Non-use of protective gear on TV car shows.

George Smolinski

Just watched part of an episode of Fantom Works. Guy sanding on a 1973 Corvette with no mask/respirator. I see this bonehead move all the time on various shows - doing bodywork and breathing in all that wonderful dust. Probably smoke too to encourage the lung cancer to develop more quickly. Another one is spraying in street/work clothes with no spray suit. The Fantom Works I watched was installing a hemi in a Challenger. guy is standing & slightly leaning backwards over a fender so he's between a 1000 pound engine and the fender. A hoist malfunction or weak link in the chain & he'd be taking a dirt nap or mangled for life.

It seems almost every show has someone pulling a bonehead move or screwing around because he's a suck up to the owner/star of the shop. (Kindig's foreman is a good example)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I stopped watching those shows a while back. Too much manufactured drama and not enough actual techniques to learn from. But yes, I remember many cases where I cringed over the poor safety practices. . Apparently they have never heard of safety glasses! I lost count of how many times I saw someone sanding, grinding, or cutting without them. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

If you want to see it done right watch Cold War Motors. Scott is very good about using ear protection, eye protection and respirator as necessary. He puts on a front of doing crude cheap work but don't let him kid you, he knows what he is doing. Now if I could only get him to use jack stands.

Cold War Motors is phenomenal. Certainly worth a watch over any of the modern network shows.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Workshop regulations in regard to paint and shop safety are one thing, then there is the total disregard for the emission controls on some of these cars. Totally illegal and setting a perfect example for impressionable minds. 

The shows I watch have cars that are exempt because of their age.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

The shows I watch have cars that are exempt because of their age.

Depends on where you live, I guess. Here in AZ, they emission test back to 67. Cars in Ca. 1975 and newer must be tested indefinitely, and cars 1966 to 1974 must have all their emission equipment in working order should the state decide they go back into the smog check program.

Note, before the test can even be performed the cars must past the visual for having all their equipment intact.

15 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Depends on where you live, I guess. Here in AZ, they emission test back to 67. Cars in Ca. 1975 and newer must be tested indefinitely, and cars 1966 to 1974 must have all their emission equipment in working order should the state decide they go back into the smog check program.

Note, before the test can even be performed the cars must past the visual for having all their equipment intact.

Here in Ohio they have cancelled all emission testing, except in a few key metropolitan areas. 

• Like 1

Some TIG welders like to use 2% Thoriated tungstens for better arc stability at a higher amperage. Thorium is a radioactive element and should never be ground without eye, nose and mouth protection. I see people welding on those TV shows with almost zero protection and someone should clue them in about welding safety.

• Haha 1

When it comes to working without the proper safety equipment I plead lucky, but I've also been lucky enough to have my safety glasses on when wire wheel spits wire and when the brake clean splashes back

Testing or not, fooling around with federally required emissions equipment is still a federal offence and the number of people who stand in front of a camera to record and broadcast the event never ceases to amaze me.  Not that what they do is done, but that nobody bothers to catch them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The safety police would go bonkers if they walked through my shop and saw me working.
Not trying to be flippant, but I still do things in the shop  pretty much as I did 65-70 years ago before safety glasses, masks, warnings, and etc. were around.

I just try not to do anything really stupid that will hurt me. I must be really lucky because according to my last physical, all those years of breathing paint,gasoline, exhaust fumes and grinding dust haven’t hurt me yet.

Still stick/ mig weld with oxy/acetylene goggles in tight places. Still don’t need glasses.

I guess I’m saying a person’s business is his business.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

Never heard of "Cold War Motors," but I'm always up for something new and I'm going to check it out!  Thanks, Rusty and TwoTone 

I never miss an episode and usually learn something new as well as have a few laughs. Frankers the poodle makes the show.

https://www.youtube.com/@coldwarmotors

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lump said:

Here in Ohio they have cancelled all emission testing, except in a few key metropolitan areas. 

They may have cancelled emission testing like Californias 1966-1975 cars which still can be brought back into testing if the state can't meet it's clean air standards or it's carbon offset requirement. Just remember it's a federal government (EPA) law that states emission controls shall not be tampered with on 1975 and newer cars.

Don't shoot the messenger please, I hate it as much, if not more than you do. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

@Jubilee

"I guess I’m saying a person’s business is his business."

