Should we have a "What's it worth" section?

While it's not frequent, it does happen with some regularity that a person (usually a first timer) post in the Discussion section "what's my XXX worth" (or more recently "Is it worth restoring my truck?"), or some similar query.  I enjoy reading the responses, but several members put serious effort into responding only to by jilted and the OP is never heard from again (not always but mostly) and all the efforts are for nought.  Would it be better if these types of post were in their own section?  Then responses may be more measured or at least the responders may be more introspective on how much they want to respond, and this may (or may not) weed out the "one and done" posts.

Just a thought.

Robert

• Like 1

Im not sure something like that would not come without its share of controversy. The 'not mine for sale' is nice in that we can all critique cars and asking prices and not hurt anyones feelings. It may be different if I come on and ask how much is my car worth and get hit with low ball pricing. 

Also I dont want to pander to one and done posters. If someone is sincere about their old car and not just wanting a value for a quick sale, they need to stick around for a while and contribute something.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This isn't as simple as it seems, in my opinion. I think if we did that we would have to restrict access to AACA members only and have a very clear process. There are different types of values out there for different purposes, in many cases 50% or more different and all could be "right". Plus, you'd have to identify the market you're selling in, etc. 

Edited by zdillinger (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I don't think it would accomplish much as there are just too many variables there. You want a part identified, a picture, a size, a part number, someone might know exactly what it fits. What's it worth? It's worth whatever somebody will pay you for it. With the more common parts, with maybe 6 or 8 of the exact same item on Ebay at any given time, the lowest priced ones will get sold. Other one of a kind obscure items might be worth $XXX but if no market exists for it, it won't sell at all. What will happen is a greedy Ebay reseller will ask what something's worth, someone will take the time to reply that it's worth $50 but the Ebay reseller will still go fishing anyway, list it at $250 and keep dropping the price over a period of time. A year later, he might accept that $50 figure it was worth in the first place. Sellers have their own inflated ideas anyway of what their part is worth, let them do their own research and figure it out. We don't need a thread like that, it's just another topic that will be hijacked and go off in a bunch of different directions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

There are many sources for obtaining the value of an old car. There are organizations that provide values based on levels of condition, recent sales, and other criteria. There are listings and social media platforms that can be easily researched to further determine a car's value. A buyer should be able to judge, by himself or with assistance, what a car might need to bring it to the level he might desire, and other resources, personal and public, to help determine the costs involved, if any, in bringing the subject car up to whatever level the potential buyer wishes.

As well intentioned as forum members might be, there will always be a wide range of opinions, educated and not, as to values. Cautionary notes, suggestions as to what to consider, pitfalls, horror stories and such are always part of the responses as well as success stories and happy endings. 

In my opinion, the forum is not the place to offer opinions on car values other than in the "Not Mine" section, which can also be a valuable guide to researching car prices.

My opinion:  No.

We have so many disparate sections already.

The occasional request can be answered in

one of the existing sections.  Many of these

questioners are fairly new to the hobby, or

heirs of a hobbyist.  AACA members are

happy to help people.

• Like 1

I don't mind rendering my dubious opinions on value to somebody who just pops in to ask. Maybe they're not part of the hobby. Yet. Maybe they're just curious, or maybe their uncle is in the nursing home and has some old car tucked away in the garage. I'm not going to write an appraisal, but I might give them an opinion or steer them to a value guide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think there should be a pinned FAQ post with some general information and a few links, for those who are simply clueless about an inherited car or some such situation. Some of these people really could use a few common sense tips. So  that when anyone posts such questions, they can simply be directed to that post, without having to repeat the same things over and over. 

10 hours ago, Big Beat said:

I think there should be a pinned FAQ post with some general information and a few links, for those who are simply clueless about an inherited car or some such situation. Some of these people really could use a few common sense tips. So  that when anyone posts such questions, they can simply be directed to that post, without having to repeat the same things over and over. 

Add those "no title" questions too!

• Thanks 1

I apologize for stating the obvious, but…

… I’m not sure people asking such dumb questions are smart enough to look for, let alone find a section dedicated solely for such dumb questions (And yes, contrary to common belief, I know there are plenty of dumb questions or at least I encounter/hear/read some almost daily).

