One reason why I drive an old car...

f.f.jones

27 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

Taking photos isn't anything new in our family. My grandmother was documenting farm life with a Kodak box camera as early as 1907. She developed them herself in her own darkroom too. Good thing she didn't have to lug the phone out there ! (That's her on the left in the third photo).

Thank goodness for people like her who were astute enough to document history with photographs.

Edmonton had its photographers, Ernest Brown was one who took tons of photos until just after the first world war, as did Vancouver.  Stuart Thomson was a well-known photographer in that area: f7ae2293-dd06-4c87-a7ca-c89853369d33-A17

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, JACK M said:

After noting this thread yesterday I spent about an hour digging thru my Samsung Smarty trying to figure out just which "G" I have.

No answer.

My flip phone shows it right next to how many bars I am at. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

Taking photos isn't anything new in our family. My grandmother was documenting farm life with a Kodak box camera as early as 1907. She developed them herself in her own darkroom too.

13 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Thank goodness for people like her who were astute enough to document history with photographs.

Yeah and to think if people like her would’ve been crying foul about any and every latest modern feature and gizmos the world was bringing forth at accelerating pace even back then.

Of course they didn’t have their favorite internet forums to do that on, but just think what general store clerks or mail carriers had to put up with such chicken littles back then.

One can easily see those luddites and old-time “geezers” back then cursing out the modern motorized contraptions taking over the world, while in their minds, animal drawn carriages/cart/coaches or even old fashioned walking would’ve sufficed.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TTR said:

One can easily see those luddites and old-time “geezers” back then cursing out the modern motorized contraptions taking over the world, while in their minds, animal drawn carriages/cart/coaches or even old fashioned walking would’ve sufficed.

My grandfather was coming in from milking when a well dressed gent in a fine horse and carriage came up the driveway. He offered grandpa shares at $10 each for a new company just getting started called the Ford Motor Co. Grandpa sent him on his way ,saying he saw no future in horseless carriages. He realized a few years after that he could have retired a wealthier man !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TTR said:

Yeah and to think if people like her would’ve been crying foul about any and every latest modern feature and gizmos the world was bringing forth at accelerating pace even back then.

Yep, back in the day there would have been old timers complaining that these new fangled starter motors are only for snowflakes who don't know how to hand crank properly. Others would have regarded hydraulic brakes as a scam to force owners to buy brake fluid when they previously did "just fine" with "good old solid steel" brake rods.

20 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

My grandfather was coming in from milking when a well dressed gent in a fine horse and carriage came up the driveway. He offered grandpa shares at $10 each for a new company just getting started called the Ford Motor Co. Grandpa sent him on his way ,saying he saw no future in horseless carriages. He realized a few years after that he could have retired a wealthier man !

Look at the bright side though J.H., at least he had a choice and continued his life the way he saw fit as a free man. Most of us have passed on opportunities we may have regretted later in life but that's not really the point of this thread.  

38 minutes ago, TTR said:

I admire those of you who think this...  you've created an argument for latest modern features and how they should be accepted by all of us no matter what cost, even if it means giving up one's rights. Sure, back then technologies were advancing rapidly, but the point is, folks had a choice then. Our choices today aren't even comparable. Most people are tired of being mandated what is or is not good for us in all areas of life.  

Don't get me wrong, I love the digital technologies and some of the other benefits that come from these types of advancements (we all use them daily), after all, where would we be without them? 

Make no mistake, there's a big difference between disagreeing with advancing technology's and being forced into a plan. Why is it such a problem for companies to allow flip phones without the latest gadgets or technology? That should be a red flag for anyone one who can fog a mirror.

• Like 3

I still use a rotary dial Western Electric 500 at work...  😲 

Yes, I have to use a touch tone phone to make calls to get through automated phone answerers most of the time. Some do have a wait a get a human, most do not.

Copper rules! In times of emergency.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

We stilll have a choice.. A phone IS NOT NECESSARY.  

