Looking at a Studebaker Lark, I have ???s

ia-k

Went and looked at a early 60s(?) Studebaker Lark 4 door yesterday. I will admit I am much more familiar with other brands from the 1950s/60s than Studebakers. Looks to be complete other than head is off the engine. 6 cylinder/automatic. Some spare body parts but didn't see any front fenders. Interior is rough.  Body seems solid except just ahead of the doors on the front fenders is rust running up and down, passenger's side is much worse than drivers. Last inspection sticker on the windshield is from mid-1970s. 

My big question is the rust on/under the front fenders fenders, looks like it lines up with the cowl area. Reasonable repair or run away from this project?

image.jpeg

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

Edited by ia-k (see edit history)

Rough condition parts car. If you want a project for the hell of it, don't pay any more than scrap value or not much more. If you see yourself driving around in a real nice car don't bother with that one, buy a car that is already good, it will save you time and money.

I can see myself buying it if the price is right but then I am nutz. I would enjoy cleaning it up, getting it running, and selling to someone else unfinished.

• Like 3

Run away!  There are 6-cylinder Lark sedans in much better condition still for reasonable prices readily available.  Frankly, the V8 Lark is a much more satisfying car to own and drive, the six/automatic the least desirable.  If Studebakers pique your interest, join the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum on-line, get to know the cars and resources better before you pursue one.  Good luck in your search.

• Like 6

Four door 6 cylinder Larks don't command much value when they look good and are ready to drive. And if you have one (or any old car for Sunday drives), you'll have plenty of work to do on it anyway, just to keep it in shape and ready to go. 

Studebaker made some wonderful cars. Do a little research before settling on whatever Studebaker you might like to have. Then buy the BEST condition car you can afford...especially if you are not a seasoned restorer with several succesful (completed) restorations under your belt. 

And become a regular on this forum. We all love to correspond with folks who like old cars... ANY old cars. You'll be very welcome. 🙂

• Like 2

Basically I was asked if I wanted to come along and look at some old cars that might be for sale. Not necessarily looking for a Studebaker per se, but I do like uniquely styled cars (I also have a 1965 Marlin) and this one caught my eye. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

join the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum on-line, get to know the cars and resources better before you pursue one.

Yes!👍

• Like 1

A good running, not rusty Lark VI isn't an expensive car to buy. Check around for prices on a decent one and if you like,and buy one then go back and get this for a parts car. Echoing what others have stated, go for the V8. Much more responsive to drive. I've had 2 of the 6 cyl ones and they are too slow for my tastes.

• Like 2

Even if this car held a great deal of sentimental value for whomever was considering its resurrection, it would be extremely hard to justify the effort to bring it back.  These are just not that hard to find in reasonable, drivable shape, and asking prices are not all that outlandish, unless an owner is trying to rip someone off.

In the words of Nancy Reagan, just say no.

• Like 1

I would buy that car if it was $600 or less, bought quite a few similar ones over the years. Bring it home for a $100-150 hauling charge and start washing.

Get it up on some cheap tires, shine every bit of chrome that will still shine. Let a lot of PB Blaster soak in. And finish it off by massaging it a light coat of 20 weigh oil for shine. Sell it cheap. A day of monkeying around will get you $500 to $800 you didn't have before. Spend it on your good car.

I used to have a friend who was very judgemental about the bottom feeder deals I would get into. We'd go out for coffee a couple of times a week and I always paid. He never had pocket money.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John348 said:

Just curious, how much are they looking for it? 

No price discussed yet, the car is owned by a relative of the property owner. 

After reading the comments I will probably pass on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ia-k said:

No price discussed yet, the car is owned by a relative of the property owner. 

After reading the comments I will probably pass on it. 

Unless that particular car had special meaning to you,

that is probably the right move-

A very time consuming, and labor/cash intensive repair/restoration for modest return (likely to be upside down very quickly.

• Like 1

If you were to get it for FREE and use it for a potential parts car that would make sense. Broken windshield, tattered interior, visible rot and rust, on a non-running, and not a high dollar car when done could be a rather frustrating experience. 

• Like 1

I've been a Studebaker guy for sixty years, however it took me decades before I learned to appreciate the Lark and it's styling. That was in spite of the fact that I often used several during the 60's and 70's as a beaters. I now have four in my collection.

You have tapped into a make and model that is finally being recognize for  it's utility, rarity and even it's styling. Although I can appreciate this car because of it's originality, it's condition is a stretch too far. 

Join the Studebaker Driver's Club or just check into the forum. Networking is the best way to find the right car. Ask questions and be patient and we will help you find a suitable car.

• Like 3

As I stated before I am not looking for a Studebaker in particular, I just like unique cars that you don't see at car shows. This mid-70s Mercury Capri II was sitting there also, considered it but unsure of parts availability and some rust coming through on the rear  fenders and deck so didn't make an offer.image.jpeg.af79def95cb32d17cfd11b991b7db879.jpegimage.jpeg.08da5d430581a3febcc096346dcfd82c.jpeg

Black car is a ?  Chrysler product?

On 6/19/2022 at 3:54 PM, ia-k said:

Went and looked at a early 60s(?) Studebaker Lark 4 door yesterday. I will admit I am much more familiar with other brands from the 1950s/60s than Studebakers. Looks to be complete other than head is off the engine. 6 cylinder/automatic. Some spare body parts but didn't see any front fenders. Interior is rough.  Body seems solid except just ahead of the doors on the front fenders is rust running up and down, passenger's side is much worse than drivers. Last inspection sticker on the windshield is from mid-1970s. 

My big question is the rust on/under the front fenders fenders, looks like it lines up with the cowl area. Reasonable repair or run away from this project?

image.jpeg

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

My friend has two larks for sale, one is a Daytona wagon and the other is a two door and both are California cars. 

• Like 1

The Studebaker "Racing Stripe" is a problem with all 53-66 Studes.  Studebaker saved a few bucks by simply folding the sheetmetal over on itself for a mounting flange inside the rear of the front fenders. Bingo. Perfect mud, salt, and moisture catcher.

But I will guarantee you that parts availability is 10 time greater for Studes than that Capri!

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 9:00 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

Join the Studebaker Driver's Club or just check into the forum. Networking is the best way to find the right car. Ask questions and be patient and we will help you find a suitable car.

More valid advice has never been spoken!   Applies to any and all makes of car one might pursue. 

• Like 1