Considering a Project Purchase for a Younger Friend

B Jake Moran

I recently purchased a 2007 Mazda Miata Touring and my wife purchased a 2020 Camaro SS 6 speed. 

I have collector cars even though they are not old. The Camaro is a "coupe" not a convertible.  We will enjoy the fall in the Miata. I used to be a Mazda Master technician and swore I would never buy one but this was very well priced and is the top of the line model.  

My wife has a friend with an acreage, a farm pretty much. The friend is a recent widower.  Her husband and her built a phenomenal Morton building where the west end is their home and the parts further east are - you name it, tractor storage, a bunkhouse, a horse corral for riding in the winter, etc. 

Sorry for the long story but it informs. 

In addition, there is a tack shop and a building which can be used for car storage or work.  The house portion itself is 3500 square feet.  The husband and wife have 3 adopted children from the same mother, and it's rough. All 3 kids have some issues. The oldest is a boy, 17 and he and his (adoptive) dad did "men" stuff together like fix up older tractors, get farm supplies together, etc. 

Dad passed away 2 years ago. Now Mom (my wife's friend) is trying to settle the estate, raise 3 troubled and difficult kids, and work a bit.  

The boy is 17 and about 6'1" and 200 pounds. Smart but a typical "gamer" who needs to be working, in school or something, or he is gaming.  He was very much abused as an infant, and is quiet and reserved, polite but not very communicative.  

My wife wants me to buy a project car and work with him on the restoration.  The friend - this is her 2nd marriage - and she has an older daughter and son-in-law that work at Iowa's largest Chevy dealer and the son (boy we are talking about) has a job in the body shop there upon graduation from high school, and seems interested in the job.  

I am old at 60 years old.  I am deciding whether to purchase a project and restore it there with the young man.  

Positives are:

1. Plenty of room to dig into any project

2. Tools and supplies galore 
3. Time is not a huge issue. 

4. Physical help when needed

5. The Chevy dealership could do paint and final prep on body

Negatives are:

1. I am trying to "over save" for retirement - which by the way - comes for me at age 70, not 65. 

2. Distance and Time.  The farm is 40 minutes away.  Time - I work and would have to focus and be disciplined on economy of time.  We would have to stay on point and set goals for completion of segments of the work. 

3.  Cost.  All costs would be born by me.  We purchased our Miata and Camaro to enjoy now. As has been well discussed, restorations are out of reach of most of us now, buying "drivers" and already restored cars seems to be the going trend. 

4. The project vehicle will reflect my 45 year knowledge of old cars and desires, not his, so what if he loses interest in an old car he can not relate to? 

The young man clearly needs a mentor and someone of the male persuasion to be around. The loss of dad was a huge issue/problem.  I am not that replacement but with the "village" surrounding him, maybe we can develop a more rounded individual who will be happy and enjoy life rather then reflect a disturbed mother's profile and history.  

For my part, I am not 100% sure I can do it physically.    Any comments are welcome, especially if you have dealt with a similar issue with your kids or as a mentor.  

• Like 3

I meant to include some of the cars I passed on, when I decided to buy the Miata.   I had been looking at some true projects to do at the farm anyway, but in the end I talked myself out of a project and bought the Miata. 

Of those - 

1959 Chevrolet Suburban 

1966 Cadillac deVille Convertible

1962 Triumph TR4

This reflects my personal interests, so I am concerned the young man will scoff at these considerations. 

• Like 1

Buy a popular enough car so if he loses interest or you need to move it along you can.  

I would start the process by taking him to a few shows and discussing his area of interest.

Is it going to be his, or yours?  That makes a big difference.    Bear in mind he may want something of little interest to you or want to hot rod it, so you need to think about that.

Sounds lije he has been dealt some sh** cards so maybe you can be the one to make a difference.  If he can paint and or do bodywork thats a skill.  In HS I had 6 or 8 pals who had sound mechanical skills, one guy who could actually handle bodywork and paint.  Guess who successfully restored a car from the ground up...

Oh, if you consider yourself old at 60 speak for yourself!!  I am also, spreadc3ctons of crushed stone the other day and took 2 breaks vs. None but still feelin ok... 😉😁

• Like 4

Couple last thoughts

If Project is yours, lots of work in a restoration cleaning, etc. Maybe some nominal pay for some of the tedious stuff. 

