Check Your Spare Tires

TAKerry

As the title says, check your spare tires old car or new. A few years ago my wife called me as she had a flat. Luckily it was 10 minutes from home in the local library parking lot. I pulled the spare down, and lo and behold it was flat also. I got into the habit of checking the spare tires about once a year to make sure they are serviceable just in case.

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

As the title says, check your spare tires old car or new. A few years ago my wife called me as she had a flat. Luckily it was 10 minutes from home in the local library parking lot. I pulled the spare down, and lo and behold it was flat also. I got into the habit of checking the spare tires about once a year to make sure they are serviceable just in case.

Excellent advice. I too learned this the hard way. 😲

• Like 2

I check the spares on all my modern and antique cars every oil change.

For the modern cars, that is also the time I pull the flashlights from the glove boxes and put in a fresh set of rechargeable batteries so they are ready when needed.

Tires also get rotated every other oil change.

Checking the spare is also a good way to make sure the trunk is cleaned out and doesn't have a bunch of unneeded stuff rolling around in there.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Just now, Harold said:

I over-inflate my spare tires by about 5 PSI as an extra precaution in case I don't check them for a while. 

I go at least 5 over when I check them.

You can easily let air out on the side of the road but you can't easily put air back in.

• Like 1

Speaking of spares, I use one of those modern tiny spares in my 35 Buick's trunk, I didn;t like the rear mounted spare with my luggage rack.

I told a friend with a 40 Ford Coupe what I has done, because he wanted more trunk space.   Ford wide 5 X 5.5 pattern.   Anybody know of

a modern car with that bolt pattern?????????????????

482669652_Buickjpg.jpg.f5a59d9e0fa46d966475eb7de61de528.jpg

On 11/18/2022 at 2:35 PM, TAKerry said:

Great advice but I'm too old to get down and crawl under my truck to check the spare.  Actually, getting down is no problem...it's the getting back up!  🤣  So I make sure the cell phone is charged and the road service insurance is paid up.

I would check my spare if I could FIND one! All the doughnuts spares that fit my Park Avenues are old and failed (either slipped belts or large holes in them from dry rot). Tire stores will not buy and mount new tires on the rims. I'm open to suggestions. And no, full size does not fit in the spare tire well.🙁

I went to the link Zepher had and put in Buick then Park Avenue and nothing came up! Not even the bolt circle measurement.:blink:

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

I went to the link Zepher had and put in Buick then Park Avenue and nothing came up! Not even the bolt circle measurement

I tried Buick Park Avenue and also saw that nothing came up.

Not sure why because I checked a few other cars and bolt patterns came up.

Did you try searching by bolt pattern and see what you got?
Normally there is a very long list of vehicles that use the same bolt pattern if you scroll down.

If you have a pickup or SUV with the spare located under the floor behind the rear bumper and live in the 'rust-belt' (as I do), in addition to checking air pressure you need to periodically lower the spare tire, hose-off all of the accumulated crap and then lubricate the hoist mechanism.  During winter months I have gone so far as removing the spare and tossing it in the bed of my pickup.  That way I know it's accessible if needed...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Great advice but I'm too old to get down and crawl under my truck to check the spare.  Actually, getting down is no problem...it's the getting back up!  🤣  So I make sure the cell phone is charged and the road service insurance is paid up.

I do not disagree with this. Im not that old but crawling around on the ground has been better days behind me. My daily drivers are an expedition and a f150. There is a crank mechanism to lower the spares through a hole in the bumper. Once on the ground they can be a PIA to move around. I try to make a point usually in the spring and fall to take them down and check pressures. I am not one to call for help if I think I do the job myself, so I would hate to be stranded and wait for someone to show up. On the other hand my wife hit a curb pulling into her office last summer. She called to say she blew the tire on her car. No biggie, told her to call AAA, they had a guy there promptly, put the spare on the bad tire in the trunk and she was good for her ride home.

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

If you have a pickup or SUV with the spare located under the floor behind the rear bumper and live in the 'rust-belt' (as I do), in addition to checking air pressure you need to periodically lower the spare tire, hose-off all of the accumulated crap and then lubricate the hoist mechanism.  During winter months I have gone so far as removing the spare and tossing it in the bed of my pickup.  That way I know it's accessible if needed...

I keep the spare tire for my truck in the bed year round except when I need to haul something. I do that for a number of reasons. First, if I have a flat (especially when towing) having the spare in the bed makes it much more accessible. Second, living in the rust belt the spare gets hit with all the chemicals, etc. which ruins the tire and wheel. Third, the hoist mechanisms are very easy to defeat which makes stealing the spare tire EASY. I am fortunate that I have a lockable cap on my truck so stealing the spare is harder than the hoist mechanism.