THANK YOU!!!! It is really a shame that society has devolved to a point that one man thinks it is OK to tell another man how to live his life! Those anal retentive safety police would have a big problem with me as well!  

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

On the other side of the coin (no one dislikes rules and regulations as much as me-but) there are many auto Tech's in prison today for meddling with emission control devices.

'Polluting the air we breathe': Mechanic sentenced for selling ...

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

@Jubilee

"I guess I’m saying a person’s business is his business."

THANK YOU!!!! It is really a shame that society has devolved to a point that one man thinks it is OK to tell another man how to live his life! Those anal retentive safety police would have a big problem with me as well!  

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Thanks Bill, I agree.  If any of these guys .(,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,) don't like what they see they can always stop watching.  

• Thanks 1

I am half afraid to type this for fear of superstition, but I have worked construction for 40+ years. Not that I am proud, more likely lucky or just stupid but I would fall into the 'dangerous' category by most. I have seen my share of bad accidents a couple involving both of my brothers with life altering injuries. I do try to be careful and respectful of the tools I use. I rarely use safety glasses only because I never got into the habit of doing so. When using a wire wheel in the shop its a definite. I dont wear gloves a lot, but the one time I ran an angle grinder across my hand ripping it open has reminded me to put on a pair when using that machine. I have always worn steel toe shoes. I try to be vigilant when using solvents, paints etc. using a good respirator. I do try to be clean and careful but I know some people would cringe if they saw some of the things I have done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jubilee said:

I did 65-70 years ago before safety glasses, masks, warnings, and etc. were around.

Safety glasses and masks are way older than that!

With working in a machine shop for 30yrs it is such a habit for me to always where my safety glasses at work and at home, I always have 3 or 4 pair of old glasses I brought home from work laying around to wear. I also wear hearing protection at home as it is something I always use at work now. When I was younger I would never wear hearing protection at work until after about 7 yrs of running a CNC Boring Mill I started having issues with my right ear as that was the ear towards the gearbox and rotary table, the constant low hum from that gear box got to me. Now with day to day stuff my ear is fine but with loud and sharpe noises it will ring like mad and drive me crazy for a few days, if I wear ear plug I am fine.

Those guys usually move in slow motion with a Bass strumming sound in the background. They have plenty of time to move away, especially when they are always throwing the old parts down on the floor.

The Fantom Works guy is funny. He is always so surprised at typical automotive things and responds with his G rated swearing. Well, not funny, kinda sad really

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The Fantom Works guy is funny. He is always so surprised at typical automotive things and responds with his G rated swearing.

I liked the episode where he bought a 1st generation Camaro sight unseen on E Bay to use as the basis for a birthday present for his wife.  Of course, when it arrived it looked like it had been stored in a shipping container at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay.  No problem - get out the catalogue and start ordering sheet metal...  :wacko:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Safety glasses and masks are way older than that!

As a young guy back in the 70's I never wore safety glasses and ended up in the ER a couple of times with glass in my eyes (slow learner). Now I have some safety glasses that have the bi-focal close up lens at the top as well as the bottom. As a result I can see things with them I can't see with out them. They are my favorite tool! 

The worst damage I have done to my eyes was from mahogany dust. For those that dont know that stuff is absolutely horrible! I got some in my eyes, which started to itch. I ended up rubbing my eyes so much that I tore both of them. I ended up at the hospital with severe pain and blindness. It took a couple of days before I could see straight again.

Of course they only lived to an average age of 50, so....;)

• Like 1

I always use safety glasses and hearing protection.  Habit picked up working in the manufacturing plant. 

I use hearing protection and safety glasses when I cut the grass, use the weed eater, chain saw, leaf blower, table saws, anything loud and noisy. 

My wife has pictures of me cutting the grass almost 50 years ago with ear muffs on.  Back then people would stop and ask if I was listening to the radio or something else.

I keep a pair or two in multiple places in the house, shop, and even a pair in my truck.  I even have a pair of noise cancelling ear muffs that I take any time I am flying anywhere on a jet.

I just upgraded to 32 db hearing ear muffs last summer. They are great compared to the older pairs that I have.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 10:10 PM, Frank DuVal said:

Of course they only lived to an average age of 50, so....;)

Half of them lived long enough to collect a pension at 65 then died within a year and a half. I saw this many times when I was a kid.  These days if you survive to 65 chances are you will live on into your eighties or nineties.

