2021 BCA National Meet/s- Concord, North Carolina June 30-July 3; Strongsville Ohio , July 7-10 CANCELLED

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Oh wow!  By June most should be vaccinated.  Why cancel an outdoor event?

I don't know what the board decided but the National is much more than a car show and swap meet outdoors on Saturday.  There are tours, meetings, banquets and other activities that happen, mostly indoors.  It must be a stressful decision on whether to proceed to plan and execute the plan with its significant costs, or to exit the plan early.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I don't know what the board decided but the National is much more than a car show and swap meet outdoors on Saturday.  There are tours, meetings, banquets and other activities that happen, mostly indoors.  It must be a stressful decision on whether to proceed to plan and execute the plan with its significant costs, or to exit the plan early.

Yea.   But couldn't we have the show and swap meet?  Some of us cant afford all the tours and after parties...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was hoping a board member would be the one to bring us the news and explain their reasoning and the vote, answering questions before they were asked. Now this thread will likely become one of second guessing and misinformation. So let me kick it off  

19 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Oh wow!  By June most should be vaccinated.  Why cancel an outdoor event?

I agree, I mean it's not like it's next month but rather 4 months from now, look at the positive improvements just over the last month. And not only vaccinations but natural immunity/herd immunity as reported by Wall Street Journal

12 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I don't know what the board decided but the National is much more than a car show and swap meet outdoors on Saturday.  There are tours, meetings, banquets and other activities that happen, mostly indoors.

So pull the bus tours, make it a two day event, limit the activities that can't be social distanced. Did the BOD consider those alternatives? I'm sure it's about potentially loosing money on "something" but jeeze last I heard there's plenty in the coffers to absorb such. Come on BOD let us hear from you.

• Like 2

I do not have any more info then what i have read above

I do think we shuld all take a deep breath until an official statement is announced.

but from my own experiance the insurance is following state guidelines

so how do you control that in an outside venue and if you go beyond the limit and something happens 

you might not have insurance then where does it fall, on the organization and board members.

all i am saying is there is so much more than just hanging out at a car show. (which i was hoping to do in NC)

i am not totally sure we are going to have our local show in September because of what i said above, i will know when we get there

the BOD/NMC are in a tough position no matter what the decision.

most of us just want a car show that why for the last year most events have been non organized events

my opinion

Marty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Consider the plight of travelers too. I like the multi day meets but its a overnight at least  to get to and from Concord.. And how much more for others?   I am not certain its worth the extra difficulties for a 2 day meet is a tough call to make 4 months ahead. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Liability?  Insurance?  We may never have another meet since Covid in some form like the flu may be around forever.  What about regional meets using the BCA insurance umbrella?  Or even local club events?

Looks like this old Texas Road Warrior has already made his last trip.  One more thing:  why should I continue membership in the BCA?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I understand some of the insurance concerns but was assuming NC has Limited Immunity to Covid contraction liability similar to Georgia. These signs are posted at any business or event entrance these days. I have not checked NC or Ohio 
5DC8C4C9-80CE-4CEA-A88A-48FDF3027F54.thumb.jpeg.bf0fff98c92a07067ead07edd10e3e8f.jpeg

Some how good guys, carolina fear fest, and several others are fine here in NC. They are even planning to hold the state fair! Outdoor gather limits lifted now as long as masked. Sports events are back on and arenas open.

• Like 1

I like the rules that Lamar has in Georgia but up here in NY its a little different 

50 states possibly 50 sets of rules and what town or county is going to go against the governor

i don't like it any more than you guys but sometimes it just is what it is.

The BCA has to make a decision with what they know now not what might be, and i cant speak for their decision making, 

who would have thought we would be having these conversations 2 years ago.

old-tank don't end your membership just because of this, the main source of Buick and where else would you find a nicer bunch of people than us? lol

Marty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Some how good guys, carolina fear fest, and several others are fine here in NC. They are even planning to hold the state fair! Outdoor gather limits lifted now as long as masked. Sports events are back on and arenas open.

Anyhow. Im done whining for now.  I invite folks to explore good guys (April 23-25)... I'll be there with my 57 and my hearse. Also the myrtle beach run to the sun is March 18-20 (wont be at this one). Luckily I found someone to buy up all the stuff I was going to vend in Charlotte.  @Pete Phillips we can figure out how to get you your parts or a refund but they are welcome to stay here for as long as needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

old-tank don't end your membership just because of this, the main source of Buick and where else would you find a nicer bunch of people than us? lo

That is why I go to the National Meets, to connect with my friends and meet new people.  Without a membership I can still interact  here on the forums, talk on the phone occasionally, and maybe meet up with some that are close by.  I don't go to banquets or tours, seldom read the Bugle and don't have my car judged anymore.  Some have completed a restoration 2 years ago and to them it is really important to have it judged.

