If your old car....back east here don't start this morning, stay home.

Dandy Dave

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

The key is the block heater.  Can't keep one in my DK45 S Kioti tractor.  I have put 4 in it and they get me 2-5 times then they fail.

Friend of mine needed a block heater for an off brand Diesel tractor and could not find one. I suggested an electric heater under the oil pan. He bought an electric frying pan for $3 bucks at a thrift store and strapped it to the bottom of the engine. Worked great, and it was even adjustable for temp. Just plug it in a couple of hours before you need to use the tractor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Edward Cole, president of General Motors from 1967 to 1974, always asked for carburetor engineer, Tom Toal to be his driver when he visited the Rochester Products plant. With similar engineering backgrounds quite a few tales were told. I got to hear a few from Tom and was great one came from Tom.

In the 1930s GM did cold weather tests in the field by sending a team up into northern Minnesota where they would stay as guests for a week or so on local farms to test under real conditions and share the farmer's experiences.

Around 1934 or so when cars still had four section hoods a farmer told the group that on really cold night he would open the hood and throw in a few chickens for body heat and insulation for an easier start in the morning. That was a good story for after dinner on a cold night.

Later that night a couple of team members slipped out in the dark and tied a bag full of chicken feathers and some bones to the fan of the test car that was a similar model to the farmer's.

As it was told, Mr. Cole did the test that morning in front of a group of bystanders who heard an awful clatter and saw feathers flying through the hood louvers. "Oh my God, I started the wrong car and killed the chickens" that was the first thought and remembered 60 years later when I heard it in the early 1990's.

Well, what would one expect from young engineers freezing on a farm in Minnesota?

Curt Rice on Twitter: "Minnesota: Proving it could always be worse!  http://t.co/mB22GBE5fn" / Twitter

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

...its far colder here for months........i often wonder when i go to car wash in -35... 

9 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

Up here it’s -24 degrees this morning. 

This topic would be most interesting if people

told where they were located.  Miami, Florida?

Miami, Ohio?  Alaska?

A few years ago, an update of forum software

deleted the locations which some people had put

in their user profiles.  Feel free to update that

location if you wish, for everyone's reference,

or just tell us in your comments.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got my daughter out on the tubing trail.  Goes well but we only got about 7 or 8 runs in.  Even with a Gator on the wind was howling again.  

Then went out with the wife and we took our bulldog on his 1.5 mile trail hike.  He acted like it was summer out.  Really hoofing it up the hills warmed me up,  but you could feel the wind blowing through your clothes and the sun has since disappeared.  Computer said it's +4 without the windchill.    Forecast was for +12.  Bet tonight's low is alot colder than predicted. 

We are in Lake George NY

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Cold air is refreshing, as long as you have a

comfortable warm place to retreat to.

Atop Mount Washington, in New Hampshire, U. S. A.,

the temperature was reportedly -46 degrees.

Top wind gusts were 127 miles per hour, in that 

windy location that holds the record for wind speed.

Here's a brief news excerpt:

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I won't take them out if there is salt on the roads. The Highway Departments use it heavy around here.

Dandy Dave, PLEASE keep that Riviera convertible in the garage and safe during NY winters!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Cold air is refreshing, as long as you have a

comfortable warm place to retreat to.

Atop Mount Washington, in New Hampshire, U. S. A.,

the temperature was reportedly -46 degrees.

Top wind gusts were 127 miles per hour, in that 

windy location that holds the record for wind speed.

When I read that forecast yesterday I did a double take. Thought it was a typo. Try and stay warm, everyone!

• Like 1

Reading about these temperatures and snow accumulations makes me grateful to live along the Middle Border area of VA and NC. Rarely gets below mid teens and to date this year we've had no ice or snow, and weatherchucks aren't forecasting any thru February which is usually the worst month here for wintry weather.

I'm a NWS spotter and when I called in Thursday's rainfall report, the guys in Blacksburg asked how I liked this year's winter weather. Told them that those who like cold, snow and ice may have their share and mine too!

It's been pretty wet here this winter season. My yard is plumb mushy.  But the Camellia my grandmother rooted 50 years ago is blooming right on schedule. Usually starts blooming 1st or 2nd week of February. Cold and even ice storms don't seem to faze it. 20230204_160040.jpg

• Like 6

I knew a fellow who swore that when he lived in Alaska and owned a VW Beetle and the weather got seriously cold he would go outside a couple of hours before he had to leave and light off a brazier of charcoal. After the flames went down he said he put it under the oil pan and let it sit till he was ready to go. He swore it worked. Good story either way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

This topic would be most interesting if people

told where they were located.  Miami, Florida?