If Project is his, get something that really needs to be woken up, serviced, sorted and can be driven.  A full on project could be overwhelming.

While an early TR sounds great the two cars that came to my mind were gen 1, 6 cylinder Mustang or C3 rubber nosed Corvette.  Both plentiful, the vette more so now, in project form and relatively liquid as suggested before.

Give this some thought!  Good luck!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Good for you for wanting to do this.  You're making an effort that could really positively impact a young man's life. 

In terms of what car to do, I wonder if you can ask him what car he likes.  If the point of the project is to help him, his "buy-in" as to what the car is would be great.  Pick something you both like. 

• Like 4

My high school age son just bought a 1995 Chrysler LeBaron convertible out of a junk yard for $600.  We have about $1000 into it now.   It runs and drives but is cosmetically compromised and has some noises in the top end of the engine that I don't especially like.  He drove it to school this morning.   It's good balance of needing work to learn with but still being able to run around town.

So it's possible to find interesting and inexpensive cars if you don't have your heart set on a particular one.   Wandering junkyards is fun and you never know what might present itself.  It's also important to know if he wants a car to drive or a car to work on, most of the time it's two different things.  

• Like 3

I like what Steve and Orin said.   My comment is to try to find an incremental approach to this.  I'm not sure what it is but maybe there is something middle ground where you don't have to jump in to a full blown project car and find out he has no interest.

And kudos to you for even considering it.    I am blessed with my kids, but that doesn't mean there wasn't many times I wanted to kill them.  People who adopt are saints.  People who help people who adopt are also saints.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 10

Congratulations on the new Miata and your wife's Camaro. They sound like fun.

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

... so what if he loses interest in an old car he can not relate to? 

This pretty much describes my experience, and the hopes that my son (now in college) would develop an interest in old cars. It wasn't to be, at least so far...probably for cultural reasons (I suspect.) From the 1920's through the '40's, most young men admired/desired cars, but a lack of used vehicles, a depression and a war kept car ownership from being a reality for many. In the prosperous post-war years, the reality presented itself. The admiration turned to worship, and America's car culture was born. It lasted probably until the 1980's, when older performance cars were still affordable and reasonably clever kids could still work on them with simple tools.

There are lots of young people who love old cars today, but it's no longer socially reinforcing like it once was. My son (and daughter) went in other directions, and I wasn't going to inflict my interests on them. On the other hand, you won't really know until you give your friend's son the opportunity. Maybe he could help you maintain your Miata and you could take him to car shows, just to get a sense of what interest he has.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Congratulations on the new Miata and your wife's Camaro. They sound like fun.

This pretty much describes my experience, and the hopes that my son (now in college) would develop an interest in old cars. It wasn't to be, at least so far...probably for cultural reasons (I suspect.) From the 1920's through the '40's, most young men admired/desired cars, but a lack of used vehicles, a depression and a war kept car ownership from being a reality for many. In the prosperous post-war years, the reality presented itself. The admiration turned to worship, and America's car culture was born. It lasted probably until the 1980's, when older performance cars were still affordable and reasonably clever kids could still work on them with simple tools.

There are lots of young people who love old cars today, but it's no longer socially reinforcing like it once was. My son (and daughter) went in other directions, and I wasn't going to inflict my interests on them. On the other hand, you won't really know until you give your friend's son the opportunity. Maybe he could help you maintain your Miata and you could take him to car shows, just to get a sense of what interest he has.

Just look in your typical HS parking lot to reinforce what you are saying.   We had a pecking order based on your car.  The bottom was no car, followed by your grandmother's station wagon.  At the top would be a HEMI car of which we had none, with GTO's and Chevelle SS right behind.

• Like 3

1) cars 2) girls 3) school. He should be able to handle one, may be able to handle two, but not all three. Do him a favor and keep him away from cars, especially fix up projects, until he finishes school. I am not joking or jesting. One of the biggest mistakes I made, and there are many, was neglecting higher education because I was crazy about old cars.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

1) cars 2) girls 3) school. He should be able to handle one, may be able to handle two, but not all three. Do him a favor and keep him away from cars, especially fix up projects, until he finishes school. I am not joking or jesting. One of the biggest mistakes I made, and there are many, was neglecting higher education because I was crazy about old cars.