Not as many old guys smoke cigarettes, drink whiskey and eat pork chops.

• Like 1

You also see it on the home renovation shows when they’re chasing destruction for the cameras, destroying perfectly usable stuff or smashing through walls without a care in the world what could be in it

Whenever I do home stuff I always carefully dismantle stuff because it’s 1) safer 2) generally faster than cleaning up rubbish

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 7:01 AM, George Smolinski said:

Just watched part of an episode of Fantom Works. Guy sanding on a 1973 Corvette with no mask/respirator. I see this bonehead move all the time on various shows - doing bodywork and breathing in all that wonderful dust. Probably smoke too to encourage the lung cancer to develop more quickly. Another one is spraying in street/work clothes with no spray suit. The Fantom Works I watched was installing a hemi in a Challenger. guy is standing & slightly leaning backwards over a fender so he's between a 1000 pound engine and the fender. A hoist malfunction or weak link in the chain & he'd be taking a dirt nap or mangled for life.

It seems almost every show has someone pulling a bonehead move or screwing around because he's a suck up to the owner/star of the shop. (Kindig's foreman is a good example)

I was thinking the same thing I have been laid up recuperating from some surgery watching these shows on occasion during the day, most of them seem like an employer's nightmare with accidents just waiting to happen. I seldom see first aid kits any where in the back round or eyewash stations.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I'm paying dearly for not wearing a proper mask when working, grinding, and spraying as a young man. Was a smoker back then also. My day job involved a lot of acrylic grinding and then going out to my garage and sanding cars when I got home.

My lungs are not in good shape at 67. Wish I could go back and  use the right PPE.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Only about 20 case of Trichinosis in the US per year. No longer a big deal. But I'm still not eating pork raw on purpose...;)

• Like 1

I'm actually very familiar with swine and pork issues seeing since my family and then later I, owned a Federally Inspected Slaughterhouse. I can tell you there's more than just trichinosis that hogs can get but beef can also get things. Animals are no different than people when it comes to diseases. No animal meat will really kill you if cooked. The disease they might be carrying that you might get will though. Chicken can be even worse. I saw plenty of things in young animals that were really too young to be carrying anything but they were. It wasn't common but it does happen. We had to have three separate cutting areas, each with it's own cutting tables and band saws to prevent cross contamination. Beef and pork carcasses had to be separated and couldn't touch while hanging in the coolers either. The main reason is people will eat beef rare and the low cooking temperature doesn't kill the disease. Avian tuberculosis that hogs get from the birds. Birds would take a dump in the hog feeder and then the hogs would ingest it causing the hogs to get the disease. The disease was easily found during the slaughtering process when the glands in the hogs throat were sliced multiple times and what appeared as small white grains of sand were seen, then the carcass was condemned or deemed only fit for high temperature cooking! (that rule kind of bothered me as no small slaughterhouse was setup to do that but I'm sure the large ones are. 

15 hours ago, chistech said:

I'm actually very familiar with swine and pork issues seeing since my family and then later I, owned a Federally Inspected Slaughterhouse. I can tell you there's more than just trichinosis that hogs can get but beef can also get things. Animals are no different than people when it comes to diseases. No animal meat will really kill you if cooked. The disease they might be carrying that you might get will though. Chicken can be even worse. I saw plenty of things in young animals that were really too young to be carrying anything but they were. It wasn't common but it does happen. We had to have three separate cutting areas, each with it's own cutting tables and band saws to prevent cross contamination. Beef and pork carcasses had to be separated and couldn't touch while hanging in the coolers either. The main reason is people will eat beef rare and the low cooking temperature doesn't kill the disease. Avian tuberculosis that hogs get from the birds. Birds would take a dump in the hog feeder and then the hogs would ingest it causing the hogs to get the disease. The disease was easily found during the slaughtering process when the glands in the hogs throat were sliced multiple times and what appeared as small white grains of sand were seen, then the carcass was condemned or deemed only fit for high temperature cooking! (that rule kind of bothered me as no small slaughterhouse was setup to do that but I'm sure the large ones are. 

If you want to read something kinda scary and definitely sickening, read “Fast Food Nation” published in 2001. It will make you stop and think next time you eat fast food or buy meat at the chain grocery stores.

• Like 1