Car Lingo You Hate

TAKerry

Misuse of the apostrophe and symbols in print ads or forums.  An apostrophe can mean a contraction of a word or number or make it possessive.  But the apostrophe symbol is also a shorthand for the measurement "FEET".  I own a '67 Lincoln but use to own a 48' Lincoln says totally different things.  The first that I own a 1967 Lincoln but the second says I use to own a 48 foot Lincoln.  That's one long Lincoln.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 61polara said:

Misuse of the apostrophe and symbols in print ads or forums.  An apostrophe can mean a contraction of a word or number or make it possessive.  But the apostrophe symbol is also a shorthand for the measurement "FEET".  I own a '67 Lincoln but use to own a 48' Lincoln says totally different things.  The first that I own a 1967 Lincoln but the second says I use to own a 48 foot Lincoln.  That's one long Lincoln.

Or maybe the misuse of a foot mark “'” when you should use an apostrophe “’” (lets see if the forum software displays the difference between the two).

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 6:56 PM, arcticbuicks said:

“She’s A real cream puff ….never been hit by a milk truck …..with a tight front end …..cancer free ….not a Easter bunny …..back seat never sat in …..runs like a top ……head turner ……never been raced……runs on fumes …..no hidden gremlins …..going fast …..a steal ….won’t last long ……my loss - your gain ……

won't last long  may be a true statement.

I will always ask ; What is wrong with it and why is it about to die ?

On 2/6/2022 at 11:25 AM, Tom D said:

There are quite a few "lingos-you-hate" mentioned.  Some I never heard of.  

But this I do not understand.  Why would an internal engine NOT be called a motor? Hasn't it always been a motor and hasn't it always been called a motor?  I have seldom or never heard:

engine oil

engine mounts

engine city

Ford engine company

engine head (as in he is a motor head)

etc.

Why is "motor" amateurish?  

Help me out here

Tom

Definitions are quite similar for sure. In many instances you could use either term but there are just some places they cannot be interchanged.

You might say "we went motoring yesterday" or "I want to ride my motorcycle". You wouldn't say "engining" or enginecycle".

Or you might say "I saw the new fire engine arrive". It wouldn't be "fire motor".

How about "The President just arrived with his Motorcade". Enginecade? LOL

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Definitions are quite similar for sure. In many instances you could use either term but there are just some places they cannot be interchanged.

You might say "we went motoring yesterday" or "I want to ride my motorcycle". You wouldn't say "engining" or enginecycle".

Or you might say "I saw the new fire engine arrive". It wouldn't be "fire motor".

How about "The President just arrived with his Motorcade". Enginecade? LOL

When we resolve the difference between engine and motor can we then tackle the differences between coat and jacket? Or cap and hat?

English is a wonderful language once you get the hung of it.

• Haha 2

On 2/6/2022 at 10:36 AM, Pfeil said:

Most people in the dealership including a sales manager in the 50's, 60's, 70's didn't know about some of the things you could order. My dad and I both ordered or cars out of the zone office.

It still applies today.  Did you know you can order a top-line Ford F-350 King Ranch with rubber floor covering, and not carpet?  

Craig

21 hours ago, 8E45E said:

It still applies today.  Did you know you can order a top-line Ford F-350 King Ranch with rubber floor covering, and not carpet?  

Craig

On a truck designed for ranch/farming use that makes sense. Course most King Ranch never go within 50 miles of a cow patty!

Re "Edsel brick": talk-to-text and autocorrect are responsible for much mangling of the English language. I've learned to proofread anything I type on an electronic device.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 1:52 PM, 61polara said:

Now how do you know their not talking about feeeeeet? Sorry, I couldn't control myself!

lincoln-stretch-limo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

On a truck designed for ranch/farming use that makes sense. Course most King Ranch never go within 50 miles of a cow patty!

