Daytona 500 wreck

keiser31

That was an awful wreck.  If they continue to race at Daytona and Talladega, this will happen, but they should reconsider their unlimited "green-white-checkered" policy.  They just keep wrecking and lining it up to do it all over again.  If the race finished under caution like it used to, even to the detriment of the "show," there would probably be a lot fewer wrecked race cars, and in this case, one less injured driver.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 3macboys said:

From Nascar - Serious but not life threatening - some good news

That IS good news that Newman survived; however, "not life threatening" does not necessarily mean "not life changing".  I think we're all praying for a FULL recovery for Ryan Newman.

Regards,

Grog

• Like 7

I'm sorry about the driver, but I stopped caring about NASCAR when stock cars stopped being "stock". What was the last Toyota (or Ford for that matter) that you could buy with a pushrod V8? When was the last time you could buy a "two door" Camry?

• Like 4

Modern NASCAR racing seems to consist of several hours of two lane chains of cars going at almost exactly the same speed (+/- 3 mph). Had to use my backup DVR since was not on the cable schedule but got it. Finish was something out of Stroker Ace (the book not the turkey). From 1st to 4th while airborne. That said modern safety equipment is awesome.

Frankly I liked it better when some were faster on the straight and others were faster on the banking & not who is best at drafting. Could look at the banking from the infield and see who had their tail out. Not recent though, "Days of Thunder" thutty yar ago had the same issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I'm sorry about the driver, but I stopped caring about NASCAR when stock cars stopped being "stock". What was the last Toyota (or Ford for that matter) that you could buy with a pushrod V8? When was the last time you could buy a "two door" Camry?

Don't be sorry, Many of us feel the same way too. There is just one thing though. In order to be honest, NASCAR needs to change it's name.

• Like 2

NASCAR will continue allowing the "bump drafting" until one of their big names gets killed. Ryan Newman had the race won until that "bump". They seem to want to get back to the days of Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s philosophy of "if you are in front of me, move over, or I'll put you into the wall". Earnhardt was the golden boy and put people in the seats, so NASCAR did nothing. Ask anyone that raced against him and they will tell you, that they might be friends off the track, but on the track he would wreck his mother. Go to a race and listed to the people cheer when there is "the big one", as they call it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

NASCAR will continue allowing the "bump drafting" until one of their big names gets killed. Ryan Newman had the race won until that "bump". They seem to want to get back to the days of Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s philosophy of "if you are in front of me, move over, or I'll put you into the wall". Earnhardt was the golden boy and put people in the seats, so NASCAR did nothing. Ask anyone that raced against him and they will tell you, that they might be friends off the track, but on the track he would wreck his mother. Go to a race and listed to the people cheer when there is "the big one", as they call it.

That sounds like Lee Petty who did that a few times to Richard. But alas that was STOCK CAR RACING.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

They didn't call Dale Earnheart Sr. "The Intimidator" for nuthin'.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, billorn said:

You could tell the guy who won didnt much feel like partying at the finish line after just killing a guy to do it as far as he knew at the time.

Yes, a wreck like that puts a damper on any win, I'm sure.

The 11 (winner) didn't turn the 6, the 12 did.

Minor detail as both (I should say all) drivers were very humble at the finish.

This is something that all racers know can happen and it is sometimes even talked about. With the safety built into these cars these days Ryan was not killed.

Twenty or less years ago he would have been. Seeing that all of the major damage was drivers side and lack of immediate information on the broadcast I was happy wake up to hear  not life threatening.

Probably life changing for sure.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

The 11 (winner) didn't turn the 6, the 12 did.

Minor detail as both (I should say all) drivers were very humble at the finish.

This is something that all racers know can happen and it is sometimes even talked about. With the safety built into these cars these days Ryan was not killed.

Twenty or less years ago he would have been. Seeing that all of the major damage was drivers side and lack of immediate information on the broadcast I was happy wake up to hear  not life threatening.

Probably life changing for sure.

The runt in the 11 bumped the 12 to allow it to hit Newman's #6. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

+1 on that  I know "rubbing is racing" but in these cars the stability is so fragile that any recovery is more luck than skill. And it is no longer "the big one" but more the big 10 or 20. Reminded me of all the tires flying at Indy '66 just now it is whole cars.    

It would be easy to have the drivers shop the bumping. Change the rules to have a car requirement where the front bumper is soft. Any bump that would happen would damage the front of the car and ruin the aerodynamics of the car thus making the car uncompetitive for the rest of the race. 

John

For me the bumping is fine.  There is no other way to pass a car on your own on these restrictor plate races.  The cars are all the same.  You can’t push the pedal down any more than they already do, to the floor all the way around the track.  They need to allow the teams to modify the cars to find speed rather than depending on the drivers to pushing each other around.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Just have a requirement that the air intake for the radiator is at least a foot off the ground.

If you are asking the AACA to help perform this I would say try the NASCAR website.

I wonder what the result would be if they went back to carburetors but ran a 2 barrel instead of a 4 with the restrictor plate.  Then get rid of the post race inspections - remember 25 yrs ago when they displayed all the parts that they had seized during pre-race inspection.  If they manage to sneak something past the inspectors pre-race let them have it, might break the draft up.  I can't help but think that Newman will have his own ideas being both a racer and an engineer.  

Why not just go back to "stock" cars. If the factory builds it, you can race it. Sometimes Ford will have a faster car, sometimes Chevy, and maybe Toyota once in a while with a FWD Camry. 

I think this kind of crash is pretty horrific, but every guy out there knows that's part of the gig. Even 20 years ago, that crash might not have been survivable. That's all good. They do seem to take safety seriously and as someone said up above, the celebration at the end was pretty hollow knowing what had just happened. I bet the winner only changed his hat six times for the sponsors instead of ten.

On the other hand, I kind of miss the days when you'd knock a guy out of the race and he'd be waiting for you to come around again so he could throw his helmet through your windshield and his pit crew was already elbow-deep in a brawl with the your pit crew. THAT was some sport...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Why not just go back to "stock" cars.

You mean like the old Australian Super Cars where the doors still opened?  I don't know if that series still runs but that was the last real stock car racing that I can recall.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

You mean like the old Australian Super Cars where the doors still opened?  I don't know if that series still runs but that was the last real stock car racing that I can recall.

Super Cars are still going, well for 2020 at least. With GM closing down Holden in recent days it's not known if the series will survive. It was basically a two horse race Holden V Ford. But with Chev Camaros now being sold here they could be the replacement vehicle for the current Holden Sedans. After all, in 2019 Ford used the Mustang here instead of the deceased Falcon Sedan. BTW the Mustang dominated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Guess what they need is an adaptive cruise control requirement.

(not to propose a rule, just thinking what could work)

You mean NASCAR still uses Carbs !?

I never liked bracket racing either.

No, no carbs..... The winning engine;

Racing engines video

Race engine