Did you get your collector car out for a drive this Thanksgiving weekend?

Mark Huston

Today, my brother, and I, took our Studebaker’s for a drive.   We drove about 100 miles altogether.   Stopping in the Sacraments River delta town of Walnut Grove for a picnic lunch.   Here are some shots of my 1929 Studebaker President Brougham and my brothers 1929 Studebaker President Cabriolet.   

A6945751-42AE-44AD-8D36-DCC2BE285DC6.jpeg

5F26AC03-BAAF-4C9A-A1DD-57A5EC4959D7.jpeg

774E83A6-865E-4043-8794-9AC83B8E6AEE.jpeg

• Like 15

Well, we got the 1932 Studebaker Indy car replica out of the garage and parked it in the driveway for some Christmas card photos.  The engine doesn't run yet, so we didn't drive anywhere.  My 15-year old grandson enjoyed getting behind the wheel with my daughter (his mother) in the passenger seat.

1564897779_Indycar112720(small).thumb.JPG.76126922c0292c7f64d6b29e20037c93.JPG

856918589_LeoinIndycar112720.thumb.JPG.adc38f71383470dccef34e375f8948d9.JPG

• Like 15

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Thanksgiving day drive with the wife and “the hounds!”

0D049697-8F89-4922-8B7A-554488BEB943.jpeg

Nice pic-

and one of the "Hounds" could be a ringer for Fala, FDR's pooch,

and be Era-correct for when he served as Secretary of the Navy

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

See my latest travel entry on “Long distance driving/traveling with vintage cars” thread.

While our ride may not qualify for “collector car” and our 5-day trip ended on Thanksgiving day, we managed over 800 miles of vintage driving pleasures on great roads with wonderful weather.

Heck, with the weather we’re having right now, I’ll try to get up on ACH (SR-2) while its still open. Maybe tomorrow ? Anyone else here in SoCal up for a half-to-full day of vintage driving pleasures  ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Gave the wife and kids, plus my cousin and her son rides with the top down on Thanksgiving day.  It was 60 degrees in Long Island on Thanksgiving.  It's supposed to be nice the rest of today and tomorrow; I'll probably take a ride again.  1962 Buick Skylark convertible.

IMG_86281.jpg

• Like 3

I spent some time doing some adjustments to my 1935 Cadillac 355D today. Small things: adjusting the throttle linkage (the idle was too high), giving her a grease job, adjusting tire pressures, and partially closing the hood side louvers, as it is turning cool. Then, of course, I took her out for a ride. I don't have the car fully sorted to my satisfaction, but I was delighted with the way she ran.

At this stage in our life together, her engine seems strong and solid, her semi-automatic choke works the way it should, the power assisted mechanical brakes work almost like those of a modern (say 1970s) car and the steering tracks as if it were on rails. Her transmission is showing some age; it slips out of second on steep hills, but I have learned to anticipate that. Maybe someday that will be fixed.

It was a crisp late fall day, and I loved the day and the car loved it also. It ran flawlessly. I enjoyed driving it, and enjoyed the smiles and waves of others who were obviously pleased to see it.  (I was about to say "old girl" but realized she is only a few years my senior). 

773664444_Cad2(112820).thumb.jpg.957ba06a7db4134af6003e82af18b1ea.jpgGee, I love pre-war cars. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Phil

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pmhowe said:

I spent some time doing some adjustments to my 1935 Cadillac 355D today. Small things: adjusting the throttle linkage (the idle was too high), giving her a grease job, adjusting tire pressures, and partially closing the hood side louvers, as it is turning cool. Then, of course, I took her out for a ride. I don't have the car fully sorted to my satisfaction, but I was delighted with the way she ran.

At this stage in our life together, her engine seems strong and solid, her semi-automatic choke works the way it should, the power assisted mechanical brakes work almost like those of a modern (say 1970s) car and the steering tracks as if it were on rails. Her transmission is showing some age; it slips out of second on steep hills, but I have learned to anticipate that. Maybe someday that will be fixed.

