Big Collection for sale in upstate NY

alsfarms

Does anyone have an update or status on the sell-off of the huge collection of old automobiles located in upstate NY, if I remember correctly.  My thinking is this collection could assist many restorations if access, purchase and transportation could all be worked out in an affordable, palatable fashion to both the seller and buyer. Sadly, my thoughts probably are not a reality at all.  Share your updates, if you have any.

What a coincidence!  I had that dream last night too! Gotta love that single malt Scotch!

terry

• Haha 1

Perhaps if a little more information where - about the location- 'upstate NY' could be anyplace from Albany to Buffalo ( kinda like saying that a car is located in the New England states) 😇  Perhaps it was the one ( I am venturing a wild guess here) located near Utica,NY  perhaps a bit south. Fellow there was buying cars for many years and not to cooperative to try to help others out , a bit self centered. I do not recall the name as I just wrote the possibility of anything happening at some reasonable rate of $ /sale would be a lot of wishes, hopes, effort for naught.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)

Walt, being from the mountain west, I am not the best with New York geography..... that said, you have spoke directly of the collection I made my inquiry about.  It seems that the initial sale date was sometime in November, right in front of the New York winter. That item alone makes travel and loaded transportation a problem.  Does anyone know how many autos were sold during this first event?  Will additional sales events/efforts be made during a better season? I am curious....

Al

Thanks for posting the auction listing for the huge unrestored automobile collection, the subject of my inquiry.  I could be very wrong, but I suspect that this auction sales event was likely not very productive either to the seller or the potential buyer?  That defines a Lose-Lose situation, not a Win-Win scenario.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

hmmmm....I just scrolled through the results of the auction.  It appears that everything that was shown on the auction flyer was sold.  Prices were what I would have expected in most cases.  I hope in some degree, some can be saved and the rest used as parts donors to save another from the junk pile.  I bet the building looks a bit different now.  I wonder what is behind door #2?

• Like 1

Delving through the more difficult, some of these would be worthy of the effort, but paperwork will surely be a difficult situation.

Many with   " no transferable paperwork". 

I particularly like, "no title, no keys"  type ads. Though it wouldn't be the case in an auction like this, that could just be some random guy taking random pics of old cars he comes across. 😄 I especially like it when the ad is on eBay and the "seller" has no sale or even purchase history.

1 hour ago, John348 said:

NYS did not have titles until 1973, vehicles had a registration card with a transfer stub that was signed on the back to the new owner. looking like most of these cars were taken in as junk, those cards were long lost or destroyed

Thank you for taking the time to explain this! We will never run out of people crying about tiles and paperwork, someone should add some violin music to add to their sorrow. 

• Like 1

No paperwork may not be insurmountable.  I haven't done this for a number of years, but in my experience, the New York DMV has been easy to work with and much more user-friendly than other states.   If you appear in person, bring documentation, be clean, and act politely, you may end up with the ownership papers you need for registration.

I met a fellow a few years ago looking for parts. He told me (keep in mind this was the first time I met the guy) a story of a fellow he knew that retired from the NY dmv that took a box full of blank titles when he left. He said he could get any car titled with no problem. His side of the story was the NY guy would make a new title on the 'official paper' he had, then it was sent to another guy in another state to transfer the title. All of the this sounded very illegal to me and I just nodded and grinned.  

27 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I met a fellow a few years ago looking for parts. He told me (keep in mind this was the first time I met the guy) a story of a fellow he knew that retired from the NY dmv that took a box full of blank titles when he left. He said he could get any car titled with no problem. His side of the story was the NY guy would make a new title on the 'official paper' he had, then it was sent to another guy in another state to transfer the title. All of the this sounded very illegal to me and I just nodded and grinned.  

There's no end to shady deals.  In my case, every transaction was in-person at the DMV office and legit.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harold said:

No paperwork may not be insurmountable.  I haven't done this for a number of years, but in my experience, the New York DMV has been easy to work with and much more user-friendly than other states.   If you appear in person, bring documentation, be clean, and act politely, you may end up with the ownership papers you need for registration.

I have heard this rumor before, but I never found that user friendly helpful experience at a NYS DMV office myself. I don't think that experience exists in the lower 9 counties.

Either way it is royal pain in the butt to try to get the paper work on a car that has been out of the system that long in NYS

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1