What unique or different engines/ unique or different cars fascinate you just for those reasons?

58L-Y8

Not really car-related, but I've always been fascinated by radial engines. My first mechanical love was airplanes and, when I was little, I was certain I was going to be an aeronautical engineer, Naval aviator, and eventually an astronaut. If I could buy any engine/plane in the world, it would be a Stearman PT-17.

Edited by zdillinger (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I was intrigued by a very early 1 cylinder diesel bicycle engine I saw in a fellow's garage in Ohio.  What was unique about it was the way it operated. No glow plug.  Thru a linkage, as the bike was pedaled the combustion chamber became progressively smaller until the compression caused the fuel to ignite.  Anyone ever see something like this?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zepher said:

Back in high school, I was friends with a guy that built some great RX-7s with the 13b rotary engine.
They would spin to the moon and the only way to keep them from running lean was to mount at least a 650cfm carb on them.

The CFM of the carb has nothing to do with it running rich or lean. Jetting on any carb needs to be optimized for the application. Increasing CFM without also increasing jet size would definitely cause a lean condition.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John E. Guitar said:

Sizaire et Naudin, 1.5 litre single cylinder with engine speed controlled by varying the lift on the inlet valve (amongst other things).

SizaireetNaudin.jpeg.c3dc4985cbd92d675305ee005418322c.jpeg

LifemagazineSizaire1.jpg.5327b2523ee4ecafb716cd6786525ac3.jpg

LifemagazineSizaire2.jpg.c3c695e2414425a489c5d4ed3c50eac2.jpg

I visited a collection that had one. A fellow who worked for the collection told me they referred to the car as the Bizarre Sardine.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, zepher said:

Rickenbacker made some nice engines for their cars.

All engines were done in house, no outside engines were used like a Continental.

Dual crankshaft balancers for a smooth running engine.

After Rickenbacker Motors folded in 1927, their tooling was sold to Renault and they continued to build engines using that design for quite some time.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/too-much-too-soon-1925-rickenbacker-vertical-eight-superfine

f1aabd6ada4acf12bb1fb97ff2716476.jpg

Minor correction, from the Hemmings article:

"As an interesting aside, the tooling for both the six-cylinder and eight-cylinder 1927 Rickenbackers was sold to a Danish businessman in Germany named Jørgen Skafte Rasmussen who had planned to produce the engines for sale to European automakers. When no orders were forthcoming, Rasmussen instead shopped his designs to Audi, in which he was the majority shareholder. This resulted in the Rickenbacker 6-70 becoming the Audi Type-T "Dresden" and the eight-cylinder Rickenbackers becoming the Audi Type-SS "Zwickau." Both were produced until 1932."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Yes, named the Eisenhuth Compound engine originally wasn't it?

Edit: my mistake. It was the Eisenhuth Horseless Vehicle and later joined forces with Graham

USA - Eisenhuth Compound Eagle (1896-1909) (motor-car.net)

You might also appreciate this. 

Still trying to locate good quality photos of that engine in the Compound Car.

Off topic: I believe the Berkshire Automobile in the background is out of Berkshire Mass. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

view

Giving the Compound a better look:

'00's Eisenhuth Compound.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

I was intrigued by a very early 1 cylinder diesel bicycle engine I saw in a fellow's garage in Ohio.  What was unique about it was the way it operated. No glow plug.  Thru a linkage, as the bike was pedaled the combustion chamber became progressively smaller until the compression caused the fuel to ignite.  Anyone ever see something like this?

Would love to see something like that!

No doubt there's been some very interesting bicycle engines over the years. 

This one for instance, imagine launching it 20' with another rider on the bike instead of a car.....

view

Another from the bicycle realm, but still different and interesting.

I suppose bikes should have their own thread since there have been so many variations.

Unusual German made cycle clip-on from the austerity era after WW2.  Attaching below the pedal crank and driving the rear wheel by roller this tiny 18cc two-stroke diesel claimed over 300mpg!  If that wasn't enough the price was only £25.45.  Possessing neither carburettor or ignition system it operates on the (variable) compression ignition system, controlled by the twistgrips and capable of over 5,000 rpm.  Formally classed as a mixture compressing self-igniting two-cycle motor.

image.png.d9be9c469c3ce9c6b67ec84280bd89cd.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

The CFM of the carb has nothing to do with it running rich or lean. Jetting on any carb needs to be optimized for the application. Increasing CFM without also increasing jet size would definitely cause a lean condition.

That was with stock jetting on the carbs.

The only stock jetting that would handle that much airflow was the 650.

Most high school kids in the 80's didn't have a ton of carb jets in a massive shop, so we worked with what we had.

