1939 Roadmaster Phaeton -Surprised by Sale

kingrudy

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-487209/1939-buick-roadmaster-series-80-sport-phaeton/

I follow the Mecum auctions and for the most part I am surprised by the price of many cars, but this one shocked me. I do not own an 1939 Buicks, but know people who do. The sale price of this car sure seems low to me. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I have a 1937 Roadmaster Converible Phaeton. I have no personal experience with 1939s. From what I see in the photos, I would say that condition is decent but not excellent. The top appears to need to be replaced. I did not see any engine comparment photos, so would wonder what it looked like under the hood. These 80 Series Phaetons are impressive cars but they are not everybody's cup of tea. I too would be interested in what it sold for. 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-487209/1939-buick-roadmaster-series-80-sport-phaeton/

I follow the Mecum auctions and for the most part I am surprised by the price of many cars, but this one shocked me. I do not own an 1939 Buicks, but know people who do. The sale price of this car sure seems low to me. Any thoughts?

That was certainly cheap. I would think that is an unusual situation for it to go that cheap. I have seen cars that had a dead battery and would not start to go through an auction and they sold for stupid cheap money just because the owner or auction house was too cheap to put a battery in it, or in too much of a rush to jump start the car. Maybe it would not run... who knows? Sometimes auctions go crazy high and sometimes they go crazy low.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Sale price was $24,200, which means the final bid was $22,000. Shockingly cheap.

At a well publicized auction......that IS all the money.

Sure got a lot of value for their money.

• Like 5

Remember, 2 or 3 years ago, forum member Dynaflash8

was selling his carefully restored 1939 Buick Special phaeton. 

He too found out that such cars are not as popular as they

used to be.  It sounds as if he got considerably less than he

expected, but more than the subject car sold for.

• Like 1

Again.........It’s not about what your car is worth...........it’s what other choices you have for the same money. You can buy open Cadillacs from a similar vintage for just a bit more money...........the times, and rules on buying and selling are changing..........no reserve auctions reset the market........up or down.

• Like 2

May I also add my personal pet peeve (one of numerous) commentary/inquiry about any "surprising"(?) auction result ?

Does any of you personally know either the consignor or high bidder enough to confirm (reported) "result" actually being a real transaction ?

My guess is that it is a $35-45k car and that it will be for sale shortly at that price.  

Mecum is a good place to purchase pre war cars of this caliber.  95 percent of the bidders have no interest and most dealers with some interest will be vary cautious (ie low bidding).

To be honest, I’m not sure there is a good auction venue for pre war cars of this caliber.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Sale price was $24,200, which means the final bid was $22,000. Shockingly cheap.

Good series 40 Specials can go for that money.

Of course no idea how it runs or drives. Or looks under the hood.

Spending ~$100 on a repro steering wheel centre plastic would have been easy. Steering wheel is good.

Left rear wheel cover looks like it does not fit well

Dash painted and not wood grained

As above may have ended up with a dealer to resell

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard08.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

3 hours ago, papafarms said:

The price of prewar cars keep dropping, due to the fact that not too many want them anymore, just that simple.

No, you don’t want them, so you tend to think no one wants them.  I have a hot rod minded friend who thinks the same way, he stated no one wants my 1910 Buick sitting there, when I told him what I could sell it for with a couple of phone calls he was still dubious. There’s a huge market out there and one can’t judge the market by one’s personal taste. Others think differently than you, though that’s a hard concept for a lot of people to grasp.

There are always bargains here and there at auctions.  What’s not known in printed  material is the rest of the story.  Car not running across auction block?  Serious engine knocks?  Lots of filler, bondo and paint to make it look like it what it ain’t?  Dry rotted tires and hoses?  Who knows?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1.  No reserve Musclecar auction.

2.  Convertible sedan.

3.  Not top of the line series

4.  We have no idea what the real condition of the car is.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = what we perceive to be a cheap price,  but may in fact be nothing more than wholesale or cheap retail.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

No, you don’t want them, so you tend to think no one wants them.  I have a hot rod minded friend who thinks the same way, he stated no one wants my 1910 Buick sitting there, when I told him what I could sell it for with a couple of phone calls he was still dubious. There’s a huge market out there and one can’t judge the market by one’s personal taste. Others think differently than you, though that’s a hard concept for a lot of people to grasp.

There are always bargains here and there at auctions.  What’s not known in printed  material is the rest of the story.  Car not running across auction block?  Serious engine knocks?  Lots of filler, bondo and paint to make it look like it what it ain’t?  Dry rotted tires and hoses?  Who knows?