Ben

True, one has a choice not to own/use a cell phone. No one is forcing anyone to buy one.

Just like no one is forcing anyone to buy a "smart phone". There are a number of cell phone carriers and cell phone makers that build and sell FLIP phones. Many under $100 and some under $50 which is WAY LESS expensive than smart phones costing 10+ Times as much. One again a choice.

One reason why I no longer drive an old car daily is thanks to someone who gave me an early Christmas present (not) last December. I was driving my 20 year old daily driver to work one morning. In a school zone I stopped to let three young, middle school children cross the street in a MARKED crosswalk. Next thing I know I get hit from behind by another vehicle. Thank goodness that idiot did not push me into the children. His airbag went off but I doubt it knocked any sense into him. I have no doubt that his Father-in-Law did knock some sense into him since his Son-ion-Law (the other driver) just totaled the vehicle he had borrowed from him. My vehicle was totaled as well. Thank Goodness no one was hurt. 

After this incident I decided to buy a brand new vehicle with a lot of safety features that come standard that my old car didn't have.  I figured these features would give me a MUCH better chance to survive my next encounter with another idiot. FYI, this vehicle came with a bunch of OPTIONAL, non safety features that are free for a period of time. After that period of time it is MY CHOICE if I want to continue paying for them on a monthly basis or not. No one will be forcing me to continue to pay for them and I doubt I will keep subscribing to them since many of them have no value to me. BTW, some of the standard safety features have already done their job when it comes to situations I have already faced in the two weeks since I picked up the vehicle. It also doesn't hurt that the new vehicle gets DOUBLE the fuel mileage of the old vehicle and gets way more than DOUBLE the fuel mileage of my 2012 truck. The new vehicle is also longer, wider, taller and heavier than the old vehicle so there is more of it to absorb an impact from another crash that hopefully will not happen.

Moral of the story is to look around and shop around and make choices that best suit your needs and situation.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 6:55 PM, JFranklin said:

We dumped Onstar after it seemed to always send us up a mountaintop and have us die of starvation or frostbite!

I dumped OnStar because I just never used it in all of the years I paid for it, I have a GPS and with the Traffic Weather Package with XM Radio, it was just a waste of money for me. Technology evolves try to buy a new 8 track tape, or a caseate, or even a CD.

On 2/14/2022 at 2:06 PM, 8E45E said:

A lot of that got lost when OSHA laws came into effect to protect ourselves from ourselves.    (Those who have been around functioning real-world belt-driven machinery know what I'm referring to.)

Craig

Your correct we should still have all of that real world history around us, but in a museum and not have the real life injuries of missing fingers, limbs, and other permanent disabilities associated with that archaic equipment. Just because one knows how to work in a dangerous environment dose not mean they should have to work in one.  It's fine as a hobby, in your own garage, but not in a work environment      

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, John348 said:

Your correct we should still have all of that real world history around us, but in a museum and not have the real life injuries of missing fingers, limbs, and other permanent disabilities associated with that archaic equipment. Just because one knows how to work in a dangerous environment dose not mean they should have to work in one.  It's fine as a hobby, in your own garage, but not in a work environment      

There is a museum near to me with that equipment on display:  https://museumofmaking.org/machines-gallery/

The 'real life' working environment with leather belt driven equipment I was privileged to see in operation was in a long, wooden clapboard, dirt-floor building at the old Brown & Rutherford lumberyard in Winnipeg.  A huge difference from a static museum display to seeing it all in daily use, when the term, 'machinery clattering to prosperity' was literal.

Craig

• Like 1

"Field Day Of The Past" in Goochland County Va has a working steam powered sawmill running for three days in October. Quite a sight to see, making trees into rough cut lumber. No guards on that 4' or so head saw! Public not allowed in the action area, plenty of spectator fence to lean on.