After talking to one of our board members, in addition to the liability issues they were afraid the club would be "on the hook" for rooms not reserved...So what!...to me that is BS since the club has huge cash reserves and spending it on the members should be a priority!

4 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

All this is very frustrating. Can "someone" please confirm and give details of all this.

Don't hold your breath for some 'mealy-mouth" statement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The National Meet Committee met with the BCA Board of Directors on Monday, March 1. Proposals were submitted from both events and a motion was made and voted on by the BOD and the chief judge and NMC Chair. The direction from there was to let the chairs for this year's meets get with the hotels and work on details to move the events to later  years, or cancel all together, but make sure the club was not liable for thousands of dollars in cancelation fees but could be transferred to future years. The agreement was to make that happen without the announcement that the events were canceled until the hotel contracts were negotiated, unfortunately a leak occurred so we still have to wait for the official announcement of the plans, stay tuned, stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I received the following via email this afternoon:

A message from the National Meet Committee

2021 DUAL National Meet Cancelled

The Buick Club of America Board of Directors has decided to cancel the 2021 Dual Meet scheduled for June/July this summer.  The National Meet Committee (NMC) held several meetings with the board to review the current public health guidance related to the pandemic and the impact on the event.  These guidelines included capacity restrictions and face covering mandates both indoors and outdoors along with contract tracing and health check requirements.  After much discussion, careful consideration and an overabundance of caution, the board decided to cancel the meets this summer.  Strongsville and Charlotte/Concord are excellent locations to host National Meets therefore the BOD and NMC will be working with the local chapters and hotels to determine their interest in hosting a meet in future years.

The majority of the BCA membership’s demographic is considered in the “vulnerable population” and consequently at a higher risk for the COVID-19 virus.  Naturally, this vulnerability leads seniors to be very concerned for their safety if attending a mass gathering event such as a national meet.  In addition, there is uncertainty as to how businesses (including those we had planned on for activities) will be operating in the June/July timeframe and possibility not being open at all.  This is currently the case with some tour activities that were planned for Strongsville.  Given this, the events would look very different than what was planned and experienced by the membership in past years.  The current public health orders in both locations do not provide a conducive environment to holding our typical national meet event.

The board offers their sincere appreciation to the National Meet Committee and the 2021 host chapters for their hard work and dedication for not only planning the meets but for providing detailed information on the current pandemic restrictions and how the events could be affected.  This decision was very difficult for the board to make but felt it is in the best interest of the BCA membership to cancel.    Meet registrations that have been received will be refunded within the next two to four weeks. 

The National Meet Committee and the board look forward to welcoming everyone to the 2022 National Meet in Lisle, Illinois. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Pat Wojahn, Chair
National Meet Committee
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Buick Fans,

For those who wish to partake in a National style event an alternative for this summer is coming soon. This National style event is not a Buick Club of America event. More info soon. 

Are you suggesting a "pop-up" event, sort of a random meeting like seeing your neighbor at the grocery store?  Then it would be hard to pin liability on anyone if someone in attendance contracted some sort of disease; no organization could then be held liable.  Of course that would require all those in attendance to fully accept conditions of attendance, should they decide to attend .

Covid restrictions and "vulnerable population" are the reasons...probably not in 4 months.

Not the reasons a board member gave me:  BCA insurance does not cover liability for any litigation over covid and any specific policy would be "too expensive";  less attended meet would result in a loss.  Yeah, like the club is broke (only $750,000 on hand).  Lost revenue from non-renewals will result in a greater loss (I am out of here until the club can facilitate a meet).

Actually all BCA activities are under the umbrella  of BCA insurance, so what about club meetings, regional meets, etc??

Edited by old-tank (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kgreen said:

Are you suggesting a "pop-up" event, sort of a random meeting like seeing your neighbor at the grocery store?  Then it would be hard to pin liability on anyone if someone in attendance contracted some sort of disease; no organization could then be held liable.  Of course that would require all those in attendance to fully accept conditions of attendance, should they decide to attend .

No this will not be a "pop-up" event.

I am reluctantly forced to agree with the National Meet Committee. Cancelling the twin meets is the safest thing to do. 

