What's your favorite French car?

Jaybokay

Well, with all of this grim news out an about, I figured that we could use a light-hearted question to just shoot the breeze. Answer honestly and openly, if you please. 

For me, it would have to be a Facel-Vega Excellence. My dad told me stories about how these Parisian sculptures used to dot the area around his parent's house in Palm Beach when he was a child and I was captivated more effectively than one of Anouk Aimee's performances. I would love to drive one if only to get it out of my system.

Facel Vega Excellence | Automotive ViewsFacel Vega Excellence - Classic Car Review | Honest JohnFacel Vega Excellence, 1960 details

Edited by Jaybokay (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I've always thought the styling of the Excellence was excellent.

I understand that they used American drivetrains, but that

most Excellences weren't sold in the United States.

Are there any in the states today?  What's a typical value?

Most Facel-Vegas, including the Excellence, were built in Paris using Chrysler 331 cu. (5.4 L) V8s. While other Facels tend to command prices around $400,000, the Excellence will only cost you about half that at the most because it's a four-door sedan. Not like I care though. However, a small handful (under 50 units) are in the States.

Edited by Jaybokay (see edit history)

Yep, my favorite French car is the Facel Vega, without a doubt. And probably my all time favorite car of it's type.  I don't know much about them, however, so the four door version is a new one on me...Thanks for the education, Jay. BTW, an online acquaintance from France informed me several years ago that many French people had some antipathy towards the Facel Vega because a couple of prominent and well loved French celebrities died in them (while speeding, of course.) The Vega had a big powerful Chrysler engine, and was very fast, but didn't have brakes that were up to the task of stopping the car when at speed.

1957→1958 Facel Vega FV4 Typhoon
  • Like 1

Much as I like the first series Facel-Vega Excellence, I'll still take a 1972 Citroen SM over the Excellence with the six Cibie headlamps and glass covers.  One cannot beat the ride~a true Grand Touring car!

Craig

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jaybokay said:

While other Facels tend to command prices around $400,000, the Excellence will only cost you about half that at the most because it's a four-door sedan. Not like I care though.

Jake,

What`s neat about them is they are a true pillarless four door hardtop, not unlike a `57-`58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham.

Reportedly, Studebaker-Packard was interested in badge-engineering some as Packards, but Mercedes Benz objected, which S-P was distributing in North America at the time.   https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/27771-interesting-mercedes-benz-article

Craig

9 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Much as I like the first series Facel-Vega Excellence, I'll still take a 1972 Citroen SM over the Excellence with the six Cibie headlamps and glass covers.  One cannot beat the ride~a true Grand Touring car!

Craig

Excellent choice with the SM. A beautiful blending of Citroen and Maserati that turned out to be quite good. Too bad that it's still not as appreciated as the earlier DS. Also, I quite like the pre-war Peugeot 202. Streamlining at its best! 

STUURMAN CLASSIC and SPECIAL CARS: 1946 Peugeot 202 ...

36 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Although I love the prewar delehaye best , could never afford one but have recently been looking at 65 Renault caravelle , love the south of France ambiance of it 

also love Citroen DS , cool car 

The Renault Caravelle? You mean that very cute French roadster that the Tesla Model 3 stole its front clip from? Fantastic stuff! I believe it was sold as the "Floride" in its home market.

Renault Caravelle convertible - 1965 - Catawiki

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jaybokay said:

The Renault Caravelle? You mean that very cute French roadster that the Tesla Model 3 stole its front clip from? Fantastic stuff! I believe it was sold as the "Floride" in its home market.

Renault Caravelle convertible - 1965 - Catawiki

That’s it many thanks 

Early De Dion Bouton - the most significant car made in France.  The De Dion engines ended up powering so many early cars the list would be extensive.  It was a 1903 De Dion Bouton that provided an interesting early connection for me with AACA.   When I was a high-school student, a frequent stop walking home from school was a neighborhood drug-store with a large magazine section that included many second-hand periodicals that were being re-circulated.   Among them was a pile of Antique Automobile magazines.  I bought one and that was the first time I'd ever actually encountered AACA.  In the magazine was an article about the discovery and restoration of a 1903 in Scotland.  I was fascinated, and that magazine inspired me to become a member!   I'd never have guessed that years later I'd actually be in Scotland meeting the owner and the car.   Here are a few examples of these fabulous early cars.  They out-number all other entries in the annual London-Brighton run.  Their high survival is testimony to their quality, popularity and reliability.