NPR Station Sabotages Mazda Infotainment Systems

It’s not clear just how listening to a radio station can ruin, crash, or freeze a car’s infotainment system. We’ve never heard of such a thing, but we guess it’s possible. Some say it might have something to do with how the song and artist information is coded for HD radio so it displays on the infotainment screen. And this just highlights yet again why we love the beautiful simplicity of classic cars.

Reportedly, a Mazda dealer in the area blamed the problem on the launch of 5G. We covered how with 5G coming into use 3G networks are being shut down, rendering some car features entirely useless, but it’s not clear if that’s what has bricked these Mazda infotainment systems.

READ ON>...

https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/npr-station-mazda-infotainment/

1 minute ago, f.f.jones said:

NPR Station Sabotages Mazda Infotainment Systems

It’s not clear just how listening to a radio station can ruin, crash, or freeze a car’s infotainment system. We’ve never heard of such a thing, but we guess it’s possible. Some say it might have something to do with how the song and artist information is coded for HD radio so it displays on the infotainment screen. And this just highlights yet again why we love the beautiful simplicity of classic cars.

Reportedly, a Mazda dealer in the area blamed the problem on the launch of 5G. We covered how with 5G coming into use 3G networks are being shut down, rendering some car features entirely useless, but it’s not clear if that’s what has bricked these Mazda infotainment systems.

READ ON>...

https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/npr-station-mazda-infotainment/

Sounds interesting.  Someone I work with was watching his son on a team, playing lacrosse remotely at some stadium in Georgia where there was music blasting from the facility's soundsystem during the game.  Suddenly the screen on his laptop went black, with a copyright infringement notice. Turns out, the carrier was not licensed to play any music from Nirvana (I believe it was) which came on.   Maybe music on the radio is starting to do the same??

Craig

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

"Field Day Of The Past" in Goochland County Va has a working steam powered sawmill running for three days in October. Quite a sight to see, making trees into rough cut lumber. No guards on that 4' or so head saw! Public not allowed in the action area, plenty of spectator fence to lean on.

Reminds me of the time I last visited Don Robertson up in Jerome AZ.

Cell phones, who needs a stinkin cell phone?

We got to talking and he asked why I was so interested in all this stuff, so I let him know my love for ole Dodge Brothers vehicles. He was then kind enough to surprise me with a personal tour of his home and in the back of his house he had a restored 1929 Dodge Brothers DA6 in a lil garage. I was completely shocked as it was stashed away next to the mountain.

One of a kind 

Fun times!

And, if you show up around 8AM on Saturday with an old car, admission is FREE and you are entered in a car show.👍

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 2:24 PM, AzBob said:

My 3g iPhone 4 is on the list for not working after Dec. 2022. I ordered a new 4g LTE flip phone "dumbphone"  from Verizon. Yes they are still available and I love it. :)   Don't care for touch screens, I like real buttons to push. Oh, has look ahead XT9 texting so not as cumbersome to text on as the old phones. Internet as well.  

1338998265_ScreenShot2022-02-14at2_19_41PM.png.09d7fcde9143eefa5782e3fb45ee36f4.pngKyocera DuraXV Extreme ruggedized flip phone.

I've got one of those phones too, plus some of my friends have them as well. I see a lot of them in town too. Us old timers in Prescott are very stubborn!  

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, J.H.Boland said:

Apparently, Henry didn't learn the lesson either. After WW2 Henry was offered the whole of VW and he turned it down.

How many of us old ----- (fill in the blanks) still wear a wrist watch?

How many of us still wear a wrist watch and also carry a cell phone?

How long have you had your cell phone and still wear a watch?

How long did it take you to realize the watch was redundant and put it aside after getting your cell phone?