I second this. One of the best things my Dad did is although I asked him at age of 10, "Can we restore an MG in the basement like cousin [so and so]?" he said yes, but never followed through. I think deep down I knew it was never going to happen. If it did college would have been out the window for sure. 

That said I realize everyone is different.

• Like 1

I admire you and your wife’s desire to be a help to her friend and her son. Before I started a full blown project, I’d invite the young man to a car show or cruise night. This would allow you to gauge where his interest lies and whether you and he are comfortable enough to work together. His interests may not be yours, or worse you may not be able to work together.

My BIL died 5 years ago from cancer when my nephew was 22 and I was 56. My nephew is interested in “tuner” cars and 4 wheel drive trucks, neither of which interest me, but I make myself and my shop available when he needs a hand. In return, he is the extra set of hands that I need once in a while on one of my projects. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

It's a noble motive that may not turn out as you hoped. Why not try to see if he will develop an interest with older cars first. You could go to some shows, swap meets, etc. and see how he feels about cars. If he shows some interest, you could have him help you do some things with your cars. If he has a license and is currently driving something, help him learn to maintain that car. 

I agree with the idea of keeping him involved and interested in school and continuing education.  He may have no real interest in cars besides driving one, if even that. A lot of young guys just don't have that much interest in cars - period. Go slow and follow his lead. 

There's a lady who lives several blocks from me, who has a couple of foster sons. They and their friends convinced her to "restore" her '74 Camaro which had been a daily driver for her for many years. Currently the car is sitting in the driveway missing the engine, and front clip. It's been almost a year since any work was done on the car, and I think that it may never go back together again. 

I have been fortunate that my kids have done well for themselves, and have all moved out. I couldn't honestly say that I'd want to be involved too closely with raising any more young people, especially any not directly related to me. 

Either way, good luck.

• Like 1

I’m thinking it was a slip of the typewriter when you said you are old at 60.

I was working on a reply when I saw 31Buick96S’ reply. I think his approach is a good one. If you are lucky enough to have some local car clubs, I would go to them, and check them out. If you find/have one you like, you might even alert some of the more thoughtful members what you are up to. Then take him with you to the club of his/your choice. Then find the car - yours, since it is your investment - over time and according to your judgement it can become his. Then have at it. If the two of you have a car to fix up, restore, love, whatever, having the club support makes the quest easier. For all the reasons you already know.

Of course, I’m not in your shoes, and don’t know all the facts, so those are just my best suggestions. But, clearly, you have big shoes, so success is highly likely. Best wishes.

Phil

• Like 1

A noble gesture, indeed. The young man, by his chosen vocation, has shown he has at least a passing interest in cars. One challenge is, when you're 18, you still really don't know what you want. Friends have two sons around 20. Both went off to trade school, and now neither is working in their chosen profession. One was trained as a diesel mechanic but is now doing carpentry. The other got a nursing degree but is working for FedEx. Both, by the way, are into cars...but not my kind of cars. 

Marketplace is littered with father/son projects that didn't pan out. I've bought a couple and resurrected them. In each case, dad (or grandad) somehow though junior would be interested in a 4 door sedan from the late forties. That kind of kid exists, but is uncommon.

From what I see, pickup trucks still hold plenty of interest. A '93 F-150 is an antique to that boy. I would at least pursue an angle like that.

I really hope it works out; this could be life-changing.

• Like 1

I admire you motive.  I may have misread but my impression is that this was your wife's idea and not yours.  Be sure you have bought in 100% because you are making a big commitment.  I am also troubled by the comment that you are "old" at 60 and have to work for 10 more years.  That doesn't speak positively to the commitment you are about to make.  My wife and I have taken in several children/young adults over the years including a medically handicapped and abused 5 y/o.  I have had to bail one out of jail who was later found guilty and is probably still in jail  Guess who paid the legal fees?Several years ago my wife and I took in a troubled 17 y/o from Iowa and brought him to Florida for his senior year of high school.  He was terrible and made our life hell for a year.  He had so many accidents and tickets that I gave him a Honda in his own name to get him off my insurance.  As soon as he graduated he moved in with a friend and brought the sheriff over to retrieve his possessions.  WE never heard another word from him.  Sorry to be negative but take time and think this through.  Good Luck.  I now foster old unadoptable dogs for the local animal shelter.