Terry

1903 De Dion Bouton.jpg

1904 De Dion Bouton.jpg

1904 De Dion Bouton old photo.jpg

• Like 2

For many years my "bucket list" car was an HK-500 with Pont-a-Mousson and AC., one was often in the parking lot where I went swimming and always thought it was perferct.  Still do but pretty much have enough big V-8s now.

ps had a Caravelle once. Paid $75 and forgot in what state I left it.

pps "`57-`58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham. " also one that sat behind the loal Guf Sstation and I tried many time to buy, years later saw it up in Auburn. Had a very distictive crack in the vent window. Suicide doors, dual quads, and AC - whats not to like ?

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

French cars? French food and wine, Italian artist, English police/organization and German automobile/ mechanics makes sense but French cars. Lol 

dave s

just kidding there are some nice French cars. The Delahayne 135M & 135 prewar were great looking cars 

6821B8DE-4230-4061-8E90-B75CDE9F2072.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

I have to side with Terry Bond on this! Since I am primarily interested in prewar and earlier cars (other than as a modern workhorse), I was pleased to see someone besides me bring up early French automobiles.

While Delage, Delahaye, and Voisin,  (among a few others) built many incredible automobiles in the prewar classic era, I think overall with their early contributions to the world's automotive history, I would also vote for for De Dion Bouton. In the recent internet years, almost every year for the past ten to fifteen years, within a few days of the running of the London to Brighton Run, I look for posted videos and spend an hour or more watching them. The De Dion Boutons are among my favorite cars there, and I am always impressed by their numbers and how so very many of them seem to complete the run without significant troubles.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have to side with Terry Bond on this! Since I am primarily interested in prewar and earlier cars (other than as a modern workhorse), I was pleased to see someone besides me bring up early French automobiles.

While Delage, Delahaye, and Voisin,  (among a few others) built many incredible automobiles in the prewar classic era, I think overall with their early contributions to the world's automotive history, I would also vote for for De Dion Bouton. In the recent internet years, almost every year for the past ten to fifteen years, within a few days of the running of the London to Brighton Run, I look for posted videos and spend an hour or more watching them. The De Dion Boutons are among my favorite cars there, and I am always impressed by their numbers and how so very many of them seem to complete the run without significant troubles.

As far as chassis components, certain items are still named after their inventors, including 'Panhard rod' and 'DeDion suspension' to this day.

Craig

I know this snail that painted a big. " S " on the hood of his car.... And I asked him why ???

He replied (Il repete), " I really like to watch that "S" car go !!!!!!!

Happy best you can July 4th.... Merci, Le France, pour le

Statue of Liberty.....

1 hour ago, Billy Kingsley said:

When I think of French cars, the first vision in my head is of a Citroen 2CV. So I guess that's it.

The 2CV was basically a French 'Model T' which was very basic to work on and keep on the road, to which it succeeded.

Prior to the second world war, famous architect, Le Corbusier, entered a design competition with a 'minimalist' car:

https://www.cardesignnews.com/concept-car-of-the-week/concept-car-of-the-week-le-corbusiers-voiture-minimum-1936/24910.article

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/le-corbusiers-dream-car-the-1936-voiture-minimum/

Some say, Citroen used this design as the basis for the 2CV.

Craig

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mobileparts said:

I know this snail that painted a big. " S " on the hood of his car.... And I asked him why ???

He replied (Il repete), " I really like to watch that "S" car go !!!!!!!

Happy best you can July 4th.... Merci, Le France, pour le

Statue of Liberty.....

That's THIS one!  https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/03/rare-rides-the-1989-nissan-s-cargo-its-van-time/

Craig

Renault LeCar - in the snow a quick flip of the handbrake and you are headed back from whence you came. A lot of fun and the front seat is more comfortable than most luxo cars. Great engineering but unfortunately lacking in quality...

• Like 1

Lots of great Brass Era Panhard Levassor's, especially the large models. Not many in North America so fairly unknown around here. One toured with the Horseless Carriage club in California for quite a few years { 1980's ?} but I am not sure if it is in North America 

anymore.

Greg

This Delahaye, displayed at the Mullin in California has to be among the most beautiful designs ever!