1 hour ago, Ed Luddy said:

This was the day I had 2 flats on the busiest highway in Canada. Spare was junk also! Try to find 14 inch tires in 2022. Ended up having to buy a trailer tire and found one used one.

I ran into the same problem when driving to Fall Hershey in 2021. Had a tire blow out and the size I needed was not available at any tire store in the Hershey/Harrisburg area. My spare was a donut which was way to old to use. Ended up waiting 2+ hours for a tow and then had to use my modern truck to get to Hershey around 6+ hours later than planned. I have since replaced all the tires and added a new, full size spare.

In addition to checking your spares for proper inflation one should also check the AGE of ALL the tires and the Spare. The blowout I mentioned above was due to me NOT replacing tires that had exceeded the age I should have been using. Those tires were always properly inflated, garage kept and looked just great (ie no cracks or signs of failure). That didn't matter because they failed due to age.

Also, be aware that AAA is NOT what it used to be when it comes to some of the services they provide. If you have a flat and need a spare tire put on, they will usually send a contractor that does that sort of work or handles lockouts (usually driving a van or pickup) and is not driving a tow truck. Those contractors tend to arrive on-site much faster than a tow truck. AAA tow truck contractors are in MUCH shorter supply in many areas and one can easily wait for 2+ hours (even during 9-5 M-F hours). I have experienced that first hand more than once in the last two years in a couple different areas. Lucky for me it was not cold out and my vehicle was safely off the road.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

...I am not one to call for help if I think I do the job myself, so I would hate to be stranded and wait for someone to show up...

Yeah, I hate not being able to do everything I used to - welcome to old age! 😡 But I guess it beats the alternative.  Anyway, an advantage of being retired is usually not having to be anyplace at a certain time, so I don't have to be in a hurry to get there.  I don't drive much beyond local anymore and I keep my ride well maintained (including the tires on the ground) to at least minimize the potential for breakdowns.  Sometimes a kindly passerby will stop to help the pathetic old geezer stranded beside the road.  And yes, I realize not all passersby are kindly - without going into details, I'll just say I'm prepared for that as well.

• Like 2

I blew a rear tire just as I was going under an underpass on the 38 and lost the hubcap. I stopped on the ramp and walked back to get the hubcap when I saw a squad car come down the opposite cloverleaf ramp then go back up on the highway. I thought ok no big deal I’m far enough off the road to change the tire when the cop pulled up behind my car with his mats lights on. Three cops got out off the squad. The driver was a Sargent and told the two rookie trainees to get to work changing my tire. I told him I can do it or I shouldn’t be driving but he insisted. Then he said I needed to show him the car while they did the work. All three were great guys, very helpful and courteous. I sent a letter to the Mayor of Lexington and the police chief telling them how good the cops were that day. About two weeks later I get pulled over in the 38 I certainly wasn’t speeding. The same Sargent walks up to the window and thanks me for the letter as he had never had anyone do that in his career. He just wanted to be sure I knew he and the rookies appreciated it. If someone helps you be sure to take a few minutes to recognize them somehow. 
dave s 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I wrote this article many years ago for our local club newsletter.  I think it bears repeating in this thread.

Time to Re-Tire?

By Mark Shaw

It all started Friday evening before Memorial Day weekend, when my son called via his cell phone.  He was stranded on the side of the road outside Spokane. The 1992 Chevy Astro-van he was using for his summer painting business had just quit while he was on his way back to his dorm at Eastern Washington University.  His regular car, a Dodge Stratus, was parked at our home in Vancouver WA.  So, since we didn’t know the extent of the problem, I agreed to haul his car to Spokane on my open car trailer and swap it for the van.  This would solve his transportation problem and I could fix the van at home.  Meanwhile, I called a friend in Spokane to help him tow his van off the freeway and get him back to his dorm that night.

Saturday morning, I loaded his car on my open car trailer and headed East on highway 84 through the Columbia River Gorge toward Spokane.  When I got past the lush green part of the gorge where the scenery turns desert-like, the 90+ degree heat was too much for the left front trailer tire and the tread peeled like it was a re-cap.  I pulled over and parked with the trailer tire just on the shoulder of the road so I could get my scissor jack on the pavement to jack up the trailer.  I soon learned that although the jack for my Dodge Durango was ideal for jacking up the trailer, the Durango lug wench did not fit the trailer lug nuts.  I was feeling good about being prepared for this because I also carry a socket set in my Durango and it worked just fine to remove the old rusty lug nuts. 