It was a crisp late fall day, and I loved the day and the car loved it also. It ran flawlessly. I enjoyed driving it, and enjoyed the smiles and waves of others who were obviously pleased to see it.  (I was about to say "old girl" but realized she is only a few years my senior). 

773664444_Cad2(112820).thumb.jpg.957ba06a7db4134af6003e82af18b1ea.jpgGee, I love pre-war cars. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Phil

Awesome, Phil!  I love the '35 355D cars.  Just the perfection of art deco design.

• Like 1

US Thanksgiving has passed. We dug out the festive items for the upcoming season, Christmas. I set up lights today outside our home. Our son and his wife stopped by. They convinced us to dig out the Christmas stuff to decorate inside the house too.

Every Christmas I like to also get a photo with one of my old cars involved. This year we also included our Son’s dog, Sammy. 

Here’s Momma, Sammy and I with our ‘53 Chrysler this evening. 

A1DFA279-34DE-4283-B9F6-DAA1B10B750C.jpeg

• Like 7

50 degrees in West Michigan today.  Got to take both of my Oldsmobiles ('56 Super 88 & '70 Cutlass Supreme) out for hour long rides.   Had the companionship of my wife and a cuppa joe to sip.  Real treat to be able to do that in our area this time of year.  😊

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ted sweet said:

my go in storage first week of november regarless of weather

Living in Iowa until 2000 I remember the winter drill well,  One year I kept the 58 Barritz at home longer than I planned so on Christmas day I drove it on I35 to my storage facility with the top down and snow falling. Truckers loved it.  Unfortunately you couldn't take videos with "brick phones"

• Like 1

Well, the Studebaker went to my daughter's spare garage bay 10 days ago and the weather has been pretty messy here in southern Maine since.

However, today (Sunday) turned out to be a nice sunny day, the snow and ice have gone away for the moment.

Unable to resist temptation I put around 50 miles on the 39 Packard just on the local roads

and on return parked the car in its space in my garage what probably will be for the duration

of the winter.

Happy Holidays and stay well to everyone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Very mild fall here in Minnesota. Mostly use my Model A for fall driving (closed car) but occasionally get the T out when conditions are optimal.

Your Model T is a cool old car. I can imagine a trip down a country road in it. I assume comfortable travel speed is 25-35 mph?

I recently saw a vintage photo, taken in my town here. It was about the mid-50's. I saw an old Ford parked on the road. Just looked like no big deal to have such an old car on he road. It may likely have been someone's family, daily driven car in the 1950's? It's out front of the Ford dealer. Maybe the driver just went in to grab some parts for his even older, Ford. LOL. 

Seen here. You can see the new 50's ford cars in the lot.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 9.47.06 AM.png

2 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Your Model T is a cool old car. I can imagine a trip down a country road in it. I assume comfortable travel speed is 25-35 mph?

I recently saw a vintage photo, taken in my town here. It was about the mid-50's. I saw an old Ford parked on the road. Just looked like no big deal.......

Keith,  the collector car hobby was really growing fast post WWll, by the mid 50’s the Model T and A Fords were becoming quite popular. Publications like Hemings Motor News were started and many national marque car clubs were also initiated. Not too common to see Model T’s on the road at that time  but Model A’s were still in daily use. Many meets for other makes of  “old timers” were going also. 

My Model T is very happy (as I am!) to hover around 28-30 mph on paved roads, 20-25 on gravel/dirt.

• Like 1

I took the 66 LeMans convert out for a spin on local country roads.  Didn't think to take a photo and couldn't be gone for long as my wife had spine surgery on Nov 18 and I am her private duty nurse 24/7.  Not even allowed to tie her shoes for 6 weeks.  Obviously not getting and time to work on cars.  Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  Can't wait for 2021!!!

On 11/28/2020 at 3:48 AM, 1935Packard said:

This Tuesday afternoon before a family drive.  You probably don't see many 1934 Packards with car seats in the back.

827151395_ScreenShot2020-11-28at12_48_12AM.thumb.png.863e61c5763da35e6b96aed588ed9268.png

I'm really impressed you talked her in to that.  But that makes me wonder why you couldn't talk her in to a house with a big garage.