Someone was using deserted streets of NY City as private race track and wrecks $750,000 Porsche

Mark Gregory

First how can a Porsche be worth that much and second where is his brains ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8199533/Driver-wrecks-750-000-Porsche-Mirage-GT-supercar-speeding-round-New-York-lockdown.html

High' millionaire wrecks his ultra-rare $750,000 Porsche by crashing it while speeding round the streets of deserted Manhattan

• Benjamin Chen, 33, lost control of the ultra-rare super car at 7.30 am on Tuesday and plowed into parked car 
  • Stunned New Yorkers looked on as Chen tried to drive car away despite heavy damage to the body and tires
  • New York City is under strict lockdown and reported 806 coronavirus deaths in 24 hours, taking total to 3,544

A millionaire luxury car owner wrecked his $750,000 Porsche Mirage GT supercar while speeding around the deserted streets of Manhattan while allegedly high on drugs

Wife and I can relate to this. Yesterday was my 6 week check up to see if last bladder cancer treatment was successful and we wouldn't have been out at all if not for this important test. Just 2 miles into trip at 10 AM we stopped at a traffic light and were rear ended by some "high" idiot who was taken away in cuffs for DUI all the while screaming obscenities at wife and I as well as the police officers! Very proud of how well our 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV endured the full speed crash as witness's claimed he never even touched the brakes. Rough start to our day but cancer free declaration later at Doctor's helped us endure it.

Howard Dennis

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. And nice job adding the felonious "and run" part to the list of crimes you committed, dumbass.

That particular Porsche (the Carrera GT) is treacherous as hell. It's the same one that killed Paul Walker and has a nasty reputation for being extremely difficult to control, even for highly skilled drivers (which a 33-year-old Instagram hero isn't). Everyone who owns one knows that if they get anywhere close to the limit, they will crash.

Looks like this guy is nothing more than another data point in that theorem.

• Like 2

"Ignorance is a fact! Stupid is a choice!"

Everyone is ignorant about thousands of things that they have never needed to learn. Ignorance can be overcome on many of those thousands of things anytime one needs and is willing to learn.

Stupid is having had opportunities to learn things that any fool should have learned. But having chosen to NOT learn.

I do not throw the word "stupid" around carelessly. If I say someone is "stupid", it is because I mean it.

Howard, I also am quite pleased to hear you are doing well! Keep getting better. Maxwell needs you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In New York City it is literally impossible for a citizen to own a handgun, but they give jerks like this a license to kill himself or an innocent bystander. Too much money and too little brains.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

In New York City it is literally impossible for a citizen to own a handgun, but they give jerks like this a license to kill himself or an innocent bystander. Too much money and too little brains.

I have often wondered if there could be some law that correlated the horsepower to the age/iq or something else.  For example an 18 year old could only drive/rent/own a 60 horsepower car.  a fifty year old could only drive a 150 horsepower car.  Owners of CCCA "Classic" or pre WWII cars would be exempt.

I guess there is no real way to fix stupid.

20 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

I have often wondered if there could be some law that correlated the horsepower to the age/iq or something else.  For example an 18 year old could only drive/rent/own a 60 horsepower car.  a fifty year old could only drive a 150 horsepower car.  Owners of CCCA "Classic" or pre WWII cars would be exempt.

I guess there is no real way to fix stupid.

That is a good idea, tying horse power to age, but maybe it should be on a "bell curve" with the peak being somewhere around 50.

Mike in Colorado

5 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

but maybe it should be on a "bell curve" with the peak being somewhere around 50.

Well... OK, now that I know my limitations, I guess I will go out and fire up the walk-behind lawnmower!  

• Haha 2

I'm still trying to figure out why any car needs more than 250 horsepower! The driver(s) is stupid for sure, but he did not make this car. What is its intense speed capability meant for? Certainly not for racing on city streets at $700K a pop. Part of this Spoiled Society's Sickness.

45 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

That is a good idea, tying horse power to age, but maybe it should be on a "bell curve" with the peak being somewhere around 50.

Mike in Colorado

Mike,

Here in Australia, at least in my State of New South Wales but I think there are similar regulations in other States, restrictions apply to new and inexperienced drivers who are issued with "Provisional Licences" with "High Performance Vehicle Restrictions" applying to them for their first couple of years of driving. Restricts them to the cars they can drive and I think  excludes V8's and turbo and supercharged engines.

Throws up some problems for those with "old cars". Eg - Young guy with a '55 Packard Caribbean had to get a special dispensation so he could drive his "old car". Or there's the young guy with a later model Corvette who swapped in a six so he could drive the car, it was swapped back to the V8 later.

I like the idea of restricting horse power with age, but in this case, he was probably some 40 to 60 year old jerk that makes way too much money. For example, in my town there is a body shop that only repairs Ferrari's and it's always loaded with cars to be repaired. Not too many 18 year olds can afford a Ferrari.

8 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

I like the idea of restricting horse power with age, but in this case, he was probably some 40 to 60 year old jerk that makes way too much money. For example, in my town there is a body shop that only repairs Ferrari's and it's always loaded with cars to be repaired. Not too many 18 year olds can afford a Ferrari.

Sooooooooooooooo, You want 18 year olds to drive Ferraris? 

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

The article says he's 33, and owns multiple supercars. Doesn't seem like a real nice guy though.

4 hours ago, Mark Gregory said:

I wonder if this guy is tied to a Diplomatic Immunity some how and does not care if he is caught.

I have heard in London the boy racers are from all over the World with Diplomatic plates and the Police cannot stop them from speeding.

Certain countries just don't care, there are rolls royces with literally a dozen parking tickets stuffed under the wipers. They publish a list for Canberra from time to time, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-23/diplomatic-drivers-ignore-parking-laws/11537306 pretty disgusting the disrespect.  

4 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Here in Australia, at least in my State of New South Wales but I think there are similar regulations in other States, restrictions apply to new and inexperienced drivers who are issued with "Provisional Licences" with "High Performance Vehicle Restrictions" applying to them for their first couple of years of driving. Restricts them to the cars they can drive and I think  excludes V8's and turbo and supercharged engines.

Here's Victoria's approach to limiting HP to age

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/your-ps/prohibited-vehicles-for-p-plate-drivers/about-prohibited-vehicles

About 175hp/2200lbs is the limit, no performance increasing mods or specifically banned - used to ban v8/turbo/supercharging but obviously most modern cars having it made that rule impractical. The restrictions also apply to vintage vehicles as well, but on the new rules a P plater could drive my Cadillac with it's V8 where as in the past they couldn't (power to weight of 0.017 hp/lb compared to my modern car  at approx 0.1 hp/lb)

I am 72 and have 438 HP in my daily driver. It weighs 4900 pounds. The only problem so far is my wife making a sarcastic comment about "the everyday car" spending the winter all polished up in the garage.