Mark Smith Estate - Big Car Auction

edinmass

A bunch of us will be attending the sale of the remaining big cars in Lynchburg on April 7th. If any locals or others here want to have dinner on Thursday night let me know. The "Young Guns" crowd will be on hand. Bring your checkbook.......or should I say, your credit line. "This thing is gonna be huge!" 😀

https://www.goodingco.com/auction/estate-of-mark-smith-auction

• Like 2

Strongly suggest making lodging reservations ASAP. If Liberty University has anything going on during that time everything in Lynchburg will be booked solid, and the Liberty crowd often gets priority.

LU has some type of firewall on their website where I wasn't able to look at their April event calendar.

3 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

Thank you! There are only two that I want and only 24 Lottery drawings until April. I've been looking at this Henry Austin Clark photo since 1961, one that I'd really like. Wonder if it is the Touring car Elmer Bimus owned in Brattleboro, Vt.?

DSCF6186.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

While I didn't consider myself a "Lincoln" guy,

The 1930 Lincoln Model L Sport Roadster

1930 Lincoln Model L Sport Roadster

and the 1932 Chrysler CG Imperial Custom Roadster

1932 Chrysler CG Imperial Custom Roadster

might fit my garage,

but likely not my wallet

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, West Peterson said:

The Imperial is cool, but since it hasn't been sold out the back door yet, I suspect the big guns are uninterested in it. Not enough good answers in regard to the question of its authenticity, I suspect.

I believe the auction catalog will spell out its history accurately.

Mark liked to say it was a New York auto show car which I believe it was not. However, it was done in.period, And I expect a decent premium over a factory example.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

While I didn't consider myself a "Lincoln" guy,

The 1930 Lincoln Model L Sport Roadster

1930 Lincoln Model L Sport Roadster

and the 1932 Lincoln CG Imperial Custom Roadster

1932 Chrysler CG Imperial Custom Roadster

might fit my garage,

but likely not my wallet

This would be closer to apples to apples.  Although still not 100% since I used a stock 31 Chrysler Imperial and a  stock  32 Lincoln KB.    Chrysler had some great styling in the early 30s.   Lincoln was always more conservative.

1932 Lincoln Model KB | SuperCars.net

1931 Chrysler Imperial CG Roadster | S169 | Monterey 2018

The 32 Chrysler Imperial is fantastic and also brings stupid money.

1932 Chrysler Imperial Custom Eight | SuperCars.net

• Like 4

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Mark liked to say it was a New York auto show car which I believe it was not.

I totally agree about the NY show car status; a bit of myth creeping into the story. But a fantastic looking car , I saw it in person several times when MS had it at Steve Babinsky's shop in NJ. and got the chance to look it over fairly well.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the back door comment but quite a few cars were left to collectors that Mark felt were the right caretakers.  Another major part of the collection will remain intact and be in a museum setting to honor Mark.  Not sure how much I am supposed to say about this so I leave out the details.  I would also suspect there are more cars in this auction than is currently on the website.

• Like 3

Yes....a fair amount of cars to be listed still.........

The museum getting the cars is well known, but I shall not spill the beans.........but I think it's an open secret.

It will be an interesting sale......we will post photos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

The museum getting the cars is well known, but I shall not spill the beans.........but I think it's an open secret.

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Not sure how much I am supposed to say about this so I leave out the details

Now I know why all these spy balloons, are being sent out!!! 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Did the White steamer live in Connecticut for a fair amount of time? 

One of them did........Louis B's car.

• Like 2

I would get a letter from my bank and attend, but it would just say "do not let this guy buy any cars!". 😉🤣👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

I intend to buy several cars there. I wonder if they will let me take them home before the check clears. 🤔

Its the only way I will get one home!

I think the concept of “strong pricing results “ will be redefined at this sale. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I'm not sure about the back door comment but quite a few cars were left to collectors that Mark felt were the right caretakers.  Another major part of the collection will remain intact and be in a museum setting to honor Mark.  Not sure how much I am supposed to say about this so I leave out the details.  I would also suspect there are more cars in this auction than is currently on the website.

No need saying anything more...

I'd imagine they will supply sufficient details closer to the time of auction as it says on their website. I doubt they'll let these go off without providing more information to the buyers...

"Additional images and complete lot descriptions will be available closer to the Auction. Please check back for more information."

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Every car collector should be so lucky to grow up to be Mark Smith.  The guy had a great eye for cars.   He also played the long game.  Everything was for sale at his number and sometimes that might take a decade or two for the buyer to come around.

Great stuff NEVER goes out of style.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Reviewing the catalog - this is 

a sleeper - in my opinion.

Too bad there are no interior 

images - but the description notes

a largely original

interior:

https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1937-pierce-arrow-model-c-travelodge/?filtersInput[auctionType][0]=Live Auction&filtersInput[auctionYear][0]=2023&filtersInput[liveAuctionVenue][0]=Virginia&sortBy=ENDING_SOONEST&pageNumber=5

37D3FF4D-0E2B-492C-8293-B2DB25AC383B.jpeg.a074b62e88eacde3f8f91ffcb55ba904.jpeg

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

The full catalog is up:

https://www.goodingco.com/lots

A few comments:

1.  Gooding is a top notch operation so I'm a little surprised by some of the descriptions.

2.  It will be interesting to see if the following verbiage attached to every lot suppresses prices or not.   No problem for dealers, but a big deal for most retail collectors

The Estate has compiled available title and/or registration paperwork for the Vehicles offered in the Auction and will provide such paperwork to the Buyer if it is available. However, as set forth more fully in the Conditions of Sale, neither the Estate nor Gooding makes any representation or warranty with respect to any existing certificate of title or registration with regard to any Lot in the Auction. Any Lot may be sold on a Bill of Sale. By participating in this Auction, all bidders and buyers recognize that Estate and Gooding have expressly disclaimed all such warranties concerning the availability or sufficiency of any title or registration documentation.

I'm assuming what this means is that some cars have titles in Mark's name, some cars have open titles and some cars have nada and it is up to you as a bidder to go find out before you spend any money.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

From past recollection I believe it is illegal to sell a vehicle in Virginia that has no title.  Obviously, the problem can be worked around, but may be a hassle.  (Don't ask me how I know.)

I would think so if its not disclosed, but can one get away with it as advertised? I have been to multiple auctions in different states, and typically when no title is available they will say bill of sale only. I dont know why the secrecy with this one? They have to know by now which cars have titles and which ones dont!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You'd hope Gooding has squared all this away with VA DMV, and maybe arranged to have a knowledgeable DMV rep on site along with a Notary Public- which the auction company should have on staff. Virginia doesn't require titles to be notarized but other states do. I would think a bill of sale would require notarization.

That's putting a lot on a NP without ironclad proof of ownership history! 

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

That's putting a lot on a NP without ironclad proof of ownership history! 

A Notary Public can only authenticate a signature, not what's in the signed document. Awaiting correction from a legal person, but that's what I have been told.