1942 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet.......Thoughts?

lelshaddai

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1942 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet #96 of 125 built that year. It has a 46 grille and rebuilt V12. It is complete. It does not have rust. Stainless and chrome trim are all there. Chrome pieces have been rechromed. It has 20 footer paint.  No idea on value..... thoughts?

2021-10-19-13-12-44.jpg
2021-10-19-13-13-07.jpg2021-10-19-13-13-07.jpg2021-10-19-13-10-47.jpg2021-10-19-13-10-56.jpg2021-10-19-13-11-44.jpg2021-10-19-13-16-49.jpg2021-10-19-13-17-51.jpg2021-10-19-13-24-08.jpg2021-10-19-13-12-17.jpg
2021-10-19_13.25.42.jpg2021-10-19-13-12-38.jpg

2021-10-19-13-12-12.jpg

These are nice cars, but they're wildly expensive to restore and make no mistake, you'll be starting from scratch with that car. I doubt that "rebuilt" engine counts as rebuilt anymore, seeing as it has been stored open outdoors. In fact, none of the previously restored parts are going to be usable if it has been outside for any length of time, so none of that "already done" work will be to your advantage. There's no point in doing a car like that half way, so you may as well plan on a full restoration. Unfortunately, it will probably cost $200,000+ to turn it into a decent $60,000 car. Heck, the interior fittings are gold plated on the '42s, so lord knows what that will cost...

I understand that it's tempting, but that car will break you one dollar at a time.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I totally agree with Matt. No telling how much neglect has been at play there. For example, those open ports into the water jackets on each cylinder head would definitely appeal to all kinds of small animals, insects, scorpions, spiders, etc. You can imagine webs and acorns scattered throughout the engine. No way I would try to start it without a total dismantling and ultimately re-doing everything. It will be a fabulous car, after someone invests a massive fortune it in...along with several years of time and labor. 

• Like 1

Good to know on the grille. Was told it was 46. The engine had three covers (tarps)on it and the rest of the car was covered. I pulled it off for the pictures. The car was purchased in 1983 by current owner(passed) Guess guy was big Continental guy, John Malta. The car is documented to have been owned by the fan dancer, Sally Rand.

What everybody else said- and I like these cars too- unless there is $100k in cash in one of those plastic tubs that go with the car, walk away. Then, take your significant other out to a ridiculously expensive dinner and celebrate- you've just come into a ton of money :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

John Malta was chief judge for LCOC in the 1990's when I was a member.  One wonders why he didn't complete this restoration.   Frankly, if you are taken with the 1942-'48 Lincoln Continental styling, there are literally dozens of nice restored examples available at all times, both coupes and cabriolets.  The only thing that sets the 1942 model apart is the fine horizontal bar front grille and some other details.   Do yourself a favor, seek out the best example you can find for the money.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, lelshaddai said:

Good to know on the grille. Was told it was 46. The engine had three covers (tarps)on it and the rest of the car was covered. I pulled it off for the pictures. The car was purchased in 1983 by current owner(passed) Guess guy was big Continental guy, John Malta. The car is documented to have been owned by the fan dancer, Sally Rand.

Well take it from a guy who rescued his grandfathers 48 Lincoln 17 years after he sold it (I found it and bought it back). These cars are expensive with the original v12. Luckily I have a flathead Mercury v8 in mine which was put in during the 50s. The v12 is a horrific engine.

the trim parts on these are very expensive and there are so many. Lots of the parts dealers think they have gold. Yet these have an ever fading fan base and dying interest. 75% of the people I knew a decade ago who liked these and were in our club are dead. 

what I did was convert mine to 12 volt, put in new wiring and fuse box and an alternator and it’s great! It was not original anyway but I love it and it’s story. I would pay no more than 3-5k for your example. Did I mention parts are expensive and impossible to come by? 

D4395F77-1D26-401E-96D1-16D045CE543C.jpeg

1AA35195-2A41-4976-BF2D-501042EE101D.jpeg

326EF8D2-A7AA-4BD7-B4DF-6F14B1362EB0.jpeg

01F5E421-A3C4-404C-BBA5-18C55B08C27E.jpeg

Edited by MarkV (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Well... it looks like a nice project for the do-it-yourselfer. And the '42s are pretty handsome looking cars.

The original interior trim is NOT gold plated. I believe it was anodized gold, which was not a very good looking finish. Today, many restorers plate the trim with real gold, but that is totally unnecessary. When we restored our car, we plated with brass, and clearcoated over it, and it looks terrific.

Hopefully that center grille vertical trim bar is with the car, or perhaps that's what the seller was talking about when he said '46 grille. This car is worth quite a bit of money just in the '42-only parts. Bumpers are nearly impossible to find.

