opions wanted - shay reproduction car

steven 123

17 minutes ago, steven 123 said:

what does everyone think about a shay reproduction car....is it considered a collectible or a replica maybe a just a fun toy..... i am just curious and have not formed any ideas yet

I will say that to me, they are one of the closest to a Model A Ford (looking) replica as it gets. I have not seen any recent replicas to compare them with.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, you know what they say about opinions? Like  * * * * * $, everybody has one.

My feeling always was that they were an okay toy. NOT in any way a real anything, antique or otherwise. Most people see them in a parade, or going down the street, don't know the difference, and maybe that is okay. However, sometimes, people have them, or buy one, and still don't know the difference! That does hurt someone. And, again maybe, that education might be worth the cost.

In the Horseless Carriage Club part of the hobby, we have seen way too many people pay way too much for the "replica" Curved Dash Oldsmobiles that were manufactured by a dozen different companies back in the 1950s and 1960s. Again, too many people not knowing the difference paid too much for something only to find out it doesn't qualify for what they wanted it for!

As for the Shay 'model As', some local model A Ford clubs do allow them to become members and participate in local events. However, many bigger and better events will not allow them beyond being any modern transportation car.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 4

They were a prodution car and are old enough for AACA.  But I had one once and never again.

Rode like a truck, (Pinto),  Quality was awful, but looked cool to the general public.   Only good thing was that I doubled my money by owning it. (2006)

1611777863_ShayF.jpg.d95617ecea45e15003a42e180640f4a3.jpg

• Like 3

I have owned and driven one alot... if you are tall (over 6 ft, or heavy, over 200 lbs).... you will feel very uncomfortable in the drivers seat... and the fiberglass body, does not feel as solid and long lasting as real steel.... the engine and running gear are easy to drive and easy to get parts for... and very reliable

But the replica will NOT give you the wonderful feeling of stepping back in time.. to a much slower pace of life... which is one of the major pleasures of driving a Real vintage car...

• Like 3

No personal experience, but they are not really all that bad looking. And like was mentioned they are actually 'antique' cars now! I like the idea behind them to begin with. There was a guy in my town that bought one new as soon as he graduated from HS, I thought it was the coolest thing at the time. A neat old car that drove like a modern car (Restomod anyone?).  I suppose it depends on what your end game is? For about the same money you can get a Shay replica or a Ford Model A!

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to opions wanted - shay reproduction car
37 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

It's not appropriate vehicle to be judged by the AACA. No more so than Curved Dash Olds replicas from the 1950s.

Um, as noted above:

35c. Alfa Romeo 4R Zagato. 1966-1968 Avanti. 1986-1992 Camelot Fifty Seven, Camelot T-bird, Clenet, Duesenberg II, Duke. 1984 Excalibur, Series II. 1975 Glenn Pray-Auburn, Glenn Pray-Cord, Phillips Berlina, Shay-Model A, Shay- Thunderbird, Southeastern Cord, Zimmer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Back when the Shay was introduced, (Circa 1980) the local Ford dealer had one in the showroom for sale. I was tempted at the time. The original pricing I don’t recall. Seemed reasonable at the time though. After looking at a few examples through the years, the fit and finish seems to be somewhat lacking. In my opinion, a fun car for sure but nothing like having an original Model A. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Um, as noted above:

35c. Alfa Romeo 4R Zagato. 1966-1968 Avanti. 1986-1992 Camelot Fifty Seven, Camelot T-bird, Clenet, Duesenberg II, Duke. 1984 Excalibur, Series II. 1975 Glenn Pray-Auburn, Glenn Pray-Cord, Phillips Berlina, Shay-Model A, Shay- Thunderbird, Southeastern Cord, Zimmer