I am considered a vulnerable person and I haven’t gotten a vaccine shot yet. I’ll probably have my shot(s) in April. I can feel the world is pulling out of the pandemic, slowly. You can’t fool around with this. I expect 2021 will begin to go back to normal in the fall.

Ok, my reasonable side has left the room. NUTS! I hate Covid and the lockdown and masks! I want to take my Buick out and go to shows and have some fun! I lost my job because of the Covid-19 work cutback. We’re not hurting for money but I have had it! Blee$&@*#ep!

This is what a pandemic is. We can’t just snap our fingers and wish it away, damn it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

at least somebody's got their s...stuff together 

but the open air Charlotte Spring Auto Fair was canceled, what a crazy world we live in.........     Y'all come on down

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The BOD and the NMC made a very difficult decision in cancelling this year's dual meets. That decision was based on a number of factors. Every one of us wanted to go to this years Meets. The financial risks were very high. Sure the BCA does have money in its treasury for a rainy rday. But the BOD are shepherds of the Club's money and it would be a disservice to all these who have worked to make the Club financially solvent to risk losing it by having insufficient attendance to cover room guarantees, food and beverage minimums, etc. There were also liability issues for both the Club and it directors personally. Every part of a National Meet that we have planned for and then delete makes it less possible to for the Club to live up to its guarantees. 

The contracts for these meets are somewhat complex documents, and legal advice was also used in coming to this decision. 

I personally have really been looking forward to doing Buick related events , but in my opinion well as the other BOD members, it came to a point, where we felt the risks were far greater than the benefits. Negotiations  are under way to hold National Meets at these locations at a later date. Only time will tell if we were right or wrong, but the vast majority of US adults are currently unvaccinated . Some people have decided they will not be vaccinated , As of today, people are still dying from Covid. The BOD. has to make decisions in real time, not based on what may or may not be the situation down the road. In the last week, the National Model Railroad Association, and the Route 66 fun tour have also been cancelled, the British Invasion in Vermont has not been given a green light to happen in Sept. No Canadians can travel across the IUS border. Too many circumstances to risk going forward.

We made this decision with a heavy heart, but I think we made the right decision.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

My "Crystal Ball" can't tell the future any better than yours.

It's one of those life decisions that you should make and then not look back. One can play 'what if.....' all day long and never come out ahead.

Thanks to all who worked on both events and to those tasked with the difficult decision.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• BUICK RACER changed the title to 2021 BCA National Meet/s- Concord, North Carolina June 30-July 3; Strongsville Ohio , July 7-10 CANCELLED
18 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

Sure the BCA does have money in its treasury for a rainy rday. But the BOD are shepherds of the Club's money and it would be a disservice to all these who have worked to make the Club financially solvent to risk losing it by having insufficient attendance to cover room guarantees, food and beverage minimums, etc. There were also liability issues for both the Club and it directors personally. Every part of a National Meet that we have planned for and then delete makes it less possible to for the Club to live up to its guarantees. 

So, how much would it cost if one or both meets were a bust?  And how much for adequate insurance?  The club was broke 20 years ago, now there is a big chunk of change on hand.  And after 40 years paying dues and going to meets, I have made a small contribution, but no more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, old-tank said:

So, how much would it cost if one or both meets were a bust?  And how much for adequate insurance?  The club was broke 20 years ago, now there is a big chunk of change on hand.  And after 40 years paying dues and going to meets, I have made a small contribution, but no more.

The order of magnitude of a worst case scenario was around a hundred K if both meets were a bust and no one will  give us that type of insurance at this point. My guess is that other organizations may not have it either, and either they are willing to take the risk or never asked the question. The CDC and the President are saying that it is HOPED that small gatherings may occur by July 4th. The BOD made its decision based on the facts at hand, and we are not looking back. We are looking on to making future meets the best possible experience for all attendees. Even if we had chosen to go forward , it was a requirement that  ALL Attendees were wear masks at all tines in the hotel and on the grounds. Given the fights that have broken out over mask wearing, that one small part of the picture could have led to a lot of losing of friends, as it would have been up to the BCA to do all the policing of CDC guidelines, including being the mask police.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Again this year hundreds of BCA members are or will be disappointed the dual meets were canceled. 

We have a BCA Board to make these decisions and it seems many are second guessing their decision. 

They have all the facts and details and they have made a decision.   Come July we might look back and say

either they did the right thing or not.    The decision could not wait until July and the Board acted. 

I support the Board. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2