral" was in itself poor planning, the backup and the ensueing overheating issues had by many was inexcusable. There were more pedestrans walking on the "

parade route" than cars driving on it. I observed more modern cars and trucks and trailers driving on the same "path" than I have ever observed before. That also made for backups as the volunteers tried to get them out of the way.

Yes, concours shows are on grass, but this was far from a concours type area. It was a mowed up field, period. My spot was an area that the grass had been reapired, so I sat on a slightly muddy area that is still embedded in my tires after the 4 hour drive home. How about the fire department coming thru screaming at car owners to move there cars from the graveled access lane, and at the same time screaming, "we told the AACA not to park cars here" These poor car owners that had set up and cleaned and detailed for judging were forced to move their car to wherever they could find a spot to squeeze. The dust was horrific, I felt bad for many of the owners of fine classics sitting by the front of the field by the "porta-johns" where the dust was THICK!!!! To think that while all these fine show vehicles sat in the dust, the venders and car corral sat on the pavement. Kinda is ironic to see a vender with his beat up old bus, 2 old axles, a couple hubcaps, and a peddle bike sitting pretty on the pavement while the cars got trashed.

The show also seemed to be an afterthought, even the location seemed like an afterthought. Could it be any further away from the center of activities?

I heard MANY car owners say this was the last time they would bring a car to Hershey.

This WAS NOT the organized Hershey of past.

The Hershey region needs to realize that the cas make Hershey, if it wasn't for the cars, there would be no need for the venders, or any other aspect.

Another issue that bothered me personally. I drove in on Friday with the car I was showing (luckily not a high point show car) but very nice non-the-less. It would be nice to have a designated area for cars that are REGISTERED for the show to park prior to the Saturday show. I had to park out in the middle of the hayfield with daily drivers, trucks, etc.

I realize this is a monumental task to perform each year, I urge the Hershey Region to take care of the show cars before they take car of anything else.

I will also thank the Hershey Region for again giving us the best car event in the world.

Got to go out now and find my car under it's thick layer of brown dust.

Well, I'm home still hurting from the over exercised feet, thankfully, it was a grass field. Like Steve, the grass is very appealing to me. It's never actually rained on this show field, so whether we're lucky or what, we still don't know how it would hold up under bad weather.

I felt very sorry for those show cars that arrived late. Other Dfer's and I were speaking of actually using the 2 driveways to bring the show cars in. They did that last year with some of the commercial vehicles. The spectator traffic caused real problems for the show cars trying to get on the field, maybe more restrictive walkways? About that, let me say, this year had more spectators than I've ever seen at my few years on the show field. And for the most part they were all respectful of each other.

As is always expected at a large successful show, the more successful it is, the more people you have viewing everything. I haven't heard a single person complain about too many flea vendors, so why complain about too many cars. The more, the merrier I always say.

Wayne

Keith, I respect the role all of our Fire Departments play in guarding the public safety. It will be interesting to find out who "in AACA" they ever consulted in planning the show field. Very interesting! My guess it will be no one in the Region or no one at HERCO as the showfield map was done quite sometime ago. The region consciously moved away from using the gravel road as a entrance and exit to avoid stone chips, etc.

The fact is that the complaints are legitimate and when you have problems or mistakes all you can do is try and fix them. I know by my emails and calls that we have a lot of work to do to repair the unhappiness of Saturday. I can only hope people are generous in their spirit and give the Region and AACA another chance.