Edited by Robert G. Smits
clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 5

With 2 adopted kids,  the wife and I have come to the conclusion that alot of the kids make up is purely genetic.  No matter what you do with some it won't matter.  It's a hard truth people don't want to hear.  It's not environment as much as people think it is as purely genetic.  Perfect example is someone that came from a broken home with nothing and excels wanting to do better eventually owning their own business and becoming very successful.  Lots of this throughout history.  Look at the guy that was building Boldt Castle in the 1000 islands.  others will have opportunity after opportunity handed to them and blow it even with proper guidance. 

From the sounds you have already learned that lesson so you have a good foundation to work from.   I agree maybe not a full blown project and something easy to liquidate as Steve mentioned.  Even us die hard car guys get burned out and move on.  Hard to gauge someone that you are just trying to introduce the hobby to as to how devoted they will be to complete a project and even how much time you will be able to dedicate to guiding them through the process and helping them.  Especially with the 40 minute commute. 

Good luck.  Hard to say what might be right or wrong.

• Like 3

Good luck with whatever decision you make. Lots of good advice above. I am also 60 and do feel 'old' a lot of the time physically, mentally I barely break 20! I think getting involved and helping a kid is a great idea, but you need to do it for the kid, not to make yourself feel better. If he has an interest in cars then thats great. BUT keep in mind a 17 yo's idea of a 'car' is most likely much different than your idea. I would bet something Japanese would fit the bill perfectly. It may sound sacrilegious for this sight but building a drift car may be right up his alley! Building and racing would def. occupy enough time to keep someone out of trouble.

• Like 1

Kudos for opening your hearts and taking on the role of a mentor to this young man, it is a laudable objective.   To have him 'buy-in' on the project, it has to be a vehicle of interest to him that will be his when its finished.   Your support will be appreciated his whole life, and your satisfaction will stem from your participation beyond any enjoyment you would derive if this project ended up yours afterwards.

• Like 2

Only thing I can offer is work on something with him that you can complete in a reasonable amount of time say a year.  Where he can see more immediate results and not something that he begins to think will never get completed. And of course ask and take his input and direction and hopefully he'll keep more interest up in the project. Give it a shot. You wont regret trying to impact someone life in a positive manner.

Thanks everyone.  Been busy with work but will comment more soon.  

I will buy the car and pay for the restoration.  That said, I may buy a Chevy.  He will be working at a Chevy dealer who is a known generous guy.  

The young man is 17 and has been raised all this time, except for a few short months by his adoptive parents.  He is smart, but quiet and reserved - this the constant gaming. 

He shows no indication of anger or emotional demands.  He is not likely to move out of the place he is at. 

• Like 2

On 8/23/2023 at 8:49 PM, Rivguy said:

It's a noble motive that may not turn out as you hoped. Why not try to see if he will develop an interest with older cars first.

Well said, Riv Guy, and others with similar ideas.  

Everyone is an individual.  The carpenter's son may 

become a lawyer.  The lawyer's son may become a

trombonist in an orchestra.  Make sure the boy shows

a serious interest in cars, Jake, before you try to

immerse him in an old-car project.  

And if he takes a job as a bodyman as you indicate

he may, will he want to do the same kind of work when

he gets home after a busy day?

Maybe just a few parades and tours and shows with

someone else's car, and learning routine maintenance,

will be enough to get him away from video games

for a while.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was adopted at birth; I was blessed with 2 great parents. In some ways I'm a lot like Dad, while in other ways we're quite a ways apart. We got along quite well, but there was a time when I was around 17 that he asked for my help on a carpentry project and I basically snapped at him and walked off. He never said a word about it. I'm sure that was because he remembered how he was with his father. That was nearly the only time we ever had a conflict. Like him, I'm a car guy, but of a different flavor. Dad was into fast cars with shiny paint; I'm into inline flatheads and patina. Dad loved bodywork and paint, and hated grease under his fingernails. I can't stand doing bodywork but enjoy turning a wrench. We both respected what the other had going on in the garage. We both thought very highly of each other. Now, I wish I'd learned more from him. I was never into video games, but I had other hobbies that Dad wasn't at all into, but he was supportive. They coexisted with me becoming who I am today. 