I'd like to have your 1910 Buick, but can't understand the people that spend $400,000.+ for a Chrysler product from the late 1960's. My fantasy bid on the Hirohata Mercury was $900,000. short. Hope it has a loving new caretaker.

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hey boys.....watch the video.......the car has paint flaking off, all bad glass, tons of dash issues......it’s a typical case of photos make a respray with issues look nice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

ToTrimacar:  The comment i made was in general, the price of prewar cars continue to decline, not everyone wants prewar cars, i own a 40 Buick fully restored, and am negotiating on a 34 Buick, personally, i love these cars, i think they are total class, but the reality of it is, the price continues to decline.  That is my point and you are wrong about me, so please don't assume you know my wants or preferences.  Have a nice day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTR said:

May I also add my personal pet peeve (one of numerous) commentary/inquiry about any "surprising"(?) auction result ?

Does any of you personally know either the consignor or high bidder enough to confirm (reported) "result" actually being a real transaction ?

I mean, while I don't (have time nor interest to) watch TV or follow auctions, last I heard Mecum was some entertainment show in former and allegedly about as real (auction) as shows about housewives in major metropolitan cities, survivors at inhospitable locales...

... or black'n'white movies about "Cowboys and Indians" I saw as a kid. 🙄

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, car crazy said:

$205,000 vs. $22,000 (hammer)

I have to admit, I am flabbergasted. But surely there is more to the story of these price differences than the pictures can show. Thanks for posting.

P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

I might be one of the few in this forum, but I would not have a 55, 56 or 57 Chevy. Way too common of a car for my taste, but that's what makes this hobby interesting, the variety of cars to choose from. 

I am in this club with you! If I found one REAL cheap I would part it out and use the money on my Buicks 😇!!!

• Like 2

I looked at the video again. After expanding the video to full screen, the condition of the car is much worse that it looked viewing it initially. If the condition of what I can't see under the hood is anything like the condition of the rest of what I can see in the enlarged video, the price is not that surprising.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I looked at the video again. After expanding the video to full screen, the condition of the car is much worse that it looked viewing it initially. If the condition of what I can't see under the hood is anything like the condition of the rest of what I can see in the enlarged video, the price is not that surprising.

I agree with you about the condition. If the flat glass is delaminated (old), speedometer face is flaking, paint falling off of the car, what would you find if you really inspected it?

1 hour ago, car crazy said:

$205,000 vs. $22,000 (hammer)

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.00.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.02.33 PM.png

While I don't find either appealing nor interesting, I'd take (buy ?) latter far before former.

Assuming not much additional isn't wasted on it, loosing tons of money is going to be less likely...

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

...what we perceive to be a cheap price,  but may in fact be nothing more than wholesale or cheap retail.

If I may contribute my thoughts:

In the antique-car hobby, there is no "wholesale" nor "retail."

It's not as if a manufacturer is distributing antique cars

through distributors and middlemen so that hobbyists can

finally buy them.  Instead, I would use the term "realistically

priced" and "overpriced."

Affordable prices, if that is the case here, always help car fans

enter or expand their hobby.

• Like 1

I have had the pleasure of attending the Kissimmee Auction several times, and I must admit out of the 3500 cars there only a handful are really nice, and the price reflects it. Everything looks better in pictures. I would not say that the interest has diminished in post-war WWII cars but the interest has diminished in post WWII cars that need a lot of money and time. The internet and digital photos have given buyers more options, and forums have given educations to buyers.  That 39 Buick is real neat car, but lets face it, it is not a question if it could be a money pit. we all agree it is. $24,200 and you still have to get it out of there.  That car will eat another $15-20K real fast, besides the paint, every mechanical system is probably neglected and needs to be overhauled.     

11 hours ago, papafarms said:

ToTrimacar:  The comment i made was in general, the price of prewar cars continue to decline, not everyone wants prewar cars, i own a 40 Buick fully restored, and am negotiating on a 34 Buick, personally, i love these cars, i think they are total class, but the reality of it is, the price continues to decline.  That is my point and you are wrong about me, so please don't assume you know my wants or preferences.  Have a nice day

I apologize for making the assumption about your interests. 

It was not meant to be a personal attack, but rather a comment that points out in many cases, when some says "no one likes that", it's because the person saying it doesn't like it.

Again, I'm sorry, and will try to be clearer and more sensitive in future comments.  I should have made the comment in general, but reading it now it is too specific.

• Like 1