Stangchero

The thread title was intriguing. So I had to look.

Now, I proudly proclaim that my real interests in collector cars is all pre1930. But I can appreciate later stuff. I am surprised at how nicely done this appears to be. It actually looks good to me.

But then I guess I don't worship early Mustangs.

• Like 5

I'd drive it. If it had the six in it, it would make a great little grocery getter, parts chaser, or perfect for running errands to the bank, post office, etc. 

• Like 3

If its real, its kinda neat. Looks like a tailgate but not sure how it would open with the tailights in place and also looks like a high mount 3rd brake light which didnt come into vogue until '86 or so. I may be over analyzing after seeing so many good photoshops. It does make a nice looking Ute though. Theres a guy up the road from me a bit that did the same thing to a nova. Unfortunately it was not done with a great degree of skill. 

• Like 1

Way back in junior high school I got a set of X-Acto tools for Christmas. One of its first victims was a 67 Mustang fastback model kit, which I promptly turned into a 1/25 scale version of this. Painted it bright copper with a red interior.

Considering my then-limited body filler skills it didn't turn out bad. They got better once I discovered body shop glazing putty worked better than the stuff AMT made.

Mine was more a surf buggy since I never bothered to make a panel between the interior and the ute bed.

I have no idea whatever happened to it. It probably got tossed in one of my mama's housecleaning purges after I moved out. She never did respect my stuff that much.

• Like 3

I think I prefer the OPs fast back over the coupes.

Fastbacks are more desirable right?

I want to be different just like everyone else.

• Haha 5

I like 'em!😎 Ranchero and ElCamino both, and these other little anomalous trucklets.

The trouble, especially with ElCamino, is they've almost ALWAYS been messed with and "personalized", and then it takes time and money to undo Previous Owner's Stamp.

That's before you ever get into the amateur wiring repair most of them suffer from. I hate correcting other peoples' wiring buggery. "Ommm, Ah gotta find me hot wahr unna here..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I read the "Stangchero" in the title and I said, "I don't think I want to see this"...but I looked anyway. I was right. I didn't want to see this.😄

Still, it looks interesting enough for Ford to maybe consider it. I wonder if they did? In my humble opinion, most DIY projects like this fail in the details more than the concept. That first Mustang looks awkward mostly because the rear window has a "Home Depot" kind of appearance. Incongruous with the rest of the car. The rest of it isn't so bad. 

I don't think it has a tailgate, looks like body filler cracks from where the deck lid was grafted in.

Reminds me of the Audi truck Matt Harwood had for awhile.

I like the Pierce Arrow, the LaSallle, the 57 Buick and the Mercedes.   The Porsche missed the target.

They all suffer from the same ailment, no real traction.  Last weekend I tried to tow a 28 Model A Roadster up

my driveway with the El Camino, just spun the tires.   57 Ranchero was no better.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 7th Son said:

1961 Mercedes-Benz 190-B Auto Barn Classic Cars, 40% OFF

MB Ponton were made as pickups (~bakkie) in South Africa

http://www.mbzponton.org/pax058/people/bakkie2/perold.htm

http://www.mbzponton.org/pax058/people/photogalleryvariants.htm#historical perspective

Several hundred were built between 1956 and 1958.  Local assembly of Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicles started in East London in January 1958, which allowed more units to be imported and the necessity for continuing with the 180D pick-up therefore disappeared.

As far as I am aware, there are two versions of this pick-up;  The South African version which is recognizable by the gap between the cab and the load-bin, the spare wheel is situated behind the left seat inside the cab.  The Binz version does not have the gap between cab and load-body and the spare wheel is stored in a compartment below the tailgate.  I don't know how many of the Binz versions were imported to South Africa but I have seen a few running around, but I definitely prefer the body lines of our local version.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 10:35 AM, rocketraider said:

I like 'em!😎 Ranchero and ElCamino both, and these other little anomalous trucklets.

The trouble, especially with ElCamino, is they've almost ALWAYS been messed with and "personalized", and then it takes time and money to undo Previous Owner's Stamp.

That's before you ever get into the amateur wiring repair most of them suffer from. I hate correcting other peoples' wiring buggery. "Ommm, Ah gotta find me hot wahr unna here..."

Both are pretty stock, the 1981 ElCamino is a total survivor 305 V8.   I'm the third old man owner since new.   Only 170,000 miles, always garaged.

The 57 Ranchero had a 1961 390 T-Bird engine otherwise a stock Canadian built car with Fairlane 500 side trim, has bee SOLD.