What antique car did you drive or ride in today?

Dandy Dave

11 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Marlins are cool.

Hardly ever see one around here Matt. This one is equipped with a 327 4bbl, and "Flash O Matic" B-W 3 speed automatic. Also has power windows, very seldom seen on a Marlin. According to production records only 1% were built this way. Has a cool almost paisley pattern on the seats. Wish it had A/C!

jun18marlinetc 177.jpg

• Like 5

My 1915 Dodge Brothers took me across the river to Purdue University today… more importantly, it took me to Harry’s Chocolate Shop to get the best chicken wings on earth…. I needed to get a fix one more time before the students come back and there is no way to park and an hour line to get in!

IMG_2956.jpeg

• Like 11

Been in the mid-90s this week, prime time for sorting...

Probably TMI for some, but this context might be interesting for others.

My wife and I took our stock 32 Buick out yesterday and today to test whether my wrenching on the recent straight-8 head rebuild with NOS parts and reused parts is happy and things are cool enough under power.

Accumulated about 100mi, averaging 50mph to kind of push the car a little harder (normally like to drive 45mph).

My wife managed the electronics and sensors while I piloted (convenient being married to an EE).

Water temps hovered around 170-180F when running 45-50-55mph, and climbed to just 180F+ in stopped traffic and waiting for lights to change, but it wasn't too hot.

I used Type K thermocouples on the exhaust manifold for additional health measurements (#8 cyl near the firewall can run hot if the water jacket isn't in good shape).

Even the generator was happy charging the battery at about 8amps and 8.9v (5yo battery is about 6.4v when at rest).

Bottom line is that I am very thankful and appreciative that things went well - no leaks, stayed cool, drove well, straight and smooth, lots of waves and smiles, and with the 3-way AC on (didn't see a need to put on the 4th mode of AC), we stayed reasonably cool while driving.  John Dolza was ingenuously competent when inventing these 8s...gotta love those Italian boys...

Sorry for the awkward photos.

image.png.67abe382e1a2583e2ef2ce32f4d8f995.png

image.png.d5a58a14a51cc97d2a4e00a1bdc53234.png

image.png.505fd53008b558c7d19febc2e07e90cf.png

• Like 2

To commemorate the first anniversary of the complete engine (276 c.i.) rebuild* in my PB Roadster, I took her for a spin to run couple of errands and get the accumulated mileage (within a year since the engine rebuild was finished) to reach tad over 6700 miles. 

*Ended up spending far more time and money on it than I initially would've guessed, but hopefully now I don't have to worry, let alone re-do it, anytime in the foreseeable, 20-30 year and 50K-100K+ mile, future.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Took a 39 mile ride in the country yesterday with 9 other antiques to a Vineyard & Winery, followed by lunch back in town.  Left to right:   1963 Studebaker Pickup, my 1934 Ford Fordor, 1924 White 12 passenger Yellowstone Park Tour Bus, 1930 Model A Coupe, 1935 Ford Dordor, sorry the other7 cars are out of the picture.  Only 2 miles of gravel roads this time.IMG_E44111.JPG.d01a6f90e98c3a2b2632a5673001dc27.JPG:

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Added car descriptions (see edit history)
  • Like 5

In the morning I drove my friend John’s Franklin (that’s him on the left and my wife, Virginia, on the right).F492AE3C-710C-41BA-90BB-3647DC3AB475.jpeg.635dff5cc8d3bee97bdd9a428f86de3e.jpegIn the afternoon I was the navigator for my friend Steve, who drove myself and a few others around Schenectady during the 69th Annual Franklin Trek! 20923B3E-A8BD-4840-8385-80F3EB5BCDCC.jpeg.2bdc3a2f1c1fb7bff6b2904b5dd5ffa2.jpegThank you John & Steve!  

• Like 8

Several years ago, I took a young woman and her two boys for a ride in my Stanley, when they saw me in it and expressed an interest.

