What’s Your Old Car Doing In December?

keithb7

Snow fell on our house in Canada this morning. Photo opp with the car time!  My ‘38 Chrysler actually does not leave the protection of my driveway all winter. On the odd occasion I warm it up and back it out the garage. She’s just a professional model for the camera when the snow flies. Sort of like a Vintage Cars Illustrated, Driveway Swimsuit Edition. 

Let’s see your ol’ beauty in your winter setting. Whether it be California, Norway, Alaska, Australia, Africa or anywhere else. What’s you’r car enduring this December? 

0D0D9B44-C5A4-4775-BF09-B93F3BE3C030.jpeg

• Like 4

Our city has an annual Christmas parade and asks us to provide a car or two for local dignitaries. This year it was Melanie's Chrysler wagon and the '40 Mercury convertible sedan, which Melanie and Jen decorated for the occasion. No snow, which I guess is good for the old cars, although our house (and the parade route) doesn't look very Christmas-y without it. Both cars performed flawlessly, although it was a little chilly in the Merc even with the heater cranking away under the dash.

659156501_2021-12-0416_54_39a.jpg.bc9054cbef8471d320e85ecc8ddef7c5.jpg

171630023_2021-12-0417_22_17a.jpg.5a9ff10c02501c82025be6e50a1d3642.jpg  1230612477_2021-12-0417_22_55a.jpg.b1260293cf90b8c0577c9e2073b2cb12.jpg  1785594912_2021-12-0418_54_32a.jpg.9e063aa6e9a7549b7c39e1c5bf726102.jpg  926048408_2021-12-0418_54_50a.jpg.7e235dc8cdaf7038312919a45cc64e05.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Let’s see your ol’ beauty in your winter setting. Whether it be California, Norway, Alaska, Australia, Africa or anywhere else. What’s you’r car enduring this December? 

I can't!  At least not legally!!

My plates expire on the last day of November.  I purposely let them lapse on my two Studebakers until I renew them in Springtime when old-car season starts up again.  Renewal fees are pro-rated, and I've saved hundreds of dollars over the years by doing this.  (I have Scottish blood in me!😀)  No reason to keep it licenced when there's salt on the roads.  Insurance coverage is a separate entity, and the Studebakers are covered year round.  

Craig

• Like 2

Let’s see, my 1950 Chevrolet was pouring gas all over the manifolds, again. So no driving to the local cruise in. My 1946 Chevrolet has its transmission pulled, again so I can figure out what is going on there. And my 1952 Buick got some much needed attention while the weather was nice, getting some detail work done to the front chassis area and firewall. The 1953 Buick is “sitting and rotting “. Hopefully not, just an allusion to a popular post on another forum.

• Like 1

My '13 Buick is sitting on jack stands getting new wheels made.  While there will get some more maintenance done for the other winter items on the to-do punch list. 

The Model T is being taken apart for a redo.  Hopefully will be done in late spring or early summer.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just fixed the S/G on the 15 Speedster, Working on installing a belt type starter/generator (S/G) for the 08 Model F, Plan to repair the Sylphon shudder control for the 31 Sedan, and the list goes on....

After posting this, I realized I am still waiting on parts for the S/G project.  So, I removed the Sylphon unit in the 31 Buick and found a cheap source  for the Methyl Alcohol (Mythanol) needed for the bellows.  

Instructions from The Internet:

Buick Thermostat Bellows Repair

These are fairly easy to repair. Perform an air leak-down test using 5-10 pounds of air. If necessary, solder the repair which is usually a crack in the bellows section. When disassembled, use bright light against the suspected section to see the leak area. After soldering together, fill the unit half way (and I mean only half way) with Methyl Alcohol using the "soldered over" fill area in the rear of the unit. You can also replace the soldered fill hole with a machine screw and nylon washer with sealant. Using the machine screw method also makes it easier to perform the leak-down test. Methyl Alcohol is used in some brands of Dry Gas products, so read the labels carefully. I found mine at a local Rite Aid drug store. Do not use Ethyl or Isopropel alcohol. Test the unit in a pot of boiling water before reinstalling.

Cost of Solder: $2.50

Cost of Dry Gas: $2.99

Repairing it yourself: Priceless!

Sylphon Shutter Thermostat.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

My 48 Chrysler will be sitting in my work shop this winter as I have runout of storage spaces for my cars. (all 13 of them)

It is just as well as I will not be building another car this year, I usually do one a year.

I haven't found anything that interests me so far. Usually somebody gives me something to do my magic on, this year nothing.

I have been given a 55 F100, a 38 Buick, a 41 Ford COE truck and I just had to buy a 56 F700 fire truck that was going to scrap. All have been completed and running.

I do however plan on taking a few out this winter on a nice day, especially the 57 Corvette with out a top!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trini said:

LarrySchramm , Congratlations. You will enjoy the new spokes. I had mine done by Calima Wood wheel for my 28 DB Senior last summer. What a beauty. I am still awaiting for the flaps for the last 6 months.

I am thinking about putting on new tires, but I can only find two tires. Everything is on back order.

I don't know what size tires you need, but when I was having difficulty ordering 30x3.5 clinchers for my 1924 Model T from the usual vendors, I went on Ebay and was able to get new tires from one of the suppliers there.  :)

Edited by cudaman (see edit history)

T and Dodge are resting under their silver tarps in the backyard. The T's engine is in pieces in the shop. :( One is not legal and the other is apart or would be taking them out for a spin, even in the rain or cold.

A rare day here sunny and cool. I took my 1929 Cadillac dual cowl out for a ride. Since it just arrived this was the 1st time (not raining) I had a 32 mile round trip, a good lunch and no problems. While chilly in a phaeton it was delightful. 82083518.jpg.7c6d49ad406b9e9dad649443f4d53a03.jpg.dce328543c2976989ace59c42c70a542.jpg

no the weather was not this nice, but the only photo I have.

brasscarguy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Usually drive the 1937 Buick at least once a week on sunny winter days but this year I've had to run the a-c so far in December. Supposed to change this coming week. Had a South Wind gas heater but it was removed 30 years ago. Being a dark color no heater needed on sunny days.

• Thanks 1

It’s been a pretty warm December here in eastern PA. I took our Lasalle out for a spin yesterday before tucking it in for the winter. I don’t like to drive on the local roads after we have first snow snd the roads have been salted. But until then, if the weather is mild, I may continue to take them out. 

E81FF4BD-95C0-449D-A7F7-1CE94DD1A23B.jpeg

• Like 1

I still had a few Christmas presents to buy for my wife. She took our DD to town to get her nails done. The bulk of the insurance is off my '99 Jeep till spring. The old cars are fully insured year round and since a recent heavy rainstorm washed the salt off the roads, I went shopping with the '40 Packard coupe. When I came out of the store, a couple of guys were standing admiring it. I asked them if they liked my winter beater. They didn't believe me for a second. After a lengthy conversation  I took them for a spin.

Restoring Packard wheels 003.JPG

• Like 2