12,000 for paint materials ????

rwchatham

What colour? I havent used any but have been told that red is crazy expensive. When I was thinking about painting my car about 10 years ago I had no idea what automotive paint cost. I knew I could get a gallon of house paint at Sherwin Williams for $30. I was talking to a friend and he said he had just bought a gallon for his car and it was something like $100. I was floored. Now a premium gallon of SW house paint retails for over $100!!

15 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

What colour? I havent used any but have been told that red is crazy expensive. When I was thinking about painting my car about 10 years ago I had no idea what automotive paint cost. I knew I could get a gallon of house paint at Sherwin Williams for $30. I was talking to a friend and he said he had just bought a gallon for his car and it was something like $100. I was floored. Now a premium gallon of SW house paint retails for over $100!!

It was red but doesn’t really matter anymore , just bought a quart of blue and it was 400. 

• Like 2

Red paint as always cost more then other colors. Even in a tube that you paint pictures with, it was 4o years ago when I ordered paint for the year for the art classes I taught.

Pigment cost is what makes it more , not the other thinners, etc that are used

Go to an art store and check out the price difference between a tube of red paint and one of just about any other color.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Red paint as always cost more then other colors. Even in a tube that you paint pictures with, it was 4o years ago when I ordered paint for the year for the art classes I taught.

Pigment cost is what makes it more , not the other thinners, etc that are used

Go to an art store and check out the price difference between a tube of red paint and one of just about any other color.

I painted in oils years ago. I haven't in a very long time. I guess like everything else it has gone up in leaps and bounds. 

IMG_3494.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

• Like 12

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I knew a guy that was repairing his late model ram pickup. The factory red for that was something stupid like $900 for a quart. 

The good news is unlike back in the lacquer and acrylic enamel days, a quart of new paint would probably paint the whole truck! This is assuming BC/CC system.

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Red paint as always cost more then other colors

An exception to this was Sikkens paint, all colors same price. I guess they just averaged the price. It was an expensive line of paint but it worked well in our shop. 

Frank, Unless it is yellow, I don’t even want to think about how many gallons of paint it took to cover my truck properly.  We even tried three different primer colors to see which one worked best

FEAF6B2C-F815-4490-A0D9-D8F698979705.jpeg

B2068CE6-A575-44D4-A280-2709F1D41F7C.jpeg

• Like 11

Now that's a nice truck!👍

• Like 4

In paint, enamels dry by oxidation, a process that can not be reversed. Lacquer dries by evaporation, a process that can be reversed. 

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

What are the chances the UNOPENED gallon is still good? $$$$$$$$$$$

Depends upon the kind of paint - lacquer, enamel , or acrylic enamel?  I have used lacquer that is sealed well and was 35 years old sprayed and dried well no issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have sprayed single stage acrylic enamel from sealed partial left-over cans (mostly black, but other colors too) that were more than five years old.  As long as they were thoroughly mixed to get all the solids off the bottom of the can, they were fine.  Single stage does not “dry”.  It “cures” through a chemical reaction with the reducer and catalyst (hardener) when sprayed.  As long as the can is well sealed, and no reducer or hardener added, it has a pretty long shelf life.

Tom

• Like 2

Also, other things to consider for the reasons items like paint increasing are the added cost for mining and some of the more intense constraints on the manufacturing process for non-organics. The increases (in everything, not just paint) is being magnified because of many of those contraints on business and manufacturing. Rules, regulations, and operating expenses aren't getting cheaper anytime soon. Unfortunately, there are other factors that we haven't even mentioned that negatively compound the operating expenses effect (like gas prices as one example, or insurance etc...).  I believe these are only the beginning stages of a effect that inflation causes, eventually it will shake every industry to it's core. If we don't see a shift in some of these constraints soon it may not end in some of our lifetimes...

For now, we all have to bite that bullet. 

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, vermontboy said:

When we bought paint for my dads Pierce Arrow back in 1961 I remember that Ditzler Nitrocellulose Black was $7 per gallon. You didn't need a spray booth back then either. You could vacuum up the overspray. 

Median annual household income in 1961 was $5,700. What's your point?

• Like 1

My wife is an expert on how much things cost in the 1960s. And they are still her reference point. Seems like I here the term "costs a fortune" throw around a lot.