Miami, Ohio?  Alaska?

A few years ago, an update of forum software

deleted the locations which some people had put

in their user profiles.  Feel free to update that

location if you wish, for everyone's reference,

or just tell us in your comments.

No problem! Northern Maine. Fort Fairfield to be specific. I updated my profile settings so it should show up now.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I was in school with little cash in central Illinois I had a VW that burned oil but I use to run an extension cord from the house 13 guys shared out to the big with a light bulb to put under it. As it burned more oil every fill up I started using more STP to refill it. The more I used I started putting a high watt bulb under it. When it got colder and I was using straight STP I had to go to a flood light. When the smoke from the dripped oil started coming thru the rear hood I knew it was ready to start. Made it thru the whole winter then sold the car to another college student and threw in the extension cord and bulbs for free! 
dave s 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I knew a fellow who swore that when he lived in Alaska and owned a VW Beetle and the weather got seriously cold he would go outside a couple of hours before he had to leave and light off a brazier of charcoal. After the flames went down he said he put it under the oil pan and let it sit till he was ready to go. He swore it worked. Good story either way.

Back in the day it was common for bush pilots to drain the engine oil and bring it inside next to the stove over night. Never a problem starting in the morning. one airplane i flew used 50 wt oil. It had an oil dilution system that could be used to dilute the oil with avgas before you shut it down. Made starting in cold weather a lot easier........bob

• Like 4

My Father always drove junk cars. And winter is cold in northeast Illinois. He would do the light bulb trick(running a line from the house as his garage did not have electricity) and bring the battery in every night to keep it warm on the trickle charger(all he had). He took it out every morning before going to work(usually about 5AM) and about half the time the car didn't start anyway.( He never did any maintenance like tune-ups or oil changes) He then walked to work about 2 miles and delivered mail all day, Then walk home and try again for the next day. He was dedicated to earning a living

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

When I had the farm up near Binghamton on those fridged nites I'd throw an old blanket over the engine and put a 100 watt trouble lite under the car. Worked a treat........Bob

The main tractors we had on the farm from the early 1970's until Dad sold the farm were 2 John Deeres, A 4030 and a 4230. Also an Allis Chalmers 175 with a loader. None of these would start under 50F degrees. We always had to plug the block heaters in a few hours before we needed them. Nice that the newer direct injection Diesel tractors start a lot easier in the cold.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Got my daughter out on the tubing trail.  Goes well but we only got about 7 or 8 runs in.  Even with a Gator on the wind was howling again.  

Then went out with the wife and we took our bulldog on his 1.5 mile trail hike.  He acted like it was summer out.  Really hoofing it up the hills warmed me up,  but you could feel the wind blowing through your clothes and the sun has since disappeared.  Computer said it's +4 without the windchill.    Forecast was for +12.  Bet tonight's low is alot colder than predicted. 

We are in Lake George NY

Where in Lake George? I have a summer house in Pilot Knob Bay. Much too cold to use now!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dship said:

Dandy Dave, PLEASE keep that Riviera convertible in the garage and safe during NY winters!

Usually it is inside and not driven much at all never mind the winter. This year my old friends of 50 years where the car was stored sold their place. The closing was on The 1/31/23 So I had to move the cars. I had not driven either the 82 Buick Riv convertible or the 1971 Ford LTD convertible since covid started. No place to really show them. I did start them and move them around the yard from time to time, and then put them back inside. The Ford LTD I brought back to the farm here a few days ago after we had a good rain and a dry road a few days after. Then it snowed and there is salt on the roads again so the Riv is sitting at the other shop after getting a long overdue inspection. I have to move a few things to get them both back inside here at the farm. I won't drive the Riv over here until another good rain and warm enough temps to keep the highway departments from spreading salt all over the roads. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When my wife and I were first married, she had a diesel Rabbit.  We live in NJ, but belonged to a ski club with a lodge in Vermont.  We'd whiz up there after work Friday, have some adult beverages and go to bed.  Next morning after breakfast we'd go skiing, come back for Saturday night partying, get up Sunday, go skiing, and roar home.   In those days cars - especially diesels  - were reluctant to start in a Vermont winter.  (Minus 20 was a mild day!)  So, when we arrived in Vermont late Friday night, we'd top the car off with winterized diesel, go to the lodge and unpack, and leave the car running all night.  Next morning we'd get into a warm car and go skiing, leaving the engine running in the ski area parking lot.  Repeat Saturday night and Sunday morning and drive home.  A night's