Who could not be wooed by the fabulous early creations of Ettore Bugatti. His cars and engines were so unique and successful in sports car racing circles around the world. I think if I could own just one special car, this Type 35, (or any one of his similar models built 1927 thru 1935) would be it. Recently watched the movie FORD v FERRARI which focused on the real challenge of building an ultimate Grand Prix race car in the 1960's. Bugatti did it 40 years earlier and dominated the circuits for a period until the German government got involved in developing MB and Auto Union. From the signature horseshoe radiator, to the French Blue paint with wired fasteners, tight body and cast aluminum wheels (with integral brake drums), the 35's were exceptionally good designs. The engines were things of beauty yet very capable. In the end, these were a "no-nonsense" car, built for one purpose, racing.

bugatti Type 35 2.jpg

Bugatti Type 35.jpg

Bugatti Engine.jpg

• Like 3

The was a 1960s 2 cycle V4 diesel made by Harishveger (spelling ?) high RPMs but was extremely heavy. It was hard on head gaskets, 4 heads about 8" X 8".  I can't find any info or photos on line about it so I'll post this.

One side of the walking 4 Duesenberg

walking 4.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

This one always excited and fascinated me....

Picture 075.jpg

Picture 076.jpg

IMG_5284 (2).JPG

I remember seeing one for the first time at the Worlds Fair in NYC in 1964-65, it was so cool. I still have the the sales promo that was given to me when I walked through the Chrysler Pavilion. Looking back it is hard to believe we were the generation that anticipated and embraced the future.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

From the signature horseshoe radiator, to the French Blue paint with wired fasteners, tight body and cast aluminum wheels (with integral brake drums), the 35's were exceptionally good designs. The engines were things of beauty yet very capable. In the end, these were a "no-nonsense" car, built for one purpose, racing.

About fifteen years ago, the model T club I belonged to that ran an annual Endurance Run was opening up the Run for non-model Ts of the era. A fellow had a 1927 (if I recall correctly?) Bugatti and he loved to drive it! Rarely able to drive anything much like a real road race, he ran in our Endurance Run for a couple years. One of those years, I drove my model T racing car with the original era heavily modified flathead engine, and shortened chassis. 

He seemed to really enjoy our Endurance Run (200 miles mostly mountain and country roads in one day!), however most of the model T speedsters were too slow for him and he often got stuck behind several with no opportunities to pass on the winding roads. At lower speeds he had trouble keeping his engine cool and would pull over to let it cool down for a few minutes.

One of those years, just by chance, he and I played leapfrog for over fifty miles! I would pass him as he let the engine cool, a minute or two later he would be on my tail. After a minute or two, I would make it easy for him to pass me and then I would push my T racer to keep up with him for a mile or two! Shortly after he went out of my sight, I would find him sitting under the shade of a tree, cooling off again. Then we would repeat the dance, again and again and again. It was wonderful! Listening to the sound of that incredible engine, the blower screaming, was incredible!

Unfortunately, club politics being the way they tend to be? After a few years, some shift in technical opinion made him unwelcome on the Endurance Runs. A bunch of people, including myself, wanted him to be allowed to continue. But I will remember the experience of road racing speeds alongside a Bugatti for the rest of my life!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, alsancle said:

IMG_4415.jpeg

IMG_0990.jpeg

Now I am just jealous. When I was a kid, my next door neighbor was a Chrysler engineer and test drove one for a while. I never had the nerve to ask him for a ride. I DID end up with his engineer's manual for the car though, thanks to his daughter. I would wake up early in the morning just to hear him start it up.

• Like 6

In case you missed the story I posted.......

1/2 Scale REO Model A Two Cylinder Car (made in 1905). This is a shot with the body off.

IMG_2644.JPG.856cb38f4c784a96f256d16e67a5fefb.JPG

This is the same view in the 1905 REO Model A Owners Manual

TLGF1031.JPG.9d4fc1d4e2bd174a75b0696f9f01bc58.JPG

Engine running

Car driving

• Like 7

On 5/24/2023 at 4:43 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Yes, named the Eisenhuth Compound engine originally wasn't it?

Edit: my mistake. It was the Eisenhuth Horseless Vehicle and later joined forces with Graham

USA - Eisenhuth Compound Eagle (1896-1909) (motor-car.net)

You might also appreciate this. 

Still trying to locate good quality photos of that engine in the Compound Car.

Off topic: I believe the Berkshire Automobile in the background is out of Berkshire Mass. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

view

• Like 3

Weidley V-12 or “double-six” engines 

used in pathfinder and Kissel 1917-1918 Double-Six models. Engine was reported to be good but not great, since outboard cylinders were often starved if oil. Dealers figured out a separate oil pipe solution.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_2610.jpeg

IMG_2611.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

Weidley V-12 or “double-six” engines 

used in pathfinder and Kissel 1917-1918 Double-Six models. Engine was reported to be good but not great, since outboard cylinders were often starved if oil. Dealers figured out a separate oil pipe solution.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_2610.jpeg

IMG_2611.jpeg

72536005_2745088192177347_5632722434722365440_n.jpeg

72264127_2745088282177338_6620430226922930176_n.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/24/2023 at 6:12 AM, zdillinger said:

Not really car-related, but I've always been fascinated by radial engines. My first mechanical love was airplanes and, when I was little, I was certain I was going to be an aeronautical engineer, Naval aviator, and eventually an astronaut. If I could buy any engine/plane in the world, it would be a Stearman PT-17.