Here is a breakdown for a quart of black for a little tow behind trailer about the first of March:

Base coat 1qt.

Reducer 1qt.

Clear hardener 1qt

Total: $278.00

I keep mentioning continuity in the hobby as something that helps avoid surprises. My belief keeps getting stronger.

It is also my strong belief that when a professional has to take three tries to get something like a paint job right the customer pays for material and labor for three paint jobs. Seen it too many times.

• Thanks 3

In Idaho over charging is forced on businesses. This is done for many reasons. All of which will be met with the wall of silence. Grown adults acting like they have no clue. A wall will be hit at some point. Can’t wait to get my stuff out of there. No need to change my name nothing wrong with it. I wonder if I changed my name, would someone take my name? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

Median annual household income in 1961 was $5,700. What's your point?

When I quit my job as a tool and die maker in 1968 to become a flight instructor my gross pay was $3.65 per hour. Somehow life seemed a lot simpler and worry free back then..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I like the Rodney Dangerfield thing. I once hired a displaced mid-level Xerox exec who came to me through a reference in one of those golden parachute support groups. He was still dropping the last three zeros when he did accounting. He saw glowing and immodest value in my operation. He referred me to a "business coach" quite similar to the clip. I consented to a meeting.The so called coach found fault with everything and topped it off by saying my business card looked like some High School kid made it. I can quote his conclusion - "I have know idea how you got where you are and have done as well as you have." Three ex-Xerox people were working for me.  A business coach. I still smile today when I think of his little shared office in the corner of the half vacant office park.

I remember 1968 as well. That was 50 years ago. But then again, that was 50 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember running my business, at what would be the height of your career. You are hit with a pay to play. Throw on top of exposing crimes by the State. And on top of that finding out you are set up to be walked into fraud. Your choices are clear. Free will kool aid as captain says. Or take a dive. Not a fan of being a chump, I followed the teachings of my spiritual leader, the great Dangerfield.

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

I remember 1968 as well. That was 50 years ago. But then again, that was 50 years ago.

To get back to paint...............To paint my 1954 (Buick powered) Ford I bought a gallon of Titian red Duco Dulux paint. I remember it was $20 because I was shocked at the price. That gallon of paint cost me 5+ hours of wages. At $1000 per gallon I wonder how many hours the average car guy has to work today to cover it..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

As long as people keep paying the inflated prices they will keep on raising them because they know we will keep buying them.

I'm guilty of this too but I need my paints for my modeling projects...I'm not going to quit a major part of my life because some bean counters want another ivory backscratcher. 

And the cycle continues...

5 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I would like to hear an informed scientific explanation as to why modern auto paint costs this much. Plus the facts about whether it is actually worth it or just another example of ridiculous profit margins at work.

Knock yourself out

The Demand for Coatings Raw Materials to 2022 - American Coatings Association (paint.org)

Raw materials Coatings industry under heavy pressure | European Coatings (european-coatings.com)

A Paint Shortage Is Hitting the Country, Experts Warn — Best Life (bestlifeonline.com)

Below are some more lagging indicators, they warned us it was coming. I really don't care to see a realtime chart cause I know it has to be depressing.

I'm a bit shocked that folks are just now becoming seriously aggitated. 
I left the painting industry years ago because of the constant increase of raw materials on a semi annual basis. Can't imagine the struggle some owners are faced with nowdays. 

RAW MATERIALS PRICE INCREASE (linkedin.com)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I bought two gallons of Honduras Maroon for the last car I painted 20+ years ago used half of one and it went with the car when I sold it. What are the chances the UNOPENED gallon is still good? $$$$$$$$$$$

Very good Im sure, Ive used OLD paint that as properly sealed and no problems at all.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

As long as people keep paying the inflated prices they will keep on raising them because they know we will keep buying them.

I'm guilty of this too but I need my paints for my modeling projects...I'm not going to quit a major part of my life because some bean counters want another ivory backscratcher. 

And the cycle continues...

Those little bottles of Testors paint that all us old guys used as kids went from $1.99 a bottle to $3.99 a bottle at my local ACE hardware store.  Want to calculate how much that is a gallon!

• Haha 1