1939 Roadmaster Phaeton -Surprised by Sale

kingrudy

15 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I have a 1937 Roadmaster Converible Phaeton. I have no personal experience with 1939s. From what I see in the photos, I would say that condition is decent but not excellent. The top appears to need to be replaced. I did not see any engine comparment photos, so would wonder what it looked like under the hood. These 80 Series Phaetons are impressive cars but they are not everybody's cup of tea. I too would be interested in what it sold for. 

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

that's disappointing

Look at the video of the car. Be sure to enlarge it to full screen. The car's condition appears to be such that it needs about everything. It's all there, but it needs a lot of work. There are no photos or video of the engine compartment, and I have no idea if the car will even run or not. One auction result does not mean nearly as much as people seem to want to make of it.   

Just now, MCHinson said:

Look at the video of the car. Be sure to enlarge it to full screen. The car's condition appears to be such that it needs about everything. It's all there, but it needs a lot of work. There are no photos or video of the engine compartment, and I have no idea if the car will even run or not. One auction result does not mean nearly as much as people seem to want to make of it.   

yeah I guess there is a separate thread and i saw more info on the car there after I posted this.

Still a lot of rare car for pennies.

• Like 2

Matt Hinson, why would you say the '39 Buick is not everyone's cup of tea.  They are certainly my cup of tea, and I've owned a dozen in my 83 years.  I consider them beautiful, and could just as well say the '37-38 are not my cup of tea.  I mean, to each his own without any demeaning comments.  Different people like different styling and the '39 was not a bad car.  My parents drove one from 1941-1951 and we traveled all over the country.  That said, I don't follow auctions, but if the '39 mentioned had fender skirts, I did see the picture and thought it was beautiful.  If I'd had any idea it would sell for $22,000 I'd have driven the 100 miles over to Kississimee.  As to my '39 Special phaeton, I had a lousy dealer for one thing.  It was sold for $35,000 the day before I had open heart surgery when I didn't know if I'd wake up in the morning.  The man in Virginia sold it through a good dealer for about $47,000 and the new owner, who also had a '41 Super phaeton, has run it through the system for a new Senior.  It ran very well, albeit it had a '37 block in it, and we drove it on many tours.  So now, why are the pre-war cars falling in value?  Most of us who grew up with them and love them are now in our mid-70's through mid-90's.  It's too late in life now.  I'm pulling the trailer to Melbourne, to see if I can.  I want to go to the Sentimental Tour one more time, but I'm afraid to pull that 24-foot trailer 1,000 miles each way.  I bought a '91 Park Avenue for other tours, and just bought a '71 Dodge Swinger Slant 6 with Air to see if that would work better here in Florida.  These cars do not have power steering or air conditioning.  They are harder to turn and if you live in the south, especially Florida, they are hot as hadess.  I just sold my '41 Roadmaster sedan because with the 15-inch wheels, it was harder to driver and hotter to drive.  In addition, in Florida it is absolutely necessary to find non-Ethanol gas or they will vaporlock going down the road.  The '41 would do that, sometimes with what they call non-Ethanol here.  I lifelong '39 Buick Special sedan seems to be better.  I wrapped the gas line in insulation and put a shroud on the radiator.  It doesn't vapor lock anymore and with the leather interior, it seems to be cooler, although I don't run long distances anymore.  I've even thought of the dreaded idea of a  '39 Buick "resto-rod" with 1956-1969 power steering, air condition, a straight-six or small V-8,  automatic and a Chevy truck rear end so I could keep original wheels and tires.  I even thought about moving back to Virginia but that weather up there quickly changes my mind.  I still scan all of the For Sale listings for '39 Buicks.  Best to all, Dynaflash8

When the sign on the windshield or the adverting copy reads like a clip from the encyclopedia of American cars you can pretty much figure you are "buying work".

937645737_Screenshot(1489).png.3e2283acdc83d5dfb64caafbcdd174c7.png

Recent service, minor or major. Age of the tires. Recent long trip. Those are things that tell the compelling story to a buyer.

The paint repair needed around the windshield frame could eat up a few thousand dollars when you get into replacing the gasket and interior trim. Looks like a base coat/clear coat job going bad as well.

