1942 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet.......Thoughts?

lelshaddai

The owner just text me. I guess in 1983 the car was absolutely complete. He has been working on it since. The undercarriage has been powder coated and I would agree with that with the pictures I have. She also seems to be more agreeable to negotiations on price. A very nice woman.

• Like 2

I agree on the fact that it can cost more to restore a car than to buy one restored. I have always fought with that when doing these cars. There’s just something in getting the old vehicles running and back on the street again that appeals. I don’t have bunches of money to waste on  things but I enjoy the work. There might be a price point somewhere that makes it worth being a driver. She has invited me over to go through the 15 or so boxes of parts and pieces. At that time I’ll go through the cab of the car and see what’s underneath all the seats.

• Like 3

Well truth be told I bet nearly all of us have had at least one "Christine moment", you know the scene where Arnie sees the Plymouth for the first time, a total load, and all good sense goes out the window...

Lelshaddia I think, is getting pulled in.  But, it doesn't sound like your going in totally blind. 

You might already know this but repowered as well as v12 powered 40 -48 connie coupes in driver condition trade in the teens to maybe $20k for a decent driver.  20s if really nice. Drop tops around  $30 - 35 k for a presentable decent driver.  Show cars command a bit more but at least you have some point of reference.  Often you can do better if you turn over some rocks.

Curious, have you been seeking a Lincoln or just any interesting project?

Good luck no matter what you decide.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I have always been one to enjoy getting someone's unfinished project, and bringing it back from the brink. To me, there is a special joy in hearing it run for its first time in decades!

There is also a certain satisfaction when cruising down the road that you know every nut and bolt holding the car together! 

I have never had money to waste. Usually I needed to find a car that needed something in order for it to be affordable. And, usually, I have done alright on those cars financially. Almost any car I cannot afford to buy the one I would really like? I can be just as happy with one that may not be quite as nice? But fairly well sorted.

Not telling you what to do.

Just for perspective, here is a '48 Continental cabriolet offered on Craigslist, typical of how Continentals ended up once they'd been in the used car mill:

1948 Lincoln Continental - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

And a '48 coupe, ready to drive, what make V8 engine unspecified:

1948 Lincoln Continental - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

And a '41 Cabriolet about in similar condition to the '42 in question:

1941 Lincoln Continental - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

And a '41 coupe with a Chrysler Hemi for power:

1941 Lincoln Continental - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added another listing. (see edit history)

Most of the old cars & trucks that have passed through my hands fit the same pattern: none would ever be worth a fortune, no matter what I did with them. All had sat neglected for 10-15 years, typically passing through several hands of well-intentioned people who never made any real progress. I nursed each back to health, thoroughly enjoying myself all the while learning, growing. Each car left me better than before I owned it. On paper I lost money on every one but in my mind I profited. 

A pre-war Continental? You know, I never cared for these, I just don't care for that style, but I certainly understand the appeal. There is a price point where I would say "go for it" in a heartbeat. This could be a cheap entry ticket into "the club" as long as you can live with it being a driver (and I sure could.) Looking at those CL ads, though, gives me pause. At some point money matters. 

18 Months ago I entered the world of open CCCA Classic cars. I bought an old restoration of a '37 Cadillac 70 Series Fleetwood Convertible Sedan.  It neither ran nor drove,  had a later replacement engine and smelled like mouse. I have rectified all of that and thoroughly enjoyed driving it with the top down to work every day in the month of August. Everyone who sees it thinks it's a "perfectly" restored car. I'm just having fun with it. The car is for sale and when it goes I'll buy something else and have fun with that car too. Did I make money? No, not a dime. Am I having fun? Tons. And isn't that what this is supposed to be about? I'm betting you already know I emphatically vote yes on the '42 Continental. 

• Like 2

Used to be the 40, 41 commanded more than the later cars but recent prices I have seen seem to reflect that a lot less.

The coupe Steve posted in the CL ads looks really nice to me for the money.  Might be the original V12 as he doesn't reference a repower. 

Another forum member here recently sold a fully restored coupe that looked to be outstanding in the 20s.  

I will say 42 is a little unusual, plenty of forum members here have had one of these which might be helpful if you do bring it home.

While $12k sounds like too much, the chrome plating done may be worth that alone. There's still plenty of plating left to do, tho. Throw in the fact that it's a convertible, and rust-free at that, and then the price doesn't sound too bad. As mentioned, a decent '42 convertible is for sale for around $35k. The '41 above appears to be complete also, but you still have a huge plating bill waiting on you.

Again, it's a hobby. If you enjoy putting one together and puttering around with it, go for it.

Did I mention, it's a hobby? If you're not involved in old cars as a hobby and if making money on the project is your first priority, then this car is not for you. I, for one, wish I had the space and time for this one. I've got a lot of miles behind the wheel of our '42 coupe, and they are nice driving cars. I also have a '40 Zephyr, and it's a LOT of fun to drive.

