Old terminology

Buick35

10 hours ago, hook said:

That's easy. Just look at some of these monstrous pick up trucks of today.

3 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Those are step rails.

My 2001 Ford Expedition has actual running boards! I didn't even think of that one when I answered my 1915 model T.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 3:45 PM, Restorer32 said:

And what exactly is the difference between macadam and tarmac?

The terms are used interchangeably now but the original "macadam" was invented in the late 18th century by a gentleman name MacAdam and consisted of crushed stones bound with tar or bitumen. Tarmac is, as far as I know, all a tar based product. I have a real macadam surface on my driveway but the number of contractors that still do it is apparently very small.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JACK M said:

I guess I don't know.

I have never paid money to listen to a radio.

You paid by listening to the ads on the radio or television. That's how advertising works. A company gives money to the station in the hopes people listen and buy what they are selling. Other radio and TV is paid by people sending money in to support religious programming. Other countries have radio and TV tax, as the media is owned by the government. 

As in most things in life, follow the money.

Edited by Frank DuVal
double post (see edit history)

Jack, TINSTAAFL is There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Someone else on here had it as a signature, maybe Padgett. Seemed appropriate to the discussion about media and how it seems to be free, but really isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Bennett said:

“if you keep your engine in the bonnet”, and “your bonnet is in the boot”

Yep, says the Corvair and VW Beetle owner!

11 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Nice try. But, every set of “running boards”” I have ever seen, and, believe me, I have seen more than a few, really were not long enough to “run” on. Most of them didn’t even invite a good walk. And, so far as a person “running” to catch a speeding car, and ending the chase by “jumping” on the boards while running, well, maybe they should be called “jumping” boards then. And even at that, what may have began as a good idea may have turned bad if the car is a coupe, like my 23 DB Roadster, or a car built with suicide doors. And, I am positively certain that, if they could “run”, the boards on both my 1927 WK A70 or DB Roadster, would have scurried away from the car early on in the beginning of their 40+ years of idle captivity while awaiting their discovery, recovery and restoration.🙄.

OK Jack, going on your statement about running boards you included the same misnomer. Have you ever seen a door commit "suicide" ? I haven't. I've seen them murdered by someone opening them when they shouldn't have. But I never saw one commit suicide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, the engine is under the bonnet and we store things in the boot. Gasoline is petrol and the thing around the wheel is a tyre. The topless car is a roadster and sometimes refered to as a ragtop. Take your pick. Not against the law.

Cheers.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 1:33 PM, JACK M said:

So, my new Ram has "Power Deployed Running boards" And they sure are handy when climbing up into the beast.

Until the logic board controlling them loses its logic.

The factory ones on my 08 F150 are tucked too close to the body to be much use. The non-OE ones on the 93 stick out far enough to be shin-busters.

There are still a lot of macadam roads in rural Vajenya. Pour a base of tar or asphalt, pour gravel on the tar, then use a hot roller to compact and bind it. Makes a good secondary road.

Back when I was getting my degree in mechanical engineering we used “foot-pounds” for torque (or “inch-pounds” if the value was small). I see that also in the 1930s automotive literature I have.

Now every description I see for modern cars uses “pound-feet” which just sounds weird to me. Same number as it doesn’t mater if you do (ft * lbs) or (lbs * ft), the number is the same. Just the name has been changed. I have heard that it is to use the same order as the metric folks that use newton-meters but I suspect it is probably just to annoy old codgers like me.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ply33 said:

"pound-feet”...Just the name has been changed. 

Don't disparage yourself, Mr. Plymouth!

Human thoughts and opinions are variable.

"Foot-pounds" are common terminology even

today, though, in my branch of engineering.

And to tie in further to our automotive topic,

1 horsepower =  550 ft-lbs/second, as you likely know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Always wondered why we call back storage compartment ‘’boot’ your American trunk makes more sense , while I prefer bonnet to your American hood 😁

Because it was called the "boot" on horse-drawn carriages.

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

Because it was called the "boot" on horse-drawn carriages.

Which then leads to the question why was it called a “boot” on horse drawn carriages?

My knowledge of carriages is pretty limited. When I see a period piece movie or show or vintage photo with people riding in carriages there usually isn’t an obvious storage area in the back. But we all know how accurate TV and movies are regarding period cars so I suppose that same lack of attention to detail holds for carriages. The few carriages I have seen in museums didn’t seem to have a dedicated storage area. About the only ones I can think of that had a storage compartment in the rear (other than buckboards which I don’t think were considered carriages) were the Concord stages (also not, I think, officially a carriage). Were things different in the UK?

I also don't know much about carriage types. I know English carriages were different but by how much and at what times I'm not knowledgeable. My answer comes from having read a lot of 18th century English books, including travelogues.

38 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

A Google Image search for "bonnet" revealed mostly head wear:

Precisely, head wear for the engine.   I truly have no idea of the English origins for the names but I think of them as bonnet - engine cover, drop head, dropping the cover over your head.  Wings - kind of makes of makes sense when you look at original fenders - they do look like wings on the early cars.  Probably completely wrong in the original meanings but my way of translating the terms to Canadian

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 1