Steve, you sir are a master of the understatement.Problems, PROBLEMS!!!!!? You are in the wrong field. You should have been a politian maby evan anouther bush. Only problem there is you are a man of your word and a person that keeps his word. Believe me your dedication. hard work and (small maricals) you know what Im talking about, are appreciated. The question was asked in anouther post if the flea mkt. was more importiant than the show.I say follow the money.Im told there about 10,000 vendor spots at hershey. I have 5. At 70 bucks a pop.I cant evan total that amount weith my free aarp calulator. Now take maby twelve - fifteen hundred clasics at thirty bucks a pop wellll, just follow the money.I do owe I think it was the chefe judje I expressed my frustrations to an appoligy, evan though he agreed with me that the show should have been at the event center. HMMMM cant have that, it was the green field look at all those hundreds of 70$ spots we would loose. Want the show on grass??? How about the large flat level field where we parked the hundreds of spectator cars andf thje large field next to it where the judges parking was 3 or 4 years ago. Mow it nice and make it the show field.Gosh once again my stupid side is showing. I plum forgot about all those 10 doller bills we get from the spectators cars. One last topic,and this is ment only I say again only for the gentelman with the burnt orange vett. that was sreaming at the lady in the blue chevelle,if you are reading this you owe her and the 2 spectators that stoped me a big thankyou.I was 3 cars behind her when you through your childish temper tantrum she is my wife,as a former military instructor of hand to hand and a combat vett of nam, I ment to XXX XXX all the way back to the starting gate.

My impression is that this year's Hershey was a mixed bag, with more good than bad.

Positive: Beautiful weather except Thursday morning. Lots of activity around the HCCA tent in the flea market, including a wonderful send-off for Harold Sharon. My son sold his Model A. I bought four new all-grays and an '11 Stanley (no, not the one in the flea market). The show area was beautiful; I much prefer seeing cars on grass than in a parking lot (contingent on good weather, which we were fortunate to have). As I threatened we would do in a prior post, my son and I drove up from Lititz (28 miles) in just over an hour in his 1909 EMF and my 1906 Buick, and had a beautiful ride up and back. Since my car wasn't being judged and I don't walk as well as I once did, I spent a lot of time sitting in my Buick with the top down, and got a lot of interested spectators asking (mostly) good questions.

Negative: Getting into the judging field. We easily drove west on Hershey Park Drive to within about 20 car-lengths of the entrance to the park. It took 15 minutes to go those 20 car-lengths, and another half-hour-plus to get parked. We had to detour past several stalled trailer queens, in addition to the pedestrians and corral cars mentioned in prior posts. Two-cylinder cars with total-loss oil systems don't like long idles, so from time to time I had to rev up a bit (a bit being all the revs it's got) to clear the engine. This belched oily smoke all over some very nice show cars, for which I apologize to the owners - they didn't like being there any more than I did! Much as I like having show cars on grass, I'd much rather have them on pavement if it would avoid the delay. The really annoying thing, to me, was that last year there was a similar interminable delay. I remember announcements that the mandatory 10 a.m. arrival time cut-off would be waived. Did no one learn from a year ago?

This is in no way intended to denigrate the hard work of the Hershey volunteers. I've often said I was glad I didn't live near Hershey - I'd have to spend all year working on the show instead of enjoying my cars, as I'm sure many Hershey Region members must. And I thank them!

Thanks to the volunteers and those that put on this show. It is a major international classic that would not happen without them and I appreciate their considerable effort.

Thursday was cold and miserable and the first time I ever attended on a non car show day and although I thought I'd die of hypothermia, I was able to relax, hike in the rain in my poncho and enjoy the flea market and visit with old friends. Thursday turned out to be a great day. I brought a car Saturday, enjoyed the show, and expect to come back next year with a car. Based on the fact that the purpose of AACA is the preservation of old cars, here are my comments on Saturday.

1. Parking cars close together (long rant)

I showed cars in more than a dozen shows this summer between Gilmores and Larz Andersons and only one time, this last weekend, did I have to park so close the doors could bang on the car next to you. (even Macungie was acceptable this year) I understand its a long tradition and a part of Hershey that cars are so close that a judge can not do an interior inspection without someone holding the door and that spectators can not pass between cars and that there is no room for a wheel chair to pass between cars, and you only have so much room for cars, and "I need to pack them in to have room for everyone comming", blah blah blah... Its a tradition Hershey should do away with. All I'm asking for is 42 inches between cars or increase from an eight foot wide space to a ten feet wide. I saw plenty of open space around the show to make up that 25%.

2. Getting cars on the show field. You need to park about 1200 cars in two hours or one every six seconds. I did not study the bottleneck getting into the show, but I'll bet a contributor was the density of cars. Cars were held up by the car ahead of them backing up and pulling ahead and getting a little closer so you can be sure your doors bang because "I need to pack them in to have room for everyone comming".

