keiser31

Daytona 500 wreck

For me the bumping is fine.  There is no other way to pass a car on your own on these restrictor plate races.  The cars are all the same.  You can’t push the pedal down any more than they already do, to the floor all the way around the track.  They need to allow the teams to modify the cars to find speed rather than depending on the drivers to pushing each other around.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Just have a requirement that the air intake for the radiator is at least a foot off the ground.

If you are asking the AACA to help perform this I would say try the NASCAR website.

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Just have a requirement that the air intake for the radiator is at least a foot off the ground.

At 200 mph or near those cars would get a bunch of air underneath and would be taking off all over the track

I wonder what the result would be if they went back to carburetors but ran a 2 barrel instead of a 4 with the restrictor plate.  Then get rid of the post race inspections - remember 25 yrs ago when they displayed all the parts that they had seized during pre-race inspection.  If they manage to sneak something past the inspectors pre-race let them have it, might break the draft up.  I can't help but think that Newman will have his own ideas being both a racer and an engineer.  

Why not just go back to "stock" cars. If the factory builds it, you can race it. Sometimes Ford will have a faster car, sometimes Chevy, and maybe Toyota once in a while with a FWD Camry. 

I think this kind of crash is pretty horrific, but every guy out there knows that's part of the gig. Even 20 years ago, that crash might not have been survivable. That's all good. They do seem to take safety seriously and as someone said up above, the celebration at the end was pretty hollow knowing what had just happened. I bet the winner only changed his hat six times for the sponsors instead of ten.

On the other hand, I kind of miss the days when you'd knock a guy out of the race and he'd be waiting for you to come around again so he could throw his helmet through your windshield and his pit crew was already elbow-deep in a brawl with the your pit crew. THAT was some sport...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Read that Ryan Newman has his eyes open and is talking with doctors and family members, that is amazing after that event. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Why not just go back to "stock" cars.

You mean like the old Australian Super Cars where the doors still opened?  I don't know if that series still runs but that was the last real stock car racing that I can recall.

• Like 1

Lock bumpers? Not really. He dropped low to block the pass. Then maneuvering to his right when the "bump" happened. That will spin a car even if the bumpers do not "lock."

Guess what they need is an adaptive cruise control requirement.

(not to propose a rule, just thinking what could work)

You mean NASCAR still uses Carbs !?

I never liked bracket racing either.

7 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

You mean like the old Australian Super Cars where the doors still opened?  I don't know if that series still runs but that was the last real stock car racing that I can recall.

Super Cars are still going, well for 2020 at least. With GM closing down Holden in recent days it's not known if the series will survive. It was basically a two horse race Holden V Ford. But with Chev Camaros now being sold here they could be the replacement vehicle for the current Holden Sedans. After all, in 2019 Ford used the Mustang here instead of the deceased Falcon Sedan. BTW the Mustang dominated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Guess what they need is an adaptive cruise control requirement.

(not to propose a rule, just thinking what could work)

You mean NASCAR still uses Carbs !?

I never liked bracket racing either.

No, no carbs..... The winning engine;

Racing engines video

Race engine

What is that at t=28 seconds in the video?

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

What is that at t=28 seconds in the video?

My guess,  a super oil pump for a "dry sump" system?

• Like 1

Racing engines video

maybe in that pic the manifold and carb are removed

NASCAR has used a throttle body fuel injection system for several years now. 

• Like 1

A least they could change the name to what it is, The Daytona 500 mile Commercial,  just like the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and the Rose bowl Parade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You mean "The Daytona 500ish mile Commercial".

Stopping by my Toyota Dealer today with this engine picture. Will tell them I want a Toyota powered with this one!!!

• Like 1

We had a local driver who competed in the, as I remember, 1957 Daytona Race. He finished something like 15th which he considered very good considering his pit crew had to change tires with a lug wrench, not being able to afford power equipment. Johnny Mackison I think.

NASCAR is just a business. Built to make make money for the France family and everyone else involved. I started losing interest right after "Days of Thunder" was released.

It was good for business and I get that, but for me it meant that I couldn't go to Florida for a week in the winter and afford to stay in Daytona to watch stock car racing anymore.

I would assume drivers are considered employees of their respective teams and as such are covered under Workers Compensation laws.  Cannot Imagine what their workers Comp Insurance must cost.

Even I have a Tee handle (lug wrench)

It is amazing all of the changes I've seen (remember TVs with channel 1), from sand and stock cars to superspeedways. Probably the high point was the Plymouth and Dodge winged warriors when cars were still very different. Then 20 years later we had the freight trains. Didn't the restrictor plates come in because places like Talledega were hitting over 200 mph ? Seems like I remember one (Smoky ?) that looked fine through the carb plates at tech but dissolved when hit by fuel. And then there was the 3/4 replica Chevelle & the car that drove off without a fuel tank...

Still think "Stand On It" to be the best novel of racing in the good old daze ever produced particularly since Bill Neely was there for everything (Goodyear rep) and I know quite a few of the incidents actually happened (and even had a finish on the roof). Read it & skip the movie.

ps "independent contractors".

My Uncle started in TV as an on air personality in 1952 or so. To supplement his meagre salary he also "called" races at some of the local dirt tracks. One of his jobs was to determine which drivers were too drunk to drive.  A little drunk was OK but if they were really plastered he had to black flag them.  Made for some exciting racing.

Restorer 32, we have a local guy that was a member of a NASCAR pit crew back in the '50s. The car was built in a local service station and he was the jackman. When it came down to pack for the race he said they took the 50 pound floor jack from the station. He said it took about 10 or 12 pumps to get the car high enough to change the tire. Can't imaging the NASCAR crews today using one of those today.