Obviously, there IS a market for it.  The King Ranches with the rubber mat option actually have 'King Ranch' and the logo molded into the rubber, front & rear.  I can see a well-off rancher wanting to show off his well-earned ride, but at the same time, make some attempt to kept the smell down inside; especially under the hot Texas sun!!

Craig

On 2/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, 8E45E said:

Craig

Take the window sticker list and look at all of the "packages' of accessories and try to pick and choose what you want (separately) out of the packages. It can't be done.

6 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Re "Edsel brick": talk-to-text and autocorrect are responsible for much mangling of the English language. I've learned to proofread anything I type on an electronic device.

That's the truth. A relative was using talk to text and when we asked how their kids were it changed "oh they are fine" to "oh they are dead".

Autocorrect isn't much better. I tried to type "that's beautiful" on a nature photo just this past weekend and my phone changed it to "that's Bea Arthur".  It also changed hockey superstar Alex Ovechkin's last name to "oven chin".

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2022 at 2:30 PM, ply33 said:

When we resolve the difference between engine and motor can we then tackle the differences between coat and jacket? Or cap and hat?

English is a wonderful language once you get the hung of it.

It seems that a motor can include things like an electric motor or an internal combustion engine.

The definition of engine does not include an electric motor.

External combustion engines are out of the question. 

Hey Casey Jones, fire up that steam motor doesn't cut it. It's either fire up that steam engine or steam loco. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pfeil said:

It seems that a motor can include things like an electric motor or an internal combustion engine.

Hey Casey Jones, fire up that steam motor doesn't cut it. It's either fire up that steam engine or steam loco. 

Then will someone please tell me where do you use motor oil? And, does that mean that "motor cars" are all electric?

Edited by hook
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I heard that the cars engine is the sum of the parts. A motor is a part in itself. Such as a starter motor, windshield wiper motor, etc.

As far as King Ranch, one of if not the largest ranch in the country. Their association with auto makers goes back to the 50's when I believe it was chrysler that built models specifically for them. I also think they get a commission for every vehicle bearing their name that Ford sells. 

Likewise, the SCCA got $100 for every Pontiac Trans Am sold for licensing rights to the name.

13 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

That's the truth. A relative was using talk to text and when we asked how their kids were it changed "oh they are fine" to "oh they are dead".

Autocorrect isn't much better. I tried to type "that's beautiful" on a nature photo just this past weekend and my phone changed it to "that's Bea Arthur".  It also changed hockey superstar Alex Ovechkin's last name to "oven chin".

My Son's Autocorrect changed "saurkraut" to "Charles Krauthammer".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think in the early days of MOTORing another name for an automobile was motor, as in "Lets take the motor to the mountains this weekend, dear."

Could this usage be where the terms like motor oil and others mentioned come from?

In my world, 'engine' is the noisy hot smelly and occasionally greasy thing that usually dominates the engine room. They may come in multiples and by one means or another they rotate the fan or fans in the blunt end to make the ship go.

'Motor' is the item that drives the support equipment that keeps the lights on, etc.  

Some of us may never get the  hung of the language.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Hook- maybe the reason HMN is hurting for subscribers is they are all looking for Hemmings Engine News and can’t find it on the internet. 
dave s 

Well, that may be so. However, now that someone has successfully created fusion and we'll all be able to have clean endless electric supply (yeah right) without nuke waste or green house gasses. Engine will become a mute point. It will be, lift the hood and show me your electronics and we'll put the car on a lift to see the motors! At my age, my end will come sooner than that future.

The "motor" term associated with the automobile goes all the way back to 1879 when a patent attorney named Selden filed his original patent for a "Road Engine" based on the RR steam engine technology at the time. "Engine" was associated with steam. The patent was granted before internal combustion was first used in the early 1900s when Selden tried to enforce his patent claims on all manufacturers of "self propelled vehicles." The word "Motor" or "Motorcar" was often incorporated in company names to emphasize the fact that they were building IC "motor" powered carriages and not Selden's steam powered road "engine."  Selden,  however successfully argued in court that his patent covered all types of self propelled vehicles, regardless of propulsions.  The patent ended about 1911 however the motor terminology has stuck in our lexicon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, hook said:

Then will someone please tell me where do you use motor oil? And, does that mean that "motor cars" are all electric?