idling burned 1.6 gallon of diesel.  A low price to pay compared with getting someone out to start the car, especially since everyone else in Vermont wanted his car started, too.  Before anyone worried about global warming!

• Like 2

CRAZY......here to ......-35 yesturday .....now calling for rain Monday !!??.......rain in the middle of Canada in February can't get much crazier either.......everybody has had enough ........and now even shootin down weather balloons...

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

CRAZY......here to ......-35 yesturday .....now calling for rain Monday !!??.......rain in the middle of Canada in February can't get much crazier either.......and now we will never know why......cuz they shot down the weather balloon

Who shot it down? The Canadian Air Force?

3 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I won't drive the Riv over here until another good rain and warm enough temps to keep the highway departments from spreading salt all over the roads. 

Now you have to worry about the Brine,  which seems to do nothing.  It can be a 50 degree day without a cloud in the sky,  but if they are calling for snow in a couple of days they go out and Brine the roads.  I said if it really worked ,  when you got a light dusting,  saying a 1/4 inch or so,  it would be melted in the streaks the brine left but it doesn't.  Get caught behind one or have to go down a road they freshly brined and it's like driving on the wettest winter day possible.  Sucks for old car guys trying to get that last nice day in before the first storms in the fall.  You never know when or where they are going to do it.

I've noticed the few roads they don't brine,  seem absolutely no different than the ones they do during or after the storm. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

We got snow here in Victoria the other day... 

😐

😳 Thought it was summertime Down Under?!

3 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

The main tractors we had on the farm from the early 1970's until Dad sold the farm were 2 John Deeres, A 4030 and a 4230. Also an Allis Chalmers 175 with a loader. None of these would start under 50F degrees.

So maybe them tractors were smart like mules? A horse will work itself to death. A mule will either stop work or in some cases refuse to even start.

Back before fuel injection and computer-controlled engines, my habit in really cold weather was always to spin an engine over a few times and then set the choke so it would start. Got a little oil moving and let me know the water pump wasn't frozen. Now the computer and EFI won't let me do that. Fires right up to whatever fast idle speed the magic box says it needs.

Good thing I pay attention to antifreeze concentration, no?

• Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to If your old car is ..back east here don't start this morning, stay home.

Nudging 50 degrees right now.

Back in the 1980s I had a discussion with a person writing a paper on air conditioning design in tropical climates. We figured it was easy when it was hot and humid all the time. These 60 degree swings are a killer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Now you have to worry about the Brine,  which seems to do nothing.

11 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I've noticed the few roads they don't brine,  seem absolutely no different than the ones they do during or after the storm. 

I would love to smack the individual who made the decision about 20 years ago to brine roads here in Southern Vajenya. They'll do it on an iffy forecast. Then if we don't get snow or ice, just rain, the rain washes it off the pavement onto the shoulder. Since critters like salt, then you have to deal with them hanging out at the edge of the road.

And then they wonder why there's so many deer crashes.

Up till about 2000, DOT would sand the roads. Snowplow on the front, sand spreader on the back. And people got where they needed to go. Now, if a weatherchuck says the S-word, the big tanker trucks are out spraying brine.

There used to be drive-thru car washes here that sprayed off the undercarriage. I'd take the vehicles thru those after a brining episode. The real estate got to be worth too much and all those got torn down to build something else. I now have to go 20 or more miles into NC to find one. The one over there just got expanded so it's probably not going anywhere!

• Like 2

What a difference 24 hours makes!!  -8 yesterday, Barely did 1/4 mile walk with the dog, and hibernated!!  Then a warmup - took the Packard out today for a little air around the neighborhood.  Maybe 30 or 40 minutes, got things warmed up a bit.  50 degrees and dry roads!! ( Fb pals, we posted a video of our ride today, itching for Spring!!) 😊

FB_IMG_1675634500264.jpg

• Like 3