Best or strangest thing found in an old car you bought.

Paul from PA

I can’t top the Texaco sign. The neatest thing I discovered on my 40 Chevy was the original gas ration A sticker still on the windshield. It had survived on the car for 80 years when I bought it in 2020. The sticker eventually fell off, but I have preserved itIMG_0611.jpeg.c1ce3987a6b51b7fab0e292bc6beeffa.jpegIMG_0610.jpeg.ddc229704406c1ce8fe90d30a535dcf1.jpeg

• Like 6

An unrestored 1911 REO I bought years ago had stickers on the windshield that said "National Air Races/1939". Some time later there was a picture published in Old Cars Weekly captioned "Joe xxxx and his brother on their way back from the 1939 National Air Races in their 1911 REO".

I didn't find it but I once bought a Napoleonic Austrian saber at Bills Auto Parts that had been found in one of the cars.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

My uncle owned a wrecking yard in the late '60's and bought many wrecked cars and junkers. My young cousin spent his spare time combing through the new arrivals and once came up with a very expensive diamond engagement ring, many assorted of tools, and, over time, quite a few human teeth (ugh!).

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not me, but a friend of mine bought an old van from a junkyard. In the jack storage compartment under the floor was a real treasure! A cloth flour sack 3/4 full of old silver coins from the late 1800's - early 1900's. That was exciting. 

• Like 5

Strangest thing I've ever found was a 1930 Coupe stored in a ranch style home in a very clean Fresno CA neighborhood.

It was strange because it was being stored in an attached garage next to a kitchen, the kitchen was in emmaculant condition and they said they never opened the kitchen door to the garage because of what was in the garage. When we opened the main garage door facing the street it was filled with black widows and webs from wall to wall and floor to ceiling. When I say filled, I mean I spent an hour or so doing  a 360 around the car and top to bottom to remove the webs and when we finally pulled it out in the sunglight it was so infested with black widows and eggs it took me months to get rid of them when I got back to the shop. I'm not afraid of spiders, but I'm still not sure how someone could sleep at night knowing what was just outside of their door. One of the strangest scenes I've witness in my life. The amount of webs and spiders is one you had to see to believe. I know I should have taken photos,  but I was so focused on striking a deal on the coupe I didn't think about photos. This was about 15 years ago so grabbing your phone for a quality photo was not an option and I'd left my Canon at home for that trip. The days of tiny flip phone photos...

Evidently the owner loved the Coupe so much that he used his only garage space to keep it safe all them years and parked his modern family cars on the street. The car had sat since 1959 according to documentation and family witnesses. Another case of good intentions yet never got around to working on it as he planned or hoped for. The older I get, the more I can relate as life and other things like finances and family issues are more of a priority at times....

I know people disagree with the term barn find and what the criteria for a barn find is, but that was the closest thing I've ever seen to a true barn find (in my view). 

1930 Chrysler Business Coupe Model 66 after I finally got rid of all the widows

30 Chrysler 66.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A pistol under the back seat of a 56 Plymouth, and a 1936 penny under the back seat of a 36 Dodge.

Similar story as above when I bought a 70s Chrysler convertible I stupidly opened the trunk when the seller was still standing there.

Under the spare tire was a large cookie can full of silver quarters. He immediately says. "Oh, those don't come with the car".

• Haha 2

Not an old car at the time, but I bought a new German made Capri in 1973. First time I took the spare out there was an empty schnapps bottle underneath.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

Not an old car at the time, but I bought a new German made Capri in 1973. First time I took the spare out there was an empty schnapps bottle underneath.  

Darn, it was empty.

This tag was under the front passenger seat of the 1931 Franklin victoria brougham I bought , Atkinson supplied most of the custom made seat spring cushions to the coach builders, see the advertisement also here that gives you a better idea. It is a whole story on that company and how they shipped the springs to coach builders in assorted locations and states in the USA, and as of several years ago the factory buildings still existed.

Yes, to many stories yet to be told with period information that just has to see all the pieces of the puzzle story put together in sequence to get the broad overall picture of all the facets of the motor car story and their component pieces that made them whole.

atkinsonseattag001.jpg

Atkinsonsprings1930001.jpg

• Like 6

Often bought cars at the insurance salvage pools. Found some interesting things, a strip of 24 Navy approved condoms, a birth control diaphragm in its round metal case, lots of change and some paper money, and  a very nice 9mm Gock with holster. Lots of tools, and divorce papers.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Not me, but a friend at the time many years ago.  Told me of a friend of his who was running an auto junk yard.  On East Highway 50 in Orange County, Fla.  A car came in to be junked and when they opened the trunk.  They found two human heads in a suitcase.  That's all I know and all I wanted to know!🤢

Capt. Harley😉

"Skirts are for Women not Car Fenders"

On 10/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, 13Caddy2 said:

was inti the dash on my 32 studebaker-taking out the wiring--out falls the factory tag with the color code on it--laying loose above the glove box--made me feel better painting the car black--Tom

Studebaker pasted the Body Color Label on the underside of the glovebox for years; right until the end of production in 1966.  Often, the glue would dry out, and the label would fall to the floor and got thrown away.  It must have done the same in your car, but thankfully, an earlier owner was smart enough to save it, and 'hide' it on top of the glovebox.

Craig

Not me but a family friend that's a mechanic with his own shop was owed some parts from a local wrecking yard and they dropped off a car for him to strip the parts himself - inside the trunk was a complete 440 6 pack set up and some 392 hemi parts.  Why the yard never opened the trunk who knows.  

I Took a 1985 Chevrolet Conversion Van in on a trade. Decided I better make sure there was nothing in it that shouldn't be. It was a disaster inside, lots of random junk. When I looked under the driver seat there sat a beautiful Stainless Colt .357 Revolver, loaded with hollow points. Later that day the gentleman who traded in the van returned and asked if he could retrieve something he forgot. I said go ahead. He went out looked under the seat and went into a panic. I told him I already found it. I gave it back even though I didn't really want to. It was probably worth more than the van.

The best old car item that I found was when i was stripping the original back seat upholstery during its restoration. I found the workman's tag that did the original upholstery back in 1905. And as the tag says, it was the right hand back upholstery for a Cadillac model F.

When I reupholstered the car I put this tag along with one of my business cards in a plastic bagging and put them back under the next future restorer to find.

Just passing along the time capsule.

Cad uph tag.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

WhenI bought my 1925Maxwell/Chrysler I lifted the front seat and found all sorts of things: a fan belt, pliers and misc. wrenches and the cranky start the engine . But my daughter found the coolest thing: a Jan/Feb 1956, issue #78 of the Archie comic in a storage compartment behind the front seat. I thought that was cool, but kind of weird. Why a comic book, and why that one? Then my daughter pointed out it was our car (well almost) on the cover with Archie and Betty in it! I thought the last two frames were a little risqué for 1956!

Car Comic Bk.jpg

Edited by Max4Me (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4