• Like 3

West all good points.  At some point though, "buy the best xxx you can afford, you will be better off in the long run" intersects with the very valid point of "a hobby shouldn't revolve around financial return" layer on the chrome and  "oh it's a 42, and open" and you have a conversation worth having.  I think that is the question here, not just number crunching.

As an owner and someone who has restoration experience your's and others viewpoints are interesting.  Some very smart folks I have spoken with on these cars would not recomend them but I am still drawn to them, following with interest.

Personally I don't think market will bear the $12k, but if OP wants it and they come to terms a 3, 4k delta may not matter long term.

I  think/hope OP is enjoying thread and taking, filtering advice and opinions as appropriate for him.

Constructive. Interesting debate, love it!! 👍👍

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Im a sucker and my philosophy is 'they should all be saved'. I have seen cars worse than this and thought, all it needs is little this and a little that and it can be a decent car. This one does look really nice, and I surmise all it really needs is a pile of money thrown at it. If all of the little pieces are there and servicable then good. It doesnt have to be restored to 'pebble beach' spec's. Having said that if I had another project car in pieces I dont think I would buy another (wait a minute, I kinda did!).

Update: My Mechanic friend and I went through the car more and the parts.

1. This is not a parts car. Parts are not the issue. It just needs to be put back together. The trim, small pieces, handles have been chrome or regold.

2021-10-21-08-27-47.jpg2021-10-21-08-27-50.jpg2021-10-21-08-28-00.jpg2021-10-21-08-28-08.jpg

2. Many of the larger parts are powder coated.

2021-10-21-08-26-29.jpg2021-10-21-08-12-49.jpg2021-10-21-08-22-28.jpg2021-10-21-08-20-52.jpg2021-10-21-08-13-02.jpg

3. Other pieces that look to be missing are in the boxes. It has two radios. Windshield and one side window will need to be replaced. Flat glass. All seats and door panels there for patterns. Would need to find someone that makes the tops without an old one for pattern.

2021-10-21-08-12-54.jpg2021-10-21-08-25-18.jpg2021-10-21-08-29-39.jpg2021-10-21-08-30-16.jpg2021-10-21-08-20-52.jpgw3nDT2Nd]2021-10-21-08-13-11.jpg[/url]2021-10-21-08-12-57.jpg2021-10-21-08-12-52.jpg

Extra v12 block, 3 heads, crank, three steering columns and 2 steering boxes. 2 extra generators,

Whether this car is for me is still open. The only trim piece that would need to be found is the left front headlight bezel. It is damaged from the dent. Not sure if the top pieces are there. Not sure what I should be looking for.

Ok, well the pics of tubbed parts say a lot, so meticulously sorted, etc.  Speaks to prior owner's attention to detail.

If key stuff has gone missing you know he did not lose it.  The body is sound?  

Admittedly looking more promising, I would ask if anything might be in a garage or basement, etc.  Even related literature, etc. Which helps her clean out and could be very valuable to you if you move on it.

• Like 3

Def enticing. Looks well organized, a shame its a puzzle though. A few labels here and there may have been helpful. To me looks like its worth the effort for a restore. Project cars are typically hard to get rid of, I would think even more so with one of this caliber. I would make a fair offer but nothing outrageous. 

This is a rust free car. Under body has been powder coated. Rear end rebuilt. I have included a few more pics. There where two long bars, you can see in the bottom of one picture, with brackets connected. Do not know if those are the bows. I could not find the head piece if it had one. There are two boxes of literature about this and other Lincolns.  Hand written notes about certain screws. She will give me everything that deals with the car. Spare tire holder and tire in trunk. It is painted.

2021-10-19-13-18-32.jpg

2021-10-19-13-18-23.jpg2021-10-19-13-19-22.jpg2021-10-19_13.25.49.jpg

23 hours ago, lelshaddai said:

If I do not purchase it it is going to auction.

I like these cars.

An auction might find its true worth.

Or, could be a steal.

22 hours ago, alsancle said:

On one hand I like to see widows do well in a deal

If you are interested in it, I would come up with a price that you are comfortable with and make her an offer.  To let it go to auction could be good or bad, could get it for a bargain price, or two fools could bid it up past the asking price now!   Looks like it is fairly complete and in great shape. 

If it were closer to me I would be making an offer and bringing it home.  Looks like a fun project and one that would look good going down the road when finished! 

Buy the damn thing,everybody wants to jump and say it’s a parts car,if you don’t save it it just may become a parts car and that would be a shame,everybody talks about cost probably because there financially smarter than me,but if you like it buy it either put it together and get it running or do a concourse restoration,it’s just a labor of love like all others,just make the decision load it up or walk away,just my two cents worth

It sounds like the OP is going to handle the majority of the re assembly. It is a big project, but at least all the disassembled parts are nice and clean, re-chromed and or plated. That sure beats taking apart a rusted, greasy mess, or a car that had all the parts thrown haphazardly into the rear seat. If you have the time and space it could be a good way to spend a few years. I think that I've only got one big project left in me, and that might be after the house. Believe it or not, back in the early 1990s, I was at one of my local PIck and Pull lots and there was a mid or late 30's Packard limousine offered for sale. It had been sitting for years was terribly weathered, but was straight and complete. The interior looked like a cotton bomb had gone off inside. I thought that something like this could be a great long term project. Of course I was only in my 40's back then! This has been as interesting thread. Best of luck with your decision. 