If anything, perhaps there should be an auto generated reply with something like “It’s worth whatever somebody will pay you for it” which would pop up & promptly lock the thread whenever such dumb question is posted and regardless of which forum section it is posted in. 

OTOH, I do find it mind boggling to see some “regulars” put any, let alone a lot of effort trying to answer such dumb questions. One would think years of experience had taught them better by now.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
20 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Yet, here we are!🙂

Ben

Thank you Ben.

I was expecting that. 🙂

P.S. Sorry about the edits in my initial comment.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, TTR said:

… I’m not sure people asking such dumb questions are smart enough to look for, let alone find a section dedicated solely for such dumb questions (And yes, contrary to common belief, I know there are plenty of dumb questions or at least I encounter/hear/read some almost daily).

If anything, perhaps there should be an auto generated reply with something like “It’s worth whatever somebody will pay you for it” which would pop up & promptly lock the thread whenever such dumb question is posted and regardless of which forum section it is posted in. 

OTOH, I do find it mind boggling to see some “regulars” put any, let alone a lot of effort trying to answer such dumb questions. One would think years of experience had taught them better by now.

I agree with everything you said. You hit the proverbial nail on the head.  I think your last paragraph was the reason I asked the question in the first place. It seems to me that these posts occur semi-regularly and the responders fall into the same trap every time of trying to be helpful and then getting upset the OP not only didn't take the advice, but had the gall to never come back! I was wondering if a dedicated section would allow the responders a chance to ruminate before jumping in with both feet to help. All good intentions, but seeing (reading) their level of frustration afterwards was a repeated downer for me.

Robert

• Like 1

AACA members are experienced car fans.

We strive to be helpful.  So when novices

approach us, we don't consider questions "dumb."

In every field, some people know more than others.

If we were looking to buy land, might we not consult

someone for knowledgeable advice?  If I inherited

my grandmother's Cliche paperweight, might I not

want to have an idea of its value?  If I were acquiring

a rare baseball card,  might I want to verify that it's genuine?

We have hearts, and use them!

While we're on the subject, can you guys tell me what this Model A Ford is worth and how much it'd cost to restore it? The 98 year old owner says he's going to fix it up some day but I think he might sell for the right price. It's also 2000 miles from my home and I'll need an affordable transporter to get it here.          Yes, I'm joking!

What is this? Ford Model A? - Model A - Antique Automobile Club of America  - Discussion Forums

2 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

While we're on the subject, can you guys tell me what this Model A Ford is worth and how much it'd cost to restore it? The 98 year old owner says he's going to fix it up some day but I think he might sell for the right price. It's also 2000 miles from my home and I'll need an affordable transporter to get it here.          Yes, I'm joking!

What is this? Ford Model A? - Model A - Antique Automobile Club of America  - Discussion Forums

Throw in a can of "ACME Miracle wax" and you will have a award winning multi million dollar car!

laughing-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif

2 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

...tell me what this Model A Ford is worth and how much it'd cost to restore it?

Yes, I'm joking!

People outside of our hobby may have

no idea.  We know the prospect is ridiculous,

but the challenge is to answer respectfully.

We've all heard the statement, "There are no

dumb questions."  Educated questioners may

come back with more realism next time and

be ready to enter the hobby.

2 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Yes, I always answer those who have less knowledge than I to the best of my ability if I think I can be helpful. This was just a joke aimed at you guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have people ask me weekly" what's my car worth? " As I did do appraisals and sales for a long time someone usually tells them to reach me. Mostly because the 1st person they asked knows the inquirer  is living in LaLa Land thinking they have B-J top quality collector cars. Reality is they are #4 or less close to junk status. Or they have already listed it a year ago for pie in the sky pricing and finally the wife is getting impatient because she's already spent the money on designer clothes.

Most of them are not happy with real world prices and insist on getting the ludicrous over inflated value that they made up along with their beer drinking buddies while watching Mecum or B-J.

So now I have to decline about 90% of those requests. Just today a woman has asked me again to appraise a rather stodgy, rusty, bondo'd up Mercury for the 4th time. Some idiot at a cruise nite told it was a $20,000 car. Maybe real money =$6500, but not from me. So again she started arguing with me telling me it has Mickey Thompson tires and they are rare and valuable. Sheesh!