Went to school for these two.  The Little Engine That Could…. And DidSea 50 aa | Westinghouse J34 Turbojet Engine Ken Warby's new… | Flickr<W-J-34

Worked on these, note three turbo compoundsimage.jpeg.eaa5d9b1e62c576e5f69392804e557fa.jpegimage.jpeg.a5257870100cc5eac44e7ddf79c804d2.jpeg

The turbo compounds do not compress the intake, but rather each PRT or power recovery turbine drives a driveshaft to the crankshaft.

3350 cubic inches and 3350 HP.  Combination of two 3350's and two Westinghouse J-34's (the J34's burn 145/115 recep.gas) Full Power on takeoff each of the 3350's use ADI (Turbo Rocket fuel for you Olds guys) from a 25-gallon tank in the wheel well behind the engine.

image.jpeg.4172e90896fcac477c10b6b473fbdb52.jpegimage.jpeg.6a6059ba612c12c910a5fbeef815f4f8.jpegNot many planes with two propulsion systems.

If I could have any piston engine plane to fly it would be this one,

Dornier Do 335 Pfeil | Model AviationWallpaper war, art, airplane, painting, aviation, jet, ww2, Dornier Do 335  images for desktop, section авиация - download

• Maximum speed: 763 km/h (481 mph, 412 kn) at 6,500 m (21,300 ft)
A-6 690 km/h (430 mph; 370 kn) at 5,300 m (17,400 ft)
  • Cruise speed: 685 km/h (426 mph, 370 kn) at 7,200 m (23,600 ft)

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

One only need look no further than my garage for a truly unique engine experience.

The sleeve valve engine in my 1927 Willys Knight combines the principles found in a 2 cycle diesel, considering it has no valves or camshaft, with a conventional piston engine design. However, it uses sliding sleeves to open and close intake and exhaust ports, which allows the engine to breath and vent, in the same manner as a engine with poppet valves and a camshaft.

There is a lot of discussion on the forum with regard to Stearns-Knight so I'm surprised we forgot to mention the Knight engine.

151919607_2_x.webp

dsc04356.jpg

dsc08184.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

By now, I figured someone would have mentioned Franklin engines.

Definitely different.
Not as exotic as a sleeve valve, but very different from the norm.

Franklin-12-03.jpg?fit=around%7C1000:625

• Like 7

What unique feature do these engines have in common.

64.jpg

1938-1961, 1938-1965 in the standard model.

image.jpeg.827650bec438abd6c4ad44e7358715f6.jpegFranz Reimspiess design1960 Volkswagen Beetle | Midwest Car Exchange cast in Generator stand

Fuel pump to the left of distributor

1961 and later VW engineering designVolkswagen Kombi 1600:picture # 1 , reviews, news, specs, buy car

image.jpeg.13b07135cb10838886f98b077413cb50.jpegBolt on Generator stand, fuel pump just left of center

72T1-75.jpg

Porsche 356 (356A) Parts<original 356 A Porsche case bought from VW. image.jpeg.880e66ecebaf0b6c9116dc8519b7defe.jpeg356 , 3 piece.

The 3 piece was designed (year wise) between the Reimspiess design and the 61 VW engineering redesign. It's fuel pump remains in the original position, but a removable generator stand is new.

image.jpeg.6a94b0c486478e971fc1b0d651c77dec.jpeg

Unique to all of these engines is one cam lobe operates two valves.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pfeil said:

What unique feature do these engines have in common.

64.jpg

1938-1961, 1938-1965 in the standard model.

image.jpeg.827650bec438abd6c4ad44e7358715f6.jpegFranz Reimspiess design1960 Volkswagen Beetle | Midwest Car Exchange cast in Generator stand

Fuel pump to the left of distributor

1961 and later VW engineering designVolkswagen Kombi 1600:picture # 1 , reviews, news, specs, buy car

image.jpeg.13b07135cb10838886f98b077413cb50.jpegBolt on Generator stand, fuel pump just left of center

72T1-75.jpg

Porsche 356 (356A) Parts<original 356 A Porsche case bought from VW. image.jpeg.880e66ecebaf0b6c9116dc8519b7defe.jpeg356 , 3 piece.

The 3 piece was designed (year wise) between the Reimspiess design and the 61 VW engineering redesign. It's fuel pump remains in the original position, but a removable generator stand is new.

image.jpeg.6a94b0c486478e971fc1b0d651c77dec.jpeg

Unique to all of these engines is one cam lobe operates two valves.

Those VW air cooled engines were tough and reliable. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)