An interesting thread would be for each of us to list how many complete and partial restorations we have been involved in and how long it took.  The subject car of this thread is a 10 year project, at least.   Tackling one of these in a lifetime would be above the average.    We tend to fixate on the work that has been done already,  forgetting that a tracking missing pieces could overwhelm that advantage quickly.

Would you make this car your life's work?   Would you be willing to commit to thousands of hours?  Thousands of dollars?

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Anytime a car has been disassembled the question is always "Is it complete?"  

The seller always says "100% of the parts are there" 

In fact there is ALWAYS one thing missing. The INSTRUCTION SHEET!     

If you disassemble a car then you know how it goes back together.  In a disassembled project, the knowledge for reassembly is always lost. 

Now, if you know that particular type of car then you are bringing the critical missing component, (that cannot be bought at a swap meet) and reassembly will be easy. 

If you are unfamiliar with that type of car (or instructions are not common - 57 Chevy, 65 Mustang) then it becomes not a car, but a complex puzzle. But hey, people do puzzles for fun too. 

Just arrived in my yard is a 1960 Edsel six cylinder 2 dr sedan that was dismantled about like this Continental. (a worthless car)

I encouraged my friend to buy it and bring it over, because I know 1960 Fords/Edsels like the back of my hand. Coffee cans full of bolts, I can pretty much identify each one by sight. It IS turning out to be a fun puzzle of reassembly, and that is MY hobby. 🙂 

But even the $2000 or so of new parts needed to make it transportationable again will never be recovered. 

FYI - I did not see the wiring harnesses in the Continental parts. They are available but expensive. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

An interesting thread would be for each of us to list how many complete and partial restorations we have been involved in and how long it took.  The subject car of this thread is a 10 year project, at least.   Tackling one of these in a lifetime would be above the average.    We tend to fixate on the work that has been done already,  forgetting that a tracking missing pieces could overwhelm that advantage quickly.

Would you make this car your life's work?   Would you be willing to commit to thousands of hours?  Thousands of dollars?

I bought my tenth anniv. T/A in similar but worst condition. Similar in that it had been all taken apart, worst in that none of the small parts had been restored and who knows where all of the misc fasteners are. I got about 3 cars worth of parts though. Like MMan said about the edsel, I pretty much know most of the stuff on a firebird by touch by now so that helps.  All of the parts 'were there' when I bought it. Only the carb was wrong (long and expensive search to find the right one), brackets for motor gone, wrong this wrong that, misc things to track down to make things 'numbers correct'.  I do all of my own work, motor notwithstanding. I have been at it for about 3 years now and hope to finish this spring enough to get it on the road. And a T/A is a pretty simple car, especially compared to this Lincoln. 

• Like 1

12k is too much cash talks, I would have taken 7-9k cash in an envelope and see if they would take it. Why all this back and forth? Just looking at the boxes of parts it was meticulous and I would have offered $7k and see what they say. (Up from my previous of $5k)

remember in the eyes of the family this is probably a junk car and boxes of parts taking up space that was purchased forty years ago and money long spent.

for those worried about a widow getting ripped off the price is a bit high and they know that. 

My primary concern would be the storage in the elements, who would store an open disassembled car like that?

• Like 1

After A long thread of information and responses and great contributions I have decided to let this car go to auction. After discussing things more with my wife we think the resources would best to finishing up the 53 which is still going to take me a couple of years. I have my 62 Volvo and 51 Studebaker to enjoy and I really don’t need more projects. It may be worth it but in the end it’s just a car and there’s others that will show up later. I have really appreciated all of the conversation and input. You guys are really good at what you do. I appreciate these forums and this one is as good as the Studebaker forum that I’m normally on.

One consolation was she had a really nice 5 x 9’ cargo trailer that was in great shape that she sold me. I pick it up over the weekend.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I suppose Bob was joking, a large block of cement got dropped on the grill center piece. But it was covered by a blanket so got bent but not scratched.

1942 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet | S57 | Monterey 2019

Thank you! Glad some one else shares the same degree of vision. Bent is bent, Ray Charles could tell you that if still around.  

Bob 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lelshaddai said:

After A long thread of information and responses and great contributions I have decided to let this car go to auction.

I do hope it ends up with someone who will take the time to restore it.  '42 Continentals are rare as it is, and it should be saved.  Agree with the others about the lack of reliability and refinement of the original engine, but for a vintage vehicle that will probably receive little regular usage, it is worth going back to original.

Craig