1/4 Turn past snug, AND NO MORE!

At least it looks like you can get to it.  Hammer & chisel time.  Some of the filters are so buried between stuff they are almost impossible to get to.  

That is like drain plugs and my experience.  The oil jockeys have tightened the drain plug so tight so many times on my Silverado truck that they have stripped out the drain plug three times.  After putting on a new oil pan, I have finally given up and now change my oil my self again.  I use full synthetic from Costco for $2.75/quart.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

At least it looks like you can get to it.  Hammer & chisel time.  Some of the filters are so buried between stuff they are almost impossible to get to. 

That was my first thought when I saw the picture! A car I bought some years back had one that took me a couple hours to get off. After I crushed it, and ripped it to shreds, I bent a steel rod to arc around some framework in the way, and was able to gouge into the (used to be inside!) base and force it to turn by hammering on what amounted to a two foot long chisel.

I can be a stubborn SOB!

That photo made me chuckle as I've been there and done that. If possible I would fabricate a spanner wrench with two pins that would fit into two of the hole in the base. 

You didn't say but I hope you got it off. 

I was changing the oil on my Dad's 74 Dodge Dart and had the same struggle getting the filter off! The shop he had been using must have used a wrench on it! I got it off alright, but failed to notice that I had ripped the rubber gasket off the filter in the process. When I put the new filter on I hand tightened it. filled the crankcase and started it up! Oil sprayed everywhere with the double gasket configuration. From then on. I reach up inside to make certain the gasket hasn't been left behind!

• Like 2

Agreed,jimy.In my 53 years of changing oil and filters,that's the way I do it.Never had one to leak and I take it off by hand.I guess these oil changing places are afraid something will go wrong and they will be liable for it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:35 PM, Ron of Chicago said:

Like others, been there done that. I've always used this style. It lets you get up close to the base and less chance of collapsing the filter.  image.png.b7fea92d425f27c92720d177f92ca774.png

on some engines there's not room and you have to use a strap style - much easier to damage the filter housing

Run an oily finger around the gasket and hand crank it down, any doubt maybe 1/8 turn with filter tool of your choice.  Trick with drain plugs is never re use any washer and carefully tighten using less is more approach.

I did a lot of lube and tire work as a kid, never had any come backs.  The boss did speak to me once about lubing the filter gasket as described above - "waste of time kid, just screw it on and keep moving"... 😁

I still take that small extra step and believe it ultimately helps with removal as well.

• Like 5

My new at the time Suzuki DL1000 motorcycle equipped with a spin on filter required specific tightening well beyond just hand tight. The procedure was spelled out in the owners manual on how to attain the desired level of snug. That generated all kinds of questions and the very familiar “I’ve never heard of that before” response among owners.  The filter gasket was designed to fit perfectly with the amount of pressure required in the manual.  Reason was to ensure no oil would drip from the filter and get on the rear tire.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

The boss did speak to me once about lubing the filter gasket as described above - "waste of time kid, just screw it on and keep moving"... 

I still take that small extra step and believe it ultimately helps with removal as well.

Hm. Every spin-on oil filter I've ever changed in past 50 years specified to lube the gasket before installing. Reckon the manufacturers are on to something?

Now cartridge filters are a different animal. One of the best things ever invented was a spin-on adapter for those! Yeah, I've had a couple of "incidents" with cartridge filter square-cut gaskets...

After having a partial engine failure due to a filter housing bypass valve sticking open and letting unfiltered oil circulate thru the engine, I started spraying a little brake cleaner on the valve and making sure it operated freely. Granted that engine wasn't in the best condition to start, but that partially stuck bypass valve hastened its demise.

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Run an oily finger around the gasket and hand crank it down, any doubt maybe 1/8 turn with filter tool of your choice.  Trick with drain plugs is never re use any washer and carefully tighten using less is more approach.

I did a lot of lube and tire work as a kid, never had any come backs.  The boss did speak to me once about lubing the filter gasket as described above - "waste of time kid, just screw it on and keep moving"... 😁

Next questtion, Fiber or copper gaskets in the drain plugs?

Yes indeed everything that Gasket!

Just be sure not to wipe your eyes or pick your nose after.

Terry

• Haha 1

I was a tire-buster mechanic-wanna-be for years as a kid, and must have done several hundred oil changes. I always wipe a bit of oil on that gasket, and will continue to do so. Is it necessary? I don't know for sure, but I've not had a comeback for leaks, so I'll just persevere on course. 

When my Dad allowed me to work with him in his garage on antique or modern cars, he spent a LOT of time teaching me to get that "feel" for "tight enough," on different applications. He would have me snug something up, and then have me go a little further...until he said, "Stop!" Then he would take over the tool and test the "feel" for himself. If I didn't have it tight enough, he would back it off completely and have me try again, until I got it the way he was satisfied with. He didn't own a torque wrench, but often told me he wished he did, and that it was the right way to do things. But Dad had to make do with the tools he could afford. 

Today I think that specific bit of training may have been among the best things Dad ever taught me in the garage. 

• Like 4

All the spin on filters I have used have the specific tightening instructions on the label. I only use AC filters so maybe it is only on that brand. I tighten the filter to where the gasket just touches and then the filter instruction turns.

Dave

6 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

@lump,

We learned a lot while holding the G^* D@#$% light still, right! 😁😁

Good to know I'm not the only one who ever heard that!😺

What was worse was my dad expecting me to be a mind reader and know exactly what he was preparing to do and to have the right tool ready to hand him.🤨