Age and first automobile driving experience

32buick67

This past weekend I asked my 14 year old son to pilot our 1932 Buick, and he said he might be interested (teens...), and then he said he had a blast driving our 4200lb car in the local parking lot, and he also had a chance to practice his K-turns for a future official license test.

He did very well, and he seems to have a natural feel for managing the three pedals, the 17:1 steering, and simultaneously keeping a physical eye out for the surroundings.

I told him that his priorities when driving should be to listen to the engine smoothness, and feel the clutch pedal feedback, and feel the car inertial motion trying to start to move, and just relax and be himself and to have FUN.

I also asked him to close his eyes for part of his training so he could concentrate on the other feel-based senses for what he was 'seeing' vs what he would be physically seeing.

I hope everyone I teach on antique autos wants to be a 'feel-based' driver who uses sounds, vibrations, and smell to drive, and not use numbers like a tach to drive like modern performance autos.

I could be wrong about this approach, but after putting up almost 1 million miles on cars, semi's and other vehicles in many countries at many speeds throughout roadways across the world, I hope I am doing the right thing to encourage our local young folks on how to approach vehicle operation.

To me, its all about fun, and experiencing mobility in a safe and controlled manner for those who are a state licensed privileged vehicle operator.  

These pre-war cars are far beyond amazing, some are bulletproof, and most Buicks are so overbuilt like 3/4 ton pickup trucks that they have the ability to absorb the learning curve of inexperienced teen drivers/operators.

If I have to spend $300 on a new clutch lining and a few weeks of elbow grease due to the neighborhood kids wearing out my clutch, that is ok with me because I get to see the kids enjoy something amazing and historic.

I don't mind if the kids honk the horn for fun in my car, or dribble ice cream on the seat (which can be cleaned later)...my goal is to be part of the American heritage and fabric for all to enjoy...

• Like 3

First time driving was at age 5 on a John Deere 110 Lawn mower. First time in the seat of a bulldozer was about that same time when My Dad borrowed a D-2 Caterpillar from a neighbor and put me in his lap and let me pull the steering clutch levers back. A close friend ended up with that same D-2 in later years and I completely restored it for him. Growing up on a farm, Tractors at age 8. Had a 1931 Model AAA ford truck that I was driving around at age 12. First time on the road I was about 14 and drove the 1972 International pick up that we had on the farm. Then a 1957 Dodge Sweptside pickup around 15 or 16. Started running power shovels around 20 years old and Bulldozers as a profession at age 19.    

When my son was 10 (he’s now 18) his 1st driving experience was in a golf cart. Ran it into a brick wall!  Minor damage to the fender. He’s done much better with real cars, but has not yet driven my collector car. He would definitely be confused by manual transmission and 3 on the tree 

A smart friend had a novel idea for teaching his daughter to drive.   Because the family cars were all automatic he strarted our with a 1940 

Ford pickup that he and I had restored.   Reason was: 3 spped manual transmission, no power steering or brakes, no A/C.

He Parked the 40 in the front yard and tought her the shift pattern and clutch and the had her do an imaginarty drive right there in the yard without moving.   Once the shifting and clutching was learned, the engine was started and the imaginary trip was done again.   With the basics firmly understood and practiced they ventured out onto the road where steering was the lesson.   Then progressivly made around the block trips before

going to a vacant parking lot for more lessons & experience.   The daughter became a safe competent driver before learning again in a automatic, with PS, PB & A/C. 

I was 9 years old (was gonna be 10 in January) and it was Thanksgiving in Woods County, Oklahoma.  My one cousin and I learned to drive in his Grandad's farm pickup.  Uncle Dan had this '36 or '37 Plymouth pickup that he used on the farm to haul hay to his horses and cattle.  There was about a 5-acre meadow right behind the barn and Phil almost ran the truck into the back of the barn.  His Dad and Grandpa and my Dad gave us Hell for doing what we were doing.  Needless to say, we didn't get to do any driving until the next Thanksgiving.  It sure was fun though.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

On 2/20/2022 at 8:17 AM, CarlLaFong said:

15 years old, no permit yet. The car was a 57 Porsche 356 Speedster.

That's incredible, Carl...did you know the person who owned it? 😄 Just kidding! Seriously, that was a great first driving experience. I first drove at age 12 in a '69 Impala (my Dad's car, and yes, I had his permission.)

car-thief-1957.jpg

• Haha 1

I don't know if this counts, but my first driving experience was at age seven, sitting on the lap of my cousin, Carl Dispenziere, as we tooled down the street in his '49 Merc. I steered. He did the rest.  