This can work. Patience, understanding. Well worth a try. Probably my toughest years were 18-20. Lots of folks derail during that time. Around then, I happened across a $1000 barn-find 37 Dodge. I didn't buy it. Suppose someone had offered to help me nurse that machine back onto the road? It would have made quite a difference in my life.

• Like 3

I think you need to have a heart to heart  afternoon visit with the young man in question  and see if he is interested in your proposal. He needs to be engaged and committed. Ive been down this same road before  with a few troubled kids here in town and  I was getting more out of it than they  were.I the end I got a big screwing and was the one who felt bad.  He has to be engaged , you cant make him want to do it. Remember the old adage - "No good deed goes unpunished" The older I get Ive found out there is a lot of truth  to the saying. Good Luck sir and my hat goes off to you!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bryan G said:

I was adopted at birth; I was blessed with 2 great parents. In some ways I'm a lot like Dad, while in other ways we're quite a ways apart. We got along quite well, but there was a time when I was around 17 that he asked for my help on a carpentry project and I basically snapped at him and walked off. He never said a word about it. I'm sure that was because he remembered how he was with his father. That was nearly the only time we ever had a conflict. Like him, I'm a car guy, but of a different flavor. Dad was into fast cars with shiny paint; I'm into inline flatheads and patina. Dad loved bodywork and paint, and hated grease under his fingernails. I can't stand doing bodywork but enjoy turning a wrench. We both respected what the other had going on in the garage. We both thought very highly of each other. Now, I wish I'd learned more from him. I was never into video games, but I had other hobbies that Dad wasn't at all into, but he was supportive. They coexisted with me becoming who I am today. 

This can work. Patience, understanding. Well worth a try. Probably my toughest years were 18-20. Lots of folks derail during that time. Around then, I happened across a $1000 barn-find 37 Dodge. I didn't buy it. Suppose someone had offered to help me nurse that machine back onto the road? It would have made quite a difference in my life.

Well said Bryan , I can feel your comments right from the heart!

• Like 1

Rather than jumping into a full-blown restoration, and since he'll be working at a Chevy dealership, consider starting off with 'refurbishment' of later model cars to enjoy and then sell.  Maybe doing a couple of relatively easy 'flips' will give insight into the kinds of cars he's interested in and the type of work he enjoys most (i.e., mechanical, interior, body/paint).  Crawl, walk, run.

• Like 2

My life put me into a working relationship with much older men at about age 11 on through most of my working years I basically had little in the way of mentorship and had few heroes. Over the years I did come to realize that many old men don't realize they tend to impose their values and ideals more often than nurture a younger person.

My good friends today are people I grew up with or met 40 to 50 years ago whom are my age. I never had much use for old men trying to "fix" me. 45 years difference in age is a long, long ways. Even a father and son are not often that far apart.

Mostly this is an attempt to get him off the gaming culture.   I was considering using his mom's place to perform a 7 year or so restoration on something.   He goes to school, has a part time job at a grocery store, will be going for the auto body classes and slowly work into the body shop at the dealer.  

Why is gaming a bad thing? It's a hobby like ours. Why does he need to be disconnected from it? Sounds like he has his life together if he's polite, goes to school, and has a job. So what if he doesn't happily chat with older people--what teenager does? Why do you feel the need to remove him from something he enjoys and force him to do something else? Why is your hobby acceptable but his is not? If you want to bond with him and offer him an adult presence in his life, why not pick up an X-Box controller and join him in a few games instead? My kids aren't really into cars but they are into games, so I join them in their hobby instead of forcing them into mine. It's harmless fun.

There are plenty of people who would look at the lunatics wandering around Hershey with rusty parts in their hands and hand-lettered signs pinned to their shirts and think they have a "problem." Plenty of us head out into the garage as soon as we're done with our day jobs and spend a whole lot of time out there alone. We have a circle of online-only friends who participate with us in our hobby. It's really not that much different. Why vilify gaming?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Matt raises a good point.  We all have silly ways to spend time and money for our amusement and gratification.  If "gaming culture" is code for something else, what is it?