Frank, I do realize that it's eligible for AACA judging.  Even has it's own class. I simply disagree it should. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Saw them when they were new and the quality of the build was really poor, do not believe they ,may have improved with age. Everyone needs to fill their desire, easier to work on mechanically? easier to get parts for mechanically, maybe , but I am just a gezzer historian type and prefer vehicles that weren't made specifically to look like and represent something made 45 + years prior.  Kind of like wanting a gourmet meal and getting something made with fake eggs, fake sugar, etc. served on the finest china made out of paper and plastic . If you want the real thing pay the $ and buy the real thing,

• Like 3

On 8/11/2021 at 6:05 PM, steven 123 said:

what does everyone think about a shay reproduction car....is it considered a collectible or a replica maybe a just a fun toy..... i am just curious and have not formed any ideas yet

Like many other car makes, there is a Shay group - the Shay Owners Club International (SOCI).  Their website ( https://www.shaymodelaclub.com/) has a link to their forum and their old site ( http://www.shayhistory.com/) has a lot of information.  You might be better served asking questions there as you won’t find much Shay love here.  Do your research and judge the car for what it is, not what it isn’t and never was intended to be.  Then make up your own mind whether it meets your wants and needs.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I have a "real" A but think these would be ideal for someone with physical limitations.  As I understand it, auto transmission in all or most.

Nope, manual in most - in fact, automatic is kinda hard to find.

I had one for a short while. Meh, not for me. But I don't  get into the real Model A's either. As for the build quality it seemed to be on par with a real one that hadn't been modified  restored, or  rebuilt.

A friend of my grandfather who looked it over said at least the body won't rust off of in 5 years like they did before the war!

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

but I am just a gezzer historian type and prefer vehicles that weren't made specifically to look like and represent something made 45 + years prior.  . If you want the real thing pay the $ and buy the real thing,

I am too,  But, I found mine in a yard sale, bought it, replaced the computer module, cleaned it buffed it and sold it.  In my opinion,

the fiberglass body was to light to get it off full extention of the Pinto springs which made it ride like a truck.   Later in life I found

one that was a Shay Model A Pickup,  It had a steel reproduction Model A pickup bed and was painted pale yellow.  AWESOME!   

I couldn't buy it but I'm still friends with the owner long after he sold it to somebody else.  Out here in the country, every man     

Can anyone explain why this site re-arranges  my text?

deserves a Pickup Truck or two.  I'm back down to two with the sale of my 57 Ranchero.  Still have a stock 35 unrestored Ford

Pickup and a stock 1981 El Camino.   I would trade the El Camno for that yellow Shay Pickup.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added a question (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

...In my opinion,

the fiberglass body was to light to get it off full extention of the Pinto springs which made it ride like a truck...

One problem is the angle of the rear shocks - some owners have modified the mounts to change the angle, thus improving the ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

Didn't know that.  I have seen a few folks seeking Shays over the years. One person couldn't drive a standard and one had a physical limitation so both wanted AT cars.  

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Interesting. I've only seen three, so not a large segment of production, but they were all automatics with the Pinto floor shifter. Maybe a regional dealer ordering thing.

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Didn't know that.  I have seen a few folks seeking Shays over the years. One person couldn't drive a standard and one had a physical limitation so both wanted AT cars.

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Interesting. I've only seen three, so not a large segment of production, but they were all automatics with the Pinto floor shifter. Maybe a regional dealer ordering thing.

I suppose the scarcity of auto trans is relative.  AFAIK, there are no production records of manual vs auto - I've seen estimates of 4 or 5 to 1 but who knows?  The ones I've seen for sale are mostly manual.  Some owners have converted to auto, as well as souping-up engines, changing rear-ends, putting on more modern wheels/tires, replacing accessories with Model A reproductions (many of which fit with little or no modification), etc.  There are some Shay purists but authenticity doesn't seem to be as important as with other makes.  In fact, coming up with improvements has become something of a cottage industry among owners.  I think that's part of the attraction - the car is affordable and putting one's personal stamp on it is fairly cheap and easy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 7:40 PM, sunnybaba said:

I have owned and driven one alot... if you are tall (over 6 ft, or heavy, over 200 lbs).... you will feel very uncomfortable in the drivers seat... and the fiberglass body, does not feel as solid and long lasting as real steel.... the engine and running gear are easy to drive and easy to get parts for... and very reliable

But the replica will NOT give you the wonderful feeling of stepping back in time.. to a much slower pace of life... which is one of the major pleasures of driving a Real vintage car...