On 3/24/2022 at 8:35 AM, Dandy Dave said:

First time driving was at age 5 on a John Deere 110 Lawn mower. First time in the seat of a bulldozer was about that same time when My Dad borrowed a D-2 Caterpillar from a neighbor and put me in his lap and let me pull the steering clutch levers back. A close friend ended up with that same D-2 in later years and I completely restored it for him. Growing up on a farm, Tractors at age 8. Had a 1931 Model AAA ford truck that I was driving around at age 12. First time on the road I was about 14 and drove the 1972 International pick up that we had on the farm. Then a 1957 Dodge Sweptside pickup around 15 or 16. Started running power shovels around 20 years old and Bulldozers as a profession at age 19.    

Dave......didn't realize they had the internal combustion engine when you were born.......I was figuring you for a guy who was around to see the first application of the wheel. 😂

• Haha 2

I learned to drive a tractor at age 7. It was a Farmall Cub that we mowed the property with.  

At 9 I was driving a full sized tractor pulling hay wagons from the fields. Then I got big enough to work on the hay wagon.

Drove the Jeep we had at age 13. It had a 3 on the tree.  

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My first time driving I was about 6 or 7 - it was about 1988. My Grandpa had an early '60s GMC 2 ton with a flatbed. He asked if I could keep it straight in the field, then put it in low gear, slid out onto the running board, and jumped onto the bed of the truck to spread hay. I was having a ball steering (couldn't reach the pedals), when he suddenly swung back in, slid me over, and wrenched it to the right. There was a ditch I couldn't see.

By 9 or 10, I was driving the wheel tractor and riding dirt bikes, and by 11 or so driving around the ranch in his 1985 Chevy 1 ton 4x4. When I was about 12, my mom would let me do parking lot laps in our 1984 Pontiac Bonneville. Got my license at 15, and that summer hauled grain for harvest in a Mack 10 wheeler with an Eaton 13 speed. Two years later, the wheat truck was a 1965 White-Freightliner cabover 10 wheeler, with a 5 speed main transmission and a 4 speed brownie. Air assist power steering made that truck a chore to drive, especially loaded! Every once in a while the brownie would get stuck in 3rd, which made pulling out onto the highway loaded a lot of fun. Loved working for farmers, but the ones I worked for taught me a lot about how NOT to maintain a vehicle!

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2022 at 10:23 PM, 32buick67 said:

This past weekend I asked my 14 year old son to pilot our 1932 Buick, and he said he might be interested (teens...), and then he said he had a blast driving our 4200lb car in the local parking lot, and he also had a chance to practice his K-turns for a future official license test.

He did very well, and he seems to have a natural feel for managing the three pedals, the 17:1 steering, and simultaneously keeping a physical eye out for the surroundings.

I told him that his priorities when driving should be to listen to the engine smoothness, and feel the clutch pedal feedback, and feel the car inertial motion trying to start to move, and just relax and be himself and to have FUN.

I also asked him to close his eyes for part of his training so he could concentrate on the other feel-based senses for what he was 'seeing' vs what he would be physically seeing.

I hope everyone I teach on antique autos wants to be a 'feel-based' driver who uses sounds, vibrations, and smell to drive, and not use numbers like a tach to drive like modern performance autos.

I could be wrong about this approach, but after putting up almost 1 million miles on cars, semi's and other vehicles in many countries at many speeds throughout roadways across the world, I hope I am doing the right thing to encourage our local young folks on how to approach vehicle operation.

To me, its all about fun, and experiencing mobility in a safe and controlled manner for those who are a state licensed privileged vehicle operator.  

These pre-war cars are far beyond amazing, some are bulletproof, and most Buicks are so overbuilt like 3/4 ton pickup trucks that they have the ability to absorb the learning curve of inexperienced teen drivers/operators.

If I have to spend $300 on a new clutch lining and a few weeks of elbow grease due to the neighborhood kids wearing out my clutch, that is ok with me because I get to see the kids enjoy something amazing and historic.

I don't mind if the kids honk the horn for fun in my car, or dribble ice cream on the seat (which can be cleaned later)...my goal is to be part of the American heritage and fabric for all to enjoy...

Well I was close on my estimate, the clutch relining cost $247.50 including shipping this past winter. 

Fort Wayne Clutch did a great job with a fast turnaround, and the car has been running well since the change.

Old vs new...

My back might be sore from installing the new clutch, but watching our next generation driving and appreciating a prewar car has been well worth it for me.