Delusion is real!

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The problem is quite a few of the "what's it worth" questions are "one hit wonders" as they often never respond with at a minimum of a "thanks".

The flip side of the coin is casual or serious flippers flipping stuff or even spammers posing "whats it worth" questions with generic pictures that often look like they were lifted.

Then you now have AI "bots" posing as people floating around posting bunches of what's it worth questions..

Just no real easy way to filter out the nonsense clogging up the forum and wasting one's time and energy..

• Like 1

Anyone that doesn't mind answering dumb questions all day long might want to consider becoming a parts vendor at some of the major Eastern swap meets. That's too much......I can't pay......Is that the best.....Would ya take......They're only $_  apiece over in.....How 'bout I give you $1 for both of 'em? And ya don't mind if I use your toilet do ya?

• Like 1
On 7/31/2024 at 6:11 AM, TAKerry said:

Im not sure something like that would not come without its share of controversy. The 'not mine for sale' is nice in that we can all critique cars and asking prices and not hurt anyones feelings. It may be different if I come on and ask how much is my car worth and get hit with low ball pricing. 

Also I dont want to pander to one and done posters. If someone is sincere about their old car and not just wanting a value for a quick sale, they need to stick around for a while and contribute something.

I was contacted by a Facebook user who was upset about comments made on his listing. I posted his car on here, and he ether saw it, or someone told him it was posted here. I went back and looked at the post, I made no comment about the listing. Others commented on issues with the listing. So this person stated he knows who I am, and he sent a copy of my Facebook profile. Kind of silly when you think about it. I never use a user name. My name is beside every comment I make on the internet. So rather than read the comments made by others and improve his listing. To better help his sale. It is easier to slam me, because I brought attention to his listing, that might actually help sell his car.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The 55er said:

Anyone that doesn't mind answering dumb questions all day long might want to consider becoming a parts vendor at some of the major Eastern swap meets. That's too much......I can't pay......Is that the best.....Would ya take......They're only $_  apiece over in.....How 'bout I give you $1 for both of 'em? And ya don't mind if I use your toilet do ya?

I suppose that's why I don't mind answering dumb questions. I've had good training at the swap meets. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Can we see the other side of it?

Need more pictures to make an adequate judgement. 

On 8/1/2024 at 11:59 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I USUALLY scroll on by.   Usually.   Sometimes I just can't help myself.😁

Ben

Well, sometimes it happens even to the best of us. 😜

19 hours ago, pkhammer said:

I suppose that's why I don't mind answering dumb questions. I've had good training at the swap meets. 😁

Aah, I knew there was more to why I got tired of attending them +/-30 years ago. 🤔

On 8/1/2024 at 8:34 AM, TTR said:

… I know there are plenty of dumb questions or at least I encounter/hear/read some almost daily

To illustrate this ^^, just about 15 hrs ago, a long time good friend & former client, retired (85 y.o.) doctor called and asked if I would be available “tomorrow” (= today) as he would like to come by my shop and talk to me about something, but based on some hints, I suspect it will entail fairly dumb question/request.

OTOH, now I can be ready for it and hopefully able to offer a more diplomatic response I gave to another longer time 86 y.o. friend few days ago after he called, asking  me to come over to his house and help him understand how come his new flaring tool set wasn’t producing expected results. 
While my response could be summarized in three words, Harbor “fn**ing” Freight, I also told him to either return that cheap/crap set for refund or throw it into dumpster (whichever he deemed easier and more cost effective) and I’ll come over at his convenience with my tools to flare, form & install the lines for him, free of charge (like I did +/-30 years ago for the same ‘67 pickup he bought new and is now trying to “restore” before handing it over to his daughter who’s same age as the truck).

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Most people asking ‘What’s it worth?’ are usually fishing for validation. They often already own the car (many having just bought it) and are trying to justify their purchase. Many have already decided on a value and are looking for agreement. They often argue that their 1984 four-door Whatsit is rare due to a unique combination of color, engine, interior, and accessories, making it ‘one of a kind.’

For those who are genuinely seeking information, they want our opinion on a car first and its potential value before deciding to buy or sell.

I don’t think we need another forum specifically for ‘What’s it worth?’ questions. These discussions can be posted in the general forum or the relevant marquee forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1