The pre-WWII cars at auctions are coming out of the garages of 70 to 90 years olds. The lumpy ones have probably been sitting in the garage with boxes of the Christmas ornaments on the hood and roof. There are certainly exceptions but many older owners of those 1930' and '40's cars are getting by with a lot of deferred maintenance on those older cars. If there is a club function and not a show the mechanically inclined ones will show up in an SUV. The more aesthetically attuned will have a crossover.  Or something newer.

8 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Matt Hinson, why would you say the '39 Buick is not everyone's cup of tea.  

Earl, Look closely at what I wrote. I was not referring to 1939's specifically. I said that "these 80 Series Phaetons" are not everybody's cup of tea. In the past you have told me you did not like the large series cars. At the time, I did not understand why, but think I do now. I have been driving my 80 Series almost exclusively for the last year. I drove my 60 Series Century last week and was reminded of how much quicker, easier to park, and just fun to drive the Century was. I love them both, but the smaller series is a more practical car to drive for most people. 

The condition of that particular car looks good when you first glance at the photos but if you enlarge the video to full screen size you will see that it was in terrible condition. What I can see shows it to be a project car needing full restoration, and who knows how bad the areas not seen in the photos or video are?

"Time waits for no one"

I was also a bit suprised that a 1970 El Camino could bring $250,000 while a 1958 Impala convertible brought $84,000.

Even the 50's car's are starting to taper off in price, unless they have been "Resto-modded" past the point of sanity.

• Like 2

I have some casual friends who are regular Mecum buyers.  Very successful in what they do for a living and into cars but not the way most of the posters are on this board.   They don't necessarily have the bandwidth or inclination to really know what they are buying so they are attracted to flash.   That is why you see those resto-mods bringing huge amounts of money.  Flash.   Bling. 

Btw,  as somebody who is interested in a few fairly hard to find musclecars,  if I actually had the money to do it,  Mecum might be the only avenue.   These cars come up for sale every other year or so but are usually only at a Mecum auction. 

The Buick we are talking should be bought privately through a Buick club member.  No need to pay the frictional costs of a big land auction.

And finally,  looking at the close ups of the car in question,  I would not let you give that to me if I was responsible for cleaning up.

• Like 3

Dynaflash8. You ask “Matt Hinson, why would you say the '39 Buick is not everyone's cup of tea?” Then say “Different people like different styling and the '39 was not a bad car.”  Which I agree with but look at what I drive. 

You seem to want it both ways. Maybe the answer to that is, ambiguous should have more than one definition. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

Earl, Look closely at what I wrote. I was not referring to 1939's specifically. I said that "these 80 Series Phaetons" are not everybody's cup of tea. In the past you have told me you did not like the large series cars. At the time, I did not understand why, but think I do now. I have been driving my 80 Series almost exclusively for the last year. I drove my 60 Series Century last week and was reminded of how much quicker, easier to park, and just fun to drive the Century was. I love them both, but the smaller series is a more practical car to drive for most people. 

The condition of that particular car looks good when you first glance at the photos but if you enlarge the video to full screen size you will see that it was in terrible condition. What I can see shows it to be a project car needing full restoration, and who knows how bad the areas not seen in the photos or video are?

If that is what you said, then okay.  I agree, I do like the Special and Super the best for my own personal reasons.  The only picture I saw of the Series 80, I did not try to get right down and judge it, you are correct.  I found that one picture to be astoundingly beautiful.  And, now that I'm older, all pre-war cars are more difficult for me.  Any larger series Buick I know of have that three-piece manifold, except 1941-42.  I had a '39 Century and had to deal with that manifold and 15-inch wheels and tires, and I didn't like it as well as my Special's.  Again, as a non-mechanic that is how I felt on a purely personal basis.  My '41 Limited's drove well, but I found the '41 Roadmaster to be too heavy for me to handle, and that might be my advanced age now.  Matt, I did not mean to come down on you hard, but being a longtime personal friend I know you don't care for any '39 from the design standpoint, and I think they are beautiful.  90% out of phase <broad smile>

• Like 1

The 55 chevy probably had a A$100k interior! I like the tri-5's but not ready to trade in for one. That one was particularly nice for what it was. Another one of those stupid money cars. That Buick would need A$100k to bring near the same level. Seems priced right for a weekend driver, tour car that you dont want to worry about a ding here or there.

• Like 1