20221221_195418.jpg

20221104_143524.jpg

• Like 1

My father was an Oldsmobile salesman in the 60s early 70s everyone in my family drove them When I was 13 years old my mother had a 68 442 convertible one day nobody was home so I drove the car around the block when I came home my father was standing in the driveway! Top was down literally yanked me out by my shirt  …….. I got the belt.  Never did that again. John

• Like 1

At age 11 my dad let me drive our '59 Ford Wagon on the beach at Pismo. At age 38 I got my car stuck in the sand on the same beach and had to get someone to pull me out as the tide came in. 

• Like 1

Probably around ten, a 1963 Jeep step side pick up, three speed.

By 15, I had driven and worked on,

1922 Chandler Royal Dispatch (sold new by grandfather in 22 as the distributor in Wauchula Fl - which I own now)

1928 Model A phaeton (from a grandfather on the other side of my family)

1926 Franklin boat-tailed speedster (rumble seat with 2 rear spares)

1914? and 16? Model T (one all unrestored called the swamp buggy - set up with early teens camping gear - at shows my grandfather would stick out a cane fishing pole and cloth spin old long johns to it)

1914 Metz 2 passenger (boy that friction drive...)

1908ish Franklin barrel hood (old home made 2-seater with a small flatbed)

Never did get to drive the,

1905 Queen (lots of rides though)

1903 Ford Model A (my grandfather always said it was the 9th one built)

The one car my grandfather owned that I was to young to see before he sold it, was "the" Adams Farwell.

Edited by PWN (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

My 15yo son was out driving this past March in our record snowy winter - not his first drive this past year by any stretch, but definitely his first drive in a 91yo car, in the winter, with bias ply tires, in the snow, which should count as a unique experience for some...

image.jpeg.fa7472d0085020efd07a0bcc48c6e576.jpeg

As of last week, the snow pile at MSP melted down to 2ft deep, so hopefully its all gone by the time the first frost arrives in a month or so...

• Like 1

My 12th Birthday when my father came home from work.  I drove his 1954 Metroploitan Conv., we named "Tomato Soup".

Later that fall I got his 1950 Austin Saloon stuck in the back yard for the winter.   

Edited by Paul Dobbin
1960 changed to 1950 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

My 12th Birthsday when my faterr came home from work.  I drove his 1954 Metroploitan Conv., we named "Tomato Soup".

Later that fall I got his 1960 Austin Saloon stuck in the back yard for the winter.   

Paul,  what year was that?  Was the Met his every day driver?   I want through a "Metropolitan" Phase for about 2 weeks back in the late 80s.  Fortunately the urge passed and I bought a GT500 Shelby instead.

• Haha 2

I was about 10 years old, and my dad brought me with in the 68 Plymouth Fury III 4 door hardtop on a trip to a sod farm. We drove out onto the field where they had not yet cut the sod, and near some piles of fresh cut rolls. Dad started looking at rolls, and kept walking until we were about 200 feet from the car, when he found some he liked. He looked at me and said "go get the car". I was stunned and bewildered, did he really mean it?. I had never driven before, but of course as a car-nut passenger I had studied every move of various drivers. Starting the car was no problem, nor was puting it in drive. But I had no idea how sensitive the pedals were, and I spun the tires pretty hard. Dad was yelling "slow down!", and I let off the gas and coasted down to walking speed. As I approached, dad opened the drivers door and walked alongside to coach. When he told me to ease  onto the brake pedal, again I over did it, and stopped so abruptly, dad banged against the open door.  It was a huge thrill for me at that age to drive!

Edited by Hemi Joel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I was 12, and my great grandfather surprised me when he offered me the wheel of his ‘68 Cougar. He eventually gave me that car, and despite many youthful attempts at destroying it, it is still in my garage 50 years later.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 7:43 AM, nat said:

My youngest son turned 18 in February.  The only car he's ever driven is my 24' Dodge touring car.  He wants to use it for his driving test.

Let us know how that went and what the test inspector thought!

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Jack Bennett said:

Hi Larry. While I would hesitate letting you drive my 1947 8N tractor around the cemetery with her brush hog running, you are welcome to stop by my house and take her for a spin anytime the brush hog is disconnected. If you have never driven a 1928 Willys Knight, this is your chance because mine is for people to touch and experience rather than to look at and admire. My old Dodge is a fun car to drive, and anyone crazy enough try is welcome to take her for a spin. Ever rode an old, WWII vintage Cushman motor scooter? If you said “no”, don’t blame me because my Cushman 53A is available for anyone with the testicular fortitude to try riding it. And, I assure you, in the slight possibility you survive the ride, you will remember it forever.