I mentioned this before;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, let's consider what Shell Oil Co. says;

SHELL ENGINE OILS AND LUBRICANTS

Shell is the number one global lubricant supplier, delivering market-leading lubricants to consumers in over 100 countries. Shell Lubricants brings world-class technological insights to its products, offering you the best formulations for your vehicle.

Now let's consider what Castrol says;

WHICH CASTROL OIL IS BEST FOR MY CAR?

When it's time for an oil change, which oil is right for your engine? The answer to that question gets more complex every day. The latest engines are getting smaller and more powerful all the time, and manufacturers are specifying complex full synthetic oils to cope with higher engine pressures and meet fuel efficiency targets.

If you're driving a muscle car or a European import, the manufacturer may well specify a full synthetic motor oil. Alternatively, if you're driving an older domestic vehicle, the manufacturer may recommend a conventional oil. However, even though that's the most economical option, a full synthetic will almost certainly look after your engine better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said before;

Interesting that Castrol uses Engine and Motor to describe the same thing in one statement 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Packard Motor Car Company.

No need for further discussion.👍

10 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

The automotive use is too historically jumbled to sort out.  I think that to be precise an engine converts chemical energy to mechanical energy.

What does an electric motor do? Chemical energy (coal, natural gas, Hydrogen, photo electric, wind) from the power station to batteries. Batteries convert chemical energy to electrical energy

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

What does an electric motor do? Chemical energy (coal, natural gas, Hydrogen, photo electric, wind) from the power station to batteries. Batteries convert chemical energy to electrical energy

an electric motor converts electrical energy to mechanical energy. 

a fueled electrical generating station converts the fuel's chemical energy to heat.  The heat boils water.  The turbine turns mechanical energy into electrical energy, the opposite of an electric motor.  I suppose the system from fuel to turbine shaft is an engine, much like a jet engine.

wire in , motion out, electric motor.

Fuel in, motion out, engine.

4 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

an electric motor converts electrical energy to mechanical energy. 

a fueled electrical generating station converts the fuel's chemical energy to heat.  The heat boils water.  The turbine turns mechanical energy into electrical energy, the opposite of an electric motor.  I suppose the system from fuel to turbine shaft is an engine, much like a jet engine.

wire in , motion out, electric motor.

Fuel in, motion out, engine.

Therefore, an electric car is really like an external combustion engine except there are more steps converting energy to be used and it doesn't carry along with it it's power and generation source. Pretty inefficient I would say, even if you don't count the precious metals and mining process.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As stated previously, by most fundamental definitions, a motor can be electric or IC.  That being said, some have tried to further define that and define electric as motor and IC as engine.  As with many words, people do define words differently.  Although people defining words differently can be confusing, I accept it.  This post’s topic is car lingo you hate.  I do not hate it, but I feel it is, not sure the correct word, maybe condescending, when some point out to others the engine vs motor issue, as if the person calling the IC a motor is somehow ignorant of the topic.  If someone wishes to make the distinction, fine, but that does not make the other wrong.  IMO.

Tom

Well, they could be asking in case they need a car to go to the drive in movie.😎

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, 61polara said:

I really don't like measuring engine size by liters.  I think I'm going to start identifying my older cars by quarts.

318 cid = 5.5 quarts

350 cid = 6.0 quarts

396 cid = 6.9 quarts

426 cid = 7.4 quarts

455 cid = 7.9 quarts

Then instead of CCs using teaspoons has impressive numbers

318 cid = 1,056 tsp

350 cid = 7,488 tsp 

396 cid = 13,248 tsp

426 cid = 14,208 tsp

• Like 1