I was also pleased that I had the forethought to buy a spare for the trailer at Dick’s Tire Factory where they mounted a usable used tire on an old rim they let me have for about twenty bucks the year before. But, when I tried to mount the spare, I discovered that the five lug pattern on the spare rim was slightly different than the trailer rim (So much for good intentions).  So, I then had to un-hitch the trailer, put the spare and the trailer wheel into the Durango and head out to find a service station to re-mount my spare tire on the trailer rim.  Since Arlington was closer than Boardman, I had to go about ten miles East before I could get off the freeway to go twenty miles West back to Arlington.  The little town of Arlington has two “gas stations” where you can get gas, snacks, beer, etc.  But you cannot get a tire changed!  When I asked around for a place to get my tire fixed, I was told to go to Boardman (about thirty miles East) or to a fabrication shop about two miles south of town. 

I headed south only to find the shop closed for the three-day weekend!  So, I went back to Arlington and asked for other options.  One of the sharper “gas station” attendants suggested I call the tow truck service that operated from a closed “service station” right next door.  I called, and when the driver finally arrived, he advised me to go to the fabrication shop two miles south of town.  I told him it was closed & he immediately had a few colorful comments regarding the reliability of the owner.  I used my best-selling skills to convince him to use the service station equipment to re-mount my tire.  It must have worked because to my surprise, he only charged me $10 to do the job. I drove back to my trailer, mounted the tire, hitched up and continued on my way three hours later.  All went well unloading the car and loading the van (if you consider winching a heavy vehicle onto a trailer with a come-along in 90-degree heat going well). 

The next morning, I was on my way for the return trip to Vancouver with the Astro-van on the trailer.  I went West on I-90 and South on SR 395 to I-84 toward Portland.  When I got down SR 395 South exactly halfway between I-90 and the Tri-Cities at mile post 60, the right rear trailer tire peeled just like the left front one did the day before.  Again, I pulled off the road again in 90+ degree heat.  I had no spare for the trailer, it was Sunday, in the middle of a three-day weekend and I was in the middle of nowhere!

“What would MacGyver do?”  While removing the wheel, I noticed that the Astro-van had the same size tires and the same bolt pattern as the trailer.  So, I got the spare from the van and was beginning to think I was MacGyver when it went right on the trailer without a problem. I realized it would never be that easy when I let down the jack and the tire went almost flat.  So, I limped along at about 25 mph for several miles before I found another “gas station”.  I found it interesting that they actually kept the nozzle under the counter for the outside air hose, so I bought a soda, filled the tire and was finally on my way again about two hours later.

I gassed up and ate lunch in the Tri-Cities and continued toward Portland on SR 395 to I-84.  Just east of Boardman, the trailer started making bumping sounds.  I slowed down and pulled off at a truck stop in Boardman to check it out.  I found that the left front trailer tire that I had re-mounted in Arlington the day before had a bulge so big I couldn’t fit my fingers between the fender and the tire. 

There were too many big trucks around, so I limped into a rest stop about a mile West of Boardman and parked under a tree for shade in the heat of the day.  I then preformed a rather precarious (and no doubt dangerous) procedure.  I jacked up the trailer and then jacked up the van on the trailer and swapped tires on both.  I put the bulged tire on the van with the bulge pointing up so when I secured the van to the trailer it would still sit level.  I mounted the van tire on the trailer and was on my way again about 1 ½ hours later.  I was getting pretty good at changing wheels and tires by then. In fact, I made it home in time for dinner that night.

I am telling you this story so you can all laugh & learn from my mistakes. Trailer tires don’t seem to wear out; they just die of old age at the most inconvenient times and places.  It was well past the time for my trailer to get “re-tired”.  My tires had like-new tread and appeared to be fine except for some slight cracking on the sidewalls. It was a secondhand trailer, so they could have been twenty-year-old originals. I got my trailer “retired” immediately after the three-day weekend with six-ply trailer tires (and fixed the van too).

“Re-tired Trailer Tips”

1.   Always make sure your spare rim fits your trailer wheels. You probably won’t be

hauling a vehicle with interchangeable wheels and tires when you need one. 

2.   It is important to have trailer tires on your trailer if you carry heavy loads.  Passenger

tires just aren’t made to do this. Passenger tires will bulge and modify your fenders!

3.  Always check tire pressure on all your tires including the spares on the trailer and tow

vehicle.  Otherwise, you can carry a bicycle pump if you need the exercise.

4   Carry a lug wrench and jack to fit your trailer. Try mounting your trailer spare

before leaving home to see if everything works.  Don’t wait until you’re in the desert.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2022 at 11:09 AM, Bills Auto Works said:

Seems you’ve been lucky with flats, women, not so much!😁😁

I hauled livestock and most often, loaded at max. Tires at the time were the best I could get and they were 10 ply Michelin steel belt radials, 90psi. I would probably blow at least one tire every 3000 miles average! Other brands were doubly worse. Nothing puts a load on a tire like livestock. The constantly changing weight placement and surging, either side to side or forward and back quickly takes it toll on hot tires. Strangest thing is a blowout almost always seems to happen on the downgrade and not the upgrade even when watching your speed. 