IMG_0157.JPGEver since Bucket of Bolts replied to my pic posting with  "Nice Barn Wrong Car" I've been thinking Model A like my uncle had, but at 240lbs, 6'3", with size 14 feet and all the residuals that come from being rear ended by a gravel hauling tractor trailer in a construction zone, I'm only good for about 20 minutes at the wheel of a real A, and that's not much of a drive. I've been thinking a Shay A would look better with the doors open and that tilt with wheel and  modern steering, an easier car to drive. I've been told that it takes some work but there is room to move the seat about 4" back and if that's true I can consider changing barn cars.

This is just a suggestion as I recently went through the same thing. I was 6'2" and 245lbs at the time. I had a model A 2 door sedan when we got married , fast foreword 47 years and I wanted another one. But come to find out they have shrunk in that time. I suggest you look into Chrysler vehicles from that period. Walter Chrysler was a big man built cars he could drive. My 30 DeSoto is larger than a Model A, has adjustable front seat and hydraulic brakes. 

I don't have the seat all the way back and I have plenty room. 

Good luck in your search. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I'm also a big tall guy and a former owner of a Shay Model A.   I rate it a D-.   Reason is that it;s really a Pinto with a poor reproduction of a Model A body on the Pinto chassis.   The firberglass body didn't weigh enough to have tha car ride within the spring range.  It rode in the top of the fully extended coil springs, giving it a ride similart ot a skate board.   Cute but not a fun to drive vehicle.   A nice one is closely  priced to a real Model A.

Shay curtian.jpg

Shay RF.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Added photos (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It would be best to drive both a Shay and a Model A so you can compare for yourself.

The Shay is 40 years old technically but most of the old geezers aren't going to recognize a 1980 anything unless they got it a a bargain price for themself.

I don't go to a lot of car events, but I sure enjoy my rides on the back roads of western New York alone.  Might be the best way to enjoy almost any car.  I see this was posted in August and you haven't shown the Shay you bought.  Maybe you are out driving one and too busy to solicit opinions anymore.

• Thanks 2

On 10/9/2021 at 12:46 PM, Digger914 said:

...I've been thinking a Shay A would look better with the doors open and that tilt with wheel and  modern steering, an easier car to drive. I've been told that it takes some work but there is room to move the seat about 4" back and if that's true I can consider changing barn cars.

Shays don't get much love from purists because "it's not a REAL Model A and not a REAL antique", although it's AACA eligible (factory built and 25 years old).  And it was never represented as anything other than a reproduction - says so right on the radiator badge.

Anyway, yes, the seat can be moved.  It mainly involves cutting out the partition behind the seat and moving it and the seat back.  The partition should be fiberglassed in the new position, or some use plywood.  It's obviously not a one-hour job but it's not beyond the skill of the average DIY home mechanic.  Quite a few owners have done it - you might find a car that's already had the surgery.  It's also possible to increase legroom by raising the seat a couple inches - a pretty easy job (see https://www.angelfire.com/modelshaytaz/shayriser.html).

Before making up your mind, you should talk to folks that actually own and drive Shays.  There's a pretty active club:

Shay Owners Club International

The SOCI forum:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/shayownersclubinternational/shay-owners-club-international-discussion-forum-f82899/?sid=575e4714040c60a4731f5734fddd026b

and the old club website that still has lots of info:

Shay History

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all who replied, greatly appreciated.