Of my own French cars, surely the Renault Dauphine and Peugeot would NOT rank among the top as far as beauty, nor would the Citroen Ami-6 or the cycolac-bodied Mehari.

The 1967 DS-21M and ‘67 DS-21 Pallas sedans would Rank very high on my list/lust, along with the 1966 Safari and our matched pair of white 1971 D-21 Station Wagons.

The 1964 2-CV was more fun than the proverbial barrel of monkeys -

BUT - our Exotic 1972 Citroen SM with its 2.7 Litre quad-overhead camshafts, 5-speed tranny and weber carbs, capable of safe, extreme handling, comfort well beyond reasonable expectation, and road speed documented “beyond” 156 mph (As per State Trooper assigned as my support vehicle Many, many years ago), styled 50 years in the past, and as fresh today as one could imagine - this is as close as I can come to my actual favorite-

Yes my absolute favorite, only narrowly Beating one I’ve coveted for fifty years, the Citroen Chapron convertible - the one I should have bought 45 years ago.

This is the Delahaye I noted from the Mullin collection, with apologies for the quality of cellphone pictures, truly among the most exquisite automotive designs of all time, and certainly of the 1930s:

BD0658BE-0B9F-415A-835B-5992208E6CFD.jpeg

6A1EB519-7202-4562-8CA4-EF5A609F85E5.jpeg

E34D2A30-9241-463F-A0BA-2B041DF117E9.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this is the most perfect design of all time. Bugatti Type 57 SC Atlantic.  I remember seeing this car at Hershey a few years back.  This is the Mona Lisa of cars (although I'd argue this point with myself about the Type 31 Royales).

bug.jpg

7 hours ago, Jaybokay said:

Most Facel-Vegas, including the Excellence, were built in Paris using Chrysler 331 cu. (5.4 L) V8s. While other Facels tend to command prices around $400,000, the Excellence will only cost you about half that at the most because it's a four-door sedan. Not like I care though. However, a small handful (under 50 units) are in the States.

Facel used whatever size V8 was current at the time.

This 1961 HK in NZ has a 361 in it.

IMG_0803 (1024x768).jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Facel used whatever size V8 was current at the time.

This 1961 HK in NZ has a 361 in it.

IMG_0803 (1024x768).jpg

Were they all Chrysler hemi V-8s, or did they use the engines of other manufacturers?

Cheers,

Grog

2 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Lots of great Brass Era Panhard Levassor's, especially the large models. Not many in North America so fairly unknown around here. One toured with the Horseless Carriage club in California for quite a few years { 1980's ?} but I am not sure if it is in North America 

anymore.

Greg

Here's a pre-brass era Panhard & Levassor from 1892, and a post-brass era P&L from 1939.

Craig

10hm032.jpg

39_Panhard.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

This Delahaye, displayed at the Mullin in California has to be among the most beautiful designs ever!

Of my own French cars, surely the Renault Dauphine and Peugeot would NOT rank among the top as far as beauty, nor would the Citroen Ami-6 or the cycolac-bodied Mehari.

The 1967 DS-21M and ‘67 DS-21 Pallas sedans would Rank very high on my list/lust, along with the 1966 Safari and our matched pair of white 1971 D-21 Station Wagons.

The 1964 2-CV was more fun than the proverbial barrel of monkeys -

BUT - our Exotic 1972 Citroen SM with its 2.7 Litre quad-overhead camshafts, 5-speed tranny and weber carbs, capable of safe, extreme handling, comfort well beyond reasonable expectation, and road speed documented “beyond” 156 mph (As per State Trooper assigned as my support vehicle Many, many years ago), styled 50 years in the past, and as fresh today as one could imagine - this is as close as I can come to my actual favorite-

Yes my absolute favorite, only narrowly Beating one I’ve coveted for fifty years, the Citroen Chapron convertible - the one I should have bought 45 years ago.

This is the Delahaye I noted from the Mullin collection, with apologies for the quality of cellphone pictures, truly among the most exquisite automotive designs of all time, and certainly of the 1930s:

BD0658BE-0B9F-415A-835B-5992208E6CFD.jpeg

Mullen's have a couple of Talbot-Lagos in their collection; one that was on loan to the Portland Art Museum "Shape of Speed" exhibit in 2018, along with a Delahaye.

Craig

36_Talbot-Lago.jpg

38_Delahaye.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)