Now the stereotype of a 35-year-old living in his parents' basement playing games has disfunctionalities - let's be clear on what the problem to solve is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EmTee said:

Rather than jumping into a full-blown restoration, and since he'll be working at a Chevy dealership, consider starting off with 'refurbishment' of later model cars to enjoy and then sell.  Maybe doing a couple of relatively easy 'flips' will give insight into the kinds of cars he's interested in and the type of work he enjoys most (i.e., mechanical, interior, body/paint).  Crawl, walk, run.

THATS A GREAT IDEA! Thats letting the camel get his nose in the tent!!!! (Dad used to say that) smile...

• Like 1

I think Matt is spot on. I had to come to that same conclusion with my Son. He's not into cars. He likes video games. Sometimes you have to meet people where they live. I play video games with my Son occasionally, I don't get the thrill, but it kind of puts me in his shoes. When I take him out to the garage, he's likely thinking the same thing about me. 

• Like 1

"Why villify gaming?" it is asked.

It depends on the extent of the gaming, and the

type of video games.  It's known that some games

let the user practice car theft and obliterating people.

Those aren't the behaviors a loner--or anyone--should

develop.  Other games may be harmless fun if the

time spent on them is kept in check.

Remember how mothers often have implored their

children to play outside in the nice weather?  Car fans

do just that, but with bigger toys! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

"Why villify gaming?" it is asked.

It depends on the extent of the gaming, and the

type of video games.  It's known that some games

let the user practice car theft and obliterating people.

Those aren't the behaviors a loner--or anyone--should

develop.  Other games may be harmless fun if the

time spent on them is kept in check.

Remember how mothers often have implored their

children to play outside in the nice weather?  Car fans

do just that, but with bigger toys! 

In my head I imagine a day with some puffy little clouds floating amongst an azure sky, 71 Farenheit, slight breeze and the birds are a chirping. Meanwhile a guy spends it in the basement, in his pajamas, downing Red Bull while he vapes something that smells like cotton candy, playing some game where he splatters 6 quarts of blood across a brick wall, then moves on to the next level. 

Even I have spent too much time watching TV in my life. 

Gaming is a form of checking out. Any similar interest creates a lack of balance in life.  Everything needs to be done in moderation.  Or it becomes a habit. 

In HIS case, the past social and  family structure allowed that balance as he readily went with his dad (adoptive, but the only dad he ever knew or had) to collect old tractors to restore, get hay for the farm or just hang.  

For 2 years he has had no dad and has reverted to heavy gaming. Sometimes 12-15 hours a day.  

I was a Big Brother for 2 years for a similar reason. I was a BB for 2 boys.  BOTH mothers expressed concerns over too much gaming.  Both boys are now active in sports and academics.  

• Like 1

My 11 yo grandson knows more about computers and phones than I would ever care to. First thing he does when he gets one is to tear it apart and figure out how it works. He is into them too much most of the time. I keep telling myself when the time comes this will be an asset. Funny thing was he was telling the employees at the local verizon store how to fix a phone problem!! They offered him a job, LOL. He has a game he spends a great deal of time with that involves building a car from the ground up. It is just about as close as one can get to building a real car without the grease. Parts need to be installed in the correct order or it wont run. This is not something that can be done in an hour it takes weeks of commitment to see the project through. He will come into the shop spilling out jargen about crankshafts, piston rings, exhaust manifolds etc that he has learned from this thing. It originated in Finland and he has taken a liking to learning that language. Unfortunately his attention span in the shop is about as long as the hair on my head (no I dont have a ponytail or manbun). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

For 2 years he has had no dad and has reverted to heavy gaming. Sometimes 12-15 hours a day.  

That tells us a lot, Jake!  Twelve to fifteen hours a day!

Since he is 17, his mother should insist that he get a

summer job.  During the school year, time with video games

takes away from academics.  Knowing geometry, bookkeeping,

finances (and shop talents), along with excellent reading and

writing and spelling, will promote the success of a future bodyman!

And a school club or team will be a good adjunct.

I still say, don't immerse him too deeply in a long-term project,

at least at first.  However, he needs to get out and live!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Jake also shared a detail that seems key to me, he has taken the time to be a BB before.  That tells me if he moves on this he will be committed which is just as important.

If we haven't said this already, have you done an interest check with the boy Jake?