Obviously, as in almost EVERY car, it will cost more to restore than it's worth... even if you do the work yourself.  That really goes without saying. This is a hobby, though, and this 1942 Lincoln is certainly a worthy candidate for the person that wants to do their own work. Looks like a rust-free example, which is not usually the case for these cars.

• Like 3

On 10/20/2021 at 9:59 AM, dalef62 said:

I'm with West on this one, if the price is right and you can do a lot of the work yourself, jump in and have fun....

Dale's point is good:  It's a hobby, and we don't always

need to recoup our cost.  But for the original poster's case,

I must strongly disagree that this is the right car for him now.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, lelshaddai said:

Yes, My current cars are a bit cheaper to restore. I also have a 53 Studebaker to to put back together

It sounds like you already have a project or more.

It would not be sensible to take on another one at 

this time!  Finish what you have.  There will always be

other cars to entice you when all your other work is done.

Too many times, people buy cars, take them apart,

and never get around to completing them.  That does

the cars no good.  We are not hoarders;  there's no need

to have a garage full of pieces and "some day" projects.

My thoughts:  You'll save money and feel better if you

skip this one, my friend.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Question for the restoration experts: Using this car as an example, but put any other in it's place in the approximate same condition, Is it feasible to just put everything back together & back on the car, make it roadworthy, maybe have a little fun with it & then flip it? A couple things to consider: MOST if not ALL the work is done by the buyer, and if the answer to my question is yes, then would a guy make a little money on it or at least break even except for labor?

There is no rule that says you have to complete it to enjoy owning it. If it makes your heart palpitate and you worry someone is going to get it before you just buy it. I have owned a lot of cars in similar condition, kept them, learned their intricacies, and sold them a couple of years later. No regrets what soever. Even if you just organize an clean what is there it can be quite satisfying.

It seems I frequently mention or think about dogma in the old car hobby. Internalize the word and how you see it in this instance. Don't fall for it.

For whatever time you see fit you will have all the rights and privileges of a Lincoln Continental owner. If you choose a $100 per year budget that can work just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this car would be great for a Lincoln guy looking for parts for a better project already in the works.  If you could buy it, upgrade your chrome and maybe address some other needs and move it along or part out what you do not need you might come out ok.

It is interesting this belonged to someone who was known in Lincoln circles.  Some subassemblies etc. Might be really good and those plastic tubs could yield some  treasures but when a car sits in the elements long enough to begin to become one with the ground underneath labor it should give some pause. 

I think it was John Meerness who said more than once he has retrieved or looked at previous national show winners that had deteriorated to needing full restorations.  Stored in driveways or carports, etc.  Who knows what personal situations cause that but it does happen more than one might think.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I can agree with all of the responses, either "for" or "against" purchase, because we are all so different as far as age and available wealth.

This car would look like a money pit to those who are very well funded.

However, to a somewhat younger, very motivated person that feels he will never be able to afford a finished, nice riding big heavy "rich guys car", this car gives that person what seems like "his only chance to ever own one".

Lots of fun could be had with the OP's Studebaker, but the sirens call of a big heavyweight open "classic" sure seems tempting when you have the skills, youth and stamina, but can't afford to buy a finished one.

At my age now, and being at estate sales for decades, I now see only broken dreams with so many unfinished cars like this flooding the hobby.  Even small steps on my unfinished cars seem so much more impossible now even though they are not, when I finally force myself do them.  20 years ago I would have known that this Lincoln is an easy save. Now, it's just another big mountain to climb and my sunsets are very limited. 

• Like 11

If you like it and it fits your wallet Go for it!  Make it a driver and run the wheels off it.. Many on these boards seem to think every antique vehicle should be flawlessly restored to the best money can buy but that is not the case..

Give it what it needs to be safe & drivable reassemble what has been taken off and and run the thing. Life is to short to worry every nut, bolt and screw being exact.

You can pretty much bet your not going to run into another one at your local 7-11.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This car isn't anywhere close to "just bolt it back together and go." It will need everything mechanical rebuilt just to be roadworthy, and if you haven't priced rebuilding a V12, I will tell you its a 5-digit number with no way to "just do it cheap." There's no interior and this isn't exactly the kind of car where you can just throw a blanket over the seats and call it done. And am I the only one who noticed the left front fender is caved in? On the plus side, it's a desert car so metal replacement should be minimal and I don't believe these cars used much wood, so that's good. But it's a 1942, built for only three months and with all kinds of unique features and unobtainium parts. Maybe it's complete, maybe it's not. No way to know until you're bolting it back together and something's missing.

The path between where that car is now and "just make it a beater" is 85% as expensive as making it a quality car.

• Like 1

A good psychologist will get $500-$600 per hour. One could easily get 10 hours of good soothing mental health time from that car. Probably more link a hundred or two hours if you play it right.