All that was said to encapsulate all the reasons for working with this old stuff  into one word…….and that is fun. Go to a museum or car show to see chrome and fancy paint. Visit me to experience what looking through a 100 year old windshield is like or pushing a 94 year old gas pedal to hear a sleeve valve engine run.
Jack

Jack,

It sounds like you have a bunch of "new" cars.  I had an 8N with a mower that I sold a number of  years ago.  I liked that tractor because I could just go out and mow grass and zone into another world. I did have to tap the carb every once in a while when the tractor would stop.  I upgraded to a New Holland tractor with a front end loader and a mower to do maintenance in our storage lot.  I have probably moved 600-800 tons of crushed concrete and crushed stone to maintain the lot.

As for older tractors, I also own a couple of "real" International Harvester" Cub Cadet tractors of the 1970's vintage.

As for the Cushman scooter, they were used extensively in the GM plants that I worked.  

If you come up our way, and I would encourage you to come to the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village the weekend after Labor Day and I will see about you driving our 1913 Buick.  Next summer the '12 Model T should be done with a complete refresh.

Give me a call and we can make a date.

Come up our way and I might let you 

First time driving for me was about 17 in the family 1960 Plymouth Fury III station wagon. I would love to have one of those now!

At the same time my Dad started to tech me how to drive a "stick" - my 1931 Plymouth PA sedan. Did that well and liked it more then an automatic trans car. Took drivers Ed - Boring. the Drivers Ed teacher commented to me when he pulled me aside " you have been doing this for some time huh!?"  He was impressed  of my ability to judge distance /space. . I told him that I liked cars with running boards and had one and so did my older friends so that kind of let him see where I was coming form.

My biggest challenge was when a friend and I went out 70+ miles east of where we live to see the L.I. Auto Museum in Southampton, NY . We took his 1940 Cadillac series 75 formal sedan. A mostly all original car. After our visit he said he was tired so would let me or the other friend that was along drive the Cadillac home.l - the other guy was used to driving his model T ford touring and said to me " you drive". So I did.

Was my second time only to drive column shift but no "crunching" between gears, Couldn't see squat out the rear with the blind quarters - like driving a panel truck. the series 75 Cadillac is not a small car, took a little while to get used to changing lanes. . I did well , on highways and two lane state roads. It just reassured me that old cars were so much more fun to drive ( sight, sound, feel) then new modern ones . I still feel the same way.

I was 15 driving a 1973 Chevy Nova in high school drivers ed class.  We had a driving track next to the school and the instructors (couple coaches and a social studies teacher) would take us out on the public streets.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:49 AM, Walt G said:

First time driving for me was about 17 in the family 1960 Plymouth Fury III station wagon. I would love to have one of those now!

It would have been a straight 'Fury', not a 'I', 'II', or a 'III' in 1960.  That didn't start until 1965 when the new 'C' body came out, and the 'Fury II' name replaced the Belvedere, as the Mopar 'B' body continued as Plymouth's intermediate passenger car line with that title.

Craig

• Like 1

Interesting as the rear fenders on assorted station wagons then had decorative spears about 7 inches long.   Ours had three and there I believe was also one that had a single spear, plus another that had a round emblem that was the top deluxe version. Can you explain that ? - not a compliant but I do remember the salesman saying it was a Fury III.

51 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Interesting as the rear fenders on assorted station wagons then had decorative spears about 7 inches long.   Ours had three and there I believe was also one that had a single spear, plus another that had a round emblem that was the top deluxe version. Can you explain that ? - not a compliant but I do remember the salesman saying it was a Fury III.

The Belvedere had those three spears on the side.  Furys had the round medallion at the top.  Yes, the Savoy had a single arrow at the top.  A 2-door wagon was also available in the Savoy series, which I believe was Plymouth's last year for a full-size two-door station wagon.

Craig

• Thanks 1

My first driving experience was getting behind the wheel of my dad's '56 Ford Fairlane 500 when I was fourteen.  He only allowed me to go up and down our driveway.  At seventeen, I bought my first car in 1966 which was a '56 Mercury standard shift that I drove to high school in.  While in college I drove a '63 Falcon Futura convertible that I shared with my girlfriend (later my first wife).

On 7/21/2023 at 7:57 PM, alsancle said:

Paul,  what year was that?  Was the Met his every day driver?   I want through a "Metropolitan" Phase for about 2 weeks back in the late 80s.  Fortunately the urge passed and I bought a GT500 Shelby instead.

• Thanks 1