Saw an add for a Shay in Wisconsin less than a 3 hour drive away, but the add was old and the car was gone, the next closest one is a long way to go just to look and that's why the opinions of people my size that have owned and driven one mean more than the opinion of someone who wants to sell me one. Even with the Tahoe, 6 hours behind the wheel is the kind of drive that hurts,  towing a trailer makes it worse so a round trip any farther requires some additional motivation.

For me a real A is about as easy to get in and out of as a Chevy Chevet, almost OK in the summer, not so good with winter coats and boots, but also a car that I would never need to drive in the winter. Shay is one letter different than sham, it's not a real Model A,  but it looks enough like it to remind me of one and knowing that the seat can and has been successfully moved by others makes a big difference in how far I will go to see one.

The Shay has Rack & Pinion steering, the A has has steering by arm-strong. The Shay has tilt wheel which might give some leg room, the A is bowlegged driving to work clutch & brake. The Shay has a fuel pump, the A goes backwards up cemetery hill. The Shay has vacuum advance, setting the spark every stop sign gets old real quick..

My uncles Model A was the most fun I've ever had on a gravel road. Living in the city the nearest good gravel road is an hour away and by the time I get there in a real A, I'll probably be to sore to enjoy it. Though it might turn out to be a true disappointment,  the thought of a Shay that looks like an A appeals to me and the next time I see one close enough to chase after I will be making the trip.

Thanks Guy's

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

another one on facebook, one owner, 3300 original miles, original tires, $13,500.   I would still prefer a 1930 Model A roadster for that money.  I did like these cars more when they were selling for reasonable money.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1022904715208696/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ab0f150ca-0654-49e9-986d-c24943042582

image.png.209c7a0c500474d455720dd33805f9cd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham Man said:

another one on facebook, one owner, 3300 original miles, original tires, $13,500.   I would still prefer a 1930 Model A roadster for that money.  I did like these cars more when they were selling for reasonable money.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1022904715208696/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ab0f150ca-0654-49e9-986d-c24943042582

image.png.209c7a0c500474d455720dd33805f9cd.png

Thanks for the thought. 13.5 is asking and who knows what cash in hand buy price would be when the snow starts to fly, but Clare doesn't have an airport and  taking a quick look is still about 6 hours of drive and fly time, or 22 -24 hours of cross country trailer towing if I can't use the ferry. Driving or riding, 6 hours is about my max seat time in a car.

Yesterday I went to a local show and was parked with a Shay on one side and a Model A Rat rod on the other.

A youpng woman with two kids walked by and read the windshield cards to her 2 kids.   First was the Rat Rod, 

"Look kids a 1929 Model A Ford Pickup", which was about 3' high.  Next was my 1935 Buick Resto-Mod.  She

said,  "A 1935 Buick",  Next was the Shay. She told the kids,  "A 1929 Model A Roadster".   The next car was a

Model A Roadster Street Rod, she read "1929 All Steel Roadster.

This was a local car show, which included new cars and everting from a 1913 Dorris Touring to a 2021 Durango

Hellcat with 710 Horsepower.   We all got along and the local college automotive program made some money.

The Shay owner was  happy too but told every one it was a 1929 Ford.  The 1913 Dorris was a real hit.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Many Shays are now selling for higher prices than originals. I, for one, could’ve bought anything I wanted. I chose a beautiful Shay. Sorry. Nothing against the original, but it just doesn’t appeal to me on many levels. So I bought what I like even though I could’ve acquired an original for less money. That’s why they make vanilla and chocolate. 

IMG_2991.jpeg

• Like 6

This is the same as a Glen Pray 8/10s Cord to me.  They exist on their own and you don't compare them to the originals as they are completely different animal.   Love them for what they are.

• Like 3

That white one looks good, and matches my shoes and belt! Seriously, if you like it and will enjoy driving it, that's all that matters! Yes it's a replica, but now I consider all the kit car VW based cars to be okay. Just have fun and don't take things too seriously. Just tell people that it's a replica, most will still be interested. If you prefer the real thing that's cool too. A real car has a place in history, but to each their own!