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 2

When I travel with the trailer, I always carry 

1. A battery powered impact wrench.  I currently have a 20 Volt DeWalt that I keep in the truck along with a socket set.

2. Some wood so if a trailer tire goes bad I can "ramp up" the trailer to change the tire quickly.

3. At least one spare tire and in my enclosed trailer I have two spare tires.

In my enclosed single axle utility trailer I keep an inexpensive floor jack that I check periodically to be sure it works..

As a side note, I have changed all of the lug nuts on my trailers from the open end style to the closed end so they will (should) not rust to the studs. 

I also always check the tire pressures in the tires prior to going on a trip and make sure they are set at what the sidewall says they should be.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 11/19/2022 at 11:22 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

Speaking of spares, I use one of those modern tiny spares in my 35 Buick's trunk, I didn;t like the rear mounted spare with my luggage rack.

I told a friend with a 40 Ford Coupe what I has done, because he wanted more trunk space.   Ford wide 5 X 5.5 pattern.   Anybody know of

a modern car with that bolt pattern?????????????????

482669652_Buickjpg.jpg.f5a59d9e0fa46d966475eb7de61de528.jpg

Actually, the 1937 Buick Roadmaster and the Limited (80 and 90 Series) use that 5 x 5.5 pattern, 

but I question if the offset is anywhere close -

and he would have a better chance finding a Ford rim, than an 80/90 series '37 Buick

(No !, I'm not parting with my spare rim(s).)

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

On 11/18/2022 at 3:06 PM, TerryB said:

Some cars no longer come with spare tires.  Make sure your AAA membership is paid up!

Yeah.  It comes with a can of fix a flat. Totally useless for sidewall holes.  Both of my daughters had flats. Sidewall on one.  Gaping hole in the tread of the other.  The can was useless. I promptly purchased them a save a spare and jack.

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

purchased them a save a spare

???  Google not much help, just hints at a space saving spare. Was this a dealer supplied accessory?

49 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

???  Google not much help, just hints at a space saving spare. Was this a dealer supplied accessory?

Check eBay for a spare tire and jack kit for your car.

I know quite a few people that have purchased kits from eBay.

6 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

You should be able to go to a salvage yard and buy the space saver spare tire. 

If this is to me, I tried this several times. All they offered were tires at least as old as what I already have. 15 to 20 year old tires.

My wife and I recently returned from a three week trip to Northern Italy.  Our rental car was a Skoda Karoq which had 57000 kilometres on it.  About three days after we picked it up the cars message centre said the right rear tire was low.  Pulled into a gas station and checked all of the tires.  Right rear was at 20 psi, the others were at 30.  Pumped tire up and went on our way.  About 5 hours later the message reappeared.  Checked tire and it was the same as the others, 30 psi.  That message kept showing up every time I started the car.  Decided I should check the spare - except there wasn't one.  Instead there was a little air compressor and a small bottle of tire sealant in a molded Styrofoam container.  Obviously the pressure sensor in the right rear tire was malfunctioning.

As an aside, all vehicles in Italy are required to have a red breakdown triangle, to the point that the Karoq had a slot for it in the right side trim panel.  It also had a high visibility vest which you must put on if you have a breakdown.

The low tire signal pops up on the dash of f150 every time I start the truck. Drives me batty. The tires are fine. I had a new rim installed and the new low sensor for $100+ and it still pops up. That along with the rear door ajar when the door is closed tightly ( I actually fixed that one last weekend). Gotta love electronics on new cars.

My dad who ran a towing and body shop business for many years would say that once a year he would get a call to tow a truck because of a flat tire because they would get a flat and go to get the spare from underneath the back of the truck and it would not be there. With all the salt we get put on or roads in the winter the brackets holding the spares up would rust away and the spare would fall out and the driver would never know until he went to use it. I laughed on my way home on Monday as I went over some railroad tracks and low and behold there was a tire on the road and I thought someone lost a spare from under their truck going over the tracks.

• Like 1

Coming home from work today on a very busy highway, there was a police vehicle straddling the line between the outboard lane and the shoulder with his lights on. It was a natural resource police officer changing a flat tire for an elderly gentleman along the road. I was impressed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

In today's world we are very busy in our own small world. We sometimes forget to see some important works which we do not consider as important and checking the spare tires is one of them. But we never neglect this and should never termed is as unimportant. 

For more details regarding this visit Defibrator