3. The placement of cars. Splitting the classes up by the so called main street on the map looked good, but turns the show layout into a hodge podge. Keep the classes together so the show field does not look like a Walmart parking lot with people taking pictures.

4. Placement of vendors Instead of putting the soda fountain and hot dog vendors in the middle and the cars to the edges, move the vendors to the edges and keep the cars the focus.

5. Coffee. Although the food lines were long and slow, I enjoyed my hot dog with the toasted bun and the crab sandwich was great, but the one vendor selling coffee lost the technology on how to make it and could not give a time for having coffee done. I'll bring a thermos next year.

6. Grass. I liked the grass and understand there may be people that debate me on this one but the car show was probably a better use of the grass than golf. smile.gif If it had rained we could have set up chairs watching the guys in the halftrack tow antiques through the mud. That would have been as entertaining as watching farm tractors tow Surburbans and car trailers a few years ago. Grass is fine for small shows with multiple ways in and out, but may not be right in the long term for Hershey. I think Hershey has been lucky for the last two years.

7. Problems with dust. Like a lot of people, I don't run my car much and work hard keeping it looking good, but I got no problems with a little dust. And believe me, it was a little dust. The ground got soaked Thursday. Imagine the dust if it had been dry. Its a car. Take it home and give it a bath.

8. Leaving. When I left the field I was sent to the right, to a road block manned by a cop asleep in his car and no signs. It was a chance to ride around Hershey a bit in my old car and as long as I kept within view of the roller coaster I knew I'd find my trailer. Hershey was lovely. See you next year.

Bill

I've been lucky enough to attend this terrific show for 35 consecutive years and have seen many changes - some good and some not so good - (and I'm only 43 years old). Before I say my thoughts, I must commend the Hershey Region for doing an overall great job once again!

I agree there were some serious issues with the location of the car corral and the show entrance/location but this is what happens when the show gets bigger and bigger every year. Cutting the car age might be a good idea to allow for more older cars. I don't know what else to suggest other than to reduce the number of flea market vendors - (or relocate them somewhere) to make room for the car corral and show cars, which really do make the event special.

"jammer" it was an understatement but by my nature I do not like to spend a significant time on the past which cannot be changed. The measure of a person or organization is what they do when presented with a problem. I think the letters to the region and national will be substantial and that is sad but we cannot change anything! I just took a few minutes off for lunch and saw the region leadership. They have already met this morning to start the process of fixing the negative issues of this year.

As far as the math of the meet is concerned, make sure you factor in the COST of holding the meet! It is monumental. The customers of the region (fleas and corral folks) are on the grounds in many cases from Tuesday thru Saturday. They deserve consideration as well.

I will beg off for awhile since all of us are pretty exhausted. I hope that people will just temper their anger. Remember, many of these volunteers never get to go to the flea market, corral or car show since they have to WORK! Oh yea, they are highly compensated with a hat and a meal ticket! Even my staff (bless them) work from BEFORE sun up to 5:30 or so and are on their feet non-stop. One of our ladies has worked for us over 20 years, handles our judging program yet has never been to the show before until this year.

I try not to be a apologist nor a fault finder. I think in order to make YOUR club better we need to always be moving forward. Negative comments are constructive and they will be addressed. We are all a bit shocked by the problems that occurred.

FJD, cutting the show car age will not happen!

The AACA is trying it's best to bring in new young car hobbists. I even saw a Chevy Vega yesterday, and immediately thought of DaveMoon warning members that these types of cars will be on the show field at some point in time. So, here they are! They may not appeal to all, but then this is not a marque club. We're open to all and every vehicle 25 Years and older! smile.gif

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Remember, many of these volunteers never get to go to the flea market, corral or car show since they have to WORK! Oh yea, they are highly compensated with a hat and a meal ticket! Even my staff (bless them) work from BEFORE sun up to 5:30 or so and are on their feet non-stop. One of our ladies has worked for us over 20 years, handles our judging program yet has never been to the show before until this year. </div></div>

This year, every time I saw a volunteer, I tried to consider that these folks give up their Hershey every year so we can have a good time. Amazing ! It is appreciated !