Do you wear both a belt and suspenders?      ...sock or sleeve garters?   🦕   😁 

Be honest, now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not redundant for me. I wear the watch on my wrist so I can see it quick. I keep my phone in back my pocket, where it is more difficult to pull it out to see the time,  until I go where phones are not allowed, and I can still know what time it is!👍

• Like 5

I always wear a wristwatch. Goes back to my Uncle Gene's philosophy that a gentleman should always wear a nice watch and a nice hat. Granted sometimes the hat is a nice ball cap.

Just finished the Friday morning clock ritual. I set my digital wristwatch (to the second) by NIST station WWV, Ft Collins CO, using the 1963 Zenith transistorized TransOceanic. Then I set the clocks as needed using the wristwatch.

Sure, I could use my phone to set everything since it tracks NIST time to the second, but where's the adventure and satisfaction in that? Especially when you have a TransOceanic that can pick up a shortwave station 2000 miles away?

20th Century Man indeed. Wonder what Mr Davies thinks of the 21st?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

How many of us old ----- (fill in the blanks) still wear a wrist watch?

How many of us still wear a wrist watch and also carry a cell phone?

How long have you had your cell phone and still wear a watch?

How long did it take you to realize the watch was redundant and put it aside after getting your cell phone?

Do you wear both a belt and suspenders?      ...sock or sleeve garters?   🦕   😁 

Be honest, now...

How many of us use a calculator while working at a computer? 

How many still carry Atlas maps in your truck?

How many use a calculator in your old truck while planning your route and gas mileage from old maps while in your antique vehicle?

;) 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

How many use a calculator in your old truck while planning your route and gas mileage from old maps while in your antique vehicle?

;) 

How many of us use a calculator while working at a computer?  NO

How many still carry Atlas maps in your truck?  YES

YES, it's attached to my neck, and it's called a BRAIN! It's the best computer ever designed and ever will be designed.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

;) 

All of the above.

Never did wear a watch, or any other jewelry.

Now with the new age of cell phones I finally know what time it is.

• Like 1

Back when I worked summers at Six Flags one of their many rules was no visible cell phones on stage. Drove the young ones nuts as most did not hardly know what a watch was much less own one.  Hilarious to watch  them try to sneak looks at the phones hoping the bosses would not see them. Some got caught and if a second offense, fired.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Little know cellphone ownership feature is  turning people invisible. I was standing last on line with a box of ten wrapped books to mail when a cellphone owner just walked in and stood on line in front of me. Outweighed by a good 75-85 pounds I didn't say a thing to her.  

• Haha 3

I tried a smart phone. Hated it. Finger touch thing does not work for me. I guess maybe because I spent so many years working with my hands. Joined up with Consumer Cellular and have just a simple flip cell phone. With phone replacement insurance included it is around 25 buck a month. Voice only. I don't waste no time with texts. Voice only.  Either talk to me or don't. It is your only choice if you want to connect. Internet is with a computer at home with a keyboard that works when I hit the keys. The screen has broken several times on the cell phone. I call them up from my home phone if the cell is not working and they send me a new one in a day or two. I send the broken one back no charge. Eazy to connect the new phone. Best phone company I have delt with for older folks that just don't want to deal with the overwhelming tech we have today. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Wonder if the patent for a fork attachment to smart phones has been filed, might be a money maker, since they are holding the phone while eating anyway. 

Don't hold your breath; I'm still waiting for the mobile booth that was promised years ago. Thought for sure that was the next big thing ;).

Sometimes I think my smartphone is just a device to find booths that don't exist. Guess that explains why most folks look like they are driving in circles now days.

Image result for Funny Cell Phone GIF

(This message is sponsored by the "how far off topic can we get" Committee, paid for with funds from readers who could care less)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

I have been looking at smart glasses frames and will probably have a pair within a year. I would really like a "heads up" display if I can get them. For at least 20 years I have been open to the idea of a computer chip implant around the temple to go with the coming glasses.

In 1974 a computer became a part of my daily work tools. Before Windows I used to type a string of DOS code to access points. There was a rhythm to it.