About ten years ago I had a '53 Jaguar in my garage when the Buick Club chapter stopped by. One member gave a glance to the Jaguar and said "When do you think you will ever get that done?" "Never". I didn't I had paid $4,000 for it, kept it three years, and sold it for $6200. No big money, actually 3 years of cigarette money for a smoker. I had accrued a bunch of parts during ownership and got another $3000 for them on Ebay. Enjoyed every minute.

Too bad you can't line up the advice givers and look them over- Very serious, serious, serious, concentrated, meticulous, Oh this one- what was that famous line from Clark Gable.

Could you PM me the contact information. Maybe I can resolve it.

Another detail of the 1942 and 1946-early 1947 H-Series V-12:  those were bored another 1/16 to a 305ci displacement.   Apparently as less-than-stellar the engine was as a 292 ci V-12, these were even worse, the engine was returned to the 292 ci bore for the remainder of the 1947 and 1948.   There were and are very good reasons why the H-Series V-12 engines were replaced when these cars were were popular in the used car market. 

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I didn't I had paid $4,000 for it, kept it three years, and sold it for $6200. No big money, actually 3 years of cigarette money for a smoker.

A pack of cigarettes must still be cheap there!  3 years for a pack-a-day smoker in Alberta, Canada amounts to $14,092.65!!

http://www.smoke-free.ca/SUAP/2020/taxrates.pdf

Craig

Two important questions; first, how much?  Second, "Who's going to do the majority of the work?" Taking it to a restoration shop will be incredibly expensive, they would have performed a systematic dis assembly. Reassembling this car will be a huge task, but not impossible. 

I know that nobody wants to disclose the price because they are afraid that someone else will swoop in and scoop it up. But if we know how much the seller wants, someone here might be interested, or know someone that might be.

My attitude towards old cars is probably at odds with many on this forum, but my intention is not to be disrespectful of anyone orientations. I believe that many cars can be rescued, repaired, maintained and preserved. Even by the average hobbyist. You've got to have the motivation, enthusiasm, a little spare money, and the time. Something that we had more of in our youth. ( Except for the money!) The cars don't need to be perfect or even "finished." Make it safe and usable, improve it as much as you can afford and wish to. Let the next owner take it to the next level. I don't endorse shoddy bodges, or workmanship. Especially when it comes to safety. But a car doesn't really need show paint, new chrome or fancy upholstery to be enjoyed and more importantly "saved." I'm not advocating for the rat rod or patina mentality, which has become a  parody of what they were originally.

I'm going to be 67 years old next month and like most of you have been messing with cars and motorcycles since before I could drive. I've been producing my own blog for eight years. This hobby will not attract more young people if we only empathize perfection. I'll be honest, no old car is worth big bucks to me. For Fifty grand I'm buying a new Mustang GT convertible, or a nice late model Aston Martin!

Shout out to Flat top, I've got a '51 Mark VII that I'm working on right now. It's a local, complete, intact, one owner car that I bought from the estate. It was last registered thirty years ago. Daily driven until then. Oh, it's a "bit" weathered. The owner and his family were British car fans and he had quite a few. Bucket seats and a four speed are what attracted me to it. The house had been sold and it, and a parts car had to go, they would have been scrapped if there were no takers. I got the car for 900 bucks, had to leave the included parts car behind, a shame since it had a synchro four speed box, but I have too many cars already. 

Sorry for the overly long reply. That's why I started my own blog, I like to talk!

• Like 7

Unless I am way off the mark on Jag parts prices, that 4 speed box was worth more than you paid for the whole thing. I would have rented a storage space for a month and done a thorough salvage of the parts car. Any time I have been involved with old jag's, parts have been close to gold in price.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I will give as much info I have. She is asking 12000 or OBO. If I do not purchase it it is going to auction. I think she is relying on the fact that there was a writeup in the Lincoln magazine in the 80's that the car was owned by Sally Rand. It does appear in the pics in far worst shape than it is. The interior is laid in the car. Yes it needs to be recovered. All, as far as I can tell, all the stainless and chrome is in the boxes. I have purchased much worse than this and restored them. I am not into concourse anymore. As with my Studebaker and Volvo I am after drivers and just enjoy the process and driving them. I am well aware of cost verses resale. I can say that there has been only one truck/car I had that I could not sale for more than the material costs I had in it.(not my labor of course) I do the work myself. I am not into modifieds anymore. Too much skill needed. I think the car is rather complete. I have purchased cars and the expense is when they are not complete and need the pieces. (my 51 Stude is an example of that) Thought is was a great deal until the missing pieces added up. Everything stacked in a car does not make it a parts car. As far as I can tell it will need the mechanicals worked on, flat glass replaced, tires, new interior, top and engine work. I would make it a driver. I do have a nice Studebaker 289 and auto I could transplant...just a thought. I am not bound and determined to purchase the car. I just like different. I have restored Metropolitans, Plymouths, Studebakers Orphans. One person is correct. I do not need another project. I have the 53. However I do not think , in my opinion it will be as expensive of a restore as appears since the parts are there. He bought the car running and complete in 83. Yes he disassembled it. That is why the chrome is all rechromed. He also rebuilt the trans and rear axle. I think 12000 is too much and do not know what she would land on. She seemed flexible to a point. That is a much higher starting point that I would like to be at.