Last February, I had my Model T out and encountered the same woman and one of the kids.  They remembered me, and I took them for a Model T ride.  I also suggested that, in warmer summer weather, we should have a play date at my house for "kids under 15 and over 80, and their parents."

So, on Saturday, she and her husband and both boys came over.  They all, one at a time, got a short ride in my single-cylinder Cadillac.  Then we all together took a longer ride in my 1912 Buick.  Then I pushed the Stanley out and lit it, giving a tutorial as the steam building progressed.  When the pressure got to 500 pounds,we all went for ice cream.  Fun day!image.jpeg.9d9936db2927738c1c5ada7e99afeb31.jpeg

IMG-7651 2.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Several years ago, I took a young woman and her two boys for a ride in my Stanley, when they saw me in it and expressed an interest.

Last February, I had my Model T out and encountered the same woman and one of the kids.  They remembered me, and I took them for a Model T ride.  I also suggested that, in warmer summer weather, we should have a play date at my house for "kids under 15 and over 80, and their parents."

So, on Saturday, she and her husband and both boys came over.  They all, one at a time, got a short ride in my single-cylinder Cadillac.  Then we all together took a longer ride in my 1912 Buick.  Then I pushed the Stanley out and lit it, giving a tutorial as the steam building progressed.  When the pressure got to 500 pounds,we all went for ice cream.  Fun day!image.jpeg.9d9936db2927738c1c5ada7e99afeb31.jpeg

IMG-7651 2.jpg

You, Sir, are to be commended-

Thank you

(Looking forward to visiting with you again on tour)

• Thanks 2

Took my 42 year old, El Camino Conquista to Lowe's to buy lumber to fix the front porch.

As the third old man to own it since 1981, it's 170,000 miles does not slow it down and

everything still works including the A/C, which has not required freon in 3 years.   Proving

if you take care if a vehicle and keep it inside when not in use, it will last & last. IMG_16921.JPG.f1f9a1978df755cbd5a86acaa0950f7f.JPG

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Grandson took his first solo drive in my Model T Ford. He has been a very good student since age 5, and now at age 10 he can reach the pedals. Of course we were on a deserted road!

IMG_4753.jpeg

Jeff, this is way cool!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Model56s said:

Jeff, this is way cool!

Well, when grandson showed up yesterday for a one week stay with us he boldly announced he was tall enough to operate the pedals on the T and was ready to take his first drive. OK! We found a dead end quiet road an commenced a lesson in pedal operation. With typical childhood impatience he told me he knew what all the controls did and in what sequence was appropriate to drive. Let’s go!  Sooooo…..here we go. I did take a video but I am keeping it private as I want to avoid prosecution by the authorities……and his parents…..😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I used the 1990 Chevy Suburban to get to the National Pike Steam, Gas and Horse Association show. Anyone in the area attending come and look for me around the big dirt pile. I have my one of a kind small Power Shovel and my small Agricat Dozer with me.

IMG_6148.JPG.2930c7f339830cf8c8880e64db658617.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Grandson took his first solo drive in my Model T Ford. He has been a very good student since age 5, and now at age 10 he can reach the pedals. Of course we were on a deserted road!

IMG_4753.jpeg

I can't wait to have grandkids...

What a great moment you captured there.

• Like 4

Another beautiful day. Maybe high 70s. I’ve gotten into the habit of checking tire pressure at least once a month on all the cars. Obviously it’s been a while on this one, since the tires are all 16 pounds. The other thing I started to pay attention to is the spare. This one had zero in it.

IMG_2910.jpeg

IMG_2909.jpeg

IMG_2908.jpeg

AJ011.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 10

8 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Got up to catch the sunrise with the ‘48 NYer…..unfortunately the clouds moved in as the sun came up. Still, it is wonderful going for a drive very early AM!

IMG_4814.png

IMG_4813.png

Sometimes the clouds add to the moment. 

Very classic wonderful shot in my opinion that could be on a calender.

Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1