My expectations were always higher than the current level of technology. When a salesman touted Direct Digital Control I questioned the need for a transducer. In 1982 I asked a vendor for advice on a computer for home. He said "You will never find one to please you. You expect too much from this" and pointed at a system used to monitor equipment for for the space shuttle Challenger.

Preparation for the world's greatest non-event, Y2K, brought us fully into the network dependence that pervades today. Prior to that many networks were private and user maintained. And I stayed away from leading edge. I found oldest technology to be better understood and more people accustomed to the required service and operation. Joining THE network changed my opinion on that. One needs the knowledge to understand what they have.

I find very few people using highly technical equipment who have set down in a classroom for formal training on the most basic concepts. For 15 years I taught the 4th year of a 4 year apprenticeship program that covered a wide range of technologies. I spent most of my time teaching what should have been the basics of the first year. I couldn't fail anyone. They would have repeated the 4th year when they needed so much of years 1, 2, and 3.

In the 1980's we had a lot of country bands playing the bars around here. I remember one band member telling me they had $4,000 tied up in equipment, not a penny in lessons. That thought must have stuck in my head for some reason.

Old cars.  I have a 15 year old Chevy Avalanche. 15 years is kind of a sweet spot for me to buy a keeper. One 15 year old car I bought is 55 years old now. My Avalache developed a rough idle after a freezing morning start. I diagnosed it through the computer with a $600 reader. The information I accessed did not tell me what to fix. It showed me conditions that I applied learned knowledge to, fixed, and probably saved $400 or so. I also had to make it unlearn fuel trim parameters that caused the problem. It is a 15 year old vehicle but the system applies to 30 year old cars as well. If I hadn't known to clear the fuel trim memory new parts would have failed shortly after.

Bottom line, I enjoy new technology as well as old and I like to dig in and learn the basics to the point where the details just flow in along with it. That's the future of things. When you look at it that was also the past. We were just good a making things look like they worked in many instances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 12:01 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

I do ALL the time. Whole lot easier pushing buttons on the calculator that typing in the numbers and functions. Besides, the screen does not get overlaid with the calculator function, so I can read and calculate at the same time. Then there is the RPN thing, as none of my computer calculators does RPN. For those that do not know what RPN stands for, it is the old adding machine logic. Number in then function, just like the old mechanical adding machines. No equal (=) key.

Lucky I have an RPN calculator app in my smart phone, as I do not carry an HP calculator everywhere I go.

I also have lots of shop manuals in my cell phone and tablet. Great for club tech sessions or just answering questions people call me with when I'm not home.👍

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 11:59 PM, f.f.jones said:

This article lists the domestic and foreign cars that will loose GPS

So, my old iPhones that no longer have cell service do just fine with their GPS apps, like the Speedometer app I use in the Graham. (Yes I could fix the speedometer, but this is so much easier for now...)  I know when they were on cell service they used LTE, so I guess they will continue to work. Time will tell.

Then again, I thought the cell phone received data directly from the GPS satellites.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 7:28 AM, J.H.Boland said:

Taking photos isn't anything new in our family. My grandmother was documenting farm life with a Kodak box camera as early as 1907. She developed them herself in her own darkroom too. Good thing she didn't have to lug the phone out there ! (That's her on the left in the third photo).

JH Boland, 

As a person who has sometimes been interested in genealogy, I think those photos that your grandmother took are an amazing treasure for your family! How very fortunate for you. Congrats! 

• Like 1

Just had a light-hearted memory from my childhood in the 1960's. Our family usually preferred Chevrolet cars, and in the late 1960's, Chevy started eliminating the wing windows (or vent windows, if you prefer). I can clearly recall my dad grumbling about it, and saying, "They're eliminating cozy wings, just so they can force you to buy air conditioning on newer cars!" I guess it has long been true that manufacturers stop supporting old technology in their products...

For what it's worth, my parents were mid-level blue collar single-paycheck...but never owned a brand new car. 

• Like 1