1 hour ago, lelshaddai said:

I will give as much info I have. She is asking 12000 or OBO. If I do not purchase it it is going to auction. I think she is relying on the fact that there was a writeup in the Lincoln magazine in the 80's that the car was owned by Sally Rand. It does appear in the pics in far worst shape than it is. The interior is laid in the car. Yes it needs to be recovered. All, as far as I can tell, all the stainless and chrome is in the boxes. I have purchased much worse than this and restored them. I am not into concourse anymore. As with my Studebaker and Volvo I am after drivers and just enjoy the process and driving them. I am well aware of cost verses resale. I can say that there has been only one truck/car I had that I could not sale for more than the material costs I had in it.(not my labor of course) I do the work myself. I am not into modifieds anymore. Too much skill needed. I think the car is rather complete. I have purchased cars and the expense is when they are not complete and need the pieces. (my 51 Stude is an example of that) Thought is was a great deal until the missing pieces added up. Everything stacked in a car does not make it a parts car. As far as I can tell it will need the mechanicals worked on, flat glass replaced, tires, new interior, top and engine work. I would make it a driver. I do have a nice Studebaker 289 and auto I could transplant...just a thought. I am not bound and determined to purchase the car. I just like different. I have restored Metropolitans, Plymouths, Studebakers Orphans. One person is correct. I do not need another project. I have the 53. However I do not think , in my opinion it will be as expensive of a restore as appears since the parts are there. He bought the car running and complete in 83. Yes he disassembled it. That is why the chrome is all rechromed. He also rebuilt the trans and rear axle. I think 12000 is too much and do not know what she would land on. She seemed flexible to a point. That is a much higher starting point that I would like to be at.

Tell her $7k cash

who is sally rand? She certainly isn’t Frank Sinatra! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarkV said:

Tell her $7k cash

who is sally rand? She certainly isn’t Frank Sinatra! 

She was an actress and best known for dancing on stage with large ornate fans while wearing very little clothing.  

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing all that info, I'm sure that it is helpful to anyone seriously interested in the car. I suppose that it is a breach of decorum to ask the OP about the price, but it doesn't appear that he is really going to buy it. But the price is important to know. for this discussion.  !,200 bucks, incredible deal, 12,000 bucks, let's give this some thought!  I can't just drop 12,000 bucks at the drop of a hat, but I guess there are some out there that can.

Yes, it was a shame to let the parts car go to the scrapper, but the car I bought is ugly enough, and I can only push the Wife so far. She has been pretty cool with my activities, and later even asked why I didn't take the parts car. She wouldn't be saying that when the tow dropped off the parts car in the driveway! I used to part out early Datsun Zs, I know how much work that is. 

My Mark was advertised on CL for over a month with no takers. His three Sons were running the sale and they shared stories about growing up with the car. Really nice guys. There were a lot of desirable parts offered in the initial package. A set of Tri Bar headlamps, a complete original tool kit, some spare parts, and my car has been fitted with an XK120 head with dual exhaust. The head is still on then car, but I told him to keep the lights, tools and spare parts, and made my bottom line offer. 

I apologize if it seems that I'm highjacking the thread. I dislike one line comments and emojis, I like having a conversation.

Edited by Rivguy
misspelling (see edit history)

20 hours ago, lelshaddai said:

No idea on value..... thoughts?

$12,000 is pretty stiff for that car.  If you have the 12 in your hand to buy it and, say, another $5000 on hand to get things rolling the best thing you can do is go to the bank and take $10,000 to add to the pot with something like a 3 year loan. Then you can buy a nice one, there are some out there. Get a 10 hour a week part time job and dedicate that income to the car, same amount of time or less that the car would consume. Drive your nice, finished car to the part time job and keep smiling. Do the math and it's a wash. Except you will know the quality of the finished job. How the restoration would come out would just be assumptions.

Let's say you have the 12 plus the 5 to buy the car and get the job launched. That 17 can get you an awful lot better car.

On the "do as I say, not as I do" side, I bought this coupe for $600 and sweat bullets for about 3 weeks deciding whether or not to keep it. Ended up selling the pieces in bits for $4.000 shipped all around the world. Spent the money on my Buick.

011.JPG.533f12dc7d7923974b1a508ea7cddebb.JPG