Dear Wayno,Seeing those Packards and Zephyr 3 window under a layer of dust enough to make you cry YES.Woodchuck holes and uneven ground trying to turn your ankle YES.SEEING that Rolls Royce convertible coupe and telling the owner that i had never seen one before and him responding that it's the ONLY one in the world,PRICELESS.THIS show is without any question in my mind simply the BEST.diz

Steve, hats off to you and your group, I think this is one of those things that is easy to kvetch about but would be daunting if the shoe were on the other foot. From a flea market vendor's viewpoint the AACA has made great strides in making the process easier for vendors to get on the lots, get set up and get out at the end. My friends and I talked about how much more accomodating the officials are for vendors, how the meet doesn't turn into a mud pit after a rain like we had on Thursday (I don't even pack my mudders any more), how we get on the field earlier on Tuesday AM, no more mysterious "all clear to go" wait.

I do miss the chronology of the past car show arrangement where you could see all of the cars from the distance and see the brass buggies flow into the sea of model-T black metal flow into the multi-colored 20's cars and so on--I haven't really figured out the lay of the new grass field, some is chronological, maybe I should look at a map from an eagle-eye perspective.

Thanks, Hershey region for a big job well done.

Seeing old friends is cool too, Dizz! Sorry we didn't have more time together. You need to come to Philly, more laid back time!

Oh, and unlike that other year, no one gave me a finger because I was carrying a stupid sign! crazy.gifgrin.gif

post-31395-143137951542_thumb.jpg

Would this idea be possible?

I noticed lots of vendors packing up and leaving on Friday afternoon. How about having one vendor field (pick one) that must be vacated by Friday evening? This way, a field will be empty and available for the car show. I was walking the Chocolate field on Friday afternoon. I couldn't believe the traffic jam of vendors heading out. By Saturday morning there was wide open spaces in every field. If all of the vendors that left on friday where in one field, there would have been plenty of room to have the show. I realize this is easier said than done crazy.gif

I do want to thank the AACA & the Hershey Region for the hard work it take to put on such a huge event smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1. Parking cars close together (long rant)

I showed cars in more than a dozen shows this summer between Gilmores and Larz Andersons and only one time, this last weekend, did I have to park so close the doors could bang on the car next to you. (even Macungie was acceptable this year) I understand its a long tradition and a part of Hershey that cars are so close that a judge can not do an interior inspection without someone holding the door and that spectators can not pass between cars and that there is no room for a wheel chair to pass between cars, and you only have so much room for cars, and "I need to pack them in to have room for everyone comming", blah blah blah... Its a tradition Hershey should do away with. All I'm asking for is 42 inches between cars or increase from an eight foot wide space to a ten feet wide. I saw plenty of open space around the show to make up that 25%.

</div></div>

It's been this way for as long as I can remember. Most friends I have refuse to bring cars to this show for that reason. However, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of others willing to bring cars. To label Saturday a "fiasco" would be generous.

As for the golf carts, it was always my perception that having one had more to do with who you knew then any disability.

A.J.

Wayne you are right and I must admit that evan as upsit as I was Sat. I took the time to recrut anouther member I just hope he sends in the form I gave him.

The only thing that was missed last year and this year was a small sign in the middle of Hershey Park Drive to show the entrance to the Red Field. They used to have such a sign. Last year we drove right past the entrance, as did others, resulting in having to make a turn into another street, turn around and try again. Obviously this adds to the traffic congestion. Such a simple thing, but easily overlooked (it was overlooked). In spite of some glitches, Hershey is still the biggest and the best.

Fred

exactly, i drive my car, this is why i dont show it a Hershey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my3buicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Another issue that bothered me personally. I drove in on Friday with the car I was showing (luckily not a high point show car) but very nice non-the-less. It would be nice to have a designated area for cars that are REGISTERED for the show to park prior to the Saturday show. I had to park out in the middle of the hayfield with daily drivers, trucks, etc.

</div></div>